News

Ladies! Your “Brazilian Hair” Weave-on may Actually be Goat Hair

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey Ladies. This one is for you!

We know how much you love that human hair. From the Brazilian, to the Argentine, and Peruvian, and everything in between.

But did you know that a lot of this so called premium hair is actually mixed with goat hair? Other times, the “Brazilian” hair is actually Chinese hair.

According to BBC, because of the increased costs of obtaining high-quality human hair, manufacturers in China have resorted to buying moderate quantities of real hair (which is often Chinese hair), and then mixing it with goat hair to save costs and to increase the volume of supply.

Goat Brazilian Hair

Lily,  a Chinese woman manufactures and sells wigs and other extensions was one of the people who made this revelation to BBC.

“We say it is Indian hair or Brazilian hair, but in fact it is normally Chinese hair or even goat hair. They never realise. This is the only way we can keep things cheap,” she said.

_78109063_china-hair-factory

A hair factory in China

She also stated that most of her customers are Africans.

“We used to sell to Europe and America, but now nearly 100% of my clients are in Africa,” she said.

The Africans are reportedly mostly Nigerians, Ghanaians, Congolese, South Africans, Angolans and Ugandans.

One of Lily’s customers shared her thoughts on why she purchases the hair, even though she knows it isn’t totally authentic.

She said:

“Of course I know the hair is not real. The Chinese think we’re stupid. I come all the way from Uganda and they think I don’t know hair.

I laugh a lot when I go home and I know that the beautiful women of Kampala have goats on their heads.”

Photo Credit: Tommyandone /Dreamstime.com/BBC

1. baboushka

October 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha Bella please no kill pesin this afternoon hahahahahaha. That is why I stick to high quality synthetic hair I no fit shout this is too funny!

• ronke

October 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I agree, brazillian hair looks good, but after seeing Chris Rock’s documentary I changed my mind.

• SiSi

October 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Chris Rock’s “”GOOD HAIR”” is an eye opener o! I watched it and changed my mind. women sacrifice hair for better things in life meanwhile what the give away become some other people’s luxurious belongings…

• Dr. N

October 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

U saw it too. Made my skin crawl. I admire from afar biko.

2. AlphaBetaDeltaTheta

October 14, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I’ve always suspected it ooo. But the goat must be one fine ass goat to produce this kind beta hair that I might have o. As long as it curls and the curls are bouncy I don’t have wahala really. Its even better than temple hair (heres hoping the goat didn’t get harmed during the process)

• NaWa

October 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm

LOL…..im not team natural or team relaxer ..dont really care i do or have done both #beentheredonethat….but your comment made me realise something…Some people say its just hair which i agree but are we not getting to a sick place as a people where African women would proudly wear goat hair instead of admiring and taking care of their natural hair?

• goat hair ke?

October 14, 2014 at 3:14 pm

1 million likes for your comment. See the other girl in her proud moment, to be frolicking around town with goat hair on her head and they are the first to call someone razz, uncouth, classless. Paying so much money for goat hair, the height of stupidity.

• AlphaBetaDeltaTheta

October 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I get your point but it still is just hair really, would you stop wearing a sweater just because it’s made from 100% angora wool? Nopes I think not. Going forward I think the Chinese (or whoever these hair dealers are) should be upfront with their source so we can all make up our minds if we want high end (real human hair) or low end (goat hair). I’m not sentimental about hair (even though I’m natural with a good sized ‘fro) but it’s funny how people allow their hair define them. I know funny, kind, sweet and intelligent women with relaxed hair (they also rock 20+ inch weaves in bold blond colours) and I know sad, wicked, mean and spiteful women with 4c natural hair.

On a lighter note goat hair trumps synthetic hair anyday o, at least its 100% organic!! (HAHAHAHAHA)

• Akosia

October 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Team natural hair….noweave…nowigs… all low. I’d rather wear mala than goat hair. Proudly African!! Proudly natural hair!!!

