News

I Will Govern Nigeria in Accordance with the Constitution – Buhari

Muhammadu BuhariRetired Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate in the February 14, 2015 presidential election, on Thursday promised to govern the country in accordance with the Nigerian constitution if elected.

Buhari made the promise at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere in his acceptance speech after being declared the winner of the party’s presidential primary.

The Chairman of APC National Convention Committee, Kayode Fayemi, who declared the results of the primary, said that Buhari polled a total of 3,430 votes to defeat former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, who got 954votes.

Fayemi said that Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kano State scored 974 votes while Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo got 624 and Sam Nda-Isaiah, the Publisher of Leadership Newspapers, polled 10 votes.

Buhari, after being declared winner, said: “I understand there are challenges ahead. I promise that my administration will govern Nigeria in accordance with the constitution.’’

He promised to put in place a government that would realise a new Nigeria and put the country on a level where it would be respected more in the international community.

The APC presidential candidate promised to give priority to agriculture, healthcare and creation of wealth as well as enhance the power of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to tackle corruption.

Buhari, who described his victory as a great triumph of democracy, called for the support of all Nigerians.
“I need your support, I need your help to become the President of Nigeria in next year’s presidential election.
“I see this as an opportunity to rescue the nation from joblessness, poverty and to tackle all its challenges,” he said.
He commended the convention committee and leadership of the party for conducting a hitch-free programme, saying that the outcome of the primary was a testimony that “democracy is at work.”

Buhari also thanked other aspirants for accepting the outcome of the election and promised to work with them during electioneering.

1. nola

December 12, 2014 at 10:00 am

Please let us forget all bias and vote this guy.. He is our hope against the corrupt stricken PDP. History is evidence of this

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I agree. Even if he is not our collective hope, we just need a CHANGE! The thought of another 4 to 8 years of this Moron and his cronies has made me decide to drop everything here in the States to come and help in whatever capacity. This is OUR one chance to shape the future of our country. Aren’t you-yes, each one of you reading this appeal from me, that studied abroad or toiled and sacrificed in Nigerian colleges , aren’t you frustrated that after all the scarifices you still can’t live your lives to the fullest potential; have realizing you cannot actualize your dreams because of the same dogging frustrating issues-no stable electricity, corruption, nepotism, inadequate healthcare, insecurity, broken civil service system and the list goes on. We’ve got to give someone else a chance. I don’t care if you are from Jonathan’s otuoke’s village and he has shared bags of rice and dashed you Ankara, when you go into that booth please vote what is right and true. The handout his wife gave out four years ago did it last more that a month and did it translate into economic viability for your family. WE’VE GOT TO GIVE SOMEONE ELSE OR ANOTHER TEAM A CHANCE. People at home especially should help by taking this CHANGE campaign to SM. We need everyone’s hand on deck. It starts with me-I WILL BE COMING HOME TO HELP FOR A FEW MONTHS. We (the bright, enlightened and spirited) should put religion and ethnicity aside just this one time and TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY. We have all commented here in BN and on so many other SM forums everytime we read about another blood shed in the north, when little boys are slaughtered in government colleges( that
      could have been any of us if you attended boarding school in our dear country); during the past 5 yrs- and we cursed “ahed!”and hissed, every single time. Now we have that one chance to take back control. I don’t know Buhari, but I grew up during the idiagbon era, even though I was already abroad, I still understood the impact they made in such a short time. Please let us give Buhari a chance. I am changing my dp to Buhari starting now until Election Day and I am taking time off to come home to help him WIN.

• VeryAngryNigerian

December 12, 2014 at 2:59 pm

True, we want change, but should we now jump from frying pan to fire just because of that?… Point is the people directing Nigeria’s political affairs have not changed, that’s why we have the same candidates we had 4yrs ago. Take for example, GEJ made more billionaires than millionaires, what does that mean? there are people close to his cabinet benefiting real good from his administration, those people put him in the front as the PDP candidate. When we begin to see more millionaires, it’s a good indication that the wealth is spreading. Unfortunately, that’s a tall order. Ask yourself this, why are we recycling the same people over and over again when we see no major changes in our economy? Answer? ‘WE’ are not, a select group are, “the godfathers”. Now they are telling us to choose between jumping in the lion’s den or the burning furnace. Whichever one we choose, we will get burnt or buried.

• bey

December 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

We need someone to clear the forest before we begin building and Buhari will do just that! End off….

2. AW

December 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

People will promise anything when they want something in return, especially nigerian politicians. My greatest fear with somebody like buhari being president is the prospect of having Nigeria declared an islamic state.

