Events

BN Health & Fitness: Step Aerobics with Adagurl

Incorporating a step bench into your workout is a great way to amp your cardiovascular workout. The constant push up onto a step increases leg strength and muscular endurance. Stepping up and down the bench also helps to improve coordination and spatial awareness. Unfortunately, many shy away from classic step aerobics classes, unable to connect to its 1980s feel, and discouraged by the complex choreography involved in the typical class.

Well, have I got great news for you! You can still reap the benefits of incorporating the step bench. Customized for Africans in the twenty first century, the videos below showcase simple, yet effective routines you can try using your step bench – putting less emphasis on memorizing complex choreography, and more on increasing your heart rate and building strength and endurance in the legs. The routines are also set to some great tunes. Enjoy “Mr Oreo” by Iyanya, and Tonye’s remake of the King Sunny Ade and Onyeka Onwenu classic, “Wait for Me.”

Step Agility/Legs

Step Agility

Also, if you are looking for a great way to stay fit during the holiday season, check one or more of my Holiday Boot Camp sessions in Nigeria this December. Detailed information on my website: http://adagurl0.wix.com/adaari

Photo Credit: Two Twenty Photography

Ada-Ari uploads weekly workouts set to African music. She is a certified, Elite Group Fitness instructor based in Washington, D.C. Ada-Ari teaches, step, aerobics, HIIT, and weight training classes multiple times a week. She is also a soccer player. Other loves: God, music, Game of Thrones, family time....... And (the Kardashians)... Did I just say that out loud? Follow on Instagram: @ada_ari Subscribe on youtube. Channel: AdaAri Like on Facebook: AdaAri www.adaari.com

1. Busarni

December 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Thanks girl; team fitness. Abstatics all the way

2. J

December 13, 2014 at 4:31 pm

No offense but the workout seemed to be more about being in step with the music than sweating it out. I enjoyed the music but the workout lacked most of what I’ll typically hope to get from a good workout at my local gym. I hope you take constructive criticism to your advantage in future workout sessions

• Staci B

December 13, 2014 at 10:56 pm

did you try it, instead of sitting ur nyash behind the computer and commenting?

3. Tim

December 13, 2014 at 10:04 pm

She needs to work on her legs….they look fat… build more leg-muscles. Not impress by her workout… need to be more intensive. I think she is just dancing to iyanya

4. atlstyle

December 14, 2014 at 12:11 am

J or whatever u call urself why don’t you try the steps with the music and see if you will make it to the end of the music…hisssss rubbish talk!!!!!! Everyone except u knows that dancing alone makes u sweat how much more coordinated steps like these…go with ur obese self that u are!

• Bola

December 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

How can your only comment on this post be just to attack someone. If you disagree, thats fine but I think we all need to chill with the insult. You would have been more credible just saying your contradicting piece instead of calling them obese or something.

5. Tim

December 14, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Anyone who says that muscle is not attractive to feel or to cuddle up to is just wrong and goes to show you that they haven’t even ever encountered a muscular figure. Muscle is soft – unless you are flexing, and who is cuddling in bed flexing? I know from experience as I went from skinny to all-ripped. Building legs muscles takes more energy….needs more squats;dead-lift, legs-extention not dacing to iyanya….

6. Mz Socially Awkward...

December 15, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I think her routine simply targets building endurance in the legs, as she already stated, and isn’t intended to build actual muscle. And Step aerobics are actually quite strenuous (especially if you build more resistance by increasing the height of the step) so they’re a great starter routine to get the lower body ready for more intensive muscular focused workouts.

@Tim, preach! My only misgiving about muscle building is that while I’m happy with the increased energy and the gradual turning of my fat to muscle (especially my butt), I’m not losing weight as quickly as I would have imagined. Still working on my 8kg target and maybe need to cut carbs completely out of my diet and see how things go…

7. Florence

December 15, 2014 at 10:25 pm

This is what I need in my life. Anything to make me forget the pain of working out.