• Changing Faces

October 14, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Do people not wear wool, fur and leather? Are they not from animals? #teamliveandletlive

• idoublecrossmyheart

October 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm

@Alpha…

Wearing angora sweater is not the same as wearing goat hair. Wearing leather shoes is not the same as wearing goat hair. This straw argument is just borne out of stubbornness and a desire to adhere to one’s own personal convictions despite the truth he/she is facing.

This Chinese woman knows she cannot sell this to a European. Why? Because she does not perceive Europeans as animals or equal to animals. However, she regards Africans as no different from animals and therefore, they will not have a problem wearing animal hair.

This stubbornness in your comment also shows how subpar goods are imported to Africa because THERE ARE NO STANDARDS. It looks like hair, so it must be human hair. Instead of us to critique and demand HIGH STANDARDS, we make jokes out of it and wonder why our drugs are subpar, our infrastructure are falling apart and our educational level is nothing to boast out of.

It is not JUST ABOUT HAIR…..It seeps into our consciousness and how we perceive ourselves in relation to the world.

• Author Unknown

October 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Goat could still be from Brazil 🙂

• Que

October 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm

COMMENT OF THE DECADE,!!!!!!! Lmaooooooo…..!!!

• Berry Dakara

October 15, 2014 at 9:29 am

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Lateh

October 16, 2014 at 4:06 am

Brazilian goat hair!!! Ahhh omo your comment no get part 2… You don finish matter be that

• MC

October 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

@ Alpha I fail to see (or maybe understand) the correlation between type of hair and women’s personality.
      This is about self acceptance, not whether you give money to the local beggar or not.

Personally, MY issue with weave (fake hair) is the dependency on it. Women not wanting to leave their house because they haven’t sewn their weave in yet!?!?
      I know of people that have cancelled their bday celebrations because the delivery man was yet to turn up with the hair they ordered!!!….come on man! this is hair that grows out of your scalp for free!!
      If you can not accept yourself without weave in your hair….then the person with weave in, isnt you!…simple as

• halia

October 14, 2014 at 6:31 pm

@ MC – I echo you on the dependency and in essence, the core of that dependence being rooted to self acceptance/self hate issues. At the same time, women give reasons for justifying it or purely being in denial… #letskeepitreal #selfreflection

• Femme de l'Avenir

October 15, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Ditto to your comment!

My opinion on the popular ‘Its just hair’ comment is, Yes,it is! and No, it isn’t!

Yes!,because by factor of choice, you can decide put whatever you want on your head; goat hair, yak hair, a skunk toupee…It’s your choice really.

And

No!, IMO because of 3 things: the reason of overdependence which you’ve aptly stated, the choice factor and mind-set/self acceptance factor. These reasons stem from my own natural journey of many years.

As a former relaxer/weave aficionado (user and seller), I chose to go natural not because I was inspired by any naturals around me (there were none) but because I dint even see the point of getting relaxers only to send the ensuing hours installing a weave. I loved myself weave clad but I love myself even more now. Sometimes a movement/stance/outlook finds you even when you aren’t looking for it. They say, ‘when you know better, you do better.’ The relaxed/weave-wearing me didn’t even know of the existence of this curly crown of hair that was authentically natural, that I could claim a 100% as mine. Let’s even be honest with ourselves, after a while we kinda start to believe that the damn weave grows out of our heads.

Will I wear weaves again? Probably but never in the same way knowing what I’ve unconsciously become aware of as I’ve grown in the natural journey, I think it a darn shame not knowing what you look like without all the extras, not knowing what you look like as God intended. All these yamayama we put on our bodies really has no effect on how pple see us and has everything to do with how we see ourselves. I think every woman particularly black women should once in her lifetime go back to the basics, God doesn’t make mistakes esp in he/she that he made in his own likeness. Its life changing!

Off point, it even pains me that men are under no such pressures; goat hair, cow hair and the like and make we talk true, na for them many of us dey do am for.

Epistle ended ……peeezzzzz out!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 15, 2014 at 5:05 pm

@femme l’Avenir – epistle enjoyed and co-signed. “Peez” unto thee as well.

• jaybani

May 5, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Goat hair is preferable to Indian sacrifices, Goat hair is used as a covering. goat hair is used to produce clothes and other things we put on. so everybody wears goat hair. they are also used for temple coverings. and human beings are living temples. your natural hair is your covering but goat hair can also be used. I would prefer goat hair to human sacrifices. does anyone know where I can get weavons made out of goat hair only?

