Relationships

Genevieve Nnaji: If I Get Married, I Really want to Stay Married and Staying Married is not an Easy Thing

Genevieve Nnaji - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01

Nollywood actress Genevieve Nnaji had an interview with Vanguard Newspaper recently and in the interview she opens up about marriage and why she is taking her time to do it right.

According to her, marriage is not something to be rushed into.

She stated in the interview, “If I get married, I really want to stay married and staying married is not an easy thing. It means you are completely in tune with your partner. It means you have found your soulmate because you will have to be able to stand a lot of disappointments that would definitely come but then again you have to learn to forgive”

You can read up her full feature in Vanguard here.

What are your thoughts on this?

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Christian sister

December 14, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Um staying married is not an easy thing? You’ve not even given it a try yet or sumn. I love gene but sometimes she just seems like she enjoys jumping from man to man till she gets the man she’ll turn to her boy toy or something. Disappointed in that statement honestly. Yes marriage is not everything, but there comes a time when it becomes an issue. Not because everyone wants you that you’ll be doing unnecessary shakara.

• Zee

December 15, 2014 at 10:12 am

The joke is on you dear. Pls type her name with a capital letter G before you rant on here like you know her beyond what the media tells you. And yes! Staying married is not an easy thing.

• banks

December 15, 2014 at 10:53 am

Bla Bla shit….Maybe she’s one step from a lesbian, she aint a role model as far i’m concern and beyond her fame and intellects maybe a sex symbol and she inspires lot of women to live like marriage aint a special type tin so i’m not surprise if she’s scared to a make the move, follow omotola jalade and you will understand.

• jhennique

December 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

christian sister, what do u think you know. is that what they told u? that u shud try marriage first before knowing if it is an easy thing or not?
      sometimes i wonder who schooled y’all

2. posh

December 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm

so very true…staying married is the main thing.

• Pomegranate

December 15, 2014 at 8:44 am

Staying married is not the main thing. This is why many of our mothers generation have lost their minds. Because they are married to abusers and cheaters. Having a HAPPY AND FULFILLING MARRIAGE THAT AIDS BOTH PEOPLE’S DESTINIES is the main thing.

3. onyi

December 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm

So aty 40 she’s still speakinh eniglish. Smh. So bu now she can’t spot the right man. She’s def not interested in marriage.

• girl

December 15, 2014 at 4:20 am

obvious you liked your comment yourself, at least learn to speak english from her, onye ara.

4. ada

December 14, 2014 at 1:02 pm

St with you this babe is over rated no effort and she never gives bk to d socirty. Honestly at this age she’s still granting marriage interview. Genny you shuld be in a better place by now. Ur fans are bored. Offe

• Vibe

December 14, 2014 at 2:42 pm

How can you tell she doesn’t give back to the society? Some people don’t like to make news of their charity, you know.

5. Alero Mii

December 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Awww… Apt, and I heart you Genny

6. teji

December 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Hehehe real shit. Well let’s be honest gene is dry. Her band. Wagon will soon come here and drop 100 comments of how she is the most loved. Yawns. Borring. Serious go bk to d drawing table. Its beyond buttocks. The age is still showinmg.

• benny

December 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm

It is called “Botox”. Your illiteracy is appalling

• Iris

December 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm

LMAO is that what he/she meant? Shet mehn I stared at that sentence for a full minute trying to understand it. See me thinking, “Did Genevieve get butt implants or something?”

• Ona

December 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I thought she was trying to say ” bullocks”.. “Veyond botox” in the context she’s
      Using doesnt even make any sense.

• Ona

December 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm

“Beyond botox”

• Tbaby

December 15, 2014 at 11:23 am

Buahahahahahahahahaha, @teji, did u write buttocks?? Abi na slip of hand?? Buahahahahahaa, can’t stop laughing, funny peeps on social media.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm

@Ona, I also asumed the intended word was “bullocks” as well… Maybe Mr. Teji should return and put a rest to this online debate 🙂

7. timmy

December 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Z ok

8. Tomilola

December 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Unfortunately the society and even family don’t get this. They want you to marry because age is “not on your side” not because you are sure you have found the one. Marriage has become a destination to a lot of people, somewhere you get to and all your problems vanish miraculously. God help us. Well said Genny. Staying married is key.

