Music

Lawsuit Drama! Beyoncé Sued for Allegedly Copying ‘XO’ Song

Blue Ivy Carter & Beyonce - July 2014 - BellaNaija.com 06Beyoncé has been having a splendid year up till now – because according to TMZ, someone is suing the queen Bee for stealing a song from her.

According to the up and coming singer Javon Lane, Beyoncé stole his song ‘XO’ and put it on her fifth studio album.

Javon Lane claims he wrote a number named ‘XOXO’ and shared it with another singer who does background vocals for Beyoncé, the track supposedly ended up in her hands and a copycat track emerged. Beyoncé is now being sued for $3 million.

Beyoncé who was named the highest earning female entertainer of the year 2014 earlier today (click here if you missed it) definitely has more than enough money to spare but we doubt the 33-year-old singer will let her image be tarnished by an up and coming singer.

So far Beyoncé’s camp has been silent about the allegations.

We also have to wonder what The Dream, singer and producer, will have to say about all this as he is the one who has the credits for writing Beyonce’s XO song.

Listen to both versions of the song below!

Javon’s version was posted in June, 2013

Beyoncé’s version was posted in December, 2013

What are your thoughts about this allegation?

1. Wasters

November 5, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Please abeg how is this the same song?

2. BlueEyed

November 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Lol this is funny. Dude should work hard and perfect his craft if he truly wants to get ahead,nobody goes this route and has ever won. + he’s claiming rights on melody? This must be some joke, which I believe it is as he’s filed since August and Beyoncé’s team can’t even be bothered. You can’t come for song writing gods like Terius Nash and Ryan Tedder on copyright claims. Gurl bye!
    P.s Beyoncé is serving life in that photo.

3. Atl finest

November 5, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Wahala! This isn’t the first time she’s been sued for stealing a song. I don’t know if its true, but let’s be frank, is there any musicians that haven’t stolen a song or re sang it? Whitney’s song – I will always love U original owner is Dolly Parton, Britney Spears – poragative, was by Bobby brown ( original owner).. So it goes on! Abeg free Queen bee jare.

• Leah

November 6, 2014 at 12:05 am

Whitney did NOT steal Dolly’s song, she did a remake of the song with Dolly’s permission and Dolly got credited for writing the song and is still getting her royalties. I don’t know how legitimate this particular case is, but Beyoncé steals people’ work without permission, giving credit and then claims to be the owner and that is the difference. She has been sued many times and have had to pay eg. BC Jean’s song which Beyoncé claimed she wrote. Copying an entire video including wardrobe and choreography for her Countdown video, and many more cases. This is not new for her, she has a lot of money and it will be sorted, I’m sure.

• CocoI

November 6, 2014 at 12:25 am

Lol! This one thinks that Whitney Houston stole ‘I will always love you’. My dear Whitney never stole the song, Dolly Parton wrote the song and made a lot of money from it. Beyonce is well know for stealing and I knew when the woman claimed she wrote ‘Silent night’ and that she co-wrote ‘At last’, two songs that were written before her parents where even born. Please I am not “hating” o just stating facts before one of you……

• T

November 6, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I believe you mean co-produced…. Which she did. Not the originals obviously, she co-produced her versions of them. You should check the “facts” you’re stating… No shade, just “stating facts”

• nur

November 6, 2014 at 7:54 am

There’s a difference between stolen and a remake.

4. Olori Tari

November 5, 2014 at 9:45 pm

But I CAN’T hear any correlation. But what do I know ? Nada! …my ears might even be doing one kain.

5. Truth

November 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm

these songs have nothing in common but the xo, nothing, but I do feel that part of the beat in the end and middle of the song resonates with part of Jeremiah gyang’s na baka song, so if anyone should be suing its Gyang. The part that goes ooooh-ooooh…

6. AsHAnI

November 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hmnn…dude you ain’t getting Nada!! I was trying so hard to to link both but bruv…u fall my hand\! Hope you have 3million to balance her sha

7. ada

November 5, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Is this a joke? There’s no similarity na… hian!

8. S!

November 5, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I’m actually angry that I used my data to listen to that song. Congrats to the guy, you’ve succeeded in promoting your song, plus additional 15mins of fame.
    If I’m Beyonce, I swear that guy must pay me $3mil for defamation + settle my attorney fees.
    People self no dey fear face at all.

9. NaijaPikin

November 5, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Also a lawsuit has been filed against Against Jay Z, Kanye West & Frank Ocean for “Made in America”….pple tryna make a buck by all means necessary

10. lala

November 5, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Why am I not surprise.Bey is legengery as a xerox machine, anyway.

• Abi

November 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm

But listen to his song and hers, in which way do they sound the same?
      You may think she’s a Xerox machine, but I think its safe to say she’s been vindicated with this one without even saying a word.
      Its obvious the guy is just trying to get his name out there, which ever way possible.

11. Marc Francis of Chelsea

November 6, 2014 at 1:48 am

LMAO! The hustle is cute. COMPLETELY different songs. His song is trash. Next!

12. Hengil

November 6, 2014 at 8:45 am

Is that the course we want to study

13. jojo

November 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Not the same song.

14. portia

November 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Its better if she took d song coz d beat and everything is matured.God knows if u had been d one dat sang d song it wouldn’t hav been so kul.pls dont spoil Queen bey image.

15. real person

November 8, 2014 at 10:56 pm

beyonce is so fake and is a copycat nothing about her is orgnally I don’t know why these people call her the queen she not even sacure in her body always photo shopping her selfies don’t like this new beyonce