News

Leaked Video Shows NFL Star Ray Rice Punching Wife in Elevator

BellaNaija.com

Baltimore Ravens v Cincinnati BengalsLeaked footage of Baltimore Ravens football player, Ray Rice punching his wife in an elevator, has been posted online.

In the video, Rice is shown punching Janay Palmer, his then fiancee, in the face twice, knocking her out. He then drags her unconscious body out of the elevator.

The incident took place in an elevator at Revel Hotel in Atlantic City on February 15th this year, The Independent reports.

As a result of the incident, the National Football League (NFL) declared a two-match ban for Rice for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

The ban was announced on July 24th.

According to reports, NFL authorities saw an earlier abridged version of the video months ago, which did not show the full extent of the violence displayed in the currently leaked full-length video.

With the release of this new video, many have condemned the NFL, stating that a more severe punishment should have been given to him.

According to reports, Rice and Palmer got married just one month after the assault.

Here’s a video of the incident:

Update:

Following the public outrage surrounding the video, The Baltimore Ravens have terminated Rice’s contract, and the NFL has suspended him indefinitely, Boston Globe reports.

The team’s management made the announcement via a one-statement press release: ‘The Baltimore Ravens terminated the contract of RB Ray Rice this afternoon.’’

***

Domestic violence is and ALWAYS will be unacceptable.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Andy Lyons

Video Credit: TMZ

1. Mademoiselle

September 8, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Hmm na wa o. Well, she still went on to marry him, so that one is her cup of zobo!

2. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

September 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

And to think she went ahead to marry him a month after that! Sigh! I won’t be shocked if she records a video saying he’s a changed man now. This is shocking!

3. Shoogah

September 8, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Saw this earlier today and it was very heartbreaking to watch. They were actually engaged at the time, and she ended up marrying the guy after this incident. I just don’t understand her thinking process, but I guess it’s not for me to understand, all in all, I wish them well.

In my opinion, this guy is a sick individual who needs help.

4. Ivy

September 8, 2014 at 3:30 pm

What is the brouhaha about? “According to reports, Rice and Palmer got married just one month after the assault”…..Ermmm helloooo! Wetin consine NFA? Then when the divorce she will join Atlanta Exes abi what is it called? Not trying to be callous but why would a human being still get married to someone that punched her? As in, what on earth did he do to make her forget? How did she smile on their wedding day? How did she say her vows? Jeez! Women be wise biko. But why listen to me? I’m not even married. Swerve joor.
    Forgive my rant.

• The One

September 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

@Ivy , She must have had long term memory loss after that punch. So he just told her she fell and hit her head. Fast forward to marriage.

BTW did anyone see her hitting/pushing him first before they went in the lift as well as inside? Physical assault goes both ways. Only he strong pass her being an NFL player on top.

• Stephanie-Feld

September 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Yes I saw it. She slapped his head before they got into the elevator. Stephen Smith got suspended from ESPN because he said something with regards to people provoking domestic violence.

• slice

September 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm

actually he spat on her first and then she pushed him (the push is a non issue)

• Nahum

September 9, 2014 at 9:27 am

@Ivy, I know what made her marry him…the money and making sure that all the side chicks don’t have him. She knew what she was doing and it was driven by pure greed. This is what happens when we don’t teach our daughters to value themselves and work hard for their own money. They sell themselves so cheaply to any d%ckhead

5. bruno

September 8, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Women are the cause of their own problems.

• Non professional opinion

September 8, 2014 at 3:41 pm

You are right, she slammed her face into his fist.
      I have a close GAY friend in an abusive relationship with a toxic man he can’t seem to walk away from and the beating he collects regularly no be play sumptin, so poor decision making is not exclusive to females.

• bruno

September 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm

@non professional, pls stop stalking me, its not personal, are we suppose to believe you when you say u have “a close GAY friend” in an abusive relationship really? Someone like you, the only person you know that is gay is elton john, LOL.you don’t have to lie to pass a message across, its childish and tacky. The truth is very bitter, people like you can’t handle it, I assume ur a girl, and someone like you, your boyfriend/ husband will beat heaven and hell out of u but u will still stay in that relationship, Sorry for you. Last time I will reply you. Good day.

• Ms Geeky 30

September 8, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Please ignore Bruno. Not even worth your time my dear.

• Non professional opinion

September 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Oh Bruno, poor little baby gay lmao. Did you just come out? Is that why you think you invented homosexuality. Lmao! I have had gay friends and acquaintances all my life and the only ones I know that are as evil as you are the ones that aren’t fully out and they blame straight people for that.. Grow some balls ( instead of just shoving them in your mouth) and live your truth and the world will be a much more beautiful place.
      I’ve never met Sir Elton in my life, but a bitchy woman bashing “bottom” is easy to spot from a mile away. You are right Bruno, the truth is very very bitter.