3. Hurperyeahmie

October 14, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo! Jesu have mercy oh!!!!!!!!

4. Zeal

October 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm

So you know, but because you want to sell ,market, u allow ur fellow Africans to waer goat hair. Do you think those chines people will do the same to their people? Africans, una nor like una selves at all

• MC

October 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Why would they do the same to the won people!?
      It’s black people that are giving them the money for this goat *cough* weave, so it’s black people they will concentrate on

• Que

October 14, 2014 at 5:56 pm

To anwser u, yes if their govt had no care in the world, they would do same to their own people….. the country has a billion plus mouths to feed, there is a market for EVERYTHING immaginable…. they will sell if noone cared and someone will buy…

I dont see d point in blaming the crase seller, she’s simply preying on the desperate, half of whom dont even look better with the hair. If someone is willing to pay for hair thats possibly ‘temple’ hair, na goat hair go hard am?? If u stop goat hair, pple are ready to start forcing fish sef to grow hair just to get away from theirs. Check these pple in a few more months, if sales will be affected by this revelation, I doubt it!

5. Bella

October 14, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Can we get back to roots – rocking our natural fros.

6. bimpe

October 14, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Well the weaves we wear arr still buff and hot though. Goat hair is good hair

7. Lynda

October 14, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Na wa oo,broke babe’s ain’t bothered. But nevertheless I have to share this to my viewers at Thegistpartner.com

8. Miss Anonymous

October 14, 2014 at 2:02 pm

We don’t care!!! 😀

9. Priscy

October 14, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hahahahahahahaha

So this hair on my head may be goat hair???
    Well, this is the 4th time I am rocking it
    and it’s still so so good
    who cares???
    as long as the hair no pass thru temple

10. beverly

October 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hana,goat ke?

11. Ej

October 14, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hmm no wonder some women behave like goats!

12. xtsy

October 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

no be today

13. l=lurlah

October 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm

omg, i cnt stop laughing. bt i dnt mind thou.

14. loew

October 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Please stop being ignorant, hair extensions and pieces are mostly made from plastics and Poly carbonate fibers that go through extensive chemical treatment and processing.Goat hair ko, Horse hair nee.Even when hair is collected from a human or animal to add as fillers the bundle is still 60-80% treated plastic.

• BlueEyed

October 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

What human hair have you been fixing my dear, because some very high grade human hair, are what it is, 100% human hair or as the new info we just read maybe “goat’s hair”

15. chi-e-z

October 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I just knew it. them weaves be looking to unnatural and ratchet. I can’t… I’m not gonna be all TeamNatural. Just TeamOnlyMyHairOnMyHead, TeamNoGoatHair TeamNoTempleHair…. shoo naija babes una too much as much as I like the convenience of wigs..I just feel too basic rocking something elses hair on my head.

16. zee

October 14, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I will only raise alarm when I start perceiving goat urine on babes!

• Que

October 14, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Hahahahahhahahahahhaahhaaa……….

• Doubra

October 15, 2014 at 11:58 am

LMAO!!!!!

17. Mercy

October 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Lmao…..this is one funny revelation tho!!!!Ok so no regrets for doing the big chop 2 weeks ago,then…..lol

18. Reverse

October 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Anybody who ever believed they were buying 100% human hair must be a dreamer. Truth is I’d rather have goat hair than another humans hair

• MC

October 14, 2014 at 4:47 pm

LOL! Thing is, MANY people believed it!
      But the most worrying thing about that was WHY would they want another humans hair on their head.

19. ay

October 14, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Na wah o…can’t stop lafing. Hu knws Weda all the nail fixings na tiger claws sef? Na d guys wey dey pay for all these things I dey sorry for.

• AlphaBetaDeltaTheta

October 14, 2014 at 3:41 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA What a cracker

20. halia

October 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm

And that’s why I’m oh so proud to be curly and natural! Lol! SMH….#yuck!

21. Fade

October 14, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hian!!!, when I just got one? I will so rock it.

