Music

Aww…4 Years, 3 Kids & the Hit “Iyawo Mi” Song! Timi & Busola Dakolo Share their Love Story

BellaNaija.com

Timi Dakolo - February 2014 - BellaNajia - 02
What else can we say, love is sweet.

R&B singer Timi Dakolo and his wife Busola are one happy couple with their 3 adorable children.

Recently, Timi made a bold decision to feature his wife as the lead in his song “Iyawo Mi” and the result was simply lovely.

The couple granted an interview with Punch on how they met, how they settle differences and the finance of the family.

Read excerpts;
On how they met:
Timi: We met at the House on the Rock church. I was not searching then, but simply minding my own business when I spotted her. I was standing behind the choristers on the podium when I sighted this fine girl. I went to speak to her by asking her why she was frowning in church. I remember saying, ‘Hi, my name is Timi Dakolo,’ and she said, ‘and so?’ You would not believe that she gave me a fake number and I started searching for her every Sunday until I finally caught up with her and challenged her for giving me a wrong number. It was my lucky day because that was how we started talking. This was in 2010.

Busola: I gave him my genuine phone number but he thought it was a wrong one. Unfortunately, my phone got missing that day. After service, he followed us in a car to know where I was staying and later on, he kept coming to the house.

On why Timi is an exception:
Busola: “While he kept asking me out, I realised he was different from other artistes. He turned out to be a wonderful person.”

On the proposal
Timi “I went to visit her and then put the ring in an empty plate of food. I was a little scared that she might say no but at the same time, I was convinced it was time to do it.”

Busola: “It happened early in the morning. He said he wanted to make me breakfast in bed then he came with the plate covered and stayed a few minutes. I wasn’t expecting anything more than noodles but he opened the plate and brought out a ring.”

On some of the best memories of the union: Timi: “The arrival of our children. I have always been in the labour room. I was the first person who carried my third child when she was born. Other memorable moments include our travels, our ‘alone time’ at home with and without the children. It has been a beautiful journey thus far and I have learnt much being a father and husband. I also feel the collective responsibility of not having to think for only you alone any longer, is a high point of my marriage. You can’t just wake up and go out on your own. When I stay outside for a long time, my wife would call me up and sarcastically say, ‘greet those people wey dey there with you for me o. Its past 11pm greet them goodnight.’ It has been a jolly ride with ups and downs.”

On their best qualities:
Busola: “Humility and the fear of God. We pray and worship God together. Immediately he gets the inspiration for a song, he comes to me. That triggers something in me and makes me feel like he really appreciates my opinion. He is a simple person.”

Timi: “It is always the physical attraction. I don’t think men fall in love because a lady can pray. She is very God-fearing and can pray. When we first met she was always asking us to pray and it got tiring at some point.”

On what they will love to change about each other:
Busola: “He stays on the phone for too long. I want him to spend more time with me instead of being on the phone.”

Timi: “She should be fast when we are going out and apply her make-up hurriedly.”

On if they run a joint account:
Busola: “No, we trust each other and don’t need to show each other our bank statements.”

Timi: “We don’t have joint account but monthly budgets. We have different accounts for different things and support each other financially.”

On what marriage means to him:
Timi: It’s simply two different persons coming together to spend the rest of their lives forever. It sounds big and risky but it comes with favour, grace, maturity and a certain level of respect depending on how you manage it. After I am paid for a show, I share the money into several places, and just a fraction gets to me because a lot of people are involved in the matter.

1. Anne

December 21, 2014 at 4:04 am

This cracked me up big time. Beautiful wifey

• Ola

December 23, 2014 at 4:35 am

Lol, it cracked me up too. So I take it you are a lesbian.

2. adeola

December 21, 2014 at 6:30 am

awww

3. Morluchi

December 21, 2014 at 6:58 am

That’s what you get fro marrying someone you love

4. kili

December 21, 2014 at 7:01 am

LoooL. Omo yoruba toh special ….. And so?? Which means “igbyen wa nko”

5. Ay

December 21, 2014 at 7:35 am

Always been a big fan of Timi, love you even more

6. Atl's finest

December 21, 2014 at 7:47 am

Awwww! She’s lucky & I love this couple to death… Yes, Iyawo mj is one of my special day song.. God bless them & lol @ ” Hi my name is Timi Dakolo ” & So?? Her responds sounds just like mine :)))))).

7. BarnyG

December 21, 2014 at 8:07 am

Ha..Iyawo mi, ololufe mi…. I love this couple

8. holayinka

December 21, 2014 at 8:37 am

Luvly couple, learning from u guys. Keep it up.

9. deb

December 21, 2014 at 8:40 am

[email protected] makeup on time. Men shud chill jor, if you always want to step out with a beautiful wife, be ready to be late, beauty also costs time.

10. i no send

December 21, 2014 at 9:21 am

if he spends any more time with you hun..you will be having 19 kids and counting……*runsaway* hehe

11. prettydordor

December 21, 2014 at 10:58 am

Tot they had a child b4 they married? Dis story doesnt look accurate

• A-nony

December 21, 2014 at 1:18 pm

They have come o!! Won ti de. Ekaabo. Comments will not be complete without comments like yours. Please take a long hike!