9. pepperlina

December 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Okay. Seen.

10. fatima ali

December 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

True, but tym dey go o.

• Paypay

December 15, 2014 at 12:07 am

It is better for her to have 10 years of happy marriage than 20 years of disastrous marriage. So tell me, which do you wish for her? It’s not in the number of years one is married it’s in the quality of life u live when married.

• Tbaby

December 15, 2014 at 11:25 am

True @paypay.

11. Ross

December 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Totally agree. Too many Nigerians think of marriage as something to do for all the strangest reasons but love – ‘my mates are marrying’, ‘I’m getting old’. People approach it like its temporary but the implications are not. These days people are getting married for the wedding day and not the marriage itself. She should take her time.

12. Ama

December 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm

What is this ???? @ what age ??? stay there dey copy oyibo. what about menopause ? dont you wana birth Ya tiny feet.

Genny, you are old and over ripe for marriage. Its high time you settled down already.

• bruno

December 14, 2014 at 3:27 pm

@ama, are you auch you’re okay. the marriage police is out today.

• Ona

December 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm

My goodness! Some of these comments are embarrassing. Not everyone want kids. Not everyone want marriage. Not everyone want a family. Not everyone want to conform. How hard is it for u pple to understand that we musn’t all live a uniform life? Motherhood or being a hubby/wife doesnt come natural for some. Deal with it!

• eniola

December 16, 2014 at 10:23 pm

God bless you.

• benny

December 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

You do realise she has a daughter that im very sure is more mature than you are.

• Paypay

December 14, 2014 at 6:40 pm

If she got married and divorced, same people accusing her of not marrying will be ones laughing at her. Nawaoh dis world!

• Iris

December 14, 2014 at 6:52 pm

You confuse me. So…what is she to do if she gets married and decides she doesn’t want to stay married to the man and she made a mistake? Can she come and sell him to you and still keep his last name? Because I know you’ll be on her ass if she gets a divorce.

• Just me

December 15, 2014 at 2:18 am

33 is now considered old age….hmmmm
      Na wa for some people sha.
      You really don’t have to comment if you don’t like her.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 15, 2014 at 12:50 pm

If the only reason you’ve given is the approach of menopause and its detrimental effects to childbirth, she already has a child and we honestly don’t know if she wants more. Or if she’s open to adoption. Or if the point becomes moot because her husband can’t have kids (God forbid but these things happen and such situations exist, abi?).

13. bruno

December 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm

@ama, are you sure you’re okay. the marriage police is out today.

14. ushertech

December 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm

please o leave my lovely gene ah love her even with her age now

15. gracearmyde

December 14, 2014 at 3:35 pm

What I know for sure is that one would never get anything done dweliing on ‘what ifs’… what if it doesn’t work out? what if this what if that… Take a leap of faith with God Gen… you’d be surprised to find out he’s still very much faithful!

16. nene

December 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm

tbh, i don’t think she’s interested in marriage. nobody goes into marriage praying for it to crash, but if a marriage fails through the other person’s fault, then why blame yourself? nothing in life is easy, but we all move on.

17. Chris

December 14, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Awwww…well said. I’m not saying you don’t deserve happiness, but seeing that you’ve gotten your fair shares of men and their attention, I beg to differ. I sincerely have nothing against you, if you decide not to get married. But if we are to be realistic, then your fears should really not be an issue. I’m not married, but from what I’ve heard from folks, especially female friends, what you feel is perfectly normal. However, if you do see a man you love, and is willing to get married, go into it, with a modicum of risk. Even those who love eachother to the moon and back, would tell you that, sometimes they have doubts. Keeping God as your ultimate foundation in marriage and trusting you husband, while doing your best to keep your home; all these CAN potentially keep your marriage. So, if you see a good man, who is ready to settle down and you can do same with him, commit it to God and tie that knot. P.S all those peeps making it about her age, should stop bullying her, you guys are the same people that would curse and call her out, if her marriage crashes. Please, our words should comfort, not always condemn.

