Style

Denola Grey: Say Goodbye to Fashion Faux Pas! Tips to Help Make Your 2015 a Stylish Year

Denola Grey for BellaNaija Style - Bellanaija - January2015004

It’s a brand new month and another chance to give your fashion resolutions another attempt. Now that we have a brand new year to work with, I will be dishing out knowledge on all things fashion for both men and women. So stay tuned, we have a lot to go through.

Today I’m going to be talking on a couple of tips that could help you get back on the style horse and probably have your most stylish year yet.

Enjoy!

1. Make friends with the Quirk
I have personally noticed the availability of quirky male accessories lately. It could be unorthodox jewelry pieces like the controversial Tom Ford Necklace for men; or it could even be loud ties and lapel pins.

Denola Grey for BellaNaija Style - Bellanaija - January2015005

Bring a little life to your outfits this year by adding an element of quirk to the mix and make a subtle statement.

2. ‘Jogger’ responsibly
Much to my dismay, joggers seem to be here to stay. More upsetting is they are becoming more acceptable as casual wear and have migrated from being exclusively lounge wear (which I never thought would happen). To me it was almost as impossible as escaping from the Friend Zone. But alas, joggers made the move.

While in some cases and settings it is appropriate to wear joggers, in other settings it’s just down right rude.

DO NOT wear joggers to dinner, or on a date or to church! I am making this distinction because I’ve seen this happen one too many times. Leave the joggers at home and save yourself from looking frumpy and like you just rolled out of bed.

3. Give a thought to your denim on denim combinations
Is pairing denim with denim a fashion faux pas or a celebratory casual look?

Denola Grey for BellaNaija Style - Bellanaija - January2015002

I for one am a little biased on this one. I feel like wearing denim on denim is acceptable as casual wear only if you get the mix of shades right. Pairing a chambray shirt (my very pretentious way of saying a light-shade & lighter material denim shirt) with a darker wash pair of jeans almost always looks good. Just remember the fit of the jeans has to be impeccable. It’s 2015, I hope you aren’t still wearing boot cuts!

4. Do not wear driving shoes with slacks
No need to go deep into this one – It’s self-explanatory. It doesn’t look good, and you may end up looking clumsy and unkempt. Wear lace ups or just change your trousers.

Denola Grey for BellaNaija Style - Bellanaija - January2015003

***

I understand that some readers may still be in Winter, so this one’s for you.

It’s really hard to look bad in the Winter. With coats and scarves you automatically look suave. But if you need extra motivation here are a few tips.

1. No matter how cold it is always make sure you look tidy. Pick a hairstyle that is easily manageable in the cold weather and frames your face well.
2. Ladies, when it comes to makeup, I think putting on a light powder, doing your brows and adding some eyeliner and ChapStick should do.
3. Remember to moisturize! Looking ashy is not cute.
4. Forgetting my own personal vendetta against sweatpants and hoodies, it really isn’t chic to wear it out of your house to socialize. It’s only acceptable if you’re an athlete. I think it was Karl Lagerfeld who said “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants”.
5. Leave the sweats at home. Substitute with jeans and knee-high boots or in the men’s case military boots. You automatically look ten-times more put together. You’re welcome.

Denola Grey for BellaNaija Style - Bellanaija - January2015001

6. When in doubt, put on a trench coat. A good trench coat is a great transition piece. It takes you from frumpy to chic with just one swift motion of putting it on. Invest in either a black one or camel colored coat.

And that’s it! Till next time, I’ll leave you with this gem from one of my favorite designers, Tom Ford – “ Dressing well is a form of good manners”.

Denola Grey is a media content generator. Denola Grey started his blog, www.denolagrey.com in June 2014. It consists of his thoughts, personal experiences, and style choices as he navigates his way through life. Denola has worked at PR Consulting New York and a fashion journalist for Genevieve. Denola alternates between working on his blog and other freelance projects.

1. Wait

February 4, 2015 at 11:01 am

Yassss!!! To the trench

• Juwon

February 4, 2015 at 11:28 am

Not with our Nigerian weather

• Kilakam

February 4, 2015 at 11:35 am

Only if you can’t afford air conditioning. People wear three-piece suits everyday and are completely fine. My uncle wears a light trench and a cravat everywhere but then it’s from his AC-ed car to his AC-ed office to his AC-ed house. Besides, you can always take it off if you get hot.

February 4, 2015 at 2:01 pm

@Kilakam..”Only if you can’t afford air conditioning”…smh

• Manny

February 4, 2015 at 12:35 pm

In which country? pfttttttt

2. Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 4, 2015 at 11:32 am

So with you on joggers. I’m all for the rise and rise of athletic wear, but with sensible limits.

3. anonymous

February 4, 2015 at 11:47 am

Nice.

But errrm, winter? guess bella has readers from all over the world.

Do want to know how to look trendy in the rainy and harmattan season though Cos some of us never travel during winter ( Cold will finish us) and summer is our normal weather here.

• Beatrice

February 4, 2015 at 12:37 pm

ooh so you had no idea people from US and Canada come on here rite? just so you are informed, am one of them. Thank you.

• MC

February 4, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Oooooo and you guessed right!

4. rocky

February 4, 2015 at 12:24 pm

NICE WRITE UP.

5. Manny

February 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Nice 1 Denola, cool pictures too! if you guys want more on the 2015 menswear update here’s a link to a post based on the ss15 collections; emmanuelsadi.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/2015-menswear-wardrobe-update-refresh-your-style/

6. Tosin

February 4, 2015 at 2:39 pm

My dear…
    My dear…
    What am I trying to say? Boy you fine o.

7. Anon

February 4, 2015 at 2:49 pm

It’s 2015, I hope you aren’t still wearing boot cuts! Really? RME!!

8. Zillion

February 4, 2015 at 3:50 pm

So all it takes to be a fashion protege in Nigeria is a bunch of coloured pants, colored Blazers,bow ties with unnecessary ornaments. This – isn’t stylish in my opinion.-he just wears too much colors for a guy and over accessorises- and You must have a mediocre sense of style If you think otherwise

• bruno

February 4, 2015 at 4:22 pm

@zillion.
      if u talk they will say you are hating.
      During my university days they kept on giving a particular guy in my department most stylish. he wears cooperate shirt and trousers and shoe ,and he carrys a bag (the brief case kind) monday to friday. smh

nigerians don’t know what style and fashion is.
      this dude looks so silly in that trench coat and boots. hahahahahahHahahH. make him stop pls.

9. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 4, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Only a lean guy like him can make those outfits look stylish…not for the general Nigerian men population for sure

10. fresh yuppie

February 12, 2015 at 9:47 pm

On point, just lyk my index finger.. Denola, u doin ur thang. Thumbs up man.. Diggin ya, no homo

11. Lekan slyde

February 18, 2015 at 2:23 am

Thanks alot for the views , especially the juggers issue. Now i think i no what i havee to shop for