Career

CEO of Flying Doctors Ola Orekunrin Gives Poignant TEDx Talk – ‘Womenomics’

Last month, the CEO of Flying Doctors, Ola Orekunrin gave a talk at the TEDxBerlinSalon session about the strength of women in business. She talks about the effect of name calling and how it should drive women to strive for higher.

She advocates for a world of fairness, a world with less abuse, a world creative world and a more innovative world!

Watch the very inspiring talk here:

Photo Credit: TED blog

1. belle

February 4, 2015 at 10:39 pm

I haven’t watched the video.. but did she say “a world with less rape”, or a world with NO rape?

2. Nia

February 4, 2015 at 11:42 pm

This is amazing~ More positive news like this!

3. NNENNE

February 5, 2015 at 12:07 am

You hit the nail on the head.
    You could not have said it better, sister.
    You are blessed not cursed!

4. tanonymous0007

February 5, 2015 at 2:37 am

She is soooo my girl crush….Smart, Cute….business savvy…and from the way she speaks she appears very kind. All the best Dr. Ola…Keep making us proud…and thank you sooo much for the lives you are saving on the deadly dangerous road of west africa…

• Tosin

February 5, 2015 at 6:44 am

Nothing as hot as kindness.
      Love kindness in a man or woman or anybody.

5. name

February 5, 2015 at 6:07 am

God bless your heart!

6. Tosin

February 5, 2015 at 7:39 am

Haaa, I almost didn’t watch this, fearing that 17mins would clear my internet plan.

WATCH THIS.

Share it with your mother, father, sisters, ogas, students, children, societies, everybody.

7. Tosin

February 5, 2015 at 8:06 am

May I add some comments:
    I always introduce Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as Minister of Finance AND COORDINATING MINISTER FOR THE ECONOMY. She has earned it ngwanu. It is not easy. In this nation of illiteracy, she has all that literacy. In this nation of book without application she has applied all around the world. I never drop the coordinating minister title. It is her title. I can even drop the “Doctor”… MIT Sloan School. Bring your own kpali make we see.

I am not cursed, I am unmarried. If my life is a curse, mennn, mumu curser because I love my life. I’m watching a video, freely commenting on it etc – who could ask for anything more? I am perfectly happy. How can I be cursed for not having something I don’t want? But I see it, sha, a lot of worry in the land. What could be going on? Why is she not married by now? Maybe she is ‘prouding’? Maybe she is a gay haa olorun maje. Maybe it’s from the village. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t do her hair well. Anyhow sha this year, not next year…

I worry about people who worry about being called ashewo, sluts, etc.
    Come on now.
    If you’ve ever been in competition e.g. you want to enter politics now, those are some of the quick simple insults your competition will throw your way so they can get the banana. Ask your brother, that’s just how some people hustle. So because they called you ashewo you now left your ambition?
    Even now, on another BN thread, a commenter has threatened to expose the slutty antics of an amazing female entertainer. What an idiot. I hope she exposes even. What – she had a shag? Twenty shags? She kissed? She had a baby? What, sexually, could a person do that would make them a bad person? Rape bad. Fuck no bad. Unless you have a code of conduct that says you shouldn’t hook up which is of course wonderful. I respect monogamous people. I respect married people. I respect celibate people. I respect gay people. I respect parents. I respect strippers. That’s you. Doesn’t mean it’s the same law for everybody mate, abi are you Boko Haram by force by force we must join your club?

I learned from this video about ‘petty’, guess I am sometimes, not often petty. Sometimes I am a hater. Sorry if you think that’s petty. If I hate something I hate it. (I’m so easy to please though. Ok scratch that. I’m a snob. I would snob one amala joint for a superior amala joint. It’s called having an opinion, having taste buds. ) It’s okay, you can change my mind about why I shouldn’t hate that thing, but menn, if I can say xyz is great, no reason why I can’t say jkl is not great or even that it sucks. Unless there’s a good reason, I’m not into petty sha. I’m into big. Greatness nikoo! (Not sure when this hip hop thing started in my life, but I’m loving it.)

I am a boss, but I think I’m not often bossy. Speaking of which, somebody I know put online that she is the bossette. And I replied, actually she is the boss. Yep, she is the boss. But ok if she wants to stay humble. Me I know she is the boss.

I used to say I hate when I nag, I also hate being nagged, but men, can I elevate nagging to an artform! Serious, I’ve been immortalized as a nag here: rajonsprithvi.blogspot.com/2008/01/new-year-and-life-without-t.html , and it’s the sweetest thing!

So yeah, I’m going to share this video with everyone. I’ll change the title, because womenomics doesn’t quite prepare you for the level of truth we’ll find in the video. I haven’t decided on the title – any tips? Group hug. My sister says I can be irrelevant on BN sha. I do it for the love. There is a reason.

8. Call Me Gorgeous..

February 5, 2015 at 9:29 am

The eyebrows in that picture is certainly not on fleek…
    🙁

• Tosin

February 5, 2015 at 9:39 am

My view on eyebrows: when you’re that awesome you have every right to use a pant for sunshades. Leave trend-following to the masses.

• scientist

February 5, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Her medical degree and her company is on fleek. pls show your credentials madam fleeky. Rme.

9. bee

February 5, 2015 at 11:29 am

Excellent!! She needs to improve on her presentation skills – the number of non- words (ermm) was way too much in her presentation…

10. mindyourbeeswax

February 5, 2015 at 2:08 pm

That picture at the top did her no justice at all. She is one beautiful woman

11. Teal

February 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Amazing talk!! I will totally drink to your ideas!!

12. ayshaEmem

February 5, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I love this woman… Inspiring talk..

13. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

February 6, 2015 at 3:22 am

WOW! I ENJOYED THIS. YOU COULD HEAR A PIN DROP WHILE SHE SPOKE. WELLDONE!

14. amaka

February 11, 2015 at 8:06 am

Inspired

15. ruzy

March 27, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Am inspired, i think the women in the society should be appreciated more especially those who work their way to the top post in their organization.