Relationships

Mr. Nigeria 2014 Emmanuel Ikubese launches Domestic Violence Awareness Campaign ‘Project R.A.W’| OC Ukeje, Korede Bello, Di’Ja & More

BellaNaija.com

Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0001Emmanuel Ikubese, Mr. Nigeria 2014 has launched a domestic violence awareness campaign tagged ‘Project R.A.W’.

‘Project R.A.W’ stands for ‘Respect A Woman’ and the campaign photos feature stars like Bryan Okwara, OC Ukeje, Blossom Chukwujekwu, Kiki Omeli, Shaydee, Korede Bello, Di’Ja, Adesua Etomi, Chopstix, Lilian Afegbai, Chinyere Adohu, Marie Miller and more.

Speaking on the project, Emmanuel Ikubese states, ‘I believe no man will ever hit his Mother because of Respect. If such Respect can be applied in Relationships/Marriages this will significantly reduce the rate of Domestic violence in our society. My vision is to see Men make this pledge to Respect A Woman and apply them in their Relationships. For Women in such violent Relationships its high time they Run Away from this deadly act.’

The campaign photos were shot by TCD Photography.

Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0002 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0003 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0004 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0005 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0006 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0007 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0008 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0009 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0010 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0011 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0012 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0013 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0014 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0015 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0016 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0017 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0018 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0019 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0020 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0021 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0022 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0023 Emmanuel-Ikubese-Project-RAW-February-2015-BellaNaija0024

Photo Credit:
Photography – TCD Photography
Makeup – Kazim for Glittering Health Beauty

1. Laura

February 19, 2015 at 11:00 am

Korede, what’s funny?

• iyke

February 19, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Surprised he didn’t also wink….
      Smiling and winking….that’s his signature look..exactly what Don jazzy told him to do.lol

• olu

February 19, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Because the organizers told him to smile… or laugh….maybe?

• Intoxyka

February 19, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I was gonna say that Korede’s picture looked like a fake Indian movie love scene….. Does he have the strength to hit a woman though???

• hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

February 19, 2015 at 10:33 pm

As serious as the topic is your comment made laugh. Your question is on point though. I love the graphic nature of the photos because this is really what domestic violence look like. Often times even worse. Great movement. Now they need to empower women who chose to leave abusive relationships instead of shaming them.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 19, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I tell you, got to that picture and all that came to my mind was, “wetin dey tickle this one?”

Very laudable campaign overall. Hopefully, Nigerians won’t decry their efforts as “an attempt to break up marraiges”. I can voice that concern simply because of some of the things I’ve read on this same blog…

2. Taiwo

February 19, 2015 at 11:03 am

Brilliant concept!
    on a lighter note, KB did you really have to smile?? that lady looks like she could take you though!

3. twinkle

February 19, 2015 at 11:04 am

Sadly some women choose to stay in abusive and toxic relationships for the fear of being alone or being tagged by whatever name. if you value yourself and your life you shouldn’t stay, you need to run…………………..I PRAY you find the strength to leave HIM, yes YOU!

4. NIRA

February 19, 2015 at 11:09 am

Good one!! Sensible campaign!!!

5. Derin

February 19, 2015 at 11:14 am

Great concept, it would be even more impactful if they showed that men could also be victims.

6. pinkie

February 19, 2015 at 11:20 am

aww.. OC didn’t do justice to the role. not so sure he can hurt a fly. his facial expression betrays him.. D’ija!! perfect act. good make up. beautiful concept.

7. ojie

February 19, 2015 at 11:29 am

Why is the dude on the black short smiling?

• Duru John de Beloved

February 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm

“the Dude on the black shirt”?! really! You dunno who that is?! Thats ‘THE’ Korede Bello… 🙂 I dunno why he is smiling sha 🙂

8. oluchy

February 19, 2015 at 11:29 am

l love this concept, attention should also be given to other forms of abuse: emotional, sexual, psychological and so on.

9. Laura

February 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm

God bless u&thanks Mr Emmanuel.I was once a victim….

10. Ayodele A. Ojo

February 19, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Emmanuel Ikubese, you have commenced a powerful media campaign to help bring to light this silent curse affecting a lot of our women.

“I believe no man will ever hit his Mother”, wow, what a classic statement. I strongly believe international organisations will soon partner with you to push this agenda deeper into the conciousness of our society.

