Scoop

Azuka Ogujiuba goes in on Toke Makinwa, Says She Almost Cheapened and Marred 2014 Headies with Dry Jokes and ‘Fake-Ness’

BellaNaija.com

Toke Makinwa in April by Kunbi

Toke Makinwa in April by Kunbi

ThisDay newspaper columnist Azuka Ogujiuba used her Saturday column to talk about the 2014 Headies in an article titled ‘The Good, Bad and Ugly of 2014 Headies Awards’ and in her post she talks about everything from the show itself to the hosts of the night – Basketmouth and Toke Makinwa.

She talks about Toke Makinwa’s hosting at length. Read in part her thoughts on Toke Makinwa:

She obviously loves the limelight; she enjoys being called and seen as a celebrity, and she loves the good life of being a star, which sincerely is not a crime and it is equally her business anyway. For me as a journalist, if I am to pick any of the known on-air personalities to interview then Toke Makinwa will never make number 50 on my list because I don’t know what she wants to tell the world about her career and personal life again. Her life is practically on the social network but it is truly her choice. There is no doubt that she works hard and can be aggressive. She probably wants to be the most popular radio personality and, of course, probably has to add the ‘fake it till you make it’ attitude into everything she does. Her strategy is working for her. I actually used to think Toke was loved and revered by her fans until she co-hosted the 2014 HEADIES awards. Initially, I thought she had butterflies in her stomach, because I have been a victim before, when I had to present an award to the family of the late Dagrin, who died a month before the award in 2010. When I saw the crowd watching me on stage I was scared and immediately become dumb, I was so overwhelmed by stage fright that D1 came to my rescue. Through that short time the crowd booed me off the stage, and it should be worse for a wanna-be celebrity like Toke whom I used to think has more fans than the likes of Funke Akindele, Tu face, Geneveive Nnaji and co, because that is how Toke Makinwa rates herself. Maybe she thinks she falls in the category of A-list celebrities. Well, to some people she might be.

She almost cheapened and marred the show with her dry jokes and her ‘fake-ness’, trying to be who she is not. I think Animashaun imagines his event as a huge joke that was why he opted for Toke. The fact that Toke presents ‘Trends’ does not mean she has the capability to host such a big show and a large crowd. And the crowd was not merciful at all, as the audience made Toke realize she was not wanted on stage; nobody replied her calls or laughed at her jokes. They just wanted her out of the stage every time she came out in any of her horrible outfits which, as usual, were given to her free by designers, who also have fallen prey to her ‘fakeness’. The response was so bad that at a point I felt so sorry for her. Less I forget, I also wore an outfit courtesy of Kina Buti to the awards night.

Her second outfit was a sequin jumpsuit, which got the audience laughing when she walked up to the stage. I didn’t see her at first because I was actually chatting on my blackberry phone, but the laughter from the crowd made me look up quickly. People talked openly not caring who was listening, and I heard from the seat behind me someone asking ‘Why is this girl fooling herself? What nonsense is she wearing and why would she wear a ‘Padded Butt’ in this kind of outfit? Another said she looked like she wore pampers, and the comments and laughter at Toke’s foolery went on and on. And I just thought to myself who is actually her stylist? Who is doing this to Toke? Or is she her own worst enemy? She made it worse when she tried to thrill the crowd with her various dance steps which she did badly as the crowd continued to bully and boo her. It was so hard not to laugh, as she kept making jest of herself on stage. Toke invited Julius Agwu on stage to assist her in dancing shoki, and Julius Agwu flawed and also threw jibes at her and her ugly/funny jumpsuit. It was then with the large crowd that I realized Toke has this ‘we love to hate you kind of personality’. She’s liked as much as she’s disliked and draws negative and controversial attention. In a way, I think she loves anything negative or positive as long as she is seen on the pages of newspapers, magazines and for her stories to be on the blogs. For people like Toke any publicity is cool as long people know or read about her. As long as it makes her join the league of ‘celebrity world’ she does not care.

Her third outfit was made in adire with a funny big bow. It was equally ugly and drab; I don’t know which designer made the outfit and, the fourth outfit reminded me of a turkey for thanksgiving. I don’t understand the dress or is it the feathers? Biko, who is her stylist, I ask again and, the exchange of wigs, was that really necessary?

During the awards she did everything she could to make the crowd happy but they were very hostile to her, to the extent that at one point she plead with the crowd to accept and laugh at her jokes or even applaud her efforts to make them enjoy the show, but the crowd still ignored her until Basketmouth as usual came to her rescue. Even her jokes at Basketmouth’s marriage was quickly hushed and halted by him.

The truth is Toke Makinwa has no business hosting the show, because her presence almost marred the event. She is what people in the crowd described as ‘a die-hard wanna-be’ and it is working for her l guess. And her accent is a gist for her another.

To read up the rest of her article click here.

Photo Credit: Instagram – Toke Makinwa

1. Kiki

January 5, 2015 at 7:32 am

Waiting for Toke fans to comment.

• honey

January 5, 2015 at 10:07 am

while trying to google that ugly never do well, i stumbled across this. She is indeed a serial hater who doesnt like anyone happy because she herself is full of sadness:

“Onyeka Onwenu

ThisDay Style writer, Azuka Ogujiuba wrote an article on October 30th titled ‘A Blaze of Glory for 2Face’ where she referred to Toni Payne as a groupie. Music Legend Onyeka Onwenu decided to respond to the article.
      Read it after the cut…

ThisDay Newspapers: Azuka Ogujiuba’s Hatchet Job on Ms Toni Payne – A blaze of glory for Tuface – Saturday Oct 30, 2010. – By Onyeka Onwenu

I have rarely made it my business to respond to newspaper articles, but when I do, you can be sure that I have been sorely provoked.

You can also imagine that in nearly thirty years as an Entertainer, running the whole gamut of the industry as Singer/Songwriter, Actress, Broadcaster etc, I have had more than a fair share of unwarranted attacks. I have also witnessed others go through it, especially women. I have come to accept these attacks as some of the hazards of the job we do. There are people who are just jealous of others’ progress and who perhaps live vicariously, albeit with malicious intent, through the doings of those they envy. Some of these people happen to be journalists who by virtue of their profession, have the advantage of the pages of a newspaper or the air waves, as instruments of harassment and denigration.

That said, let me remind all, that I am a journalist and have unlimited respect for my profession and training. Nigerian journalists are among the best in the world and I am indeed proud to be one of them.

Nigeria is a society which professes to respect women, but in practice we do not. Our tradition is to keep them down, relegate them to the background where they are best seen and not heard. When they manage to break through the glass ceiling, striving to be themselves and excelling against all odds, we celebrate them, quite alright, but with an undertone of fear for their “brazen”, “aggressive” and “uppity” disposition. And as soon as the slightest opportunity presents itself, we quickly pull them down.

A journalist who never fails to disappoint in this regard is Mr Reuben Abati of the Guardian Editorial Board. On the issue of Nigeria’s First Ladies and their “Powers”, Abati’s language is almost always condescending and denigatory, to the extent that I am compelled to conclude that he harbours a deep resentment for women – for some reason. His last contribution to the Okirika Waterfront demolition debate and Her Excellency, Dame Jonathans’ expression of concern, earlier this year, comes readily to mind.

Quite a few journalists in the 80s and 90s made their names criticizing Onyeka Onwenu, mostly for no reason other than their wanting to be noticed. I refer to people like Azuka Jebosi and Ladi of Punch Newspapers, Mayor Akinpelu and Faj of the defunct Fame Magazine.

At a point, Dele Momudu, God bless him, was moved to admonish Faj, who, not so subtly had tried to rubbish my CD “Onyeka” inspite of the fact that it was adjudged to be a brilliant outing in 1992.

Mayor Akinpelu declared to all who cared to listen that he “could not stand Onyeka Onwenu” who according to him was indeed “finished”, as an Artiste. This was during the campaign for PMAN (Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria) Presidency, which pitted me against King Sunny Ade, in 1998. The Anti – Onyeka campaign continued with great intensity until I took a number of Entertainment Publications to court and won substantial amounts of money. These publications sought to damage my reputation. I was portrayed as a person of easy virtue, a prostitute, a trouble maker and an unserious Artiste. Hard to believe, is it not?