• Amazingly me

September 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Hahahahaha I laughed so at at the “beating he collects daily” lol an him be mumu ooo. How another man go dey beat another man wey them both get penis all in the name of love???? Oti oo mbanu ngwanu an wrestle mania to begin for that house be that oo.

6. tatafo!

September 8, 2014 at 3:38 pm

And she fa, she went ahead to marry him. Oh my dear.

7. Stephanie-Feld

September 8, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I am just wondering how someone gets beat to the pulp like this ; only for them to marry the dick turd abuser a month later. Is it low self esteem because I am not sure what to make of this.

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

At least now we know why divorce cases are constantly on the rise!

8. jean

September 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

And she got married to him a month later…..ok…..see how he dragged her out and dumped her like a bag of rice…..And my sister later married this pig…..ok…..

9. madman

September 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Women staying in abusive relationships since the 1900s all because of money. Well, at least, you can say you died wearing a chanel purse.

10. Smallie

September 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm

OSHI!!! she went ahead to marry him so please lets move along

11. Person

September 8, 2014 at 4:24 pm

She must have had a concussion, at the very least. Must explain why she married him.

12. Ifeoma Imoh

September 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Just a 2-match ban??? That’s outrageous! On the other hand, if she went ahead to marry him few months later, that is obviously her cup of green tea.

13. sum1special

September 8, 2014 at 5:17 pm

oh my God..that guy is a monster and she married him after this…..okay now minding my business

14. shady

September 8, 2014 at 5:29 pm

what a nasty piece of work. He knocked her blocks off and drag her like a rag doll. . She still married him ? She is the author of her own problem

15. Jenni

September 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Who married this type of freak. He really should be in jail and banned for life from the NFL. She is really needy to marry him a month later. Sad.

african-sweetheart.com

16. Que

September 8, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I want to believe there is some profession based reason they banned him, Abi if there was no evidence would they still ban him? I dont know what banning will solve, it will just give him more home time to pound away!! The only banning he needed was from her or maybe they shlda banned him from getting married….but hell no…She NEEDS to be a Mrs…come what may… cos I don’t get marrying him after this!

This isn’t about blaming the abused, its about making people take freaking responsibility for their lives! When u walk up the aisle and sign ‘I Do’ after nonsense like this, without guns pointing at you, forcing you….then yes…whatever follows is your fault as much as his! Start getting that in your head… Rships especially lifelong ones like marriage require mental maturity and stability…..if you dont have it stay on your own….

The other day I listened to a woman on radio narrate how she suspected her- then fiance, now husband, of being a paedophile, but went on to marry him…fast forward bout 13yrs n he has abused 2 of their 3 daughters and sbe called crying bout not knowing what to do… and I wondered how???….
    Let me not get into my family friend who married a chronic debtor, covering for him with her salary, fast forward a few yrs he has run away n abandoned her wit 3kids, debts. ?.supposedly in search of money…. again I ask Why??

When you have MAJOR evidence to reveal deadly character traits and you still go in like bond girl to the rescue, then you come and start asking questions later, biko na who I go ask??….

Lord give me understanding…cos anger is what I feel at the moment! #Rantunintended! Women need to do better sha! You’re a human being, worthy of a great life, start believing it, and acting like it dammit!

• Amazingly me

September 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Totally agree with you. These signs n tell takes are abound daily, but pple choose to ignore them and start lamenting later. Foolishness!!!

• teekay

September 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

God bless you for this

17. toyin olaleye

September 8, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I live in Baltimore and have seen this woman a couple of times… none of us are in a position to judge…this was a bad time in their lives… and they are in the public eye …we dont know what happened to cause this, but it did happen… no one can call her a dummy or unwise because we don’t know if their problems were worked out and are still being worked out.. he didnt do a good thing in this situation…but all I know is that they have a beautiful little girl together…and people need to think about her before they keep draggin this on…

• Dee

September 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm

abet give me a break, what problems did they work out within a month. a man like that needs long therapy. its women like you that marry abusers with your silly excuses. that guy did worse to her than many armed robbers and you are saying what, you set you need help

• Jo!

September 9, 2014 at 2:01 am

So because you’ve seen her a couple of times now(and her daughter is cute), you understand what’s going on in her head and family?

Please don’t excuse rubbish, fact is, this babe went ahead and MARRIED a guy that knocked her out, I don’t even want to talk about this anymore

• teekay

September 9, 2014 at 9:18 am

There is no excuse for violence, she as seen how terrible is anger is and still went ahead to marry him. After we keep hearing of how a man beat is wife to death, I dnt just know relationship this days people just close their eyes to the obvious all because of greed.i know nobody is perfect but what we must know is that whatever bad behaviour ur bf/gf have will dating would become worse when u marry. If u now decide to keep up with it good luck

• Nahum

September 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

I cant even believe that you wrote such trash. So you have seen her a couple of times for all of 3 seconds and now you are an expert on their marriage??? Na wa for you o. Abeg think before you talk

18. Shadie

September 8, 2014 at 6:21 pm

She is not married to the guy she is married to the money and lifestyle most women are blindsided like that. Her choice her pain. What as sad life though.

