Style

BN Beauty: Check Out 4 Fabulous Protective Hairstyles for Natural Hair

The Chic Natural hair Tutorial - Bellanaija - September 2014002

The -ember months are here! And with their arrival naturalistas everywhere have to keep their hair safe from the cold/harsh weather ahead.

In light of this BN Beauty is bringing you 4 amazing protective hairstyles that you could adopt to get you through this harsh times. Straight from ladies of the Youtube world who love their hair just as much as you do, here are 4 videos that would inspire your next hair do.

We would love to hear from you too! Be sure to tag us via Instagram: @bellanaijabeauty in your natural hair photos for a possible repost.

Enjoy.

1. Fashion to Live: The Twisted Goddess Protective Hairstyle

Fashion to Live natural hairstyle - Bellanaija - September 2014

When we came across this hairstyle we immediately knew you would love it. It is fun, elegant and is one of those hairstyles you can dress up or down. She decided  not to smoothe down her edges, but you could choose to. Watch how to get it.

Watch

2. The Chic Natural: The French Braided Bun Updo

The Chic Natural hair Tutorial - Bellanaija - September 2014

This one’s for the ladies who are in between weaves, just had their hair stretched out or just want to try something new. I love the afro-punk feel of  her hairstyle and think it is a great way to spice up the regular up -do.

This will take some focus and determination, but we promise the end result will be fabulous.

Watch

3. Millicent Swift: The Queen Braid Back-twist

Protective Styling Hairstyles - Bellanaija - September2014

We love how big and bold Millicent’s hair is and if you have got hair like her’s, this hairstyle would look great on you. You would basically need some bobby pins and moisturizing cream (and maybe some water) to get this look down.

Watch

4. Michelle B: No Fuss Easy Everyday Protective Style

Protective Styling Hairstyles - Bellanaija - September2014007

One thing we definitely like about Michelle B is how we can relate to her. There are those days you just don’t know what to do with your hair and you’ve run out of bookmarked pages on Bellanaija Beauty 🙂 – that’s where she comes in. With this easy protective style, you can be out the door in 10 minutes.

This is also a great style for ladies who are transitioning their hair.

Watch

Video Credit: Fashion to Live | The Chic Natural | Millicent Swift | Michelle B (Youtube)

1. yassbeetch

September 3, 2014 at 1:17 pm

One day sha

2. sum1special

September 3, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Girls are so creative with hair this days.

3. AVID BLOG READER

September 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Most of them have loose curls. Please show me some of a 4c tight curly hair

• wendy

September 3, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Dalu

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm

The First one is definitely a 4b/4c texture.

• india

September 3, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Amen. All these natural hair styles never address truly kinky African hair with no white mixture

• Uju

September 3, 2014 at 10:23 pm

You spoke my mind.

• Iya

September 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Actually they all can be done on 4c hair. The first style actually already looks 4c to me. Lol. The second can DEFINITELY be done on blow dried hair. The rest can be done on amply stretched 4c hair so it can still have some texture…methinks…

4. jay

September 3, 2014 at 3:40 pm

please show us more nigerian wearable hairstyles that we can do in naija.

5. chinwe

September 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Ooo can I post my own pic

6. Cheliz

September 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Bella please more of this. I cant wait to start styling this fro!! theshapecube.blogspot.com

7. Jhennique

September 3, 2014 at 4:47 pm

and these are all for people with mostly long hair. what bout mid length and short hair

• Ifeoma

September 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Spot on!!! this post makes no sense . Is this for Nigerians or African American and mixed raced ppl ??? she sef that posted this is her hair like this ???? na wa o

• Tudbee

September 4, 2014 at 1:24 am

Wish I could love this multiple times.

8. nene

September 3, 2014 at 6:17 pm

show hairstyles for people with 4c hair, not all these curly girls with manageable hair.

• Tudbee

September 4, 2014 at 1:23 am

Thank you o. I’ve bern transitioning for a year and despite my search I have yet to find a blogger or styles for 4c hair. Most have mixed texture somewhere so I was highly disappointed to click vthis post andsee them here again. I also need same for my daughter’s hair not all these mixed hair. Their products don’t work for us.

• ELIZABETH

September 4, 2014 at 3:41 am

AFRICANEXPORT, whoissugar, glamazini, girlsloveyourcurls (She and her daughters have 4c hair and thread their hair for a blow dried look) and many others have 4c hair on YT.

• Berry Dakara

September 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

Where are you looking??? There are no less than 20-30 nigerian blogs that center on natural hair.

9. Hairmillionaire

September 3, 2014 at 10:44 pm

A lot of people are saying show ladies with 4c hair, stretch it out (on freshly washed hair or dry hair) by braiding it into 6 tightly, then when it is dry you can achieve such styles, and it will be easier to manage. If your hair is shorter than those in the photo, then you can create a variation of the style.

• Lilio

September 4, 2014 at 5:15 am

You obviously don’t have 4c hair else you will know the struggle is real. Those styles will not werk for 4c hair…period

10. Miss Mo

September 4, 2014 at 3:46 am

Haba ladies, is #1 not kinky or 4c enough.

What i’ve noticed with Naija girls vs African American women is that naija girls know nothing about hair care. They are too lazy and don’t want to research.

African Americans have beautiful hair for a reason. They simple take good care of it.

Put quality time and effort into your hair and it will grow out nicely and healthy.

11. Iya

September 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I honestly hate the term African-American hair or ‘mixed’ hair….race or country of origin doesn’t determine hair texture…take proper care of whatever texture of hair you’ve been blessed with, using the right TECHNIQUES especially (there’s only so far products can go, no matter how great they are) and watch your hair flourish. For those complaining that there are no 4c textured ladies on youtube, I truly wonder where you’ve all been looking. In addition to the ones mentioned earlier, there’s Naturally High (beautiful looooooong 4c hair – waist length I think), Dephne Madyara (loooove her), Osa Osula…there are quite a number of them. Just do your research….

12. OLUWABEE

September 4, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Wow thanks will be trying out some of these styles.

And for those who say it doesn’t work u can learn 1 or 2 things or just work around it. and for me #1 & #3 is kinky enuf or mayb we just jump to the comment section strait..

that aside my office pple go take tomoro. One of these styles coming up! Thanks BN!

I see Berry here of African Naturalista if im right She is a hair blogger

13. Nyla

September 4, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I appreciate this post a lot. And btw not all Nigerians have 4c hair. I have 3c/4a and sections of 4b in my hair. No I am not in any way shape or form mixed so yeah… Also like somebody above put (even the writer self) that some of the style are done on stretched hair. All hair can be stretched. Just saying. Don’t kill me oh pls.

14. Miss Mo

September 4, 2014 at 11:36 pm

That’s right Oluwabee #3 too is Kinky enuff (4c).

Naija girls just need to make an effort. Imagine them asking “what is leave-in conditioner?”, “what is deep conditioning?”. You give them tips and sites to go to and they keep asking you flimsy questions.

Ladies Blackgirllonghair.com is a fantastic blog for natural hair. A little reading and research goes a long way.

Men this natural hair movement has made me respect African American women. They are just too much. I salute them…..