My crime was my audacity of purpose, outspokenness and insistence on being given my due respect. For displaying a modicum of self respect and restraint in my public conduct, I was labelled a snub, with the usual comment, “who does she think she is”.

Well, I was never one to back down from a challenge and I gave as good as I got. I made no apologies and I continued to be myself – self assured, focused and dedicated to my work. In due course and grudgingly, these journalists had no choice but to begin to show respect and appreciation for my person and my work.

In all these attacks, the most perplexing were the ones from a female journalist, the Queen of Junk, she was called, at the time. For some reason, she really had it in for me, other female Artistes and even fellow female journalists.

I had taken enough courses in psychology in college to realize that the attacks were coming from a sense of inadequacy, in herself. When her career of bitterness and vendetta took a nose dive and she couldn’t compete in an era where journalism of personal attack had lost its lure, I concluded that I was right.

And that brings me to Azuka Ogujiuba and Toni Payne.

Ms Toni Payne is my publicist and a young woman who impresses me with her zeal for work and excellent knowledge of the Nigerian Entertainment terrain with regards to what she does, which is publicism. She is respectful and conducts herself with decorum. She handles assignments with a seriousness that belies her young age. Ever since I came in contact with her, for the publicity of my Legend CD early this year, I have not ceased to be amazed by her appetite for work and sincerity of purpose.

To watch her pummelled on Azuka’s Saturday This Day column, week after week, and unnecessarily, has been a torture for me. Ms Payne has laughed off these obvious attacks but I am not prepared to do so.

In her article “A Blaze of Glory for Tuface”, in discussing the issue of Tuface’s Baby mothers and the “danger they portend to his career (an issue I most definitely do not want to delve into), Azuka manages, as usual, to draw in Toni Payne, whom she describes as a “Groupie”. This is for marrying the Artiste 9ice, I suppose. Hear Azuka, “Toni Payne who conspicuously falls into this category because of her undying and unimaginable love to be called “Celebrity” has finally created the biggest Rift or ‘BEEF’ as they say in the Nigerian Entertainment scene. Azuka goes on and on, wondering how Toni Payne could live with herself. She ends the tirade with this: “Some even suggest that 9ice’s decision to end their marriage was a smart move”.

My dear Azuka, if you have a thing for 9ice, why don’t you go after him and leave Toni Payne alone. You have become too obvious and deliberate in your attacks. This is not journalism but vendetta, unprovoked, unwarranted and unbearable for those of us who pay money to buy This Day on Saturdays.

Your Editor should now call you to order. Enough!

I had not intended to write this article. I had made a personal phone call to Ms Ogujiuba, to try and speak with her about her unrelenting attacks on Toni Payne. This is the conversation that ensued.
      Me: “Hello! May I please speak with Azuka Ogujiuba?”
      Azuka: Silence (there is some talking in the background).
      Me: “Hello, my name is Onyeka Onwenu. Am I speaking to Azuka?”
      Azuka: “Yes, what do you want?”
      Me: “You seem not to know me but I really would like to talk with you about Toni Payne and the fact that…”
      Azuka: Cuts in – “How did you even get my number?”
      Me: “Oh I see that you are intent on being rude. Well, I will write your Editor instead. I don’t do rude” I switched off.

My song “One Love” has a line which says “living in the world is a struggle just staying alive” and that is true, particularly for a young, professional woman in Nigeria. The last thing she needs is a misdirected, ambitious and envious journalist, trying to put her down, ostensibly, because of her marriage choice.

I am not interested in Toni Payne’s private life and it is not my place to defend her choices but I do take exception to a journalist attacking someone for no good reason, particularly a woman. Azuka Ogujiuba, get a life and leave Toni Payne alone to live hers.

God bless you.
      Onyeka Onwenu (MFR)”

• engee

January 5, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Okay I thought I was the only one who remembers how hateful this azuka girl can be.

• Wale

January 5, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Coming from Owenu who had a business woman forcibly ejected from her store in Abuja just to please a politician. Then she arranged for the woman to be assaulted by police. Her likes, Toke and the Azuka lady are the very reason Nigeria has become what it is-celebrities that have allowed the word to soak their brains;the public that allows mediocrity, unjustified unfairness and the economy that offers nothing better or more substantial than half baked talents to thrive, complete focus on fashion, entertainment and the glut for obscene materialism.

• Lois

January 6, 2015 at 12:36 pm

God bless you honey. This is well ‘said’…bitterness and hatefulness of people especially women could be horrifying. This Azuka lady better pray and work to be a better person

• Lois

January 6, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Hian, Abeg, this Azuka’s face is better suited for the blood of Jesus! you scream each time your car radio moves to Toke’s station…Chai, wowo nah wo-won-sin. No wonder she is so bitter and hateful. But this Azuka lady needs to be a better person. She is this ugly without a good heart. Chai

• TheLazyNatural

January 7, 2015 at 4:12 am

she really does sound hateful !

• Hian!

January 5, 2015 at 10:17 am

I am not a Toke Fan, NOT AT ALL.
      Anyone who knows will know I was all over her particularly during the fake publicity stunt period with Maje and all.. I can’t stand her show, if my car radio mistakenly stalls at 93.7 in the morning, I literally shout “blood of Jesus” and switch stations with alacrity.

However, this just reeks of beef, actually seems like you wish you were in her shoes, particularly with the free clothes from designers (oya confess Azuka), Toke is fake, might have been a horrible presenter and all, but this attack, is personal, now go to confession

• ATL's Finest

January 5, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Lmao @ blood of Jesus.. I’m not a FAN either so who cares????? Not me!

• bummite

January 5, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Saw Azuka”s picture…I dont typically do this comparison thing but honestly this lady is far less attractive than Toke. IMO she is jealous and petty and wishes she is Toke”s shoes. And I dont even like Toke at all.

• concerned

February 15, 2015 at 11:45 am

Haba, Ada my namesake! How on earth could you do this to me? I clicked on your link and saw Azuka’s photo. Chai! Now I wont be able to sleep,ooo. Blood of Jesus

• TheLazyNatural

January 7, 2015 at 4:11 am

I was at this award and although she struggled to please the crowd, she sure tried for a first timer, I must admit the exchange of wigs was unnecessary and her outfits were certainly not bad,

2. Nikky

January 5, 2015 at 7:36 am

Seriously, why are women their own worst enemy?

Azuka Ogujiuba, I never heard of you, i dont know who you are, i couldnt care any less about Toke but reading your piece was revolting. I see envy and jealousy hidden behind your words. we get it, you dont like her. we get it, you think she is fake, but really should that be news? This write up is horrible and you should be ashamed of yourself for embarrassing journalists and columnists with this piece.

You attack her clothes and mention the designers have fallen prey to her fakeness yet in the next breath, you are telling us about your own designer too. who is fooling who? Character assassination, thats all i see in your piece and thats not true journalism. You should be ashamed of yourself for putting up this in an acclaimed paper like thisday.

This is a horrible way for me to begin a new week, reading this nonsense that has been put up from your column. learn how to write better column cos this is not it.

• Carliforniabawlars

January 5, 2015 at 8:12 am

This has nothing to do with women being women’s enemy! Men critique all the time…Et Cetera and Charles Novia ‘attack’ men (and women alike) every other week….why don’t we belittle all men for that?! Your opening line is one used often and i think it one that sits right between stupid and mysogynistic….cos frankly i find it a direct attack on women (as it makes us all look like petty dumbos)…so there’s a slice of your own pie for you….And with no disrespect to you and your intelligence o, but i outrightly don’t bother reading or listening to what anyone who subscribes to such generalities and fallacies has to offer….

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 9:53 am

So one individual just gave this comment a thousand likes!!!!*jaw dropping* Azuka more Energy to your index finger!!!

• Carliforniabawlar

January 5, 2015 at 10:34 am

Lol….maybe a couple of people feel very strongly about this ‘every woman is a hater syndrome’?? Why does it have to be azuka? Well…i hope there is no assumption that i support the author of the original article? anyway na una sabi…sha let us use small logic when analyzing and weighing in on issues…no matter how trivial they are…the fact that it is a poorly written article isn’t an excuse to drag ‘all women’ into it. A ‘columnist’ doesn’t like a ‘celebrity’ and its an apocalypse…e pele.