• obia

October 14, 2014 at 7:40 pm

LOL

22. Meemee

October 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Quite revealing.

23. AVID BLOG READER

October 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

If only we are satisfied with what God gave us. Sigh!

24. beautygeekng.com

October 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Looool. I’m totally discouraged now

25. benny

October 14, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Im team natural – my choice. Whatever anyone chooses to do with their hair including shaving it all off and inserting devil horns on their foreheads is none of my business. Jeeeeez holier than thou folks.
    I see nothing wrong with well treated goat hair. I didn’t even know goat hair could grow that long.
    The suppliers I know in china do not deny using synthetic hair. It is not a secret. This goat hair talk is strange

26. star

October 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm

My O My

27. j0jo

October 14, 2014 at 5:25 pm

You ladies are quite funny. Good luck on those extensions

28. papermoon

October 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

aaww come on………i am struggling hard to stiffle laugh right now because the lady sitting infront me all of a sudden appears to be carrying a goat on her head (shaking my head vigorously to replace the image with a rose or something)

29. anonymous

October 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm

There’s really no difference,if u wear leather or wool u r already wearing part of an animal

30. obia

October 14, 2014 at 7:40 pm

To each his own, please do you. Chimamanda that got you all on this band wagon is almost always on a scarf and i’m sure it was because she was having a bad hair day on those occassions. She had lashes fixed to infinity (long and straight like a white woman) when i saw her in person so what is this team natural thing sef? People need to get over this hair obsession.

• chi-e-z

October 15, 2014 at 2:30 am

Well Chiamanda didn’t get me on this.Chris Rock’s good hair did way back you should see it. And ain’t nobody pretending Nigerian natural hair is easy shoot ain’t nothing tougher than Nigerian hair but there are conditioners,straighteners I mean how can you not feel weird rocking someone’s hair on your head when you have perfectly good hair no alopecia or cancer. And Chiamanda wears what is called protective styles and a scarf is one.

• MC

October 15, 2014 at 11:20 am

The fact that you consider one wearing their God given hair (the hair you are born with) as “jumping on the band wagon” is rather concerning and indicates how brain washed and out of touch SOME weave wearers are.
      …also “long and straight eyelashes like a white woman”….REALLY???
      I honestly dont know how to address this. White women have never been known to have long and/or straight eyelashes. Lets just leave it as that.
      And finally…. “team natural” has nothing to do with eyelashes, or makeup. it’s simply means natural hair as opposed to chemically altered hair.

• idoublecrossmyheart

October 15, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Wearing scarves is her way of showing her appreciation for her cultural heritage. I do not know what you mean by this comment. Chimamanda can afford a hairstylist so as not to have a bad hair day. Have you noticed that most black literary genius have natural hair -Maya Angelou, Toni Morrison, Zora Neale Huston, Zadie Smith, and I can go on and on.

The bandwagon that is natural hair is a revolutionary movement to awaken people’s blindness and dependency on whiteness. I have to look this way, so I can feel happy and more socially accepted. Thanks to this bandwagon, A LOT OF COMMERCIALS, Hell even TV SHOWS, MOVIES, AND ADVERTISEMENTS in most Western countries now feature black women with natural hair. It is getting there. The sooner we accept that our hair is a reflection of our racial pride, the better.

I am not against relaxers or texturizers, BUT WE ARE ENRICHING CHINESE, INDIANS, while our kind is deprived of even the most basic need. Think about it. We kill, sleep even with a dog to have WHITE HAIR, our monies go into the hands of foreigners who do not even hold us to high esteem.

EVERY ACTION HAS AN EQUAL REACTION. You spend money to look white or to have an easy hair day, but the effects are not only detrimental in the short term, but also in the long run.

• Mbeke toh bad

October 15, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I understood what you were saying till you started talking about sleeping with animals for hair. I have natural hair and I love it wouldn’t go back to relaxed hair but I don’t understand why having relaxed hair supposedly equates to having less pride in your race. My aunt for instance is a proud black woman with relaxed hair who wears wigs ranging from Afros to straight “European” hair. I don’t see how my having natural hair simply because I don’t like relaxers and love my natural hair automatically makes me more proud of my roots than my aunt. I mean come on let’s all get off the soap boxes we climbed on when we went natural.