• libby

December 12, 2014 at 11:11 am

I’m with you, totally agree

• nola

December 12, 2014 at 12:15 pm

AW, when people say these things, I am always shocked, and appalled how can someone turn Nigeria into an Islamic state? When Buhari and his deputy Idiagbon ( both Muslims) were military heads of state with all the arbitrary powers at their disposition they didn’t turn Nigeria into an Islamic state, it is now when the world is watching in a democratic dispensation… Is this possible? Please let us think , is it possible ? please let us stop this divide, useless propaganda and vote someone with integrity….he has no foreign account or foreign houses ooo, which one of them can bost of it, common civil servant in alausa abi min of power get house for knightsbridge………remember people have stolen and are still stealing our children’s inheritance. This must be stopped!!

• AW

December 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm

While I agree with some of the issues you have raised, unfortunately, I would rather err on the side of caution. I still recall when IBB was head of state and he allegedly smuggled nigeria into the IOC? We have Boko haram which originates from the same region as buhari declaring Islamic States left and right. It is a sad conclusion to arrive at, but I would rather not live in a Taliban-like country, thank you very much. I lived in the north and experienced first-hand what it is to be caught up in religious crisis, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy! Imagine living everyday like that. It is better imagined than experienced!

• irritated

December 12, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I agree with you Nola, we are tired of the PDP stealing honestly. We dont want GEJ anymore! I just wish APC could have presented a better candidate. This man is 72 years old and had tried and failed 3 times, i mean come on! Anyway, its too late for regrets now. 2015, we are all watching

• VeryAngryNigerian

December 12, 2014 at 2:45 pm

But you talk like you sleep and wake with Buhari…..he has no foreign accounts? …. I have seen politicians stack money away under someone else’s identity that you cannot trace it back to them. Buhari is strict for sure, and I hope that strictness will help curb BH ,Niger Delta militants and also corruption, while not islamizing Nigeria. If I’m guaranteed those 4 things I will vote him. You cannot deny that Buhari is a big supporter of sharia Laws, he will never deny it. Yes he can rule according to constitution, but there are lee-ways in the constitution that can make sharia legal as it is in some Northern states. Let people ask these pertinent questions and let them be answered clearly. I watched the last debate 4yrs ago, and Buhari could not articulately answer some questions thrown at him, I hope this time, he is prepared and he is able to. I know most people , unless they are benefiting from the present administration want to see a better Nigeria, but like the saying goes, past performance is a good indication of future performance. I don’t blame those who are scared to vote for him because of his past. And to answer your question, anything, I repeat anything is possible in Nigeria. With that said I’m tired of the same old recycled folks, feels like de-javu.

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Thank You! We’ve got to remove religion from our psyche in that country in order for us to progress. So Nigeria that has some of the largest churches and wealthiest pastors, i ask, what impact with all the night vigil and prayer warrioring, what impact has Jonathan made in 6 yrs? I know…the CAN leader got himself a private jet and became a weapons broker. Fcuk religion and the manipulation that comes with, we need economic viability and opportunities for ALL.

• Ross

December 12, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Nice. No propaganda. But think sha. Do you really want a 73 year old man running a nation with 50% of its population under 50 years old????????? 73?? He should stay at home and pass his wisdom on to his grandchildren so maybe they would become better leaders tomorrow. He should stay at home. Hian!!!

• Idomagirl

December 13, 2014 at 3:03 am

Nola God bless you for this. It’s so appalling that we still cannot see beyond religion in this country. When he was a military dictator he didn’t Islamise the country, it’s during a democracy with a National Assembly that he will do it?

Jonathan that is a Christian, that travels up and down with pastors and kneels before them, what has he done for the country? Hasn’t Boko Haram grown stronger under his watch? Abeg.

If supposedly educated and exposed people are displaying this sort of pedestrian thinking, what should we expect from the masses of uneducated out there?

• ola

December 13, 2014 at 3:22 am

Islamic state how………..please read and think before you write. The damn useless christian there now that has knelt before every man of God has turned the country to a non governable state. security zero, road zero, schools zero, hospital zero, good governance zero…………..if he turns it to Islamic state and we are well governed so be it…. the so called Christians has failed us. your truly a prophet of God

3. Obiyeable

December 12, 2014 at 10:26 am

That’s what “The others” said. Get into office First and let’s see what you have to offer us. God Bless Nigeria!

4. Bibi

December 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

I am a Christian and I will definitely be voting for Buhari. Buhari for 2015.