• Flavour flav

January 5, 2015 at 4:15 pm

My dear read through a post or go through a picture or flip through anything online, your first thought would always go to the negative and what is wrong about the people, either in their dressing or something else. if you deny it then you are a liar. i rest my case

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 8:33 am

Azuka your words were dripping with the kind of pain someone can only feel when someone they don’t like for no reason at all is EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL and keeps winning!!!…..Btw being this hateful will only make you Ugly or Uglier..

• Susan

January 5, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Ada Nnewi, but how can that be Azuka? California or whatever her name is, is a regular commenter on BN. I don’t like or hate Toke and I do think the comments by Azuka, although true are too blunt and vicious. At the same time, I do not think she is a hater. This is 2015, we shouldn’t use that word carelessly. Because someone doesn’t like you or has made an assumption, truthful or not, doesn’t necessarily make the person a hater.

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Dear Susan, Comprehension is key…I did not state that California bawler is Azuka, neither did i state that she liked her own comment…I only inferred that Azuka crept in here and liked California bawler’s comment over a thousand times…..BTW if you go ahead to misconstrue this comment i can’t help you any further..

January 10, 2015 at 2:57 am

winning? shebi na our pikin Azuka don win?

January 10, 2015 at 2:58 am

winning? shebi na our Azuka don win? na wa for u o

• Ayiba

January 5, 2015 at 9:12 am

African women*

• girl

January 5, 2015 at 6:41 pm

haba why are y’all blaming azuka? if i looked like poto-poto i too would be bitter. I honestly don’t like to come for people’s appearances but azuka you are the definition of ewwww, everything about you from your aesthetics to your heart is “ewwwww” same as your personality, you a cringe worthy. Now to the whole point of the article I won’t even lie i like toke, I love her aggressiveness and her nonchalant attitude, she obviously overdoes it a lot of times but i can’t knock a woman who is trying to make an honest living as far as she isn’t hurting anyone.

3. Surely

January 5, 2015 at 7:37 am

This Azuka CANNOT be a journalist with her painful grammar. ” “Less” I forget””… Oluwa!
    Azuka, you have NEVER looked good in your entire life. So I don’t know why you’re worried about Toke who has looked good at least 35% of the time.
    What was the point of adding that Kinabuti detail? I’m sure you want to associate with her because she’s oyinbo. Area mama Azuka HAhaha

• Fre

January 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

I’m not even going to comment on every other thing she said, but she had NO right to judge how anyone dresses.
      Azuka has never ever looked/dressed good, ever.
      Like she makes extra effort to look like an error.
      I’m not even a Toke fan, I know she exists and that’s there is to it.

• anonymous

January 5, 2015 at 11:20 am

i just saw her pix posted by Ada Nnewi and i realized that she has inferiority complex cos of her looks and this has made her so hateful and bitter, you cannot give what you dont have, how do you expect her to like people when she doesnt even like herself. she is a wishing wannabe

• Zee

January 5, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Did U see become instead of became.
      I looked at her picture and screamed blood of Jesus, with a tummy like that and an unattractive look plus obvious lack of dress sense, U get mouth enter person.
      Some ppl chop liver mehn!!!!

• toyosi

January 5, 2015 at 8:51 pm

o jare my dear i know she only put her best pic here finally so that we can cheer her on because she is pretty. mscheww

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 6, 2015 at 9:52 am

@Surely, may The Faithful God bless you. Can this “journalist” please return to the podium and explain her appalling grammar? I was reading and cringing – abi dem no teach ‘Use of English’ as part of the full course wey give am credentials? When you add the terrible narrative flow and paragraph structuring, you wonder how the heck ThisDay allows rubbish like this to go to print on a daily or weekly basis.

Azuka, you should feel overwhelming shame for embarrassing your profession like this. Also, you’re a pitiful bully who needs Jesus. I honestly don’t even have anger in my heart for you, just pity regarding your bile-filled existence.

ThisDay, una no get editor???????????????????????

4. pattt

January 5, 2015 at 7:45 am

Who’s this idiot that doesn’t even know when to use a past tense. You’re just jealous of toke because she’s loved unlike you, in fact you’re an animal, ode oshi. Na jealousy go kill you.

5. jay

January 5, 2015 at 7:46 am

Why is this lady so bitter? U carried venom from last year into 2015?? Oga o..try and get some happiness in life.

6. Bevaida

January 5, 2015 at 7:48 am

Lol, Too deep ! !

7. love and other Disasters

January 5, 2015 at 7:54 am

Yes this ‘journalist’ sounds bitter but if we are being honesty here 90% of what she said is true. #justsaying

• Iris

January 5, 2015 at 8:27 am

Was she supposed to be giving a critique of how Toke hosted the show or was she supposed to be giving a critique of Toke as an individual? A piece like this should come across as purely objective regardless of the writer’s personal feelings towards Toke Makinwa (and it seems to me that there is something very personal going on here. I don’t know whether it is bad belle or something deeper but it is ugly as hell)

• h

January 5, 2015 at 8:38 am

Did u just type this and vanished?
      Pls come back and tell us it’s a typo…that u actually meant *honest

• Me

January 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

Awks.

• Susan

January 5, 2015 at 1:38 pm

@ Love and other Disasters:
      Exactly!
      I mean the comments were unnecessary and quite insignificant. She was also quite mean with her words, that aside, deep down we all know what she’s saying = Truth.

• betty

January 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Did you just say if we are being honesty????? Hello. I bet this is Azuka…by their English you shall know them

8. elleven45

January 5, 2015 at 7:55 am

but this is a publicity stunt too. I believe she paid the writer to write this.

• Ann

January 5, 2015 at 8:44 am

Lol, everything is now publicity stunt.

9. Dr Bukky

January 5, 2015 at 7:56 am

U can criticize but stop disrespecting ds womans hustle with ur choice of words! She’s not d best presenter/event host but she’s trying n getting better. This is not journalism,its d venom of a bitter woman trying to bring another down! Haba Azuka. Live ur own life n let Toke n her ‘fakeness’ be,its stale news.

10. t girl!

January 5, 2015 at 8:03 am

Free my toke o !! People are bittered gan ooo …no wonder yoruba says obirin lota obirin ..even tho her performance was horrible I dont think you are meant to write stuffs like this …I wonder when women would start looking out for each other ..its 2015 people need to grow up I beg

11. smh

January 5, 2015 at 8:07 am

Azuka is still as full of bile as ever. She did this to D Banj years back and she does it regularly still. Using her columns to perpetrate hack jobs. You’re a sad, sad creature. You crave the same fame you demonise Toke for having. And you have a good 10 -15 years on her, Madam 40something. Act your age. I kuku don’t know Toke. Never met her before. My name is Yosola. Just stating the gospel.

12. Marie

January 5, 2015 at 8:11 am

after writing this , what EXACTLY do you want Toke to do?

13. Iris

January 5, 2015 at 8:11 am

Who edits her column? She is a disgrace to womanhood, journalism, English Grammar, the concept of tense agreement, Nigerians, the computer she typed this rubbish with, ThisDay…the list is interminable. I don’t like or dislike Toke Makinwa and her accent irritates me, but this piece of crap that they actually had the guts to label an article is disgusting. The venom that oozes from it is ridiculous and the grammar could make an English teacher shed tears of blood from both eyes and ears. From the very first sentence to the last there was nothing objective about the negative comments that spewed forth. So she knows what it is like to be booed at on stage and then she goes in on another individual with cheap attacks that have almost nothing to do with an actual objective critique of how well the host performed. And what was the point in mentioning her own designer? The editor should be fired. I’ll just stop here. I can’t deal.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 6, 2015 at 9:59 am

Na lie oh. She’s not a disgrace to ThisDay, who hired her and are apparently happy to allow such illiteracy adorn their broadsheets on a regular basis. The computer she typed this on should probably just short circuit itself in protest at how it’s been defiled but ThisDay better have an answer to the question I’ve already asked – una no get editor?????????????????????????????

14. tosin

January 5, 2015 at 8:12 am

She wore a garment by “Kinabuti”. Lol!! Told may not be loved by her counterparts but she’s loved by Fans. And many didn’t attend the headies, its unnecessary. And why would someone say something like her “fakeness”… Well with this insult you’ve given her more attention.. You just made more people become aware.. Since when did journalism turn to this ? And that editor that permitted the publishing of this article infact isn’t fair.. This isn’t journalism. Her “fakeness?? Really??? People Are scary. She got paid and u are here hating?? Hmmmm

• Tosin

January 5, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I just want to add my vote to the fakeness column.

