News

What Would you do if Your $60,000 Hermès Bag Smelled like a Skunk?

BellaNaija.com

Mercy Aigbe - May 2013 - BellaNaija 05

Ladies, what would you do if you just doled out $10,000 to $60,000 on a Hermès bag and discovered it had the most horrible smell that just wouldn’t go away?

This is the dilemma that over 2,000 purchasers of the bags have been facing over the past year, as many have complained that the bags smell like skunk CNN Money reports.

Hermès sales associates say the bags were probably made from a bad batch of leather, and something must have gone wrong during  the tanning process.

Unhappy consumers have been expressing their displeasure on the matter via a purseblog.com forum.

Genevieve Nnaji - September 2013 - BellaNaijaA commenter on the forum named “Israeli_Flava” revealed that she is not wealthy, and had worked very hard to buy the bag.

“Really, this has been taxing on my spirit…I’m really trying not to let this experience steal my joy but it’s hard,” she said.

Another commenter said that when carrying the smelly bags “they might mistake you for having crossed paths with either an angry…skunk or that your side job is that of a [pot] dealer.”

Most of the purse owners have had to send the bags back to Paris for replacements. However, this means they would need to wait several months for the replacement, as shoppers are typically place on a wait list just to purchase the bags.

*Photos used for illustrative purposes only*

***

So Bellanaijarians, what would you do if you were stuck with a smelly, pricey Hermès bag?

1. omoibo

October 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

LMAO! That’s the smell of money #Skunk #Hermes

2. A.K

October 16, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I no go gree oh… refund must happen!!!

3. Anon

October 16, 2014 at 3:37 pm

The most interesting part of the article was – Photos used for illustrative purposes only

LMFAO!

• Rs

October 16, 2014 at 3:45 pm

girllllll…. sips tea

• I no send

October 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm

@ anon..a certain illustration is the most amusing…like r u kidding me…thnks BN forr at least pointing out dat it’s only for illustrative purpose…

• Concerned_Boyfriend

October 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm

As in!!…LMFAO

4. xtsy

October 16, 2014 at 3:38 pm

First world problems

5. tessy

October 16, 2014 at 3:45 pm

hahahahaha BN u gonna kill a person with “Photos used for illustrative purposes only” hahahahah.

6. Bliss

October 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm

What on earth will really make a person drop $60k on a purse? Say wettin happen? Return the purse for a refund and invest that money.

• Just me

October 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

They have nothing else to do with the money or the money is surplus for such ridiculous spending.
      Once the bag pass $200 it’s officially too expensive let alone $60000

7. nikky

October 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Rich people problem

8. ma'am Fabulassy

October 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Can’t even purchase such, and If it happens there’s gonna be a refund #sips vodka #

9. Olivia Ruth

October 16, 2014 at 4:11 pm

First world problems….

10. deb

October 16, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Really, it shows the manufacturers are not responsible, why make such expensive bag from a bad leather in the first place? Wasn’t the leather smelling when the bag was being made. Shior

11. AVID BLOG READER

October 16, 2014 at 4:28 pm

If this is the only problem they have in life then they are blessed. *long hiss*

12. silly me

October 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I will so buy the bag soon hopefully , why?

1. I work hard for my every dime and splurging once in a while should not be a sin

2. I know what it is to spend that kind of money on other peoples problem and still make me a bad person when they don’t get their way another day

3. Life is too short,if i die tomorrow , my family may not even know i had that money in my account and even if they did ,they will not mince it like i did.

It has a good second hand value ,hence it can be an inheritance ,collateral etc

….on a bright side ,its so difficult to get that bag the birkin especially (some people will roll their eyes lol ), i recently expressed interest to get it and i was told to come in stores so i can only be grateful i saw this , so i am so smelling it when i get mine.

I understand how those of you who think this is wasteful spending feel ,but seriously if you don’t have it to spend ,you don’t have it to spend . And if God so blesses you to do it ,by all means please do.

No one would appreciate it if you gave them the money anyways ,being there done that .

• Que

October 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Pls when u manage to use it as collateral, kindly point me in the direction of the lending institution… thanks…

• busybee

October 16, 2014 at 8:52 pm

forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2013/08/18/the-latest-loan-collateral-hermes-chanel-gucci-dior-and-vuitton-handbags/

Congrats! You learned something today 🙂

• Eze

October 16, 2014 at 6:54 pm

This is the line of thought of a shallow minded person.If you feel the need to buy the bag as it is your money fine,but it actually adds no value to your life compared to all the thing you are citing .It is not something you look at during those sad moments that would give you comfort..The way you speak makes me think you are one of those people that give money for the applause . People who give money give because they want to help and it comes with a feeling of self fulfilment that your bags can never give you. Really silly you.