18. Chiemeka Ugo

December 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

But wait oo isn’t it high time this Nigerian journalist stop asking her questions about marriage. Our Nigerian journalist should please learn how to ask engaging questions. Watch her CNN interview very interesting and nice but once it comes down to naija it must be about marriage. Gosh. It’s high time the change this abeg. For how many years all you journalists ask the same question and there’s nothing different or new to know about her or her life . Do your proper research about the person before you go and conduct any interview biko nu it’s not hard. Her interviews of 2009, it’s still the same thing and topic which is Marriage. Am sure she is even tired self that’s why she keeps giving you people this kind of response. There is more to this life apart from marriage and more over she has a daughter already which am sure is very matured now. So what the hell is she using marriage and man to do. She has her family that loves her, daughter, Fans that adores her and is freaken fucken rich, that alone is more than enough. Her daughter will not and I quote forget her or disappoint her when she is old, so you people to stop asking her this marriage question.

• Paypay

December 14, 2014 at 11:59 pm

They do it bcos that is what rocks their boat. If you take marriage and crisis out of their report, news don finish be dat now.

• banks

December 15, 2014 at 11:08 am

Sharap there…Won’t her daughter one day leave her and get married too, then Gene will realise her miserable lonesome and her daughter will be a better version of her married while her mother stays stuck for life, you pple dont know nothing and lack of knowledge makes alot you pple perish even wit all d fame, money, fans and jack shit talks and lies

• NIBU

December 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm

WOW……….you sound very upset.

• Owelle

December 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm

You need panadol

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 15, 2014 at 12:54 pm

To be fair, it’s not an issue strictly limited to Nigerian journalists. Jennifer Aniston gets the same treatment from the U.S. media. I guess the reporters just like to focus on the questions they know the fans are most curious about, in order to sell the story. 🙂

19. NaijaPikin

December 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Some Naija people can be very sick and stupid. Is your life so empty, boring and unaccomplished that you have no choice but to meddle in another GROWN person’s business.

If she marries, how does it benefit you? If she doesn’t why do you care.? Why do you care if she has children or not? Mind your damn business and face your miserable lives. You cannot shame someone or force someone into doing what you think.

So tired of useless naija pple that are so mannerless. Worry about your own happiness and let others worry about theirs. Miserable lot.

Just had to vent. Enoufh of the bullshit

• Nalococo

December 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm

You are not different from naija people. If you’re someone with good manners you wouldn’t address naija people in such manner. It’s a discussion forum, everyone has the right to give their own opinion. Who are you? “Angel Gabriel.”?

20. Dee-USA

December 14, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Did anyone actually open the Vanguard article? It was written by a woman and the lede (lead) begins thus…”The dream of every woman is to find a man to spend her entire life with.” Excuse me? Disappointment isn’t even the word for it. I’ve long stopped reading Nigerian news stories because so called Nigerian journalists are anything but that. I’d rather read blogs so when I see countless mistakes I feel no need to criticize them. But to see a “journalist,” a female one at that, dedicate an entire story to a woman’s marital status is insulting. Contrary to what she thinks, every woman’s dream isn’t to find a man to spend her life with. Some may want to find the next big medicinal cure. Or start a charity foundation. Or build an empire. We have got to stop treating women as less than equals. We are not put on this earth to be men’s properties This is why married women get treated better than singles in Nigeria. A friend of mine told me that she is treated with less respect or regard than married women who report to her at work.

Guys, please respect your woman as your equal and she’ll elevate you. She’ll show you even more respect and love. You’ll look even better laying next to a woman who’s celebrated for her achievement. I have no respect for men who go around bragging about all the things they do for their wives (yes, I’ve heard many stories) when she gave up her career to take care of your children. You met her as an academic in school, maybe working at a company you have a business relationship with, but would prefer to let others think you upgraded her.

If I read one more story about why some high profile female isn’t married…..arrrrgh!

• NIBU

December 15, 2014 at 1:44 pm

OMG, I want like like your comment a million times! You’re bae!

• eniola

December 16, 2014 at 10:24 pm

LOVE THIS!

21. Somebody

December 14, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Story for the gods!

22. dimpled freak

December 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm

@Dee-USA I wish I could like your comment 1000x such a disgusting state of affairs we have. Irritated.com

23. bruno

December 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I don’t trust all u ladies that are saying there’s nothing wrong in being single.

im sure some of u are desperate and want to get married at any cost.

im sure when u finally get married u will start insulting single girls.

I don’t trust nigerians. people are very yeye and double standard and 2 faced. many of you people say something on this blog but can not practice it in real life. u come and preach feminism on this blog but can not practice it. pls u are not fooling anyone.

you are not decieving anyone with ur uplifting, single girl comments.