The write-up was gossipy, salacious, and/but
      spot-on
      about the hypnotizing fakeness of the Toke girl.

Hugs.

15. Harriet

January 5, 2015 at 8:12 am

Poorly written, a lot of grammatical errors (in the age of auto correct too) and she’s a journalist? A very cheap shot by the way, I could barely read the entire article on bella naija, talk-less of seeking the entire article elsewhere (very boring). Did anyone notice how she put herself in that article obviously begging for some attention while using Toke as a tool for 15 minutes of fame (Toke is obviously her celebrity). Next time she wants to ‘critic’ a celebrity, I hope she has solid reasons other than finding an outfit ugly or using meaningless words like ‘fake-ness.’ Air head

16. Ronkus

January 5, 2015 at 8:12 am

This article is so unprofessional and filled with venom. The writer is obviously carrying out a personal vendetta against toke.
    It’s such a shame that this day even published this.

17. iseemaths

January 5, 2015 at 8:13 am

Oooh my…. this had jealousy and vile written over it. You wanna be her so bad. I am not a Toke fan but i agree that the babe is a hustler jor. So let her hustle in peace and “stop hating from outside the club when you can’t even get in.” (*in my Chris Brown voice)

“please someone help me i cant sleep been hearing voices in my apartment. been researching spirits occupying an empty apartment”. I traveled to Houston for 2 weeks.

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 9:54 am

You are apparently very serious about this problem…If you have any family around get them to stay with you a few days.. call in a plumber to check the piping, call in an architect/structural engineer (if you can afford it to check the apartment)…if the noise continues after this, get a priest, pastor, reverend or Imam depending on you religion to come and pray and sanctify your apartment…If you still hear voices, sub-let or sub-lease the place and MOVE OUT!!!!

• iseemaths

January 5, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Thank you i will complain at the leasing office. I am like a walking zombie couldn’t sleep a wink

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 3:01 am

u don confuse…o
      ur on Toke’s side na?

18. Richmond

January 5, 2015 at 8:15 am

Wow! This “journalist” is so bitter I can taste her all the way from South Africa. Zero journalistic skills were used in this piece. What a shame! And Toke does have fans. How else do you explain the thousands of people subscribed to her weekly vlog? In 2015, just do you and stop being bitter. Tjo!

19. sally

January 5, 2015 at 8:17 am

The writer is obviously a very bitter person!!! with very dark mind! eaten up with jealousy and hatred! i pray for God’s intervention on your soul.

20. sally

January 5, 2015 at 8:22 am

Jealousy is a very dangerous thing!

21. miss j

January 5, 2015 at 8:24 am

She’s obviously not a happy person to have written this.. woman!!!!! Go find some happiness and leave others alone with your hateful words

22. The girl who flies planes

January 5, 2015 at 8:24 am

Maybe i should send Ruth Osime to you too.

23. Ada

January 5, 2015 at 8:25 am

Nawaoo

24. halyma

January 5, 2015 at 8:26 am

Dear Azuka Ogujiuba,
    Why does this quote (how do u recognise d chicken: “he is d one who resents d eagle” by Dr. Mike Murdock) keep flooding my mind as I read ur write up? pls d year is too young for all these negativity.

BN, if this is a stunt to get us to buy their newspaper that did not sell….say no more (I no buy)

25. laide

January 5, 2015 at 8:27 am

At least now we can google you…didn’t know about your existence before now.

26. Nkechi

January 5, 2015 at 8:27 am

I am not exactly Toke’s fan, I don’t hate her either, just don’t go out of my way to look for what shes up to. But I think this is too much Azuka. Maybe a simple phonecall to Toke to tell her how best to act when next she hosts a show or how best to dress will be more appreciated. Dissing her on this platform is not cool at all. Lets not start the new year with the intention to destroys anothers career.

27. MOSIWOMEKA

January 5, 2015 at 8:37 am

Whoever wrote this column is obviously a hater. I understand the fact that people dislike Toke because hate is such a strong word especially for someone you don’t even know. But the truth is that she is being relevant and the fact you have to write a whole piece about her even makes her more relevant because if she wasn’t doing something, you won’t have anything to write. There’s nothing wrong with criticism but outright hate??? Its not fair. And to think that you are also a woman. C’mon????
    Toke should just be herself and do what makes her happy because no matter what she does, people like this journalist will always hate.
    Toke its high time you started thinking about starting family. The lime light will still fade o! God will direct you, Amen.
    Madam Journalist, who wants to know what you are wearing??? Better respect yourself there o.
    MOSI TASH.

• Omneke

February 15, 2015 at 3:57 pm

You are being hypocritical. What is your business regarding her decision as to “starting a family,” whatever that means? Does she have to follow your accepted timeline to make decisions concerning “her” life? How do you know what decisions about “her” personal life she has made? You don’t know or care for her, you are not in her circle of friends or family- what right have you to dish advice on her personal life? Hypocrite! You are worse than the miserable Azuka, because you actually think you are any different.

28. Steve

January 5, 2015 at 8:38 am

Before everyone goes after Azuka, can we attest read the article and get the message? You barely criticize our so called celebs and are quick to hate anyone that says it like it is… That’s why the celebs are everywhere with their fake accents and horrible performances.

• Idomagirl

January 5, 2015 at 8:50 am

There are different kinds of criticism. This is just being nasty. Whatever point she had has been drowned by all the bile dripping from her words.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 6, 2015 at 10:19 am

“Dripping”, ke? Azuka carefully coated each word she typed with bile, stuck it in the oven, made sure she’d baked it to crisp perfection and then slathered what came out with any remaining excess bile she’d produced and not yet used.

And someone is saying that we should go back to chew over what she wrote again, so we can “attest” to its “message”?? Please be a fraction of a human being and try to imagine how the target of these words will receive them, regardless of how thick skinned everyone seems to think she is. Azuka meant to draw blood in the worst way.

• Mc

January 5, 2015 at 9:19 am

If your comment is anything to go by, you are the one who didn’t read the article.

• Tralala

January 5, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I agree with you Steve. The article is too critical. but then it does not translate to one being a hater. The so called haters criticised Omoni Oboli and see the proud result. She is now a pro at event outfits. Omoni is now really “killing it” with her outfits albeit in a most decent way. Tuface also is a bonafide role model…I could go on. Azuka I think you should be a bit more objective next time so it does not sound personal. Happy New Year people and no need for insults!

29. Mystique

January 5, 2015 at 8:42 am

I’m not a Toke fan but please can the hatred for this girl not continue this 2015? who is this Azuka person sef……….disgusted

30. Eileen

January 5, 2015 at 8:47 am

Pliz free toke biko.

31. Labelle

January 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

I’m no fan of Toke, I don’t personally like her fakeness but it’s not hurting my bank account and there’s a thing or two to learn about her agressiveness. However, I don’t believe in pulling people down like this. This was just mean and hateful. She could have spoken about what she could have done to give a better performance, make the article count, not just bash the girl. Doesn’t she know she has just catapulted the girl into more fame and “celeb-status” by her apparent “hating” . Doesn’t she know that people like this love to think of themselves as the “people others love to hate” .

As a journalist if you must go this route, be constructive somehow, not just spewing bike indiscriminately. Too early in the year for this. I’m very disappointed. Women should build each other,not pull down.

32. *Real* Nice Anon

January 5, 2015 at 8:52 am

Meow!

33. Respect

January 5, 2015 at 9:02 am

Nawa, this Azaku babe!. I just went in to Google her and see what she is about.
    Firstly, she is one to criticize Toke’s sense of style, hers leaves a lot to be desired. She is not any good looking either for consolation. Looks desperate for the lime light and fame she is murdering Toke for!. She is actually way older looking to be as style columnist and such a hater at that. Goodness, the fact that she took it upon herself to dedicate the whole column on Toke shows that she has more time on her hands to be doing something useful.
    Just saying.

34. Dleona

January 5, 2015 at 9:17 am

I do agree with Nikky. I am a fan of Toke, I respect her, there might too much fakeness going on Bt I have decided to be inspired by her. This is a new year women, pls can we not be our own enemies.

