Music

Charly Boy Shares His Thoughts On “Religion/ Mumugiousity” | Read

BellaNaija.com

Charly BoyIs Religion just an avenue for ‘Mumugiosity’?

Veteran musician Charly Boy shares his opinion about the extents of Religion in Nigeria as well as the effect of ‘Mumugiosity’, a word he coined himself with Linda Ikeji‘s Blog.

Read the article below!

For starters, don’t pick up the dictionary to look up ‘Mumugiousity’, I coined it myself but you go soon grab weytin I wan yarn.

As I approach this topic I want to be careful so readers don’t get the whole essence of this write up, twisted. E no dey hard some people. Religion is a touchy subject for a lot of people and in my household it is generally not considered “polite conversation.”

For some, an attack on religion is an attack on their god or gods. I only wish to put down certain points or aspects of organized religion I’m not comfortable with, I am not questioning anyone’s belief in a personal god.

In Nigeria, religion has helped us to remain sane or else we all for donkolo with the way our environment is stifling us. Religion can give people a sense of community and make people feel welcomed.  But life is never that simple sha. Kai! Oh lord.

In Nigeria especially, religion has turned a lot of my people into MUMU’s.  Instead of learning to discern truth on their own and formulate their own mindset, they’re told how to think. These are the people engaged in ‘Mumugiousity’. For them Religion has turned them into group soul’s, sheep, cows and goat with their Shepherd as their pastors, who have erased their trust in their own intellect and gradually convinced them to put their trust in them(pastors) as the only true men of god, convincing them that without them they would be lost. Hummmm! They fall for this like very poor people would fall for a bag of rice. Odikwarisky…

You have become ‘mumurized’ when you can forgo the little intelligence you have and on top of all that, you become a hypocrite. Religion is filling mumupeople with fear; it is one of the main reasons why mumupeople are afraid of living. And when I say ‘living’ I don’t mean just surviving. To survive is one thing, even stones do that, but to live is a completely different thing. To live means to be sensitive, it means to feel, to grow, to discover your potential and achieve to higher states of being each and every moment. These days nothing happens without it being remote controlled from the village, someone must have sent it, there are more demons waiting to destroy us, chineke God are you there?

Once you are a religious mumu you will not tolerate religious ideologies that are different from the one you follow. This is why you can see religious mumu people fighting nonreligious ones.

To identify with a religious ideology, and call it the only truth and way, leads to tremendously negative consequences – hatred, tribalism and all kinds of violence. Just think of how many wars have been carried out throughout history by some mumu’s in the name of God and religion.Abegi!

To live means to learn and life is a continuous lesson. When, however, you grow into ‘mumuship’, conditioned to believe what is right and wrong according to religion, and told that to doubt religion means to go to hell, naturally you become afraid of seeking true knowledge. You stop searching to find the truth, to learn, and hence to grow as a human being. You can’t believe how many of us have stopped growing…Millions.

To blindly follow any ideology without asking questions simply means to restrict your perception, suppress yourself, and live in hypocrisy — in other words, to live in suffering and misery.

Many mumu people choose to follow, even though they suffer from this choice, simply because religion frees them from personal responsibility. To live spontaneously one has to take responsibility for oneself, and this is certainly painful. Life is made of choices, and to make the right choice is not always easy. So ‘mumu’ people prefer not to choose for themselves, but to have others choose for them. They prefer to walk on paths made by others, instead of creating their own path. But unless we stop having some of these wayo people telling these mumu people what to do or what not to do, some of us will never be free. And unless we are free, we will never be happy and peaceful.

Yes, you can have a personal relationship with God starting with giving love to your neighbour, just don’t let some masquerades turn you and your life to ‘Mumugiousity’. Fire burn dem.

Credit: Linda Ikeji

1. TANTRA

October 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I see some elements of truth in what you say,Charly man.

2. Ona

October 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm

But they won’t hear u tho Charlieboy! They won’t hear u! #mumugiosityindeed!

