Relationships

Niyola Reveals She Was Molested as a Young Girl

BellaNaija.com

Niyola on BellaNaija - February 2014 - BelllaNaija 01Sexual abuse is a terrible thing for anyone to go through but it helps when people speak up about it as it’s the first step to getting healed.

A few months ago Lola Okoye revealed that she had been abused when she was younger and now EME artist, Niyola, has revealed that she also went through sexual abuse when she was younger.

She disclosed this in an interview with Pearl for SoundCity Divas. She also opened up about other personal experiences.

Watch her talk about it below.

1. Deedara

January 21, 2015 at 12:40 pm

The interviewer needs to work on her skills. Kept saying ‘it’s so crazy’ and ‘it’s such a crazy thing’ over and over. Niyola was way more articulate.

2. Deedara

January 21, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Well done to Niyola for speaking so openly about a very sensitive topic. So good to see from a young female artiste. I hope society is changing, the silence has really gone on too long.

3. jilo

January 21, 2015 at 1:40 pm

the lady interviewing did not put on the right outfit. tacky much! Niyola speaks really well and can express her self . sad story. Females speak up . interesting topic.

4. Tunmi

January 21, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I feel that omawumi’s If I Ask…Na Who I Go Ask video would have been suited for this topic, same as Ayo’s It’s Supposed to be Love. Also rape and sexual harassment is a serious topic not something that should be treated as a laughing matter. Niyola, I love you even more with this. The presented should have done more research on this and articulated herself better. We definitely need a panel on rape and sexual assault and I nominate Niyola, Lola Omotayo, Stella Damasus, and equally learned and articulate men.

5. jojo

January 21, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Perversion in society continues when people sweep things under the carpet. and pretend nothing happened. Let’s start bringing these perverts to book to stop this or we will end up like many closed communities where this evil is rife ….

6. Didwewatchthesameinterview??

January 21, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Man, thank God I never take other people’s view to form an opinion. Reading through the comments I almost fell into thinking the interviewer was really bad but thank God I watched the video, Its actually the other way around, Niyola great girl but not quite as collected in her thoughts, expression and delivery as previous commentators indicated. Not saying the interviewer was 100% stellar but she wasn’t bad. She interjected at the right time and oddly enough Niyola was the one that kept saying “its like, I’m like, its crazy.”

• tunmi

January 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Niyola is the one on the left oh, the presented is the one in the pink nightgown abi na dress

7. toollz

January 22, 2015 at 2:26 am

No shade but Pearl irks me sometimes, why would she just cut Niyola off like that and say she was over the top? That’s just rude; I understand it’s a new show and they don’t want it to be “too serious” (which doesn’t make sense by the way) but you can’t just treat such a sensitive topic like it’s a random thing. Pearl, please go learn how to express yourself better and find out how to conduct an interview, it’ll do you a lot of good in future 😉

8. Someone Naughty

February 12, 2015 at 11:39 pm

This presenter sha! Knowing this is a sensitive topic, she should have picked her words carefully. She fails to tie in the music selection with the mood of the conversation. “let’s listen to subtle music because even your boyfriend can rape you” huh?!