35. Annie

January 5, 2015 at 9:31 am

like seriously?all i see here is jealousy…as for me ooo,am a big fan of TOKE MAKINWA AYINDA and i love her so much…so this so called woman should go f**k herself

36. lol

January 5, 2015 at 9:33 am

Osan wewe oshi.

37. aisha

January 5, 2015 at 9:40 am

I’ve learned that Toke is unstoppable. She seems to thrive on the negative energy somehow. The hate is like fire to her hot-air balloon. I gotta learn how she does it.

• Red

January 8, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I think she gets her inspiration from KimK…negativity becomes the spring board on which they fly

38. precious

January 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

Azuka Ogujiuba…..Azuka ……….Azuka…………Azuka how many time did i call you o! you should get a life o.we are not even Nigerians but we are here and we love Toke !We know Toke …..stop hating now.You are fugly,not sprused up,yo hair and makeup now…a messssss all the time.Went and googled you,i failed to see any nice pic of yours,you look older.Your new years resolution should be how to dress nicer and bath to look younger o!

• engee

January 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm

That Gal is old, with a weird dress sense and a horrible phySique. At most she’d be Toke’s housekeeper. Yawn………

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 6, 2015 at 10:28 am

But you’ve also now stooped to the same level as the journalist, na… The personal attacks are what we’re decrying here and you’ve just done the very same thing.

39. Ibukun

January 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

This article is so painful & disheartening to read. Azuka you’re obviously jealous of Toke. May God grant you some joy in your non existence life.

40. concerned

January 5, 2015 at 9:49 am

We all know who Toke Makinwa is: one of the most powerful media personalities in nigeria and definitely a style icon. Now the question is, who the hell is this Azuka or whatever her name is? Jealousy is a very ugly thing, my girl. Its 2015, its a new year so stop being such an ugly and bitter person. Toke might be a little ‘extra’ sometimes, but the woman works very hard and God always blesses hard work. I suggest you do the same and stop hating on Toke’s success #Godbless

41. Anon

January 5, 2015 at 9:50 am

Azuka can talk? Azuka can criticise someone? This pseudo journalist who is still in employment for services paid to her boss. By the way, she cannot construct proper written sentences nor does she speak fluently. It is well known someone writes for her albeit badly. Poor, Toke. Azuka who paid you to bring Toke down? You are well known for that. It truly takes a wannabe like you to know another wannabe.

42. Nahum

January 5, 2015 at 9:55 am

Azuka….why would you just attack Toke like that for no reason? Where is the sisterhood? Toke is doing her thing and making her money…whether you think she is fake or not, that’s your personal opinion. But why trash her in your newspaper column? You are a very bitter soul and I pray you find Jesus cause you need Him. Leave Toke alone abeg!

43. Sonia

January 5, 2015 at 9:57 am

The only part that didnt make sense to me in that article is “To read up the rest of her article check out ThisDay newspaper’s Saturday (03 January 2015) edition.” Like where the heck am i supposed to get Saturday’s paper on Monday?

• Blessmyheart

January 5, 2015 at 2:37 pm

thisdaylive.com/articles/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-2014-headies-award/198291/

44. Chichi

January 5, 2015 at 9:59 am

So much bile and hate in one article, not to talk of the grammatical errors. I have a headache already. Madam writer please get some love and happiness, its never this serious.

45. Sonia

January 5, 2015 at 10:01 am

Oh and the entire article doesn’t center on Toke alone…BellaNaija just cropped the rest out and used the one written about Toke which i feel is weird seeing that Toke is a ‘friend of the family’. But hey what do i know? The rest of the article is on the Thisday website and it actually is a general review on The Headies event.

• Hian!

January 5, 2015 at 10:18 am

All publicity is good, negative +positive, publicity is publicity. We’re talking about her, so, mission accomplished

46. Don Smiley

January 5, 2015 at 10:06 am

Dear Azuka,

Good points you raised on Toke. I think she is a blowhard. Tries way too hard. Every woman of class should strive without showing it. The ideal is to become the embodiment of ‘effortless grace’.

Having said this, I found your piece to be an inch too personal. In fairness, I will give you the benefit of doubt. Maybe you did not mean it to be malicious. Yet, it came across this way. Maliciousness is another name for pettiness, and I know for a fact that you do not want to be judged as either.

Considering your missile launches at Toke, I daresay that your dressing at this December 2012 event is an eye opener. http://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2012-Mode-Men-of-the-Year-Awards-December-2012-BellaNaija046.jpg .

The moral of the story? Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 10:33 am

ROTFLMAO!!!! TOUCHE!!!!! EPIC!!!

January 10, 2015 at 2:49 am

u keep saying rotflmao. dont tell me who u r really supporting….biko

• Dr. N

January 5, 2015 at 10:50 am

I clicked on d link n regretted it. Warning. Don’t click!

• Asgrl

January 5, 2015 at 6:10 pm

At least she should have greased her legs! Coming out looking like Ashy Larry! Damnit!

47. Window

January 5, 2015 at 10:10 am

Abeg wetin be the scores for yesterday’s Premier League matches?

48. soso

January 5, 2015 at 10:26 am

AUNTY Azuka is at it again(yes I emphasized the aunty to remind you that you are too old for this rubbish!) . I am not surprised about this write-up because this appears to be your modus operandi to become famous. This is the second time I am reading about you and the first was when aunty Onyeka called you out for bashing a celeb. Anyway I respect your hustle, getting your 15 minutes of fame by bashing others. No one is saying you can’t criticize a celeb, but the problem is that this is in no way constructive and you sound like you are spewing out personal beef. You even deviated from the matter at hand (the headies) and started talking about social media and for you to have so much knowledge about her social media presence it means you have been secretly stalking her page. I know your kind, the type that stalks people from afar and boils with jealousy. As for the fashion, YOU ARE IN ABSOLUTELY NO POSITION TO GIVE FASHION TIPS because you always look a hot mess yourself (as evident from your pictures on google). Relax jare I know she is living the life of your dreams and your are pained but it is not that serious. Yes I am a Toke fan

49. Nurumba

January 5, 2015 at 10:30 am

Women! They’re a peculiar creature. Nobody talked about what basket mouth wore. I didn’t even noticed Toke’s fakeness . That Azuka babe cannot enter heaven oo. Ah Ahn kilode!

50. Anonymous

January 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

Toke, how did you manage to tie-down gbagaun gbagaun head?

51. ope gentle

January 5, 2015 at 10:47 am

Azuka, can you learn some proffessionalism in your practise? would you submit yourself to help just so that you can understand the meaning of self esteem and self love? would you consider going to confession? would you love to lead a happy life for the sake of your own self and others around you?would you stop reeking of hate and disdain?????? i sympathise with you Azuka, i really do.

52. soso

January 5, 2015 at 11:05 am

where is my comment BN??

53. shool

January 5, 2015 at 11:32 am

I beleive this is a publicity stunt!!
    Toke pls we need good news of you abeg
    see d way tiwa savage gave us good nnews!,
    even jenifer of polo gave us good news
    let start the yr in a good way.
    And if this is not for publicity then Azuka u shld ve critize in a better way!!!!
    Am not a toke fan either
    And BN! Una get liver post this kind thing .i thougth you ppl are too classy for a particular gist not even toke that pay u ppl so much to be featured here,that makes we conclude na publicity stunt!!
    Game on.
    the same way wizkid did with one yeye girl claiming rubbish and the only thing he cld say is she likes very well,all na wash wash.no be today

• Omneke

February 15, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Do you have any evidence to buttress your allegation that Toke pays to be featured on Bellanaija? Enlighten us with the facts you have.

54. mama Dami

January 5, 2015 at 11:33 am

gosh..too much hatred! toke dnt mind dem. dem wan b lyk u ni

55. Naomi

January 5, 2015 at 11:38 am

I am terribly disappointed in Azuka who I used to have a lot of respect for. For one thing the grammatical errors, and the colloquial nature of this excerpt is shocking! What did she do type a note on her blackberry and post it? And has she no editor? Secondly, what exactly is the point of the tirade against Toke? She failed to show constructively how Toke failed that night and just rambled on about how she (Toke) is attention-seeking.
    I have never liked Toke, I do not think I ever will, but by default I gravitate towards the underdog. And while there might be a few things to be said about people who force themselves into the limelight, I think there is a lot to be said for a person who ‘continues dancing even when people are booing’.
    Azuka needs to’ upp’ her game. This is 2015.