• Idomagirl

October 16, 2014 at 7:20 am

Which Chimamanda? LOL. Get your facts right honey…

31. Nnenna

October 14, 2014 at 8:38 pm

goat hair – isi ewu

32. aba

October 14, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Oh I see why sometime my weave itch very much….lol

33. Mimi

October 14, 2014 at 8:54 pm

But let’s think about it, which goat has a 16 inch long hair. clothes are made from wool yeah, but the goat hair story has some gaps. This not to say it’s not possible, but it’s not clear.

34. lara

October 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

well if na goat hair, then plenty of things dey, wey we no go fit wear again o. all the sweater, wool u na dey wear…where do you think it came from?Abi the stuff from sheeps, or the snake’s skin leather bags and shoes….Ladies I beg live your lives jare…it’s one life joor.

35. D

October 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I am proudly currently rocking my 100% indian curls. I don’t know if people have not seen goat. How much hair does a goat have, if they said sheep sef I go hear. Nevertheless, I really do not care, do I smell goaty??? Nope, Those having “goat hair” define who I am? Nope, so why make a big deal out of nothing. For the teams naturale that use shampoo and conditioner or detergents or shower. Do you know what goes into making those??? My mum once said if we were to worry who and what everything we used came from infact we will die of fear. Unless you are ready to go back to wear leaves as clothes and jumping around in the jungle like Tarzan please do not insult or judge anyone. I see people here calling people ratchety… because I am different or my choices are different and you think I am the uncouth one or the one acting like a goat.

36. D

October 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

***Does having****

37. Coils & Glory

October 14, 2014 at 9:29 pm

This is nothing new. I mean, think about it. How many brazillian, Indian., Peruvian women actually sells their hair to meet the demand of the millions of “Africans” who buy these hair?
    coilsandglory.com

38. FJD

October 14, 2014 at 11:14 pm

LOBATAN!!!! GOAT HAIR FOR 45K… LOBATANNNN!!! And she would be crying like goat at night….LOBATANN!!! TAAAAAIIII !!!!!!!

39. Just me

October 14, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Very funny
    My thing is these hair are too expensive. I simply braid my hair and call it a day. Lately, you can do so much more with braids. I’m the up and go kind of girl so anything that doesn’t require extra time in front of mirror, works for me.
    Good luck with goat hair….lol

40. Ladyj

October 15, 2014 at 12:24 am

O common,all you sticking your noses up and claiming natural I hope you don’t fix your nails,use make up,deodorant etc. as long as u alter anything given to you by God be it pushp/padded bra,body magic,lightening cream etc you ain’t natural,if you are so super proud of what GOd gave you then be natural all the way. As far as I’m concerned goat hair(which is the most rediculous yet) or snake skin shoes or bag are all same,so before you point a finger,check your nails or your bra,if ure padding it or pushing it up to look….then you are same.

• idoublecrossmyheart

October 15, 2014 at 9:31 am

I think you have missed the point COMPLETELY about team natural. Going “natural” does not necessarily connote being natural, BUT ACCEPTING YOUR HAIR AS GOD AS GIVEN YOU. Wearing another human’s hair is not the same as wearing another human’s nails, or makeup, or skin, or whatever. Nothing wrong with weaves or relaxing hair, but it begs the questions, how Africans are not likely to be taken seriously in world affairs if they are not accepting of themselves. I would prefer a woman who wears her own hair even if it is relaxed or flat-ironed a la Michelle Obama.

I went natural when I started to think about a meeting I attended with Indians. A black woman with Indian hair attended the meeting and people were more focused on the origins of her hair than what she had to say (she was giving an important speech). They were debating if it is their mother’s, grandmother’s, etc. And they all began to laugh. We will always be the butt of jokes if we fail to accept ourselves. There is nothing more powerful than walking into a room with your skin and hair intact.

You may look hot with weaves and bleached skin, but TRUST you will never be taken seriously. Yes, men will chase you, but what does it mean to gain the world and lose your soul?

