News

And the Winner is…Miss Colombia Wins Miss Universe 2014 | Miss Nigeria Wins ‘Miss Congeniality Universe’

Miss Universe 2014 - Paulina Vega

Miss Universe 2014 – Paulina Vega

After a rigorous competition with 88 girls from around the world, Miss Universe 2014 has emerged and it is 22-year-old Paulina Vega, Miss Colombia.

The grand finale of the Miss Universe competition was concluded a few hours ago at the FIU Arena in Miami, Florida.

462232770

The top 15 contestants were Miss Philippines, Miss Netherlands, Miss Colombia, Miss Ukraine, Miss Venezuela, Miss Australia, Miss Argentina, Miss Jamaica, Miss USA, Miss France, Miss Indonesia, Miss India, Miss Italy, Miss Brazil and Miss Spain.

Top 5 - Miss Jamaica

Top 5 – Miss Jamaica

Top 5 - Miss Netherlands

Top 5 – Miss Netherlands

Top 5 - Miss Colombia

Top 5 – Miss Colombia

Top 5 - Miss France

Top 5 – Miss Ukraine

Top 5 - Miss USA

Top 5 – Miss USA

Top 5

Top 5

Miss Indonesia Elvira Devinamira was the world’s pick for Best National Costume at the 2014 Miss Universe pageant. The gorgeous lady was awarded the honor for her breathtaking costume inspired by a Buddhist temple in her home country!

Miss Indonesia

Miss Indonesia

Miss Indonesia

Miss Indonesia

The top five costumes were Miss Germany, Miss India, Miss Indonesia, Miss Canada and Miss Argentina.

Best National Costume was voted for on Twitter.

Other winners of the night include:

Miss Congeniality Universe – Miss Nigeria
Miss Photogenic Universe – Miss Puerto Rico

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Alexander Tamargo

1. Iris

January 26, 2015 at 8:06 am

Miss Nigeria won Miss Congeniality though. Either way I can’ take that contest seriously. None of those girls deserved to win. Simple questions they couldn’t answer. Miss USA sounded vapid, Miss Jamaica answered off point, one of them said she didn’t understand the question…it was just a hot mess.

2. TT

January 26, 2015 at 8:14 am

May the representative of Nigeria be acknowledged for winning the Miss Congeniality Award please?

Thank you!

3. bruno

January 26, 2015 at 8:29 am

congratulations to the winner.

no african country came prepared (especially miss nigeria)

oya miss nigeria,come back home and become a baby mama for a footballer or a musician.

• Nahum

January 26, 2015 at 10:17 am

Chai Bruno, why is your mouth this wicked???? LMAO

• Dreamvick

February 3, 2015 at 7:48 am

How did no african country come prepared…?!

4. abi

January 26, 2015 at 8:43 am

why was miss Nigeria kneeling down when presented her award,she thinks she is greeting her folks or wat.LMAO

• dhessy

January 26, 2015 at 10:01 am

U are nothing yet u speak… mediocrity in d highest order… appreciate ur own country …. apparently u dnt know d meaning of her award.

• hel

January 26, 2015 at 10:25 am

Who tell u say she kneel down and u know no say African culture mandate a little bow to show gratitude. ode

5. TheLazyNatural

January 26, 2015 at 9:00 am

Still a win for Miss Nigeria!

6. oj

January 26, 2015 at 9:10 am

upon how we yab the girl, she was the only African that won an award.

7. ozi

January 26, 2015 at 9:29 am

Miss universe is a shallow pageant dat focuses mainly on the physical appearanc eof d delegate unlike in miss world where dey crown an epitome of d inner and outer beautyn mostly someone who is beautiful with a purpose. You’ll observe that african delegates perform better in d miss world compared to d miss universe. And u all shld go 2 d offical MU page and see d outburst of ppl around d world. D org has been favouring miss colombia frm day 1 and despite d rumours abt her ‘bitchy’ attitude she still always makes d no 1 on everyone’s prediction list. And nw on d finale she answered her question dumbly and she won. The message I want 2 pass here is dat favouritism is all over d world so dnt condemn our african delegates

8. ATL's Finest

January 26, 2015 at 9:37 am

Ms. Nigeria congrats either way! @ Ms. Indonesia chaiii U deserve am.. wearing a 44 pounds weight attire is no JOKE. I know she is use to it, however, it probably took forever to put it on.