• toby

December 12, 2014 at 11:24 am

any body can be whatever they want to be on social media

5. Taiwo

December 12, 2014 at 11:13 am

My vote has nothing to do with religion, all I want is someone who can do the job and out of all presidential aspirants for 2015 elections, He seems well suited to do the needful

6. Dee

December 12, 2014 at 11:20 am

Buhari will definitely get my vote and that of my family. I am tired of the clueless one who has managed to almost destroy Nigeria in the years he has ruled. If GEJ gets 4 more years, I wonder what will be left of Nigeria.

• Green

December 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm

And you think Buhari would be better? Vote for whoever you wish and stop trying to justify your decision. All these politicians are the same!

7. Chy

December 12, 2014 at 11:27 am

I don’t care what this man does for Nigeria; the greatest thing he can do for Nigeria is remove that CLAUSE in the Nigerian constitution that allows government officials to loot/steal/embezzle Nigerian money that they did not earn and still remain in office and go free to steal more Nigerian money. That clause that was put there by Nigerian Military must be removed as we are now a Democratic country. This foolish clause is damaging to Nigerian economy and progress. It serves nothing positive for the country.

• Iris

December 12, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Jesu! There’s such a clause in the constitution?! And homeboy wants to rule according to the constitution in place. O tan!

• Idomagirl

December 13, 2014 at 3:05 am

Every democratically elected official is supposed to rule according to the constitution. Nothing strange in what he has said.

8. Ada Nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 11:38 am

BUHARI 2015!

• Annie

December 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Damn girl, you out here literally trolling every post to promote Buhari like youre getting paid. and I KNOW you aint. Go to work boo boo.

• ada nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm

BUHARI 2015

• Ross

December 12, 2014 at 4:13 pm

A 73 year old man???? Shouldn’t he retire??? How coherent is your 73 year old granpa? Don’t you wish him a beautiful holiday somewhere quiet and nice? We need new leaders who are up to date. Not old people who are living off their 2year-military reign from 32 years ago. Haba. Act educated now.

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Ehn ehn? And the young PhD idiot from otuoke, what has he done for you lately?

9. SMH

December 12, 2014 at 11:54 am

I pity the generations to come, u all still think this is about politics. Wake up & smell the coffee, this is about Religion nd the Jihad taking over Nigeria. Jonathan is not their to give u a change, he is just a covenant child keeping the seat safe till the right man comes. Read the history of turkey nd how Islam took over the country, get proper info on what the Jihad has instore for Nigeria. Buhari said he will govern Nigeria with the constitution that mention Islam 150 times, exonerates sharia law nd no place at all for christianity Or other religion. The only hope freedom has is our vote. I am not a politician & I don’t deal them, but I hv enough research to tell u that if u vote wrongly, what happened in turkey will not stand what will happen to freedom of religion or feedom of living in Nigeria.

• Ada Nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I love Jesus with all my heart but i hate it when people use Christianity or any religion for that matter as an excuse to throw their brains away…GEJ, a covenant child, please ask the church that stole your brain to give it back to you…..

• CovertNigerian

December 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Nna mehn!…Ba-baby dear, how far nah? We suppose begin write our social media love story. How you see am? 8 months from now there could be a story about how I replied your comment, we exchanged messages, talked, met and are engaged (provided we are not cousins or something).
      Haha…seriously though, I’m with you. I shudder when I see the kind of comments supposedly educated Nigerians make on social media. It makes we wonder what hope exists among the largely uneducated, and information deprived majority in our population.
      We have 5 years of proven incompetence on top unspectacular spells as a deputy governor, acting governor and vice president and people still want to base their decisions on religious sentiments. It is scary indeed. Buhari may not be the ideal, but until people come up with fact based criticisms against him and not baseless rubbish about islamization, jihads and terrorism the man will have my support.

• ada nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 10:20 pm

@covert Nigerian…Lol!!your intro had me in stitches…

• CovertNigerian

December 13, 2014 at 8:05 pm

@AdaNnewi…Precisely what I was going for. I’m off to a positive start then…haha. Till we “see” again.

• Anon

December 12, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Turkey? When did Islam take over that country?

That secular country, a friend of the West and a liberal country? Actually, it’s one of the best examples of “laicite” which is a separation of religion and the state. They have Kemal Ataturk to thank for that for his disestablishment of Islam and the virtual repeal of the sharia. Instead, he enacted civil and criminal codes of a non-religious character. There is no Islam in their constitution.
      If you mean the issue with the Kurds, that’s more political than religious.