This story shows how these foreigners do not RESPECT AFRICANS because we do not RESPECT OURSELVES. This Chinese woman will never do the same to Europeans or to South Americans or to her own kind. But black men? Will sell their own child for the sake of profit. No wonder the Europeans had more slaves during the slave trade because they did not have to kidnap, they just had to ask Africans to get their brother, sister, cousin, niece for some change.

• MC

October 15, 2014 at 11:50 am

@ Idoublecrossmyheart THANKS! I really didn’t know how I was going to explain to her what team natural means. It seems that it is those that do not wear their own hair that have given “team natural’ a whole new meaning (maybe to make themselves feel better…who knows!)
      How one can say wearing leather shoes is the same as wearing hair that emulates another race is beyond me LOL!!

I have said already. it’s not the wearing of the weave that is the issue, its the DEPENDENCY.
      Feeling as though your hair isnt as good as long silky straight hair is the problem.

I dont see white women wearing afro weaves.
      What I do see is black women doing all sorts in order to acquire weaves.
      I see black women ignoring their hair and making it suffer in order to wear these weaves.

It’s only in the black race that a balding young lady is accepted. If any of my Caucasian friends realised they were balding, they will more than likely lock themselves in their bedrooms and cry into their pillows……
      …but what does a blading young black lady do? (10 points for the right answer)

• Changing Faces

October 16, 2014 at 7:50 am

This your argument holds no water! What of all the african american women who have weaves and are doing big things? African women like to put African women under pressure for not conforming to what they feel African women should look like! Why are caucasians not bashed for tanning, wearing weaves and braids! If you wear fake nails, make up, padded bra or yansh, do protective styles with weaves etc, its the same thing! This your long story makes no difference! Being natural means being you 100%. Having natural hair doesn’t make you natural

• MC

October 16, 2014 at 11:31 am

@chagning faces
      What on earth are you on about.!?!? Having natural hair means you are natural. Having relaxed hair means you are relaxed. This is about hair not about lifestyle.
      Natural hair doesn’t mean one now has to become a vegan.

41. Nnennie

October 15, 2014 at 8:56 am

It is actually horse hair. The Chinese uses it. I am proud of my hair et I love it. It is time we look back and up to our Mother’s day. What happened to “Jerry curls? I remember my momma used to rock it et she was absolument stunning.

42. chinyere

October 15, 2014 at 8:59 am

My dear it’s better I’ve got goat hair than real human hair sacrificed to some god. The Bible says a woman’s hair is a glory unto her and a covering, so those who are sacrificing their hair to gods will have to answer to God

• MC

October 15, 2014 at 11:57 am

But not everybody is a Christian/lives life by the bible (most especially those that sacrifice their hair in a temple).

43. barbiie bitch

October 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

it is sha beta dan temple hair

44. Hair for the gods

October 15, 2014 at 10:02 am

#Why cant these people just be themselves?
    #why living a fake life?
    #why aren’t you satisfied with yourself?
    #why is your self worth questionable?

#Aint you confident in yourself?
    #Are you defined by your hair?
    #Do women know that 90-95% of men are not bothered by your hair do. They may notice and appreciate once but it dies there.

#Why using a “hair for the gods” and start having nightmares?
    #why carry the curse, problems of the individual who had the hair?
    #Do you know many are suffering from what they dont know as a result of what was passed down to them via the “hair for the gods”

#Potential husbands see your “hair for the gods” and run away bcos smth is there repelling them
    #Benefactors running away when they see you cos of your “hair for the gods”
    #You are wondering why witches and wizards are chasing you in your dreams, you still dont get?

#i been wonder why babies cry at night
    # your “hair for the gods” scare them at night
    #Please dont let your “hair for the gods” touch me
    # before you come to the bed, make sure you remove your “hair for the gods”
    # i dont want to have nightmares please

#yes i mean it

45. dotty

October 15, 2014 at 10:40 am

ok! for una mind, na american hair una wear abi? where the human being wey dey chop off their hair for una dey? something is made from something so why the worry? abi una no dey chop goat meat? taaaaaa……make una come pull am from my hair…tomorrow now dem go say na cat eye dem use they do contact! mtchewwwwwww

46. annemarie

October 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I never trusted those hair or even wigs in the first place. I blame Beyonce!!

