Connect with us

Advertisement

News

150 People Died in Baga Attack, Not 2000 – Military

Published

 on

Boko Haram BellaNaijaThe Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said about 150 people died in Baga, Borno, during the recent insurgents’ attack on the town, and not 2000 persons as reported.

Olukolade said this at a news briefing on Monday in Abuja.

He said since the unfortunate incident a lot of speculations and conjectures had been peddled by a section of the press, particularly the on-line media regarding the casualty rate.

“Some claimed that over a thousand people were killed while others wrote with certainty that 2000 people lost their lives in that singular attack.

“Without any doubt, terrible atrocities have been committed against innocent Nigerians in Baga by the rampaging terrorists who attacked and have been operating in the town since Jan. 3, 2015.

“From all available evidences, the number of people who lost their lives during that attack has so far not exceeded about 150 in the interim.

“This figure includes many of the terrorists who were bearing arms and got killed in the course of their attack and battle with troops.

Olukolade, however, said that necessary action was being taken to put an end to the activities of the terrorists and restore law and order in the community.

He said to end the activities of the terrorists in the community a lot of covert operations including surveillance activities which recorded series of aerial photographs were ongoing in that vicinity.

“It should be noted that Baga and the neighbouring towns have been under series of attacks and harassment by terrorists.

In the course of this, many residents have left, leaving the population in the town almost seriously depleted.

“Many were also able to escape while the terrorists’ battle with troops lasted. The figure given by sources who claim to be eye witnesses must be an extremely exaggerated estimate.

“Unfortunately, this figure is now being bandied about in a section of the media as if it has been authenticated. It cannot be true.

Olukolade urged the media to be circumspect in adopting casualty figures especially the ones given to them by eye witnesses, whom he said, in most cases were influenced by their own perspectives.

“In any case, this is no time to debate about casualty figures or number of deaths as the life of any Nigerian is important.

“Much as the intention which could be with the aim of drawing attention to the atrocities being committed by terrorists group in Nigeria is most welcome, the need for factual presentation of the situation is equally vital.

He said the aim of the misinformation was to further the design of those bent on discrediting the government and the military, adding that all well-meaning people should consider it as a disservice to humanity.

“The tendency to celebrate the occasional setbacks while downplaying the efforts and successes at containing the terrorists is unfair and very unfortunate.

“It is noteworthy that many international bodies are being misled in the interpretation of the situation owing to sensational headlines and stories.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to reiterate its earlier assurance that the military has not given up on Baga or any part of the country where terrorists are marauding.

“Appropriate plans, men and resources are presently being mobilised to address the situation. We want to reassure Nigerians that no portion of Nigeria’s territory has been or will be conceded to terrorists.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.

16 Comments

  1. Fre

    January 13, 2015 at 11:10 am

    We need to have a mindset that the numbers don’t matter (even though they do).
    But we should be angry and react for one person being murdered like the entire nation was wiped out.
    1, 2, 30, 150, 2000… It’s still a life lost. Let’s look beyond the statistics

  2. i no send

    January 13, 2015 at 11:17 am

    ok noted

  3. Ada Nnewi

    January 13, 2015 at 11:26 am

    Liars!!!!….Even if na 150 una no dey shame abi man pikin na chicken!…mmmscscchhheeww!

  4. @edDREAMZ

    January 13, 2015 at 11:51 am

    a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    .
    All na cover up we knw abeg…
    .
    .
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

  5. jhennique

    January 13, 2015 at 12:08 pm

    sebi i talk am! Nonsense!!!! who is couinting sef? 2000 people my ass! how big is baga? i hate false wittness! mtcheww
    RIP to all those who died senselessly tho. whether it be 1 or 100

    • Nne

      January 13, 2015 at 2:05 pm

      Errr…. Baga has a population of 10,000 so if there was a massacre and 2,000 died it is believable.

    • ada nnewi

      January 14, 2015 at 7:08 am

      Let them go and slaughter people in your village and i’ll know if you’ll still have the. Audacity to be debating the number of the dead…anu ofia!

  6. som

    January 13, 2015 at 12:36 pm

    be it 1 actual or 10,000 exaggerated figure, does it matter? don’t lives count for anything anymore? dear Lord, what has become of our nation? you criticize the figure rumored like it means anything, 150HUMAN LIVES died! 150! i bet if any of you had a loved one who perished you will not care if the figures were grossly exaggerated.. people are in mourning, children separated from their parents and you are lamenting false figures..how did Nigerians pick up on the story that began since january 3rd when people were still removing chicken remains from their teeth? people were dying…most local newspapers refused to carry the news to protect parties they supported( i wont mention names). govt officials denied the authenticity of the news, exaggerated figures or not. They denied claims that people were dying in Baga. 17 died in Paris and Nigerians will give you verbal account of what happened, word for word verbatim as if they are of french citizenry.
    I dont know how to end this tirade….surely there is an end.

  7. tee

    January 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm

    i wonder if their round figures on casualties is true

  8. Libgirl

    January 13, 2015 at 1:31 pm

    There really is no difference between 150 and 2000, because the loved ones of each and every person that died, feel the pain.

  9. sweetness

    January 13, 2015 at 2:11 pm

    God my ur will be done on this nation

  10. Nahum

    January 13, 2015 at 4:13 pm

    216 girls are missing, countless more are dead and this buffoon is coming to haggle over numbers like a market woman. Nothing has been done to find those girls or stop the killings but this administration is focused on getting the number or dead right, like it will lessen their shame in anyway. You have failed your people, whether it is 1 or 1000, Nigerian lives matter!!!

  11. Maria

    January 13, 2015 at 4:24 pm

    Are this people mad 1 person, 2, 2, 8 ,1000, 1000000, who cares should people even die such a senseless death at all. I do not care how many people died all that matters is that people died for nothing. if one of Jonathan child died in that city all hell would have broken lose but since boko haram hasn’t killed anyone the government seem important then it is ok. lets remember God in all we do

  12. NagosBigBoi

    January 13, 2015 at 5:30 pm

    Oga General, I no go believe ur number bcos you have lied so many times to us before. I go wait until Amnesty International come out with their count based on satellite photos. That is how we have gotten a better estimate of lives lost when u have fabricated in the past.

  13. Idomagirl

    January 13, 2015 at 7:14 pm

    This same military spokesperson that lied that all but 8 of the Chibok girls had been rescued? No thanks, I’d rather take the word of Amnesty International over his…

    Apart from that, even if only 2 people died does that matter any less than it should if 2000 died? Nonsense.

  14. makeihearword

    January 20, 2015 at 1:23 am

    look lets be serious how can satellite images show how many people died, has anyone seen the satellite images released… they show some red dots,,, so wettin concern red dots and people dead, pls lets be real i don’t believe 2000 people died. and i have read all the news there was no counting.,.. who did the count… Amnesty Intl like talking alot of nonsense to get attention… some white guy or black man to a western human rights group came up with a figure, or interviewed someone and brought out 2000 from the air,.
    the general said numbers doesn’t matter but you can’t be running around with fake numbers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa



Star Features

css.php