56. demilade

January 5, 2015 at 11:38 am

Reading through all the comments mehn is work o just had to skip. i decided to check who this azuka babe is chai!!! that pot belle, the legs haba na why do this ? please the link posted of her pic is that really the azuka?? beht why?? why do this to yourself na. if toke and yourself are put side by side with the worst of clothes i’m sure you self u know the answer na. soo behave ehn ! one advice leave other people and focus on urself u’ve got alot to work on Bazuka.

57. adelegirl

January 5, 2015 at 11:43 am

Scarce have I read a less-professional article. This entire thing read like a personal vendetta, a personal attack on Toke and I really don’t care much or less for Toke anyway. As far as I am concerned she is just another regular Jane trying to eke out a living in the competitive world of entertainment so I have no personal bias for or against her. I am just really surprised that a high profile entertainment and lifestyle journalist like Azuka Oguijuba really wrote this bile-infused piece. I am really really shocked…

58. jay

January 5, 2015 at 11:48 am

AZUKA I HAVE ONE ADVICE FOR YOU, GET A LIFE! I AM NOT PARTICULARLY CRAZY ABOUT TOKE BUT GOD, YOU ARE SOOOO MEAN.WHO TOOK YOUR COOKIE?

59. Bee

January 5, 2015 at 11:57 am

Dear Azuka, this is completely wrong, unkind-bordering-on-evil and totally unnecessary.

60. benny

January 5, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Azuka if this ain’t witchcraft, I don’t know what is

61. Nneka

January 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm

*sips cold coffee with no sugar*dis is thunder by fire choii

January 5, 2015 at 7:24 pm

well sip palm wine with your bowler hat u never know when the igwe is speaking

January 5, 2015 at 7:45 pm

you deleted my common,bn, because im from the south west? i said let her sip palm wine from a bowler hat and speak alu abomination when the igwe speaks
      dork

62. TeeTer

January 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Seriously Azuka, your write up reeks of very strong and unpleasant beef. Not at all objective in any way. Guess you did Toke a favour by revealing yourself and letting her know who one of her enemies are. Azuka, hating people will get you nowhere. It will only make the ‘hated’ more successful, while you keep growing old and wrinkly. I can bet my head you are not married, nor do you come from a happy home or have a lot of friends. It’s a new year. Please let go of all the bitterness. Jesus loves you.

63. engee

January 5, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Zuky! This your hatefulness nor be today matter. Besides your prose being bad, a good journalist should know not to hammer over and over on a non-issue. Gurl, you just exposed your beef plus lack-of-skill. You it was who took swipes at toni payne, and even Madam Onyeka Onwenu a couple years back. Who sabi wetin dem refuse you wey make you spit venom like that? Even daring to ask Madam Onyeka, “who gave you my number?”. He-heeeeee! I laugh! Despite all that, 9ice didn’t even notice you. Now your sorrowful jealous heart has picked toke. I understand your need to remain relevant, but gosh that was a bad attempt. No, they will not “come and settle” you…….No, her hubby will not leave her for you……….and No, your substandard write-up will not touch her career (whatever she does for a living). My paddy for jungle! You know I understand your problem. These boys are too young for you biko, go find your level Aunty. I know you kinda feel like you’re sinking and no-one remembers you. Its not totally true okay, so chill. You’re still not too old to get a life, or even……..get married? Even if you’re CHIEF’s SECOND-WIFE, all na “wife”.

64. Chi!

January 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm

65. AW

January 5, 2015 at 12:37 pm

@Ada Nnewi, you should have warned us now! I screamed Blood of Jesus when I saw the picture. Wow! A woman that looks like that should not criticise anyone’s appearance at all at all! She ain’t got the tools to speak from a place of authority.

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 3:46 pm

ROTFLMAO!

66. Ibukun

January 5, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I love Toke Makinwa & I will always love her. As for you Azuka, go hug transformer. Toke will continually rise in Jesus name, Amen.

67. keechi

January 5, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Idk this Azuka lady and this is the first impression I have of her… Just ridiculous! So much hatred spewing through your words. Instead of hating, hustle twice as hard and ask God to bless your hustle. God don’t like ugly and he sure as heck don’t like hateful pple. I’m personally appalled at thisday for even publishing this crap in their papers.

68. Eliza

January 5, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Lmaaaooo! This article is EVERYTHING!! Other than the womans personal hate/dislike towards Toke, and mentioning of the clothes and wigs. We cannot lie, every thing else she said was the TRUTH! Toke’s fake from head to toe, she has a fake ass accent, and she tries WAY TOO HARD to be seen or to stay relevant! As the woman said, she wants that celebrity lifestyle, which there’s nothing wrong with. But in my opinion, when you’re trying too hard to be noticed, and you have a “faking it until you make it” attitude towards society/industry then why wouldn’t articles like this be written?!

Toke’s boring and tries WAY too hard! Especially in her vlogs! (Thank God I don’t live in Nigeria to hear her on the radio!!) All she has is a pretty face, but we can see past all of that now. Just be YOU Toke, and everything will fall into place, rather than you forcing yourself onto everyone. As if everyone must like you…..abeggggg

• Ada Nnewi

January 5, 2015 at 3:48 pm

It is well with you ohh….For the record everything is falling into place for Toke already and Yes! I am Toke’s voltron 😀

• Viv

January 5, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Madam Eliza do you know Toke personally? Also how do you know she is ‘fake’ and hasn’t always been the way she currently is? Especially since you do not have a before and after to enable a comparison. Life is A personal race. No one made you or others’ highly flawed definition of ‘fake’ the yardstick. Live and let live!

• Eliza

January 6, 2015 at 3:09 pm

but who said I don’t know Toke personally, or that I’ve never met her?
      also, I don’t think u need to know someone personally these days in order to be a good judge of character, when you see someones work on TV/radio/online from the past and now you see it again in the present – that speaks for itself. One can clearly tell the difference between then and now, including if they have a fake accent.

January 5, 2015 at 8:16 pm

im telling @Toyosi, surprise could it be or not? an igbo in disguise…. anyway azuka does not need your additional approval. you are making a fool out of yourself. u cant even write the the introductory headings of an article. it might be everything, but have you ever considered everything with arousal of stupidity. why dont you give an account of what u think of toke instead of feasting on one lazy and apologetic (soon) assertion good night for now

• adelegirl

January 6, 2015 at 10:14 am

I hear you. I think Toke is kinda like marmite to some people and she tends to grate on people’s nerves just by being herself but please Toke trying too hard on her vlogs? Those vlogs have gotten her jobs and endorsements and even birthed copycat people starting vlogs of their own, seeing the popularity they garnered, boosted of course by sites like BN, LIB, even SDK constantly putting up her vlogs.

I just saw a headline on LIB where someone wrote a whole lengthy article on Toke and what popped in my head is “A han, so early in the year and Toke is already the subject of such lengthy articles, she is getting a lot of attention very early on. This girl is really going to go places this 2015 – this is her year to shine it seems” So get ready for her to be even more in our faces this year. I can only guess that she must be a praying strong woman – cos a lesser person who has received half of the bile thrown this girl’s way would have crumbled tay tay.

Let’s try to rejoice with people who are doing well- to the best of my knowledge, she has not broken any laws or committed grievous sins to be where she is – she seems happily married now, after being in a committed relationship for donkey years, so one can I suppose rule out waywardness or as they say “sleeping her way to the top” – as that seems to be the tag most people give women generally doing well especially in the entertainment industry.

You know, the more people talk about Toke and pull her down, the more I want to cheer for her and become her stan even though I really previously couldn’t be bothered about her before.

69. Nkiru Ogbuli

January 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Speechless!

• toyosi

January 5, 2015 at 7:41 pm

speechful

70. Blessmyheart

January 5, 2015 at 2:52 pm

I read the whole article here thisdaylive.com/articles/the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-2014-headies-award/198291/. The tone, grammar and overall content of the article lacks journalistic depth in my opinion. That article should be on a personal blog or Facebook page and not on a renowned newspaper. I can actually imagine a better journalist writing same article with the same criticisms and not sounding this bitter. She really needs to work on herself.

