News

Gabrielle Union speaks on Difficulty of Having a Child: “If It does Happen, it’s a Miracle”

Gabrielle Union - Uptown Magazine - December 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Gabrielle Union is rocking the hell out of that Juan Carlos Obando blue silk dress.

The 42 year old actress is the cover star for Uptown Magazine‘s new issue. In it Mrs Dwyane Wade speaks on the difficulty of having kids, her dream role and managing her money.

On having kids: “I think my brain and my heart are screaming baby fever. My ovaries, however, they’re coughing up dust. Yes, it’s in my heart and in my mind, and we’ll see if my body catches up with that.

I have really awesome step kids, so I feel equally as fulfilled. I’ve lasted 42 years without having a human being come from one of my orifices and I feel okay and fulfilled and happy. If it does happen, it’s a miracle—a medical miracle at least. I mean, we’d love to. We’ll see what my ovaries say. Cause right now they’re taking Geritol.”

On being a victim of the nude hack scandal: “I literally heard the day after I got married. It happened after [we had] the most epic discussion with pre-teens and teenagers about Internet safety, social media, being a target and having to be smart. The next day I had to say, ‘Ummm. Of no fault of my own, um, you know, I’m naked on the Internet.'”

On managing her finances: “I live so far below my means that if the career was taken away, I could get a job based on my level of education and my job skills, and I could still afford what I have. I plan ahead for the destruction, my financial ruin. I might borrow some hot shit, but you’re gonna come to my house and be like, ‘What happened to that dope bag that cost as much as a home?’ I borrow that. I give it right back.

I’m not broke, so I don’t have to take any old thing.”

1. TK

December 24, 2014 at 9:42 am

She”s 42???? No!!!!!!

• L.U

December 24, 2014 at 11:16 am

My exact reaction when I read this. Lol

2. RIFF RAFF

December 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

And when we advise women not to put off maternity for too long, because too long might become too late, we get get abused and cursed for “monitoring” people’s wombs. This chic at least has money to pay for surrogacy if the natural way aint working, plus her hubby got kids of his own kids, so the pressure is not that much.
    But this is Africa, we have our own realities, we do not have that level of open-mindedness. Plus, surrocacy is a lot of money. Back here, you’ll be thrown out of your home and/or maybe be replaced by another wife
    Yes, it is God who gives children, but the same God said there is a time for everything.
    You can’t cheat nature and then when your ovaries “begin to cough dust” , you start shouting “God’s time is the best” and abusing “monitorinfg spirits” when asked when u shall have your own kids. Na lie. it don’t work like that. By the way, God created nature and the laws of nature too.

• Eve82

December 24, 2014 at 2:02 pm

You are very STUPID!

• Olu

December 24, 2014 at 4:11 pm

“But this is Africa, we have our own realities,” ……backward realities and mentalities.

• Engoz

December 24, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Take your fake advice and shove it in your ass. Womb monitor/timekeeper. Why don’t you speak for yourself and say you are not openminded instead of generalizing the whole Africa. Is it not your president today that is giving out adopted daughters in marriage, but the general ‘African’ consensus according to your ilk would be that we don’t adopt. If you care so much tell your brothers to marry quick and stop stringing women along.
      Good on Gabrielle for not littering the black race with one more illegitimate child who black men refuse to be fathers to. As she said she is happy and fulfilled whether she has kids or not.

• Pat

December 24, 2014 at 10:55 pm

You are indeed a Riff Raff.

• jaguarnana

December 25, 2014 at 2:18 pm

thank you Riff Raff i am now going to walk down my street and let that man that has been professing his love indirectly by screaming good afternoon sister from across the road impregnate me, Besides I am sub human second to a man. who am I to dream of falling in love, of wanting to have an attraction to the opposite sex, to be with a man who is of similar status who does not treat me as a new acquirement to his portfolio, my fore mothers did it who am I to think any different and insult the ultimate goal and life achievement of womanhood by not spawning off all the healthy eggs i still have before my ovaries start coughing out dust…onofia!

• Take note

December 26, 2014 at 7:30 am

You chose the perfect name for yourself…..you’re a real riff raff…….are u God? Do u think peoples lives are always under their control?…..we are all thriving by His grace and mercy…….and it is not by our power or might…….your comment deserves an award for the dumbest comment of the year. I feel sorry for the person that will be your in law.

• oj

December 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm

What about those women who got married in their 20s but are still looking for the fruit of the womb in their 30s/40s? What did they do wrong? They are putting off maternity abi? Think before u post.

3. chika

December 24, 2014 at 11:19 am

No ooo, shez 24……..mumu

4. pocahontas

December 24, 2014 at 11:36 am

this woman can do no wrong in my eyes *sobs*..i love her.i could sense the humor in her replies and her goofy face .. 🙂

5. adelegirl

December 24, 2014 at 11:56 am

She is an amazing looking 42 year old. Wowza!!! 42 ke, bawo?

I love how really down to earth and almost self-deprecating she is in this interview. I am impressed and have a new-found level of respect for her knowing that though she is a Hollywood superstar actress she admits to living below her means and borrowing stuff from designers to wear instead of forking out cash on such things when she has the privilege to borrow them from designers whilst promoting their stuff.

I pray that her dreams about having kids come true soon.

• Opsy

December 24, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Amen!!!

6. Kelz

December 24, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I mean if my husband was Dewayne Wade, I wouldn’t spend my own money either. Why not live below your means when you put it all in perspective? Don’t let these people fool you with nonsense and ingredients.

• Olu

December 24, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Really?? ….another ‘African mentality or reality’. ……..Backward

7. jhennique

December 29, 2014 at 3:52 pm

wait a minute, did y’all even read to the end about what she said on her finances???? Thats a wise woman right there!

8. cool punch