• Eze

October 16, 2014 at 6:57 pm

*things

• Babe

October 16, 2014 at 7:56 pm

…,hence it can be an inheritance ,collateral etc
      Oh no, she didn’t just say that…this is why the world cannot be a better place.
      Do you need a bag to remind you of your worth? Girl, you’ve lost your priority o

Besides, do you know how people you’d bring smile to their face by supporting or donating half of that money. Have you even try investing that money…smh

If I check your account, I’m guessing you’ll probably have like $100, 000 in your saving (oh please, what am I say…it might even be less than that). Oh well, I can’t tell anyone how to spend their money but it will be nice to let people like you hear the truth about spending…#hissing

That’s just my 2 cents to you… 🙂

• ak

October 16, 2014 at 8:39 pm

@sillyme…. Kudos to you, May God continue to bless you richly so you can spend as you please. Just don’t spend it all on yourself, but also on others…. But i’m sure you already do.

As far as i’m concerned, as long as you worked HARD for YOUR money, you can spend anyhow you want.

All these people talking jargons here are the ones supporting Oyedepo and co who use the Church’s money to buy personal jet to be flying about. They also support them when they buy mercedes and have houses littered all over the world. But let me not go there…

Please none of you should quote any scripture at me… lol. No be una we dey talk say, “I wish you prosper in ALL things as your soul prospereth.”. Carry on, my dear

• curiousity

October 17, 2014 at 3:13 am

so if you buy the bag and God forbid u die the day after, will you carry it to heaven? if no, will your family know the worth of the bag? will they use it well like you would?

13. Que

October 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

If the bag will give u eternal joy, n u can comfortably afford it, then enjoy….skunk and all… bags dont weigh much on my prefence list, so if I got round to getting one after waiting, they should just hold my refund ready, cos no way I’m waiting again! There are way to many beautiful things to do with money than sit on a crazy list twice!

14. Mystique

October 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

@Silly me…..here’s the breakdown sweetie: $60,000×160= 9.6m. Please where do you work so i can apply??? going to dust my c.v right now.

15. Eze

October 16, 2014 at 6:29 pm

When your bag is made of pomo what do you expect?Expensive pomo for that matter lol……

16. Gbemi

October 16, 2014 at 7:27 pm

In other news Those of us with imitation don’t need to return it because it’s not smelling like skunk

17. Fifi

October 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Ahhh they should ship the skunk smelling ones to nija im sure our desperado women ud b willing to buy…after my friend’s house got burnt with all her bags,shoes,clothes thank God her jewelleries,passports n important docs were kept in a metal safe,i vowed not to invest in any bag or shoe more than a certain amount…

18. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

October 16, 2014 at 9:43 pm

LOL……………BUT THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. BREAK A BOTTLE OF PERFUME INTO THE BAG, PUT IT IN AN EXTRA LARGE ZIP-LOCK BAG THEN KEEP THE BAG ON LOCK DOWN FOR ONE WEEK. PRESTO! SKUNK SMELL BE GONE! SEE O!

19. ada

October 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Does the okrika one smell?.pple get time o..Their problem jare..

• dr chi

October 17, 2014 at 4:43 am

As in my sister ooo. Not to sound cheap or anything but my first thought was ‘what would I bee doing with a 60,000 dollar bag at my age?’ ‘Where would I carry it to?’ ‘Who will even know the cost apart from me and the fashion amebo people?’ And I’ll probably spoil it sef right now cos I need a bag that can take my lappy, i-pad and all my other stuff at the same time and me I can like to rock one (black) bag for weeks on end without mercy…… *sigh* this “scale of preference life” tho.
      But to answer the question, I’d probably wash it and empty a Vail of Hausa perfume inside It.. That should do the trick

20. Zizieko

October 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Why is this news?

21. BellaNoire (www.bellanoireshop..com)

October 17, 2014 at 9:12 am

@zizieko …Because, it cost SOME people half or all of their life savings
    Splurging $60,000 on a BAG?
    Issokay…whatever floats our boats. If a bag makes you feel self fulfilled, er…buy it and put it as prayer point in your early morning devotion so as to spiritually insure it.

22. jummai

October 17, 2014 at 9:17 am

Please is mercy also carrying a hermes bag worth that ridiculous amount of money?

23. beauty

October 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

i would kill the damn bag with strong designer perfume! Wait, or am i supposed to keep the bag at the bottom of my wardrobe or throw it away!!!#@*%

24. peace

October 17, 2014 at 10:25 am

simply will return or sell it a royal shop for 40$,000

25. Femme de l'Avenir

October 17, 2014 at 4:25 pm

To me, the Hermes Birkin bag’s ugly as shiii.