71. eee

January 5, 2015 at 3:02 pm

This Azuka that looks like burnt plantain??

72. Let'sStart2015well

January 5, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I don’t know Toke from a ham sandwich. HOWEVER, I do know a very close friend who is a trained British journalist that worked at ThisDay for a year, and she had nothing good to say about Azuka’s journalistic skills, professionalism, or her character. Azuka just continues to show her a$$, and I’m glad no one is being fooled by her Toke hate piece cloaked under ‘coverage of the Headies’ yeah right! We see you Azuka.

73. Metrogypsie

January 5, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Who is Azuka? And BellaNaija why reduce your brand to such an article?

Toke Makinwa has worked to get herself where she is all by herself. Why such venom? Gosh. Women, may we learn to uplift each other or at least ignore people you don’t like? Did Toke hurt you? Why so negative? Did she hurt anyone trying to amass what she has now?

This article is so disgustng.

74. Person

January 5, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I like Toke. She has an AWESOME career, is getting PAID and living her life like is golden. She has never ‘snatched’ my boyfriend (lol ;)), and most importantly, she is in her lane and ‘facing front’. Ki wa ni temi o?! Hian! Eyin aye, can Toke breathe?

Aunty Azuka, you haf too old for this nonsense o!

75. keziah

January 5, 2015 at 4:00 pm

LOl, the journalist obviously doesn’t like Toke, the article reads more like a personal jibe at her. If this is the journalist attempt at reviewing Toke’s performance as a host, she failed miserably. She could have criticised her constructively on her performance, but instead choose to be an asshole about it.

76. tish

January 5, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I’ll never understand how one can be so mean to another that hasn’t personally hurt one before. Except Azuka has had prior personal issues with Toke, I can’t even fathom how she would have allowed this go to print. If you go about trying to mar someone’s image, then you are wicked!
    How many of you knew Toke before she came into the limelight? I need to ask because I don’t get what you people mean by fake? Was she speaking differently before? Or any one that speaks with a foreign accent is automatically fake? 90% of what exactly is true? More often than not. Toke dresses very well. This lady has a job for pete’s sakes, she works! If you don’t like her personality, then fine, but she is not just some random person that you see her face on social media for nothing. She likes to party, yes, and so what? Has anyone ever thrown her out of a party uninvited?
    It’s sickening when people just decide to pick on another for no visible reason. It’s the hate towards Toke, that made me take a closer look at her. I never even knew who she was. I grew to admire her person, amidst all the hate, she still forges ahead. Azuka and the likes may just have to choke on their bile, cos you’ll be seeing her in your faces for a long time to come.

77. GLB

January 5, 2015 at 4:14 pm

I am not a fan and feel Toke’s performance at MBGN few years ago wasn’t very good but I admire her courage and tenacity and pray she succeeds and actualizes her dreams.
    The writeup on the other hand is just too poor and vindictive; I cant believe an editor gave the go ahead to have it printed. Why do people think they can soar by pulling others down? Is the bounty from His table not sufficient for all? Will Him blessing Toke mean you wont get that which you’ve been praying for/desire? Azuka please stop transferring aggression and your frustration to others. Take another look at your own attire to the same event and advise ya sef sharp sharp!

78. mike

January 5, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Honestly, I didn’t waste my precious time in reading that article but tried some comments tho’ . Well all I know is that I never knew the writer and now I know that name…to me…#MissionAccomplished for her. if u want the limelight… pick on a #celeb and paint her bad not good cos people generally don’t read success stories rather failure stories. wonder why people are so vexed?…its mass media and well it makes reading fun for me….no you see, alot of u read this cos it was so negative but I bet #Bella wouldn’t have posted it if it was so #positive. I love naija but wish we can turn this anger and grammer into the #bringbackourgirls campaign or sending our corrupt leaders out of office….#passingby

79. Ngozi

January 5, 2015 at 4:33 pm

People freaking out over nothing.. I don’t know the Azuka lady, never heard of her. yes the article is mean and hateful but I won’t loose sleep over this. Am sure toke doesn’t even care so much sef. The fact that everybody is going in on her and defending toke is increasing publicity for BOTH of them.. Everybody should chill jooor…. Oh well this year, I will try not to soak myself so much into this kind of news… Lol

80. oj

January 5, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I probably would have never heard of Toke Makinwa if not of her haters, and today is the first day I’m hearing about Azuka. I think she deliberately wrote this article hoping it would be posted on BellaNaija.
    I’m very sure that if Toke invites her to be her BFF, she’ll jump for joy.

• Ada Nnewi

January 6, 2015 at 11:44 am

Exactly! Heard of Toke first when Linda Ikeji wrote one horrible article that was targeted at making people dislike her…Watched her vlog a few times and became a voltron when she just kept moving irrespective of the constant vitriol

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 1:53 am

just laugh! see what im saying

81. Chioma

January 5, 2015 at 5:16 pm

This is exactly what this Azuka girl wants, read the article with the high level of hatred she has for toke, comment and mention her name and she will be 1% popular.. This goes to show that Azuka wants to crawl out from the cave where her hatred, grammatical blunder, unprofessional journalism practice has kept her and the only thought that came to her mind was to take an expired drug, get high and write about the one person she knows is succeeding despite her hatred for her….. Azuka pls, allow God to work in your life this 2015, who knows you might be given the opportunity to host the 2020 headies… Lol…

82. Pat

January 5, 2015 at 5:25 pm

“The audience didn’t want Toke on stage” and you mentioned u were once “booed off stage” because u couldn’t speak and was intimidated by the crowd. Toke hosted a show with confidence but you couldn’t present an award on stage for less than 1 minute. What is your point against Toke writer? Ha! LOL. You better continue chewing on your bitter cola since u enjoy it 🙂 #uncessary

83. korede

January 5, 2015 at 6:24 pm

u know what Azuka…. find somethin’ else to do. it could benefit you

84. korede

January 5, 2015 at 6:26 pm

in fact look at her pic, trying to be real…. u want to inspire us with that ur comments in she gets to u, then it is just the brink of your insecurities

85. olu

January 5, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Wow…this is such a hateful comment to make about a colleague. I doubt very much if a human being can be all around horrible as Azuka has described Toke. It is absolutely unfair to display such hatred about another person. Caution, Azuka…

86. korede

January 5, 2015 at 6:37 pm

in fact look at her pic self… trying to be real… u feel alone and girls u should know, she should had just projected that here. why inconvenience a woman that has not given snake to you? if u still find her a threat then it must be the brink of all your insecurities. get a life and a covered gown. im not interested peace out kiss

87. Ozymandias

January 5, 2015 at 6:56 pm

The only reason this Azuka person still works at Thisday is probably because she has some compromising photographs/videos of Nduka Obaigbena locked up in a safe somewhere. This definitely goes beyond shagging the boss.

88. toyosi

January 5, 2015 at 7:10 pm

well i can see why all the comments are so divided. it seems that all that is supporting Azuka are all igbos. you can tell when they say quote True talk Azuka!toke is so fake n i cant stand hearing her fake accent on her radio show! quote end. and the special eze is by Chi. Well, briefly speaking, can you put a real accent then, on a nollywood movie? no im sure it wouldnt be a hard task. why cant you people just support what you like not from what tribe they hail?

• girl

January 5, 2015 at 9:04 pm

lol too bad that a dumb yoruba person would be the one to bring tribalism into this, ada nnewi toke’s no1 fan is igbo and so am I so what are you saying?

• Ada Nnewi

January 6, 2015 at 8:20 am

Infact very Igbo sef 😀

January 10, 2015 at 1:26 am

look i said the truth… it is inferiority complex u suffer from

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 1:27 am

“dumb yoruba person” did u have stress yoruba? then what r u?

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 1:34 am

if i am bringing tribalism, why do u stress on a dumb yoruba? y cant say it without mentioning my tribe? what r u then?

• Anon

January 5, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Korede also known as Toyosi what a dumb comment about tribe? So puerile. By the way, do you have the stats to back up your senseless claim?

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 1:30 am

in this world love, no one likes to say the truth, therefore no likes to admit. i dont need sweepstakes to back it up, silly

89. Flo

January 5, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Who is Azuka? You need Jesus this year! Who starts a new year with so much hate!