You may also want to think of starting a fund where well meaning Nigerians who wish to may have an opportunity to contribute financially this worth while cause.

On a final note, our Mr. Nigeria taking women who may seem to be voiceless under his wings, strength in muscles, but greater strength in character. Well done.

Ayodele A. Ojo
    0817 424 9421

11. niola

February 19, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I believe he is smiling as part of the act, you know those men that beat up their wives and look so cute that people think they cant hurt a fly. Just my own interpretation

12. Mercy

February 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Korede Bello trying to form sexy smile since 1960..
    A wonderful concept though, keep it up Mr Emmanuel

13. WENDY

February 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I LEARNT NIGERIANS BEAT THEIR WIVES MORE THAN ANY COUNTRY BCOS THE GUY CAN PROMISE MANSION BUT NEVER OWNS A KIOSK AND WHEN THE WOMAN COMPLAINS IT TURNS R. A W ??? IS IT TRUE

• paloma

February 19, 2015 at 2:17 pm

goggle it!

• BlueEyed

February 20, 2015 at 6:56 am

Please what are you on about? How can it be that What intrigues you is the supposed number of Nigerian men who beat their wives “(in proportion to any country) ” instead of the issue of domestic violence as a worldwide dilemma.
      P.S if you have statistics to prove that Nigerian men beat their wives “more than any country” (your words) please do tell how you came up with the figures or show us the research

14. lisa

February 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I like the idea of korede in this shoot because he comes across as innocent and that’s one of the ironies of domestic abuse some of them look harmless

• xoxo

February 19, 2015 at 7:31 pm

So true!

15. onyii

February 19, 2015 at 2:24 pm

These pics are so deep, the pain etched in the eyes of these woman even surpasses the physical injuries, Ehen! abe what sort of man would even think of buning a woman with a hot iron, that Kiki Omeili`s pic gave me goose pimples……….

16. DEBBY

February 19, 2015 at 2:43 pm

domestic violence high in nigerian societies….fact

17. chioma ukwuagu

February 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I am very impressed with this initiative. Good job! i would like to have Mr Emmanuel’s contact, so that as an organization we discuss how best we can collaborate with him on this campaign. Part of Oxfam’s work globally is to end VAW/G. kindly link us to Mr Emmanuel.. Thank you.

• Amarachi

February 19, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Chioma please i’m job hunting. I recently graduated with MA. in International Development. Abeg, any opportunity for Oxfam?

18. tunmi

February 19, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I like this initiative, I do. It has its problems in not including violence against husbands as well but I do like this. The makeup tho and the emotions…well done. Eventually we’ll get to the root cause of domestic violence (misogyny, patriarchy, control, power, and lack of respect). This is a good step

19. Peace

February 19, 2015 at 3:27 pm

What about the men in abusive relationships? Most men don’t say anything because theydon’t want to look weak in the eyes of the public. They should redo this campaign and include men in abusive relationships also…

20. Nelly A.

February 19, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Finally, a pageant winner who is not going to school to distribute books. Thinking outside the box is imperative. Please shine more light on emotional violence most men don’t perceive as more dangerous than physical violence.

21. Tim

February 19, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Great campaign… Great work from the actors, make up artist and photographer, the scenarios looked real. I hope this sheds more light on domestic abuse.

22. Camaraderie

February 19, 2015 at 4:01 pm

This is a great campaign, however i don’t agree with what seems to be Emmanuel Ikubese’s premise, THAT A MAN WOULD NOT HIT HIS MOTHER AND AS SUCH SHOULD NOT HIT A WOMAN. Men should not hit women Full stop. It shouldn’t matter what she represents to you. Don’t hit your mother, or wife, or girlfriend or sister or househelp, OR ANY WOMAN.

• Nahum

February 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I am just guessing o, but I think he meant no man will dare hit his mother so he should have the same respect for his woman and other women in his life. Just guessing o, I may be very wrong

• Tunmi

February 19, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I agree and have the same issue, but I didn’t want to throw away the baby with the bath water

23. Felinda1

February 19, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Quite Impressive Naija
    Even Yankee never thought of this concept for campaign to stop abuse against women
    God bless whoever is the creative director for this campaign

To be fair to men – i think the need to do one for men too, where the women are in their faces woving their fingers at them and what not, Yall know what i mean. I have witness it. and i dont think its fair on men – although the women abuse is more common that we all know.