Turkey is a wrong example for you to use, please.

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 2:01 pm

BULL S*IT! It is you inserting religion into this. Which stupid covenant child? which of the gods gave johnathan the privilege to watch over 200 hundreds girls kidnapped and defiled while his work wife dezeini ferried billions of dollars on his behalf through omokore to Swiss accounts; when we don’t have common oxygen in our hospitals. Then that god you worship must be merciless. JONATHAN MUST GO!

• Idomagirl

December 13, 2014 at 3:15 am

Are you aware that Turkey is a secular country and until recently it was illegal for women to wear hijabs in government offices? You are telling us to do some reading when you clearly have no clue yourself.

And what is spectacular about Buhari saying he will govern according to the constitution? isn’t that what every democratically elected official should do?

10. Anon

December 12, 2014 at 11:57 am

Well it’s a democracy isn’t it? Why won’t he govern Nigeria in accordance with the constitution? If elected, I hope the checks and balances will work – the Senate and House of Reps. However, they are unusually corrupt.

Declaring Nigeria as an Islamic state isn’t as easy as that.

Who will be his running mate? Fashola? Then they may have a shot. Forget about the Moslem/Moslem ticket. I always forget Fashola is a Moslem. But BAT may want someone else. The horsetrading starts now. Good luck to Nigeria and pun not intended.

11. xy

December 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Buhari has my vote all the way… Greedy Madam Patience and her husband need to step down because Nigeria has a lot more to offer and those two need to be stopped from totally destroying our economy. Only greedy beneficiaries of Goodluck’s reign will still want him in power, at this point i believe anyone else is better than GIJ. I have spoken ooooo … A word is enough for the wise. I am from the East and Christian btw.

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I agree, we have reached a point where whatever alternative is thrust at us is better than what we have now. Jonathan MUST GO! Even if this means breaking the country apart. Jonathan will NOT and SHOULD NOT lead Nigeria after next year’s election.

12. Authentic Sunshine

December 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm

He has failed already with that mere pronunciation. Our constitution needs an overhaul. We haven’t got any.How can anyone think of using the constitution of 19 bgeregede to govern Nigeria of today. I don’t care if he is a Muslim, Buddhist or Sun worshiper, Nigeria needs someone who would make a change.
    When I was much younger say 10 – 12 years ago, I took part in a written competition about suggestions for a way forward / developmental strategy in Nigeria. I won and still have the hard copies. All 25 pages of them, handwritten and frayed. You see, a country like Nigeria with its diversity CAN NOT be managed by one person. What we need is a project that involves working with dedicated young people at tertiary education level to drive the CHANGE we need. Carefully selected and highly intelligent advocates who would infiltrate, research into and come up with robust plans for the sector they are assigned to work with. Robust because each team would argue and convince other teams including selected scholars why their intervention should be adopted. The selling point here is that any strategy eventually adopted is tailor made for the Nigerian society and not a borrowed idea. In addition, it seeks for solution in the rubble of chaos we live in. It can be delivered alongside other projects and it thrives in celebrating success. Finally it acknowledges all our challenges when plotting its approach, it’s time lined and will be recorded. Please this is the idea we should be selling. Nigeria is no longer one person’s problem. A president CAN NOT do it on his/her own. Please spread the idea. It’s underpinned by social marketing ideology. And involves assessing a society/ sector before selling an idea which fit their norm.

13. Chiemeka Ugo

December 12, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I see in buhari what Rochas Okorocha has done and wants to do in imo state. Deceived imo people and made us stand by him, vote, gave him power and then the next turned turned into a vampire. Too many promises yet all is propaganda. Turning Imo state into a family business were he gives his son inlaw governorship ticket for apc and comes back later after his failure in clinching the presidential ticket to take it back. I weep for my country.

• Idomagirl

December 13, 2014 at 3:21 am

Buhari is completely different from Rochas. Anyone not blinded by sentiment could smell Rochas’ circus clown antics a mile away. Instead of asking hard questions people were deceived by ‘oh see him roasting corn by the road side, chai he is so humble’.

14. Babbie

December 12, 2014 at 1:58 pm

It is just so sad that in 2014, the only option we have to have a chance of getting Nigeria on the right path is Gen. Buhari. I have heard that name since I was in primary school. Haba, Naija is finished.

15. amy

December 12, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Pls vote rightly……… Buhari is not who u think he is……. Pls vote for GEJ….. U may think he’s d worst president, something worst is coming to Nigeria if u vote for dis man

• Wale

December 12, 2014 at 4:50 pm

The difference is we have seen Buhari perform before, he is not new to us over 30yrs old. He has proven himself once before but IBB’s coup ended his progress. This is his time to fulfill his vision for Nigeria. It is Buhari or Burst!

