Style

It’s Braids & Locs Season! From Yemi Alade to Bubu Ogisi | Check Out 9 Stars Rocking the Beauty Trend

Now that we are officially done with the Harmattan season, some of our favourite celebs are taking on fun & playful hairstyles.

BN Beauty has spotted stars like Yemi Alade, Bolanle Olukanni, Asa, Stephanie Coker,Waje, Bubu Ogisi and more rocking 2 signature hair trends – braids and locs!

From adding a pop of colour to jumbo-sizing it, these celebs are really loving the trend and are making us want to rock it too.

Check them out!

Yemi Alade
Yemi Alade - BellaNaija - January2015002

We all know Afro-pop singer Yemi Alade is not one to shy away from colour. Her bold prints and colourful up-dos are always part of her signature look. So when we spotted her with blue braids we thought – yup, that’s Yemi Alade.

We love the fun pop of colour and she wears it quite well. If you aren’t sure if this bold hue is for you, why not try a few strands or even go for blonde, that way you can rock the trend without too much commitment.

Yemi Alade - BellaNaija - January2015001

Stephanie Coker

Stephanie Coker - BellaNaija - Janaury 2015001

She’s the TV personality with a popping attitude! Stephanie Coker has a thing for stunning us on the red carpet and looking pretty while doing it.

We love her super long twisted jumbo braids, and her makeup by OTS Beauty in the picture above makes us love it even more.

Stephanie Coker - BellaNaija - Janaury 2015

Asa

Asa - BellaNaija - January 2015002

Whether you’re loving her hit track Bed of Stone, stealing ideas off her new fab look or drooling over her short locs, there’s always something to love about singer, Asa.

Even though she’s had this hairstyle for a while, we can’t help but love this version of the singer-songwriter’s locs. The fresh take is fun, chic and we want to see more!

Asa - BellaNaija - January 2015

Waje

Waje - BellaNaija - February 2015

Waje is taking on the locs trend too!

The star posted the photo above showing off her new look and it’s clear she’s loving it, even though commented on the shot saying”…This hair is the most painful hair I’ve done in my life“.

Beauty can be painful, but at least she looks great!

Bolanle Olukanni

Bolanle Olukanni - BellaNaija - January 2015001

Ebony Life TV’s Bolanle Olukanni made her stamp on the entertainment industry last year, and with this new look it seems she is going to be one to watch in the next few months when it comes to bold looks.

Her blonde and black jumbo twist braids are definitely a big change for the TV star, but we can’t say we aren’t loving it and don’t want to see more bold hairstyles. Something tells us she will look great with red.

Bolanle Olukanni - BellaNaija - January 2015

Bubu Ogisi

Bubu Ogisi - BellaNaija - January2015001

When Rihanna showed us just how chic, cool and fashion-forward grey/white hair can be, we knew it would only be a matter of time before more people within the fashion and beauty crowd took on the trend. So we weren’t surprised to see the fashionable stylist and creative director of design label iamISIGO – Bubu Ogisi rocking grey faux locs.

Usually wrapped in a high bun, the look is bold, chic and can steal the attention in a room – we love it.

Bubu Ogisi - BellaNaija - January2015

Liz Awoliyi

Liz Awoliyi - BellaNaija - January 2015

Who says you can’t go traditional with colour? Genevieve Magazine online editor Liz Awoliyi also got on the braids trend with small twisted waist length braids in black.

She is clearly feeling her new look. Look at all those selfies!

Liz Awoliyi - BellaNaija - January 2015001

Andrea Giaccaglia

Andrea Giaccaglia - BellaNaija - January2015

Andrea’s here!

Even though she has been off our radar for a while, we couldn’t help but notice her hairstyle.

Going the alternative route with jumbo cornrow braids, Andrea decided to make a switch from weaves and her natural hair to something she hasn’t done in a while. Great choice – we love it.

Isoken Asemota (VeryGoodBadGurl)

Isoken Asemota - BellaNaija - January2015

You know we couldn’t leave without giving a shout out to one of our favourite BN Beauties right? Also known as Enibaby4 or VeryGoodbadGurl, Isoken is showing us another way to rock the braid this year.

We love the volume and bohemian vibe the look gives, and of course it stays true to her personality – bold, larger-than-life but still pretty.