• BlueEyed

February 20, 2015 at 7:07 am

Ummm are you under a rock? There has been countless campaigns in the USA alone on domestic violence and quite recently at the Grammy’s Pres. Obama talked about a new “It’s on Us” campaign.

24. Mrs Rico

February 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

…as a victim of dometic violence i applaud this initiative…i can totally relate to the pictures and scenarios depicted above..well done Mr Emmanuel, please i will relally want to know how i can participate in this campaign because God forbid our daughters suffer through domestic violence like we did/do…

25. Ross

February 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I love that it’s a man (for a change) who initiated this movement. Cos men listen to men. As for those talking about abuse to men? Yes it happens and it’s just as bad, but the violence against women has a more devastating effect on society because she is physically weaker. One thing at a time I guess

26. mimi

February 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I KEEP SAYING THIS: IF YOU CAN’T BEAT THEM, ARRANGE FOR THEM TO BE BEATEN! DON’T JUST RUN AWAY; CHECK THEM INTO A SEVEN-STAR MILITARY BARRACKS FOR A LIVE-CHANGING 2 WEEKS VVIP EXCLUSIVE TREATMENT! TRUST ME, THEY WILL NEVER LAY A SMELLING FINGER ON ANY WOMAN IN THEIR LIVES EVER AGAIN!

• Thunder

February 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Is that not the same violence we talking about?
      You are a she goat!

Respect every individual (Not only Respect a woman)
      Respect both men and women
      Run away from violence, flee

• MIMI

February 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Sometimes people need to feel the pain they put others through for them to get it, that’s my point. These women beaters will keep getting away with it because the women keep staying with them or leave them without doing anything to stop it, so some other woman comes into his life and he continues from where he stopped and he feels he is untouchable. Sometimes you have to fight violence with violence. That’s why Boko Haram has grown such huge wings because we as a nation have become too complacent. If we had stopped them from the onset in 2009 we would not be in the position that we are in as a nation.

Calling me a She-goat….I would never come down to your name-calling level. Go get some education and upgrade your mind.

• concerned

February 19, 2015 at 5:31 pm

She goat is a little intense, no?

• Tokunbo

February 19, 2015 at 5:13 pm

not that easy…. when it happens its like a daze the first time. By the second time you either get lucky to run away or like titilayo arowolo get killed.

• Tee

February 19, 2015 at 9:45 pm

oh my dear Mimi, something like that happened to my husband. He slapped me once and that was it.

In my own case I didn’t have to arrange the army. He showed himself in their presence and they beat the demons outta him! Suffice to say his life changed forever!

27. Moi

February 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I love this!!! Well Done 🙂

Next time, I think we should also include images that help highlight the fact that MEN ARE ALSO VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

28. Tokunbo

February 19, 2015 at 5:12 pm

This campaign needs to be put on all forms of media… i need my friends ex the animal she dated and almost killed her – to see this. thank God she #RANAWAY and today is alive to tell her story. i think names of molesters men/women should go public.

29. bruno

February 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

what a sexist campaign. this ur campaign is veryone sided. potraying only men as the perpetrators of domestic violence.

are you telling us that only men are responsible for domestic violence, all the pictures women are the victim while men are the bad guys.

when it comes to domestic violence men are always the bad guys and monsters. why

solange was kicking and punching jay z in the elevator nobody said shit. she’s a woman so she gets a pass.

women are just as violent as men. both women and men are guilty and capable of domestic violence.

pls both women and men can be victims of domestic violence.

30. bruno

February 19, 2015 at 6:15 pm

these pictures are appalling. so one sided

a man using an electric iron to burn a woman’s skin, REALLY? Isn’t that what women do a lot. all the women that pour hot watet, acid on their boyfriend.

all the women that stab their husband/boyfriend.
    all the women that cut their husband’s private parts off etc

they all get a pass cause they are women abi.

solange was kicking and punching jay z but still nobody accused her of domestic violence. solange is the spokes person for puma, she didn’t lose her contract. assuming it was a man that did what solange did in that elevator won’t he lose all he’s endorsement deals and contracts.

solange didn’t even come out to apologise gir behaving poorly. we all over looked it cause she’s a woman. if it was a man he would be holding press conferences and be begging for forgiveness eg ray rice, chris brown.

this double standard one sidedness should stop.

most women are the instigators of domestic violence. most women are the ones tgat strike the man first.