47. www.africanstorytellers.blogspot.com

October 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm

“Hair for the gods!” got me cracking. And seriously, these dames don’t know why ill luck follows them everywhere they go like MTN.

I guess we in the age of synthetic and cosmetic women.

africanstorytellers.blogspot.com

48. jake ro

October 15, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Well, I have alwzys known that these hairss are not real human hair cos it alwzys look so lifeless.real human hair feels and looks lively

49. Alesha

October 15, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Expressions anyday, anytime!!

50. NUR

October 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I am sure we are all aware that as long as it is made in China, it is very likely to be Chinese or goat (lol). Who cares?!!!
    Do what makes you comfortable jare. I live in England with very harsh weather and water. I am team everything (well except relaxed for the past year). I decided to stop relaxing my hair because I just never knew what my hair was like natural. I was curious. Now, I sometimes wear my natural hair, virgin hair weave and at the moment sporting a synthetic wig. I am not about to let the bi-polar weather destroy my amazing 4c fro in the winter months. Mba!

51. zara

March 9, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Hilarious comments LOL

52. Lindz

November 23, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Funny how sisters would rather wear goat hair instead of sporting their natural hair. There is so many products out there for African hair much cheaper that the goat hair you are wearing or even worse a dead person’s hair!We hate ourselves so much that we even use dangerous illegal skin bleachers to lighten our skins so that we look less African. Its truly sad, and the people that we are mimicking only make fun of us. Lets embrace our beauty sisters.

53. Paul Archibald

December 4, 2015 at 11:11 pm

LOL HAHAHA KKKKKKKKK HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAHAHAHAHAHAHAHARSRSRSRSRSRSRSRSKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLZ WOW IM ON THE FLOOR MY STOMACH IT HURTS HAHAHAHA FIRST HORSES NOW GOATS THEY ROCKING FARM HAIR NOW HAHAHAHAHALOLZ ??????????yo i can’t just can’t and wow lol oh wow haha oh so is this beastiality to sleep with them lololololol hahahahaha JK but thats crazy doe wow lol

54. toni

December 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I guess this is the effects of Colonialism and slavery on the black race. Some people would term this as the effects of the “Europeanization of Africans”.

55. boho

March 2, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I’m appalled at the level of ignorance some people display. The so called team naturals, get over yourselves. Don’t go bashing everyone who is not sporting a 4c twa. Most of u went natural cos u saw someone do it. Where’s your originality. We all wear stuff from animals. We bloody drink cows milk. It’s not like we don’t produce our own milk. If a girl want goat/horse mane, it’s her choice. This holier-than-thou attitude is what is killing us in Nigeria. If you wanted to be truly African, and go back to your roots, then forego all forms of technology and go back to local fabrics for clothes. I don’t mean Ankara BTW, cos that’s Dutch wax. Not authentic African, African women just took to it and it became a norm.

Now that being said I do agree that women should be more confident in their own skin and wear their own hair more. And I still see a lot of so called team naturals who bleach their skin and claim they’re bringing out their natural color. Natural color nibo? So let’s not throw stones. Personally, I rarely ever were weaves, even when my hair was relaxed and is not cos I’m trying to make a statement, it’s just simply cos, I found them uncomfortable. I didn’t go natural cos I was trying to go back to my roots, it was simply because relaxers burn me real bad and I didn’t want to go bald before my time. We all have reasons for doing the things we do that others may not agree with.

IMO bleaching the skin is worse than wearing synthetic/human/horsehair weaves, cos at least that is temporary while the bleaching damage is often irreparable.

My little advice, LOVE YOURSELF JUST THE WAY YOU ARE AND IF YOU MUST ALTER ANYTHING, LET IT BE FOR YOU, NOT TO PLEASE ANYONE ELSE…. this goes for both the team naturals, team weaves, team relaxers, team bleachers…. Personally I don’t belong to any team. If I was paid good money to relax or cut my hair, I will. After all, it’s just hair.