Isoken Asemota - BellaNaija - January2015001

***

Are you rocking the braid or locs trend in a different way? Be sure to share your fab photos with us by tagging @BellaNaijaBeauty on Instagram.

Tell us, who do you think rocked  the trends best?

Photo Credit: @YemiAlade | @Verygoodbadgurl | @stephaniecoker | @BubuOgisi | @kemismallzz | @lizawoliyi| @bolinto | @Officialwaje

1. TheGirlInTheBlueScarf

February 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Braids and locs are never out of season….

• corolla

February 2, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Exactly…when did they ever go out of trend to come back? Slow news day.

• iba

March 30, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Isoken has really slimmed down; well done lady

2. Busarni

February 2, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Yawns !!!! Slow news day

3. search dealdey for 40% discounts on KOJIE SAN soaps, SERUM & lotion NOW! sale ends in 24hrs!

February 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm

♥ asa ♥

4. rocky

February 2, 2015 at 12:48 pm

andrea is cool……….. i am even rocking 1 self

5. Anon

February 2, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I just had mine done on Friday. Big twists but much fuller like Stephanie’s. My Caucasian colleagues are already oohing and ahhing.

6. bruno

February 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

so this is the so called bubu ogusi that styles eku and othe naija celebs.aunty u are mean oh. so many unforgiveable looks.

baby hair is making a huge come back among ethnic girls (and boys). baby hair with braids. fka twigs has brought back the trend.

also grey coloured hair is starting to become a huge hair trend. kelis and rihanna did it a while back, I don’t think nigerian girls are adventurous enough to rock this grey hair trend.

• Vanessa

February 3, 2015 at 12:13 am

From your name you sound like an unexposed twat. If you can drop your Instagram handle here let’s see how you style and dress so we can compare and contrast. I’m sick of people with zero style or zero exposure in life making comments about dressing. And yes it’s her friend commenting. IDGAF

7. Zeal

February 2, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Nothing goes out of existence and nothing comes into existence, it goes in circles and get recycled. Saw Stephanie at Ebeano supermarket one time with her legs facing each other as she walked, na so she carry face like who dem tear better slap for road.

• funny statement

February 2, 2015 at 1:47 pm

make up and proper styling can transform many lol!

• jide

February 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Lmao. You meet them in real life and wan tear them slap for using instagram to transform their basic ass to stunners

8. locenvy

February 2, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Please somebody tell me where I can make Asa’s style of locs

9. wande

February 2, 2015 at 1:45 pm

the Nigerian big brother ladies are also big fans of braids especially vina geraldine and beverly i like the braids look generally but our human hair still reigns supreme here in nigeria.

10. Ivy

February 2, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I have been rocking “shuku” o! Y wont u guys at BN talk about me naww? Since its braids day….

11. DNB African Stories

February 2, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Beautiful ladies

12. leigh

February 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm

yoh! Andrea is beautiful, Asa my queen ,Bolanle also beautiful, the rest BLEEEEEEEEEERHHHH

13. MOI

February 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Why is this news? I have been wearing braids in all sizes and colours for years.. Well maybe bcos I couldn’t afford to join the hair craze but then its been here all along don’t get why y’all are making it sound new..

14. integrity

February 2, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Braids is the African Pride…Stephanie has been feeing too cool with herself lately…hmmm

15. Deni

February 2, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Stephanie Coker’s braids are always on point. Been stalking her big twists for a hot minute on Instagram. Beautiful girl

• TA

February 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm

@ Deni and Bella Naija, please correct me if am wrong. What Stephanie Coker has on, looks like Havana twists to me not braids or are they not?

16. jia

February 2, 2015 at 3:08 pm

You guys dont understand the meaning of trend abi. No one said braids have not existed. That makes no sense na. MORE women are wearing braids as of late. Grey weaves & braids have been around for many years but they have become the recent craze & something else we’ve seen will become the next trend. That is how fashion works. “Recycling trends”

I like Bubu, Stephanie, Bolanle, Asa, & Isoken’s hairstyles.
    I like seeing black women wear braids & their natural hair but Nigerian women can wear a lot of makeup sha.