• ada nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Are you one of his girlfriends?

• Idomagirl

December 13, 2014 at 3:16 am

It cannot possibly be worse than Goodluck Jonathan. Not possible.

16. Green

December 12, 2014 at 3:50 pm

You all take your values to the poll. This is all I’ve preached. If you want to campaign, by all means but I’d rather vote GEJ than give my vote to Buhari. Whatever happened to APC selecting viable candidates, whatever happened to Fashola? I refuse to accept that Buhari is the answer because I imagine what he wants to do now that he didn’t do before. Everyone holds GEJ accountable for the Chibok girls and the bombings in the North, my question is “what has either Buhari or Atiku done or said about these killings?”
    Suddenly, he starts this bullshit talk governing Nigeria and all of you are going to give him your votes…think twice. All acclaimed Christians on this blog, pray!

• CovertNigerian

December 12, 2014 at 7:34 pm

A couple of things:
      1. I think there is a misconception about Fashola’s popularity. That he’s massively popular in Lagos, doesn’t mean he has the clout to capture votes on a national scale. Whether we like it or not, Buhari has a national presence and can capture votes across the country – even some folks deep in villages across the country know him. The same may not be true about Fashola. If Nigerians were not so narrow minded, I think he’d make an excellent VP but we too many are worried about a moslem/moslem ticket.

2. As far as pronuncements by Buhari and Atiku go, while I think its important that they demonstrate where they stand through what they say and do, I cannot understand why you think we should not hold the Nigerian leader, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces….responsible, especially given how many times he’s told us things about knowing the people backing BH (yet no arrests or convictions), or that the insurgency will be ended by so and so month (just look in the newspapers).

17. Wale

December 12, 2014 at 6:17 pm

You assume I am a woman or he is into men? Which one is it?

• ada nnewi

December 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

My question was directed at amy…

18. belle

December 12, 2014 at 11:35 pm

my two cents: As far as i am concerned, Jonathan has failed unrepentantly and we’ll be dam**d if we cast our votes for him again. On the other hand, Buhari is ermm what i’ll like to call the angel we don’t know. Yes he was the president when i was in kindergarten, but the truth is time has passed, and we do NOT know if he is a grenade waiting to explode if elected. It is so sad that we don’t have a better candidate than GEJ and now people will rather vote for anything at all than GEJ. As for me i wont bother wasting my vote on either of them, cos Nigeria is yet to have a leader worth voting for and since i can remember we have been our own governments providing light (generator), water (borehole), work et al for ourselves.

Regardless, I pray that whoever comes in will tackle all of our challenges particularly,
    insecurity,
    power supply,
    unemployment,
    poor healthcare,
    poor education system,
    and corruption which tops the charts.

God bless Naija.

19. Possible

December 13, 2014 at 7:09 am

Is there any difference in this “Use the rope to tie to goat and use the goat to tie the rope”? If No, that means, these leaders are all same. Thanks.

20. Possible

December 13, 2014 at 7:10 am

Is there any difference in this “Use the rope to tie the goat and use the goat to tie the rope”? If No, that means, these leaders are all same. Thanks.

21. OOO

December 13, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Buhari is not the one to bring change. Nigerians will swallow anything they are given. I know PDP sucks but people forget Nigeria is made of 400 different tribes.

Is Jonathan the best candidate from Niger Delta?

Northerners in power has always been horrible from history

22. jake ro

December 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Go back and do your research well and see how it has all been going bad with turkey.it is becomming a mess there on a daily basis with their president begining to run the country almost like sadam hussein did. Building himself a presidential mansion costing billions and plan made to turn himself into a life president , already voted and supported by his extreme islamist cronies.

23. jake ro

December 13, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Ok people, buhari has not even won the election and he is talking about ruling your country as if he has already won.i still remember what I read about this man buhari threatening to turn nigeria into a mess if the north does not win the next election., while he was supportive of boko haram from begining , some time ago , he complained of them wanting to kill him.be careful with who you cast your vote for, for you may end up voting for your own destruction in the end..when he was once in power , things were not the way it is now in the world, but today ,people look around the world and see the kind of blood that flows b/c of religion and politics.do not give those who you know in your heart that can divide and not bring people together in the name of wanting a change your vote.it is a case of the devil I know is still better than the one I did not know at all irrespective of what happen in the past.today is what matters right now.