90. FunmiA

January 5, 2015 at 7:40 pm

You take your time to comment about just one person. Woow is all I can say. Wow

91. Anonymous

January 5, 2015 at 8:01 pm

No one is perfect and everyone deals with one form of insecurity or the other. Azuka only succeeded in endearing me to Toke. From your narrated experience,you know it’s not easy standing before a crowd,haba,she’s not a comedienne. Why not commend her for trying at all? There’s always some good in people. Azuka,when you learn to see the good in others and appreciate them for it,believe me it will come back to,you. I’m sure you can testify to this fact as the venom you unleashed at Toke came right back at you with loads of negative extras.

January 5, 2015 at 8:41 pm

u sound like a young woman. u want to be the heroine? she was so disrespectful to her on a social media and ur trying to outweigh my argument, no dear

January 5, 2015 at 8:55 pm

by the way, i will commend this post only because ur after likes, u want to be the plush puppy of this commentary.

92. korede

January 5, 2015 at 8:35 pm

as for azuuka, she is headstrong, but guilty of insecurity. what can she truly offer? so showing some leg means that i will support my younger sister who usually writes here can say “lmao that is so true toke is not worthy of a host, azuka is uprising” Uprising to diminished downfall. as ive said and yall not loving this on your screen, she poses like she is one of those black american telling us “r u down girl” and this ya “talk to me baby”. like jlo im real, sshry attaching the rest of the fabric of the dress from that abuja designer, oh, huddaya, and surely i will hola i mean my dear join that igbo chick

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 6, 2015 at 10:44 am

Wow. After three almost back-to-back comments from you, I still don’t have the slightest clue about what message you’ve been trying to pass across in any one of them…

January 10, 2015 at 1:21 am

maybe if u dont understand what message i am sending, try changing ya name to mz socially determined stupid

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 2:03 am

dear mz socially “awkward”
      all u have to do admit where ur from. the people here who have replied me r obviously igbo. over
      regards

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 2:26 am

why lie? at the end of the day, naijas comment here everyday, evoking this sense of, shall i say “realness”. surely a comment is a personal real thought. so why am i not entitled to make mine here? ur just a fabrication. instead of saying what is right, every tribe here is commenting with some kind of “consensus”. r we like that in real life? just say whats on ur mind, and lets stop hibernating. thank u

93. jlexie

January 5, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Just realized I can actually meet the grèat love of my life from this comment section. Just so we are clear; he has to be educated (that shouldn’t be a problem for the commentators though: the lots of you seem to really understand good comprehension. …. I can learn some things from you), ambitious, enterprising and above all; God fearing. So, common…. HUMOR ME!!

January 10, 2015 at 1:24 am

so i have to throw you a bachelor degree to prove my intelligence…? u think ur smart

• toyosi

January 10, 2015 at 1:42 am

and by the way, what you need to learn is that your ambiguity is not working, hoped that worked, amused u!

94. blossom

January 5, 2015 at 10:21 pm

LOL at all the people taking this people seriously..

95. Nike

January 5, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I love toke and I admire her a lot.i am a huge fan .i don’t know u azuka.go get a life

96. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 5, 2015 at 11:28 pm

This way too below the belt and comes off as bitter as malicious. You are not a professional at all. Get a life!

hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

97. mogbo moya

January 6, 2015 at 12:18 am

I really don’t know toke and I’m not a fan but whoever this azuki girl is needs to go and wash her head in Cele water and fast 21days in mountain of fire to beg for forgiveness, she is a disturbed person and needs help, her hated will make her collapse someday.

98. BlueEyed

January 6, 2015 at 3:09 am

Critique based journalism has been striving a lot recently and I believe the Nigerian entertainment industry needs it so as to call people out on mediocrity and what standards we accept as entertainment, however, Ms Azuka misappropriated objectivity with personal vendetta in this piece. So for future reasons to avoid being labelled a “hater”, she needs to school herself on objective journalism except she is truly a hater then oh well moving on………..

99. PD Young Billionaire

January 6, 2015 at 4:34 am

Azuka looks like a pepper seller in this pic.I ll choose Toke over her a million times!

100. PD Young Billionaire

January 6, 2015 at 4:47 am

Azuka,blowing out someone’s candle will not make yours shine any brighter!Face your work and let Toke be!

101. randomyorubaboy

January 6, 2015 at 4:49 am

“Didn’t nobody tell you, no man’s ever made it higher by bringing other people down…. You tried and you could lose the ground”-

“Sometimes I wonder” (Track 13) in Bed of Stones by Asa

102. chee

January 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Azuka!!! How many times did I call u,if u had a good heart with this wowo face of yours life for beta for u,but an ugly face,protruding tummy and an ugly heart? Chai too bad,go get a life biko!

103. Geeeeee

January 6, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Azubaby…..i wu njo anya, njo omume like my mama would say…NJO ANYA, NJO OMUME.. in mummy’s voice. hehehehehehhe

January 10, 2015 at 2:35 am

simply, lol

104. Madame Solange

January 6, 2015 at 10:15 pm

This one pass me. All I can say is everyone is hustling. Make dem carry go.

105. Thatcooltivvixen

January 7, 2015 at 12:17 am

It’s just like they say it on TMZ, everything about Azuka is a struggle. Struggle vocabulary, struggle body, struggle dress sense et al. Still d vitrol she spewed towards Toke is a tad bit over the top. She should face her struggle career n leave Toks alone. The girl is a hard worker. Hate her or love her u gotta admire her tenacity. U go Toke. Aunty Azuka pick a struggle please….

106. Fums

January 7, 2015 at 6:53 am

Not a Toke fan (seems there are quite a few of us out there!) but Azuka’s hatchet job was a source of unending hilarity for me for the singular reason that it was such an obvious outpouring of bile which she tried to conceal under the guise of a balanced critique (Can I just say EPIC FAIL!). What really got me rolling was her comments about Toke’s outfits….errrrr….physician heal thyself!!!!….or better yet buy a mirror.
    It’s ok for you to adjudge Toke’s hosting duties a miss but next time try and present your case in a factual concise manner that does not reek of negative intent. If you can’t ….give up your day job.
    ‘Nuff said.

107. betty

January 7, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Bazuka….i sympathize with you, I know you don’t asked for this much, but I hope you’ve learnt some lessons by now…plus work on your bottom and bad belle….

108. Jojo

January 7, 2015 at 6:42 pm

This is quite mean. Make me wonder if it is personal. While I am not a Toke fan, I admire her particularly her determination and mugsy. she’s got a lot of spunk.
    That said, how in the world does this pass as journalism? How did this day pass this? is there and Ombus man in the house. Lots of words being used to bully and degrade another is quite distasteful and cruel

109. Louda

January 8, 2015 at 11:04 am

Hmmmmm na wa o. My own is that I keep hearing people hating on this Toke o, I dont like her and I dont hate her but then the aspect i dont like is that someone takes her time to notice all the faults of another person and publicizes it. Sister you are nothing but a devil for doing that biko. Being that it was her first time as I read here o, she is bound to make some mistakes but mehhhnnn, that elaboration was not necessary. Everyone has their awkward moments. In short i just dont know what Azuka was trying to achieve by pointing these accusing fingers. She wants to kill Toke’s career? No she cant! God has the final say. Better go n face ur own hustle n leave others to do what they know how to do. Jealousy jeloma girl!

110. barbiie bitch

January 9, 2015 at 5:06 am

Azuka or watever u call ur name u r very stupid very very stupid…..i adore toke makinwa she is perfect .i dnt understand the beef tho it is obvious u r jst jealous nd probably jobless go nd find somfin beta to do .the person giving her free cloth aint complaining it s nt her fault u r not popular or famous dat no designer is givin u free cloth.abeg take ur ugly self go sit for one corner.u sha want people to knw u by force

111. Alex

January 20, 2015 at 11:37 am

Eyya! I mean, I can understand why Azuka is so upset with herself and taking it out on poor Toke. In comparison to Toks, Azuka is an ugly skrep on the outside and she has just shown us that she’s ugly on the inside too. Granted Toke can be over the top in her ways but it’s a tough world out there. She’s hustling to make it and if her tactics are not harming anyone, who are we to judge. By your hateful comments towards Toks, you’ve only put Her in the limelight more. When one begins to get haters, it means that they are doing something right so this attack dear Azuka may just have backfired.

112. Beebe