• funbaby

February 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm

bruno please keep quite joor, must u drop a comment.

• Speak Out

February 19, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I think you always need to feel relevant. Must you drop a comment? You had to talk about the issue in two consecutive comments. Please give us a break!

• chi-e-z

February 19, 2015 at 9:44 pm

While I’ll acknowledge domestic vioolence happens to both men and women I don’t think this canpaign is in anyway underminding that fact but rather choosing to focus on fighting domestic violence against women. I believe the solange case is ridiculous to point out since first, she was criticized heavily for her behaivior but secondly, if you watch the video it was like Jay Z was trying to stop an annoying fly from swatting back and forth at him compared to the ray rice video where the woman was knocked unconscious… unconscious oh or Rihanna whose jaw was swollen and eyes black. If solange was like sumo wrestler beating on Jay Z[that’s kevin Hart size] {like chris brown 6ft self hitting rihrih petite self] then obviously she would have recieved more backlash but I specifically remember the 4am news commentator that broke news calling Solange insane.

31. Sisi

February 19, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I second that too, names of molesters both men and women should be made public. Domestic violence is just wrong on all levels plus its quite refreshing to see a man start up this initiative for a change. Bless him!

32. Lola

February 19, 2015 at 6:53 pm

i kinda applaud Mimis philosophy, i was a victim of domestic violence. It took my neighbours to help me fight back warning him that the next time he comes into the compound to beat me, he will not leave there alive. I feared for them , my neighbors, but surprisingly he fled for his life cos they were husky ibo guys… but then the love was no more there…this was a man who dis virgined me…we had a child together but he still believes in his shallow head that i was having affairs…i was pregnant most of the time we were together and nursing our child so am wondering where the cheating allegations kept coming from.
    He was apparently accusing me of what he was doing . As it was later revealed that he has 3 other children frm 3 different women.
    I have since moved on , went back to school and working real hard and smartly to raise my son. God has been faithful to us as well.. Just waiting for the right man (in btwn, BellaNaija, can u pls play cupid for some ladies like me who are not so out going to increase chances of meeting Mr Right)
    Thing is just ignore violence on every level. Both as a man or as a blessed woman. I control my temper with silence. And walk away asap once issues are getting unhealthy.
    On a lighter note, i always told my son NEVER to hit a woman for no reason whatsoever. One day i noticed his been more withdrawn than he used to be, so i queried to know what exactly was wrong. He said girls in his class bully him a lot…and he over heard one of them say lets go and try Joseph, he will not hit us back………………..oh my….twas almost funny but i knew twas an issue tooo………………….i still insisted nevr hit them back but hold her with a firm grip and take her to ur class teacher…..* whew!

• bruno

February 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I still
      insisted nevr hit them back but hold her with a
      firm grip and take her to ur class teacher…..*
      whew!

just like the way they were holding solange while she was trying to brutalise jay z.

women are allowed to behave any how in the society why?

I have given an example. why did solange get a pass for attacking jay z but ray rice didn’t. even tho ray rice wife was the one slapping him and punching him first. she was charging towards him and he hit her and she hit her head against the metal rail that’s why she passed out. ray rice lost his contract and was suspended even tho he’s wife was at fault. why?

any woman that hit a man deserves to be hit back

women are also guilty of domestic violence

• Sisicalabaridoma

February 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Bruno no offence but who supplies your weed? I read your comment every time and I’ve concluded you are high on something. Fair enough you made a fair comment (About women being violent) and i agree but you could have said this is a few sentences. Take a chill Pill, live is not about writing nasty comments and criticizing people. Channel you writing skills in the right direction, start a blog!!

33. Belllemoizelle

February 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hey Bruno what’s the message in ur ranting please? I have never seen someone as negative as u shaaaaa,Haba! so bcos the woman strikes the man,he should strike more? Abi? Joor shalaye oooo make we understand!!!! So u support violence against women or waht? I really dont get u,Do u know thousands of women die due to domestic violence from their supposed loved ones and u are blaming them like they deserve it or what? So violence for violence abi Mr Bruno agbalagba Saddist, Attention seeking somebody! I don’t support violence whether to women or men!!!

La vie est belle………………

• bruno

February 19, 2015 at 7:17 pm

so bcos the woman
      strikes the man,he should strike more?

when did I ever say that in my comments. biko shut up. if u slap a man and a man slaps u back, u are not a victim of domestic violence.