I still believe it is every single nigerian’s girls dream to marry and have kids. some of you have not just found a man that’s why you are writing uplifting comments so u dont feel bad about ur self but deep down in ur hearts I know marriage is ur number priority.

pls stop fooling ur self. don’t come here and preach something u can not practice in reality.

• Paypay

December 14, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Ofcos, there are women who are desperate and there are some who don’t give a hoot about it. They are too strong and confident, too able that they do not need a man or marriage to validate them. They won’t settle for ” what will people say”. Naija, we are too busy poking nose in other people’s lives. Marriage may not be on her achievement list. Let her be. It’s her life, it’s her lane, it’s her choice.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

@Paypay
      I believe there is a problem when we consider marriage or a man as an exercise of validation. Your being too confident and very ballsy feels like you are smothering yourself with too much of you. It is misleading to think that because you are all that, having a man by your side is to put a stamp of approval on all you have achieved. No. It (man, marriage) is separate independent and it stands alone. It does not complete you, rather, it is a continuity. Two are better than one does not mean that one is not good by itself only that it is better by one more.

We were built for companionship and made for love, whether from friends, family or a particular loved one. Don’t let your “I’m-a-single-independent-woman-and-I’m-happy-about-it” (in Ndijeka’s voice) be the reason for your being alone. That would be a waste.

24. Amh

December 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

No one asked . Period . When she gets a proper proposal not from chuks the spare part seller or from emeka the okada rider her fans. She will settle with the right guy at the right time. She s happy and comfortable with a grown child. She’s better off than most of her mates cuz she has a grown child already why worry. She got her child. A good career .And loved by peeps around her.

25. tee

December 15, 2014 at 1:16 am

Abeg make i hear word , we all can hide behind fake names and acronyms , so we can say what ever we so darn wish to say.

I am single and i am 30 so i guess i qualify to say my hullabaloo.

I grew up not liking the idea of a relationship and to prove it i didnt have a boyfriend until i was 20 , we broke up after 4 months , i really couldnt be bothered . I could even swear i am gay as i notice women more than men do .

I am now in a lovely relationship with a man that has given me the reason to want to say yes he is the one.

Before now , my career was it , and everyone noticed but i wondered what being cared for by someone of the opposite sex felt like .

I told myself if i would get married it would be to someone who i would not want to divorce.as tough as i was , doctors will not let me rest when i go for checkups , ‘Madame ,please try settle down before its too late,age isn’t on your side’ ‘, my mother too bla bla but really except you are a hard core gay please, you crave a loving relationship or the idea of it . If not all the time , at least once in a while .

My bloke had about 4 girls who knew they were just bed mates but didnt mind , probably hoping to win his heart sometimes later , he too was claiming’ I am not getting married ‘, i came along and he told me he wanted to marry me three days after we met . it was only much later he told me he had being praying for a partner, and had given up .

So trust me no one wants to be an island God didnt program us that way .

26. I said it!

December 15, 2014 at 2:50 am

ok. a few things.
    1. the same way it was a BIG deal when George Clooney (the eternal bachelor) got married….its the same reason why genevieve’s marital status is news. it will continue to be news until she marries. its the same way if (God forbid) she divorces…it will be news. Life of a celebrity. biko. i’m a fan but really…what projects has she done lately?

2. please marriage and success as a woman are NOT mutually exclusive! biko, why do we keep arguing this dichotomy that shouldn’t even exist?!?!?! nobody makes this argument about a man and his career post wedding! yes…women want to find the love of their life…AND they want to cure cancer…or whatever else they want to do! it isn’t one or the other. my mother got her MBA with 3 children and a husband at home. my auntie went to medical school with 5kids….she and 3 of her kids are doctors now!! IT CAN BE DONE! YOUR LIFE AND AMBITION DOESN’T END BECAUSE YOU ARE MARRIED! I find that people who take on this women’s lib argument always do so at the detriment of marriage. please….the fact that two people in all honesty have found love and companionship and are publically declaring their love to each other under God and making a go at real lifelong commitment…is a BIG FREAKING DEAL! the fact that a woman is 40 and single…isn’t the end of her life, but biko, i bet you that woman has joined night vigil praying for a man! is it easy to sleep alone at night??!?!!? your success doesn’t insulate you from real human issues such as loneliness, true love and companionship. (before you people say how do i know anyone is lonely, biko PARK WELL!!!!!!!!!!!). lets be real. Love is real. Marriage is great if it’s what you want and if you find that person willing to go on the journey with you! it doesn’t make you more or less of anything…it just makes you human!