• koins

December 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Yes they had a child before they got married, that does not mean he had not proposed to her before she got pregnant!

• peo

December 21, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Awon oloriburuku somebody una doh o

• Ola

December 23, 2014 at 4:37 am

Na wa o. All these Christian cheedren, choir songstresses, masters, ushers and their libidos. Jeez. Please encourage us waiting on the Lord and dating na.

12. 360°

December 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I pray their union lasts a life time.

13. Stella

December 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love this two

14. winnie

December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Beautiful love story! “My name is Timi Dakolo.. & so? I can imagine her rolling her eyes. LMAO

15. deedee

December 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

@prettydordor, wetin concern u.? Must u bring negative opinion here? D story is nt accurate,were u with him when they met in church? Smh. Settle ur own business b4 u run d business of odas

16. tish

December 21, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I love their love

17. Missy J

December 21, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I love this couple so much. Timi love for his Wife and Kids is becoming a fault but BN you guys didn’t try, no pics of his kids or a family photo. Let your report be detailed biko.

18. Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

December 21, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Awww, they look cute together and her response to the things he says, ie “my name is Timi Dakolo” is just so funny.
    +rolling eyes to boot i’m sure.lol

imperfectlyperfectlives.com

19. MOSIWOMEKA

December 21, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I WISH THEM MANY MORE HAPPY YEARS TOGETHER. …. GOD SHOULD BE THE ONLY FOUNDATION IN MARRIAGE. GOD BLESS THEM………

20. Mostest

December 21, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Family planning please. 3 kids in 4 years?

• Anonymous

December 21, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Just STFU. Nigerians make me SICK. If she hadn’t gotten pregnant within those four years, you bitter women (I refuse to believe a man would be this petty) would have had something negative to say.
      Now she’s had three kids, you’re still spewing negativity. Useless human beings.

Is it your family? Why are you concerned about her uterus. Such a statement.
      Plan your life before worrying about others.

• peo

December 21, 2014 at 6:13 pm

How e take concern you,abeg to each his own e sho igba yin

• bae

December 21, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Did they tell you they are complainin? Giving unsolicited advice

• baboushka

December 21, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I agree for the sake of your womb kids should be spaced at least two years apart. Accidents do happen though especially since some women consider breastfeeding as a natural family planning method so don’t get on other forms of proven and tested family planning methods. I don’t think they intentionally set out to have 3 kids in four years.

• Person

December 21, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Have they asked you money for Pampers or school fees? No?! Which one is now your own? Shonboloyoke, ma fi lomi n dasi, iyaale ookan, solo makinde.

• adelegirl

December 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Buahahahahaaa! Your comment cracked me up big time and that “solo makinde” comment just keeed me dead as I imagined you saying it in Obesere or is it Kwam 1’s voice or the voice of whichever Fuji musician sang a song with “solo makinde” in it. Also reminded me of yoruba movies and channel 157 – one of my fave DSTV cahnnels! Gosh! Yoruba people get mouth! They can yab!

21. Amh

December 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Beautiful.

22. Chinwe

December 21, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Beautiful family

23. Precta

December 21, 2014 at 7:08 pm

eheeeeenn ! @mostest……even if they want to have 4 kinds in 4 years, how is that an issue!? As long as they have they resources to take care of them …. E no consine me or you ar anybody for that matter

24. chayi

December 22, 2014 at 9:12 am

Beautiful., lovely, sweet, fantastic and interesting! God bless u both.

25. sum1special

December 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

They sound original and realistic..Love it

26. jhennique

December 22, 2014 at 10:47 am

I love this coupke. Their love shines thru even on their IG page.

27. adelegirl

December 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Lovey looking couple. I have such a soft spot for inter-tribal marriages especially those across different geographic zones in Nigeria.

I really think Timi Dakolo is so underrated/under-publicized! Like, where are his albums? I don’t only want to hear him sing at shows, I also would like to walk into a store and buy his album or listen to it play often on the radio or TV too. His voice is amazing, so soulful and raspy and heartfelt. Nigerians have limited him to playing at shows or using that his “here we stand” Nigeria unity song for political ads. So sad. I really wish him well. He needs to be on a bigger stage. I am tired of all these other largely talentless Nigerian artistes singing vacuous, meaningless, crass, tasteless, puerile songs with the same beat over and over again! Okay, rant time over. 😉

28. mee

December 23, 2014 at 12:50 am

Thanks Adelegirl, you spoke my mind, here were stand send chills tru ones body naturaly, bt sadly its political anthem now, n yes, you can hardly find his cds to buy,n Timi is highly underated.

29. hmmm

December 23, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Very nice

30. elizabeth

January 30, 2015 at 11:42 am

lovely couple, wishing them all the best

31. abisola rita

February 19, 2015 at 10:32 am

This is d best family ever…I pray to God to grant to u two every passing day more love, happiness & grace…I pray for this kinda marriage…God bless u both & d kids

32. Splendour

May 28, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Weda Dem Born Or Not E Nor Concern U E Don Happen E Don Happen Go Face Your Life Oga Advisers