3. Tunji

October 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Word!!!

4. party

October 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

for once charly make sense to my own understanding, people fear nd worship their pastors and churches more dan God.

• Owelle

October 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

He actually almost always makes sense. The guy is very smart. He’s just different.

5. Bolanle

October 17, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Charly boy hit the nail on the head with this article! Fundamentalism is the bane of our society. To take such an arrogant standpoint and think that your religion is the only way to live life, will forever cause conflict. At the heart of Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the light (John 14:6). In Matthew 10:33, it says, “But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.” Is it fair that if I do good things my entire life but refuse to accept Jesus, I will perish? When murderers who accept Jesus will go to heaven as long as they repent? That is what is inherently wrong with organized religion! In Islam, “He who disbelieves in Allah after his having believed, not he who is compelled while his heart is at rest on account of faith, but he who opens (his) breast to disbelief– on these is the wrath of Allah, and they shall have a grievous chastisement.” If you are either Muslim or Christian and you do not believe in anything I have written, then you don’t really believe in a monotheistic religion. I posed a question to my deeply religious Mum who converted from Islam to Christianity in her early twenties. I asked, “Mum, do you believe that Grandma and Grandpa are in heaven?” She answered,”of course!” I said “well you can’t really believe that, because they were Muslim and they refused to accept Jesus Christ as their lord and saviour.” She retorted,” well you can’t tell me after all the good they’ve done, they would go to hell.” See what problems religions cause?
    For your loved ones who don’t believe in your religion to have a heavenly life after death, you would have to believe that there are multiple heavens just so you sleep better at night. But if you accept that, it means you need to accept that there are many Gods!
    As far as I’m concerned, religion is a load of horse shit. Don’t waste your prayer on me though. you need it more than I do!

• Mohammad

October 19, 2014 at 3:53 am

Aunty Bolanle I love you for that comment. Worse is how people make deductions using religion which is meant to be a private matter to enact laws that affect everyone forgetting that not everyone shares their religious beliefs.

• Bolanle

October 19, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Thank you Mohammed! P.S I’m not Aunty oh! I’m only 20! I agree with your comment. We have lost the ability to separate their personal biases from legal matters. For example, the anti-gay bill is a matter of personal opinion and morality. Therefore it shouldn’t be criminalised! Passing bills like that just opens the floodgate! If you prosecute an individual for engaging in homosexual acts, then we must prosecute adulterers as well! Anyway, glad to see that there are other forward thinking Nigerians out there!

Carpe Diem

• Bimbo

October 20, 2014 at 7:27 pm

You are much, much smarter than your age, Bolanle. It took me years to discover the truth about religion.

• Bolanle

October 21, 2014 at 12:09 am

Thank you, Bimbo!

6. Idomagirl

October 17, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Mumugiosity! Apt!

7. Charis

October 18, 2014 at 10:44 am

To each his/her own.

8. Femme de l'Avenir

October 20, 2014 at 10:56 am

Charlyboy is a smart man.

9. Tobito

March 3, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Everyone has a choice to make but all religions are certainly not the same, how can one tell you not to fight by the sword and yet another tell you to kill. A house divided against itself cannot stand. Not all human beings are as mumucious as Charley Boy thinks. A lot are staying in the place of their gain. My friend looked for a child for years and went through mockery, pressure and shame. She went to a church, her pastor prayed for her. Right now she is expecting a second child. She also received her green card quicker than she thought she would, she is in school doing very well and attending the same church. Tell me what is mumucious about it. Her life is getting better and she is extremely happy. She’s always calling me about one good thing or another. She still called me yesterday to inform me about an intellectual gain. Let everyman be truthful to themselves o. As for me, if I begin to write what I have gained being born again, this page will be too full. Scholarship to an ivy league, tuition and accommodation fully paid for, exceptional husband and children, thriving company etc. I beg, I no be mumu o. I will continue to serve Jesus.