3. Totally unrelated but please….can we just let women be great…however they define that greatness?!?!?! a woman CAN measure her success by how well she has raised her children and managed her home/marriage….. IF THAT IS HOW SHE CHOOSES TO MEASURE SUCCESS IN HER LIFE! with all the dysfunctional psychos running around in the world, lets not diminish the role of a strong loving parental influence in the home. it is not easy. in the words of Lupita…YOUR DREAMS ARE VALID! don’t let ndi blog commenters diminish Whatever path you have chosen for yourself.

No i’m not a stay at home mom!
    Yes i have a career.
    Yes i’m married.
    Yes it took about 20 minutes of my life to draft this comment and it was totally worth it. 🙂

Rant over!

• Peaches77

December 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I like you!

27. I said it!

December 15, 2014 at 2:53 am

all this nonsense about not needing a man. KMT! you people should stop it biko!

• Mocha

December 15, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Define ‘need’

28. banks

December 15, 2014 at 10:57 am

Go get omotola jalade to teach you then you wont be afraid to get married or stay married

• jake ro

December 15, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Absolute rubbish comment.you do not make sense at all.

29. Yayi Boni

December 15, 2014 at 11:10 am

Geny OOOO sweet Genny.. You are not married because no man did ask you to marry him… In fact, you might stay old … because you are stuck up with this class, money and too many don’ts on men.. be careful dear.

30. lol

December 15, 2014 at 11:26 am

@ tee
    hmmm @4 bedmates. and you think you’re tne only one dude is srewing? (chuckles) men dont change i can bet my next paycheck on this- there are other ladies he in his life and he also tells them he wants to marry them too. #beentheredonethat
    #mendontchange
    #whenwillwomenlearn?
    #okbye

31. Ade

December 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Ode!
    So pissed about women coming here to say stupid things..
    YOU NEED A PARTNER!
    Stop hiding here to claim what you are not.

32. Mocha

December 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Wanting a partner and marriage are two different things. I want a partner, but marriage? Not so much.

33. Paypay

December 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

@bobosteke and Lara Bian.
    I love this part of your comment.
    “(man, marriage) is separate independent and it stands alone. It does not complete you, rather, it is a continuity”

And this sealed it for me.

“Two are better than one does not mean that one is not good by itself only that it is better by one more”.

Such an eye opening point of view. Thanks

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

December 16, 2014 at 11:37 am

You are most welcome.

34. jake ro

December 15, 2014 at 9:28 pm

As much as I respect marriage I still strongly believe that it may not be for everyone.

35. jhennique

December 16, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Genny, this is just a pathetic excuse for your singlehood. Ur pride and snobbishness wil soon get the better of you. Yes its not easy to stay married but are u the first? haba! are we children here?

36. spoonfullofsugar

December 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

@Tee, ”My bloke had about 4 girls who knew they were just bed mates but didnt mind , probably hoping to win his heart sometimes later , he too was claiming’ I am not getting married ‘, i came along and he told me he wanted to marry me three days after we met . it was only much later he told me he had being praying for a partner, and had given up ”

Your Bloke told you that he was PRAYING for a partner and at the same time, sleeping with four random girls and this is the guy you want to spend the rest of your life with? OK

37. uc

January 14, 2015 at 9:15 am

My dear gene,I’m not yet married so I can’t says what marriage all about, but what till you is this if possible for you to do is to me just give me chance to married you I promise to be a very good man and husband to you by GOD’S grace.

38. wendy

March 28, 2016 at 11:55 am

She’s simply a feminist……..love her,she is a nightmare to Nigeria men who think they r too special and take women as maids…God punish all of una….if am rich like her I will go to the streets and start slapping men especially. Buhari#Mr women do not v a post in my admin#

39. lily

December 12, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Genny feel free to marry a foreigner who understands you and not intimidated by your successes.most Nigerian men even the rich ones can’t stand a successful woman.unless….you don’t want marriage