Career

Dakore Egbuson-Akande: When I am out All Day and I Return Home I Still Have to be a Mum and a Wife

BellaNaija.com

Dakore Akande New Shoot BellaNaija 2014 07Nollywood actress Dakore Egbuson-Akande is one woman in the movie industry who has always maintained a balance of her work and her family.

In an interview with Sunday Punch, she talks extensively about how she has been able to manage her home and her career after being away from the industry for a number of years (and surviving rumours that she had quit the movie world).

She also opens up about her family and how she met her husband, Olu Akande – son of Ibadan-born billionaire, Chief Harry Akande. She refutes reports that she married for wealth or that her marriage was the reason she was absent from the movie scene.

Read excerpts from her interview below:

On coming back to the movie industry: Yes, I have been off the screen for a few years now, but I am gradually working my way back. It is not easy to be away from work and everybody knows; but when you are back to work it is still hard for everyone to know. That is partly my fault because I have not granted interviews – I am very wary of the press and my words have been taken out of context. I have been busy working on various things including working with the United Nations.

On balancing work and family: It is extremely difficult, I do not know how women make it happen but somehow we make it happen. I just take it one day at a time and try not to be too stressed. I learnt to plan ahead and that is the only way. I have a great support network in my nanny, mum and my husband because sometimes when I am not present with the kids, I have to make sure there is someone competent to do that. It is tough because when i am out all day and i return home i still have to be a mum and a wife. I am thankful that there is more meaning to my life as opposed to when I was single and in the movies.

On meeting her husband: We met in Lagos. I just relocated from London and he just returned from Chicago. We got talking because he wanted me to present a television show. I did not get the job but I did get the dude. It was work-related but we found out we connected. We were friends for a while before we started dating. Then, I was not out for a date. I liked him for his confidence and he gave me my space too. He was a real gentleman and well-spoken. When it was time for the engagement, I knew it would happen, but I did not know when. I knew what it was like to make a mistake because my parents were not together and I needed to be sure. I was career driven but not driven about marriage.

On the proposal: The proposal was really nice. He got down on his knees and proposed and people were emotional. Shortly after that we got married. We had Ayomide, our first daughter who is now three, and Dasola who is 10 months old now.

On being married and a celebrity: Celebrity marriages are not different. The only reason is that people are looking at you. The challenges are the same but are amplified in celebrity marriages. That puts a lot of pressure on the union. The first thing is to marry your friend. You have to marry for the right reason. I married for love; someone I am totally in awe of and respect. It is difficult, but when you have God, there is a balance that cones with it. It is fun and challenging. It is easy to get frustrated but people need to remember their vows.

To read her full interview check out Sunday Punch!

1. bayissi

January 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

That is the tale of every housewife, whatever their responsibilities outside, they still have to be mums and wife when they enter the household. Women are naturally good at multitasking, hands up to all of them for all the sacrifice they have to endure for the benefit of society. Best [email protected]

• Tosin

January 4, 2015 at 2:06 pm

me I’m not naturally good o.
      If I was married to omo baba olowo, outsourcing all the way.
      Even if not married to obo, still outsourcing.
      I ain’t even going to lie like I’m some gung-ho superwoman.

• Bolanle

January 5, 2015 at 6:58 am

Korean drama addict or nah?

• Bolanle

January 5, 2015 at 7:00 am

sorry wrong post

• Iseemaths

January 4, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Where are all the fine naija men. Cos the ones here in my city in the US are mostly baby daddies, the doctors and engineers think they are God sent to woment, people still in fake marrieges for paper or men married in naija and acting single here…. I need to come back to naija and do a meet and greet. Lmao… Im on it. My blog starts after i graduate this year.

2. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

January 4, 2015 at 11:47 am

GIRL, I FEEL YOU. KO EASY RARA….

3. @edDREAMZ

January 4, 2015 at 11:52 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    “””It was work-related but we found out we connected.””” and she said she married for love, abeg who dey marry for love again for naija when hardship dey use person play football. This babe can lie i swear but i wish them all the best…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• YAA

January 4, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Why do we let envy get the better of us! They married for love that’s what she has said let them be!

• Yayi Boni

January 4, 2015 at 7:57 pm

You are a low budget, low class woman… what is money?? you must be desperate not to marry for love… money is not everything dearest!!! money goes and comes.. but, the bond of love is forever… You must come from a poor low budget family. because a woman of class and high standard does not talk like that. Take a walk… puffffffff!

• concerned

February 3, 2015 at 10:47 am

What is your own? Not everyone is greedy and materialistic if you are. Just have a seat, will you?

4. bruno

January 4, 2015 at 12:51 pm

she sounds realistic and in control of her life.best wishes. (ur husband needs a stylist asap.)

5. Oma Oma

January 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I. Loveeeee her!!!

6. pacey

January 4, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Wish u all d best dakore, more grease to your elbows jare, women can multitask more than andriod.

7. Motunrayo

January 4, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Dakore is just on another level…she’s one rare being in the industry…much respect and love for the babe no be today

8. Wifey

January 5, 2015 at 5:59 am

If you have help (e.g. nanny and an understanding husband) you can balance work and family. Otherwise something will give, and more than likely it’s the womans health. I know many many many women who have died trying to do it all. Super mom complex. I’m not hating.. I’m just saying. There are some days I feel so tired. I tell the husband get your own food before you come home. And I tell the kids.. find your own food. peanut butter jelly, garri, whatever…

9. hotlanta

January 5, 2015 at 6:48 am

Of course money brings respect, if he was just a regular worker I wonder if the awe will still be

10. MOSIWOMEKA

January 5, 2015 at 9:48 am

Whether she married for love or money, time will tell. She should better just sit down and concentrate on her work and home at d same time with her family being d most important.
    How won’t she click with someone that has that much money? Why is Egbuson still in her name? Well different strokes for different folks sha.
    Jalade-Ekeinde, Johnson-Okojie, Egbuson-Akande, Tiwa and Toke did not even change name. What type of dry brand are they maintaining? Its doesn’t just feel right for me.
    Annie that changed name, did her head cut off? I know people will say there’s no big deal, but there is. Don’t ask me what d big deal is.
    Mosi Tash

@Mosi_Tash_Jazzy

• Anon

January 5, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Anytime I see Annie’s name listed, it’s also hyphenated.

Dakore got there and found all the noise about money was just hyped up. Oops!

11. oy

February 3, 2015 at 10:52 am

God bless you home jere Dakore