News

Shhhh! Today is Horn Free Day in Lagos

Lagos Horn Free Day
Today is Horn Free Day in Lagos state!

A Day Without Horn In Lagos – 15th October 2014
Objectives

*To reduce noise pollution on our roads.
*To cultivate respect for other road users.
*To maintain and encourage road discipline.
*To improve road use courtesy.
*To avoid the indiscriminate use of horn.
*To be a defensive driver.
*To develop better road-user friendly (BRF) Lagosians.

What To Do
*Avoid the use of horn.
*Avoid the use of siren.
*Be patient, tolerant,courteous and road-user friendly (BRF).
*Obey Traffic rules and regulations.

So what do you think?

1. Jules

October 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

Not in Lag, Na horn even wake me up sef.. Abeg make Fashola park well… They shouldnt include dat in their next Lagos policy cos a lot of pple might die, for example, do u knw many Lagosian are body present but absent minded? they work on d street bur their minds are not there, they even cross the express thinking of so many thing and its only the HORN that remind them of where they are… So for now make the country positive bfor we abide to this type of law.. #okbye

2. Fashionista

October 15, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hahahaha! for where?! Tell that to the danfo drivers, who if you simply do not close up that tiny gap between you and the vehicle in front of you (which by the way is the safe thing to leave that gap oh), they would let you know of their disdain by blaring their horn at you. Talkless of if you actually try to get in front of them, or in front of any driver actually.

3. FunkyW

October 15, 2014 at 9:18 am

I think its an interesting idea, although I can still hear horns all over. Hopefully, there will be no sirens today.

4. Berry Dakara

October 15, 2014 at 9:25 am

It should be DON’T-DRIVE-LIKE-A-BLIND-IDIOTIC-MANIAC-OR-BE-A-SUICIDAL-PEDESTRIAN-SO-THAT-OTHERS-DON’T-HAVE-TO-HORN-AT-YOU DAY!

5. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

October 15, 2014 at 9:30 am

I tried it oh on my way to work! It seemed okay until i got to inner marina and one dude who can obviously see me coming still wants to enter the road! Its a worthy initiative and i will try it again as i am heading home.

6. miss pynk

October 15, 2014 at 9:37 am

In a city where you dont know which is more important- your horn vs your brakes? Abeg they should park very well. Go and do proper driver sensitization first before importing western practices.

7. bunny

October 15, 2014 at 9:45 am

i was going to abide by the request till 1 annoying driver was doing rubbish in my front and i was already late for work…this is Lagos< Nigeria o

8. largerthanlife.com.ng

October 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

God knows i tried today …buh too many goats on the road lol

9. Miss_Flygerian

October 15, 2014 at 10:00 am

Unless they’ll pay for the damages on my car after one useless, high-on-alomo, danfo driver must have smashed it. Until then, I’m blasting my horn. – road discipline. It’s a jungle on these Lagos roads.

10. Moving on Swiftly

October 15, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hahhahahha. Hilarious! Please tell that to those stupid “yellow yellow” that will nearly bash you if you don’t horn at them all in the name of chancing you. Also those keke’s that wriggle in front of you like worms in the fast lanes or on a bridge. They can’t move yet they want to be in the fast lane. Or those Okada’s that have signed their death warrants and try Jackie Chan moves in front of your car or by your car. Abeg let the horning continue. I always say that in Nigeria, you don’t need to know how to drive or learn how to. People just simply acquire a car, get in it and MOVE! smh.

11. Gbemmy

October 15, 2014 at 10:20 am

Good Idea but i don’t think it can work yet in Nigeria and i think some drivers should be taken for psychiatric disorder test .. they should be arrested for over-horning .. they press the horn like they didn’t have toys to play with when they were young and when you look back you see that their was nobody/nothing obstructing them … a times it seems some drivers just press the horn out of boredom

• MC

October 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

When I visited Nigeria, I concluded that was the case. In the two weeks i was there was not one blast of a car horn that was warranted. Drivers just bashing on it because they can.
      I never knew the true meaning of Noise pollution until I visited Lagos.

Are driving lessons and/or tests (licences) not a requirement in Nigeria?

12. Bola Odu

October 15, 2014 at 10:46 am

With time drivers will get use to it

13. Itse

October 15, 2014 at 11:00 am

A beautiful idea, would teach responsible driving on our roads. On my way to work, the honking was more from private cars and plain taxi cars. The Danfo and BRT buses showed regard for the idea… was quite impressed. If this is introduced more, a day would come when honking would be a really weird thing on our roads…

14. Babygirl

October 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

I am not someone that usually horn while driving as i detest the noise. However, today as horn free day, I was compliant all through my driving to work this morning. I will try and replicate it in the evening too.

15. lala

October 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I actually nearly had a horn free drive to work this morning. everyone seemed to have gotten the memo until a policeman and his colleagues in their official police car blasted his horn..smh.. guess there was no leading by example..

16. StoryForthegods

October 15, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Horn-free-day is tantamount to unsafe act in Lagos road, hence hazardous. I think the following should proceed the no-horn day; BRF should first of all caution the BRT buses with their numerous shenanigans, then have the Lastma guys strict with them danfo drivers “cos lastma seems to allow this yellow buses constitute nuisance on the road and pack recklessly thereby leading to so much honking from other drivers cum road users, meanwhile they always want to get it hot with private vehicles”.
    Talking of noise pollution on our roads i would want to assume that this road also includes residential streets/roads; then i suggest we carry some no noise crusade to some of all these early morning evangelism folks, mosques, prayer houses, road side musical cd sellers, that think its ok to use the loudest of them speakers.

17. Zeal

October 15, 2014 at 1:27 pm

A day without horn in lagos statee???!!! Ijoba Fasholaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ki lo de. Think well na Oga

18. tyra

October 15, 2014 at 1:32 pm

egwuregwu…….

19. Papas

October 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Lol to all the comments. I go press my horn dieeee. It’s music to my ears.

20. NaijaPikin

October 15, 2014 at 3:09 pm

If it can work in NYC, it can work in most places in lagos jare. Patience is what people need to practice

21. Ibo girl

October 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I drove through mainland to island today for a meeting n back n front tge office n I didn’t use d horn but that took me a lot n a lot of patient futon private car owners to okada to Danfo to even brt … To even commenters … Happy I did it sha cos I never liked that over horn thing sef …

22. marshal

October 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

I woke up dis morning bcos of horn, and I tink its a good idea it just dt it will be very difficult fo one to abide, buh wit time we will get use to it #lagos #fashola #hornfreeday