• Olori Tari

February 19, 2015 at 7:26 pm

I think contrary to your comment…he/she is saying it is unfair to always label the man as the animal whilst ignoring the fact that women are just as capable. The ill guts here is the fact that there is double standard in our society. I don’t know if you just purposely overlooked his point. I mean his example of Solange vs Chris Brown and Ray Rice is enough to make one realise his stance – this is what the media is good at portraying and we’ve just seen it in this advertisement. Whilst the persons tone might not be the best, there is TRUTH in this and I do not think the truth suggests “smack her harder” in my opinion.

WELDONE EMMANUEL AND TEAM…this is a great step in the right direction. I hope you take the ‘rants’ into consideration too, as you continue this awareness! Because best believe, a man somewhere is being maltreated by his wife and well, he has no one to run to because he does not want to seem less of a man to society. And if you progress to ignore the man factor, the woman might not even realise the damage she is doing because in her head, men are strong and he deserves it anyway. WELDONE x

• bruno

February 19, 2015 at 8:01 pm

@olori tari.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. im so glad that you see all my points and examples and u understand what im saying.

any time I speak the painful truth, everybody on this blog starts to say im seeking attention. people don’t like to hear the truth.

by the way, I am not ranting. that’s how talk. lol

34. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls#

February 19, 2015 at 7:02 pm

This is awesome. Well done to the initiator. I am very impressed. Domestic violence should stop!!!! I am really impressed

35. ME

February 19, 2015 at 8:02 pm

What about women abusing men? I Choose to respect a man????
    By the way am a female!

36. chi-e-z

February 19, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for this initiative. Some of us have seen it happen so many times around us we start to believe it’s normal and we deserve such treatment. But it’s never right for anyone to hit you man,woman,child, nation there is always a way to resolve conflicts withut violence

37. trudy

February 19, 2015 at 11:35 pm

As a female I think I agree with Bruno. To be fair to the opposite sex id like to see some images enacted using an example of how Solange attacked Jayz in the elevator.as a man he held his composure and didnt hit back but I just want tgis to open a coversation that it couldbe other way round and such situations what does a man do. On this flip side campaign then you can use the likes of korede and oc as the victims)

38. lagos lesbo

February 20, 2015 at 12:56 am

Lol…
    Korede Bello smile
    Bruno ranting as usual but still makin small sense
    OC Ukeje bad pics
    @trudy last comment “On this flip side campaign then you can use the likes of korede and oc as the victims”

39. Idomagirl

February 20, 2015 at 2:10 am

Yes, there are male victims of DV, but female victims disproportionately outnumber them, maybe that’s why Emmanuel and his team choose to focus on women.

40. Beeeee

February 20, 2015 at 6:36 am

Oh geeez can we all move on already? I am sure Mr. Ikubese knows that women also abuse men. He has obviously chosen to focus on the “men PHYSICALLY abusing women” part of this horrible cycle. Ah ah, commend the man for doing something positive with his fame. If you want to show the other parts of abuse, you can start your own campaign. I was emotionally abused for years and it destroyed my self-esteem. It took the grace of God for me to find myself again. But I’m not whining about him not touching on the subject of emotional abuse. Maybe his campaign will inspire others to start their own campaigns touching on the various types of abuse people go through in relationships.

41. babygiwa

February 20, 2015 at 11:21 am

Olori tari, I liked your comment till it had 100 likes! I couldn’t have said it better, I am with you and Bruno on this one. No double standards please.

42. vicky

February 20, 2015 at 3:41 pm

@chioma ukwuagu u can reach him on any of his social media pages @emmanuelikubese instagram

43. naijalikita

February 23, 2015 at 2:09 am

Great campaign to raise awareness and get the ball rolling. But please consider the fact that running away may not be an option for many in this situation. Do I run back to Papa who said he has handed me over? How do I run? How much will it cost? Can I take my kid(s)? I have a friend whose family came to threaten her husband only after he put her in the hospital. But they did not ask for their child back. The next part of this campaign should focus on providing a safe haven for victims because if I have no where to run to, I will continue to take it. Death may be my only option unless I have neighbours, soldiers or armed robbers who hate violence against women to give him a taste of his own medicine one lucky day (for the men in abusive situations, reverse it)