• Joan85

September 8, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Well no more money if that is why she went ahead to marry him, because the Ravens just cut him and the NFL has suspended him indefinitely. Knowing this type of man, he will channel his frustration to her…

19. AVID BLOG READER

September 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm

The things women will go through for love, money and to save face.

20. NaijaPikin

September 8, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Well the check is definitely more important than her well being……..What some people will do for money/fame/attention is crazy

21. dinga

September 8, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Once a beater, always a Beater! She must have a very low self esteem for allowing this monster to marry her. Money and honour is not worth the beating or emotional distress. This remind me of my friend who is allowing her boyfriend to abuse her in all manners. She even allows the dude to bring and sleep with other women while she is in the kitchen cooking for them. Women, love yourself before any men and know that you deserve R.E.S.P.E.C.T., CARING, PROTECTION and LOVE from real men. Gold help her survive in the hell she condemned herself in!

22. A-de-le not adele

September 8, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Could it be love….. in Bob Marley’s voice

23. Anon

September 8, 2014 at 8:39 pm

The Ravens have terminated his contract.

24. Queen

September 8, 2014 at 9:46 pm

She probably married him for the money and now that his contract been terminated, I wonder what she will stay for again.

• Amazingly me

September 8, 2014 at 11:34 pm

She will take him to the cleaners and collect all he has now hahaha

25. Wale

September 8, 2014 at 11:31 pm

A real man walks away. No matter how much the woman provokes him. You should NEVER lay your hands on a woman.

• Halia

September 9, 2014 at 7:53 am

Absolutely Wale…and women we need to learn to not fight like we re men.

26. ao

September 9, 2014 at 1:20 am

After watching the video, I feel justified in applauding Jay Z for not hitting Solange in that elevator after she struck him several times. Had Jay Z hit Solange, he would have never recovered from the public backlash and Beyonce’s career would have suffered as well. Jay Z displayed high emotional IQ and in hindsight came out on top. As for this ex-football player, he has lost a lucrative career. I hope he learns his lesson: ditch toxic relationships because they are bad for business.

On another note, always assume that an elevator, especially in the US, has a camera especially if located in a business.

27. LILO

September 9, 2014 at 4:53 am

The fundamental issue here is that these rags to riches athletes, rappers, etc are nasty insecure jerkoffs because they think women love them for money and nothing more…when a man thinks he wouldn’t be bagging you had it not be for his baller status, of course he will drag you up and down the elevator. Oh and your prove him right that you are a bloody no self esteem having leeche who deserves more ass whooping when you marry him a month later…all cos of glitz and glam of being mrs raven’s running back

28. teekay

September 9, 2014 at 9:25 am

Girls we see problem nd run into it, when are we going to learn that our lives doesn’t depend on any man. Money cannot buy happiness, even if u wear prada gucci nd the likes if ur marriage isn’t happy all those things won’t bring happiness. If you think you are successful in your career and your marriage is crumbled you are not successful o. Marriage is a life time commitment once you marry the wrong person u r completely ruined. Pls marry ur best friend and pray for ur spouse. It is well

29. Omoté

September 9, 2014 at 10:00 am

This one that we are being more catholic than the pope, d babe marry am one month later oh!

30. Omo1

September 9, 2014 at 10:16 am

Never fight in an elevator!.. Didn’t he learn anything form JayA/Solanges’ case

31. hazel

September 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

he was fired from the team

32. mama Iyabo

September 9, 2014 at 12:14 pm

hes just an animal! thank God for my HUBBY… still the “BEST THING”.

33. verita

September 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm

with his being fired from the team one can only expect him to be angrier and beat her some more till he kills her. sad

34. jhennique

September 9, 2014 at 4:42 pm

i never support a man laying his hands on a woman but women too should learn to keep their hands to herself. does anyone notice she actually struck out at him 3 times and then was still lunging at thim before he brot up his fist and she fell like a sack of rice. women that provoke their husbands with their mouth and hands and when the man finally gets defensive starts to play victim…………………….. im not taking sides here now i am a woman but sometimes one can only take so much. excuse my poor punctuation.

35. Peace

September 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

People are so quick to jump to conclusion. They both assaulted each other and they were got arrested in Feb when it happened. She physically assaulted him, he assaulted her too (Yes his punch was hard). If you know you cannot handle been hit, please don’t lay your hands on anyone because i assure you, not everyone will act like JayZ.
    They have worked on their issues (hopefully it doesn’t happened again), they moved on clearly…Why can’t we? What is our business? Suspending him in my opinion and firing him from the Ravens was way too much…
    Ihave girlfriends who i have seen physically hit and injured their partners, nothing was done when police came….but when one of them hit her, omgoodness they were about to file charges upon charges…I was like what rubbish!