9. angela okhuosi

January 26, 2015 at 10:14 am

she tried

10. sum1special

January 26, 2015 at 10:27 am

Kudos to miss Nigeria for inning her award.She must have really impressed the girls….Very nice

11. Tosin

January 26, 2015 at 10:57 am

Proud of our sister 🙂

12. Elle

January 26, 2015 at 11:20 am

Aww! I knew Queen had this. Such a beautiful personality. Yay Nigeria!

13. CoconutPineapple

January 26, 2015 at 11:20 am

Goodjob Ms.Nigeria!

You went and came home with something! I hope you can leverage off this exposure

Don’t come back and settle into the mediocre lives of former queens

14. halyma

January 26, 2015 at 11:31 am

Where are all d people condemning Ben Bruce them for not sending a dark skin girl unlike some African countries….what did ur preferred skin coloured girls take home? Being dark skin myself, I saw no reason for all d insults…Congrats Miss Nigeria!

• truetalk

January 26, 2015 at 12:18 pm

My sister, no mind dem. Na because oyibo don define, abi stereotype African beauty as “Lupita”, dem dey follow the bandwagon. As if when dem first see the woman, dem call am beautiful. Anyways, Lupii, you are still beautiful.

15. Changing Faces

January 26, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Congratulations Miss Nigeria, I’m very happy you were recognised. I hope all those that yabbed her for not being a ‘true representation of Africa’ will come out and blame oyibos for ojoro! Come out and question why they didn’t give anything to your favourite true Africans Miss Kenya and Miss Ghana, did they not see their colour and natural hair? People that knew nothing about the selection process just bashed the girl for the crime of being light skinned!

16. annie

January 26, 2015 at 12:40 pm

so where are all those who were writing 10 paragraphs on our miss Nigeria??? comparing her to the other African girls ,at the end of the day she s coming home with a good win that some of the other contestants dont have.. Congrats to her and let us learn to support our own biko

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 26, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I was one of those you speak of, who compared her responses given in that video to those voiced by the other African contestants. My supposition is that when you call for those who wrote paragraphs, my comment fell within your scope, no? 🙂

She’s won Miss Congeniality and that’s quite commendable in an international pageant but it does not reduce the importance of what I pointed out in the post you refer to (http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/01/19/get-to-know-all-about-the-10-african-queens-in-miss-universe-2014-watch/), which is the need to make our young women see what other heights their lives can aspire to beyond just physical appeal. So that they can still be banging babes who bring more to the table other than a pretty face and keep looking into opportunities to expand their potential.

Congratulations to Queen again and to keep your mind at rest, I maintain my opinion as stated in the other post. :-)

17. Tar

January 26, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Everyone who kept bashing miss Nigeria prior to the event, I think you all should humble yourselves and appreciate her for representing us well and winning Miss Congeniality. Amidst all the insanity surrounding this country and the rest of the world constantly looking down on us, it is quite refreshing to be positively represented and stand out for something good. This just goes to show beauty runs skin deep. At the end of the day, who you are will always trump what you look like.

“That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful”

18. mrs chidukane

January 26, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I had to watch it before commenting. The question and answer session na waya. I’m really disappointed especially in Miss USA who couldn’t give a satisfactory answer when asked what her country has contributed to the world.

19. Curious

January 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! All the haters and bashers, where una dey eh? (In my Timaya voice). Shebi na for this same Bella naija, wey all you MEAN and SPITEFUL people were openly showing your disdain for this Nigerian girl talmabout how the dark skinned, natural hair toting African reps were the ones to beat. All y’all were attacking this Nigerian chick wey no do una anything just cos….But the reason wey I take like this life be sey none of una know tomorrow. The girl all y’all scorned is now the one that managed to even get some recognition for the pageant. Out of all the plenty, plenty country wey full that place, na she wey snag Congeniality award. Ghana and Kenya, how far for them na? Their skin color and hair no be advantage again? I been think sey the judges for just see their skin color and sey dem no put weave for head, talk sey, ‘we hereby declare these two joint winners, everyone else go home’. ROFTLMAO!!! I can’t stop laughing sha.