17. Tosin

February 2, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Nice photographs. I like the trend — on other people. 🙂

18. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

February 2, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Sigh! I love braids – on people. I’ve got a big head so each time i braid my hair, i end up looking like the whole nation is sitting on my neck. I absolutely adore Stephanie’s braids. but sadly i can’t even dare. Hubby loves braids, he claims they look good on me – but errrm i dey look mirror oga and i know they don’t look good. *wails loudly*

19. Asgrl

February 2, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Comprehension is key oh. No one said braids are new. But it is refreshing to see our sisters taking a break from 30 inch Brazilian/Peruvian/Malaysian weave and getting into more indigenous hair styles. Calm down for Jesus.

20. paloma

February 2, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Am Rocking the style of >>>>> Andrea Giaccaglia currently 😉

21. FEEEZ

February 2, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Who really cares please…..refreshing to you,but not to me.

22. Reverse

February 2, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Please who knows the ‘attachment’ to use for Bolanles twists?

• chinny

February 4, 2015 at 2:24 am

Kinky twists dear

23. Miss

February 2, 2015 at 4:53 pm

None of them are trend setters jo. I have purple ghana weaving on in 10 plats and its just simple. So please. These are just normal everyday hairstyles and the only celebs here are Asa and Waje the rest re………….I don’t know

• Susan

February 2, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Please what’s ghana weaving? I’ve seen it a couple of times and I’m a Ghanaian but I have no idea what it is. Lol

24. ATL's finest

February 2, 2015 at 5:35 pm

After 10yrs, I decided to get box braids. Be it kinky, twist, normal what ever u call, it’s still braids. Be it big or small.. If u like, add purple or grey extensions… Same applies to Locs!!! What’s next abeg

25. Temmy

February 2, 2015 at 6:26 pm

A closer loo at this pix please.

26. Temmy

February 2, 2015 at 6:31 pm

27. Niola

February 2, 2015 at 8:24 pm

So unrelated to this topic, braids and weaves are hostile to my hair so I don’t venture anymore I just take care of my hair and I am going for waist length : so I’m told I need protective hairstyles so I made me a u part wig by buying chocolate hair , wig cap and bonding glue all costs 4500; and you tube so will you consider my hairstyle Also refreshing as it Is not Malaysian, Brazilian, Peruvian or Indian

• Iya

February 2, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Clap for yourself….

28. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 2, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Braids have always been in for black women. Period!

29. Mrs Nyam

February 2, 2015 at 10:41 pm

15yrs ago a girl in highschool who was 2 classes ahead of me sent me and a friend on an errand during afternoon preps to the hostel to call some girl for her, meanwhgoing to the hostel during prep hours wasn’t allowed but we took the risk and went, unfortunately we didn’t see her we came back to Bukky and told her we didn’t see the girl and she asked if we were sure she made sure she pushed her mouth while asking maybe in emphasis, she really looked funny and ugly to me when she pushed her mouth but maybe its because I was so angry as to why she pullled me out of class that made me see her as ugly but her mouth was really long tho, walking back to my class I told my friend can u imagine her asking if we were sure we went to the hostel with her long mouth dear, a friend of hers overheard us and told her Bukky sent for us and before we could ask why she sent for us I received uncoountable hot slaps that left me partialy blind and deaf for days, she didn’t stop at that, she removed my beret cleaned their chalk board and dusted it on my face, today she is ASA and looking at ur pictures each time I see them something deep within me tells me I wasn’t wrong when I said u have a long mouth ure still thesame babe lol…I can’t create a human being and I have no right to call one ugly but we must accept who we are, we all can’t be fine as in fine even tho we console ourselves by saying everyone is beautiful,as u fine e get person Wey fine pass u lol, I have a bit of k legs and my siblings friends and husband make fun of me all the time n I have never beaten or stopped loving them for saying what they see, I hope u see this.

• jide

February 3, 2015 at 12:02 am

Have you sought out Father Jerome or TB Joshua on this matter? He who the son og God sets free, is frree indeed.

• Irritated

February 3, 2015 at 4:34 am

You’re still as much of a little b***h as you were sll those years ago. Recounting your nasty little story on the Internet. How relevant was that story please?

30. Mrs Nyam

February 2, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Mouth there* uncountable*

31. Beautygeekng

February 3, 2015 at 7:36 am

I love their hair! Wish I could do braids but my hair is too full it keeps weighing my neck down 🙁

• chinny

February 4, 2015 at 2:26 am

Lmaoo! Ughh…I have the same problem.