Abeg congratulations my dear, go on with your bad ass light skinned self honey! You worked it!

• Mabel

January 26, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Folks, like myself, who touted and supported black women wearing their natural hair in pageants like these do not do so to put down anybody else. It is simply important for little black girls growing up to see these images. Whether the women won the final competition or not, it shows young girls that a country picked a girl that looks like her, whose looks may not be considered the height of beauty globally, whose hair may not be considered the height of desirability, but that woman is still crowned a beauty queen. I supported those women because I know the value of their participation, which is bigger than me and you. However, I did not support them at the expense of putting down any other participant. I even chastised Miss Ghana for telling some lame story of a past competition she entered. When we still have little black girls who think white dolls are prettier than black dolls you better believe those images are important.

Miss Nigeria’s win is equally important, because it also helps to dispel the stereotype that black women have bad attitudes, and it is good that her award was a peer award because it shows she made an impact on the other participants.

20. nene

January 26, 2015 at 5:08 pm

BN, no picture of our miss congeniality? haba diaris God o

21. imose

January 26, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Congrts Miss Nigeria on your win. It was a friends bashing on FB, that made me watch it. Immediately I tuned in they were about to announce miss congeniality. And the winner is Nigeria!! And I said to self it doesn’t matter what people say about you…your result will prove them wrong !! *deep thoughts* May Miss universe reign make impact and peace .
    Let the words of your mouth be seasoned with salt..so it may administer Grace!! *

22. Mis Tee

January 26, 2015 at 8:19 pm

How come no body seems to find it odd Miss USA always seems to make top 5. I know they are usually very beautiful women but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a year (in both Miss Universe and Miss World) that the good ol’ USA didn’t make top 5.

23. Mabel

January 26, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I find it mighty astonishing that not one African participant made it to the top 15. How can every continent get on the podium except Africa?

At least Nigeria got something to come home with.

24. BS

January 26, 2015 at 9:15 pm

The only girl that qualified for this was Mrs. Jamaica. These girls are supposedly suppose to be all round and intelligent. They couldn’t even answer a question right. Beauty but no brains. I was happy when the audience booed after Ms. Jamaica came in 5th. Nonsense

25. kiki

January 27, 2015 at 3:55 am

for real! i was disappointed at the results. Jamaica should have taken that crown home,
    question and answer session was a total disappointment.

26. Ozi

January 27, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Its so funny that we condemn our own cos of der skin colour n yt we blame d whites 4 discriminating against blacks. Tell me if ur saying dat every african delegate mst b black wat happened to d fair ppl dat God created here in africa or was it dat He made a mistake? If u watch pageants a lot u will c dat even in d west dey send mixed colour delegates 2 represent dem you’ll remember dat in 2012 MU a dark skinned ghanian/canadian girl repd canada n even in MW 2014 d delegate frm france isn’t al white she is mixed also I remember d year USA crowned d first black Miss USA who was later dethroned ppl said it was bcos of racism (despite she was dethroned fr posing nude on playboy mag n hey am referring 2 vanessa williams in case sum1 is getn confused) so wat is ur problem with fair ppl? Cos I find it annoying wen I go tru ppl’s comment n dey write nasty tins abt her skin colour chances r dat even if she was dark skinned n she did her best she wldnt still win. Pls let’s always learn 2 appreciate our own.

27. Summer

January 28, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Filipinos were very sad when Miss Philippines did not enter the top 5 this year and we thought that Miss Venezuela will be the greatest competitor of all the contestants. We had been in the top 5 since 1999 then 2010 upto 2013, we won the Miss World, Miss International, Miss Supranational and Miss Intercontinental last 2013 then we just left out in top 10 this year.We failed to get the crown. We were really unhappy. Miss Jamaica should have won the title not Miss Colombia. Anyway, congratulations to the Miss Universe 2014…. Next year we will work hard to get the Miss Universe, Miss World and Miss International titles…

28. tunmi

January 28, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Congratulations to Miss Nigeria. I’m not going to take her win from her, and I do stand my original point.