Career

Not Letting Cerebral Palsy Stop Her, Ghanaian CEO Farida Bedwei Became a Software Engineer! Watch Her Super Inspiring Feature on African Voices

This Ghanaian computer software engineer will blow your mind away!

As a result of a medical situation when she was a baby, Farida Bedwei has lived with Cerebral Palsy all her life; but this has not been a limitation.

Instead, Farida Bedwei found a way to beat her disability and is, today, considered as one of the most powerful  women in financial technology in Africa.

If that doesn’t just leave you breathless with awe then…

Watch the video of her feature on CNN‘s African Voices!

Part I

Part II

Part III

1. @edDREAMZ

February 20, 2015 at 5:31 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I wish i got network but i dont…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. Rose

February 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Watched this on CNN and told myself, “girl, you don’t have any reason to not succeed at what is important to you.”

3. Udees

February 20, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Inspiring! I’ll look out for Farida’s interview.

4. Bola

February 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm

So inspiring

5. nike

February 20, 2015 at 7:23 pm

This is inspiring. I have no excuse…
    Never excuse failure
    Just like Asuquo Cobham said in his TEd Talk.
    youtube.com/watch?v=gE8kDu4A_7Y

6. word

February 20, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I have just reconfirmed that i have no excuse; i need to discover why im on this earth. If she, despite her condition, can find purpose i dont know what iv been doing sitting in my comfort zone

7. blow

February 20, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Inspiring,,,,,,,,, the fact that her parents are rich and enlightened helped a lot. May God give her all the joy she needs!

8. Fifi

February 20, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Mothers play a very vital role, i watched her story on CNN and i was so proud and in awe of her accomplishment,shes a PHENOMENAL woman

9. amaaa

February 20, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Wow finished uni in 2 yr, She is Nigerian and lives and owns a business In Ghana wow!!. She not only inspires her home country but the rest of Africa. Can anyone say which part of Nigeria she from? Her sur name is so unique.

• Kiks

February 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm

She is Ghanaian by blood but born in Nigeria

• Honey

February 21, 2015 at 12:03 am

Lmaaaooooo once again….Nigeria taking credits for anything mind blowing coming from other parts of Africa. Choi una nor dey taya??

10. o

February 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm

That was awesome

11. NP

February 20, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Please the article clearly said she’s Ghanaian not Nigerian. That’s also why you find her surname unique. It isn’t Nigerian.

12. bP

February 20, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Watched it on CNN few weeks ago and I was so so inspired and didn’t cry unlike my usual. Sef. Instead I got serious with my med school application rightaway lol. Lovely story!

13. goldfinch

February 20, 2015 at 11:22 pm

I guess she had a high level of bilirubin at birth. Bilirubin is toxic and the reason for the yellow colour when having jaundice. In very bad cases, bilirubin crystallizes in the brain. New born babies have to get used to degrade bilirubin themselves. In the womb, it is usually secreted via the placenta. If newborn babies can’t degrade it yet they are put in blue light – phototherapy. This will avoid the crystallisation of bilirubin in the brain. I still don’t know why the operation for her blocked intestine didn’t allow the phototherapy to happen.

This lady really inspired me, I have learnt a lot from her life journey. Thank you BN for sharing this with us. Really inspiring!

14. Akua

February 21, 2015 at 1:19 am

I have been crying since I began watching this inspiring story.Oh my…I will never ever give up in life no matter what. I will believe in everyone because everyone can succeed when given the opportunity. This is such a great story and I feel so blessed that I took the time to watch. God bless her and her family and may God continue to use her greatly.

15. gia

February 21, 2015 at 2:59 am

Oh my god..all these non-nigerian africans crying because of a silly little mistake amaaa made…So childish and pathetic seriously… -.-

16. LAWREEN

February 21, 2015 at 9:05 am

A beautiful woman with a beautiful spirit. If Farida has such faith and motivation to soar higher despite her disability then for those who have it all; i mean two functioning legs, feet,hands and failing to achieve or move forward need to rise up. REMEMBER GOD CREATED YOU FOR A PURPOSE. RISE AND SHINE for a better tomorrow. Being a special ed teacher, this story has touched my soul. I work with several students with cerebral palsy and indeed what they are capable of doing amuses me each day. We have one little girl (7yrs) with the same condition. She tries walking without crotches but falls yet rises up again and again then claps for herself when she makes it and does her best. Even as a little girl with such a condition she is always full of smiles despite the strange stares and pity looks from other. Wow Farida, Thank you. We need people like you in this world to really understand that yes you may have a disability, but “it’s not the end of the world”. Africans especially, need to understand this in order to motivate their special need children rather than casting spells upon and abandoning them.

• gia

February 21, 2015 at 11:29 am

“We have one little girl (7yrs) with the same condition. She tries walking without crotches but falls yet rises up again and again then claps for herself when she makes it and does her best. Even as a little girl with such a condition she is always full of smiles despite the strange stares and pity looks from other.”

This is so touching…

• A

February 22, 2015 at 11:07 am

I also have an 18 months old child who has been diagnosed with. Cpr due to high bilirubin and g6pd in his blood and the negligence of the nurse not putting any light on him claims he will get better ( ignorant oyinbo nurse) but I totally understand and can relate to FArida’s story.

17. Pep

February 21, 2015 at 9:14 am

I’m truly inspired. Beauty and brain.

18. nwa nna

February 21, 2015 at 9:50 am

While the majority of people would find excuses why not to, instead of one reason how to. Very inspiring & wishing her continued success in future endeavors.

19. Theresa

February 21, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Her story is amazing in every way!
    But what touched me most was her giving back to her community. She could have remained in UK after her studies, but she chose to go back home to Ghana and carve a niche for her skills. She also gives back to others who are in similar conditions but lack the resources. She didn’t wait for the government, but made the required sacrifices to help others. I love that!

It’s not about the career, money, fame, etc, it is being able to make a difference in our lives and the lives of others (not just family & friends) that truly matters. That is true success.

20. BO

February 21, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Very inspiring, if the world has people with her kind of spirit life, the world would be a better place. God bless you girl

21. ada nnewi

February 21, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Wow! Wow! Wow! I have no excuse….

22. uyai

February 21, 2015 at 9:58 pm

u r phenomenal

23. nnenne

February 22, 2015 at 1:02 am

If this does not inspire us, I don’t know what would.
    May the good Lord continue to guide and protect you and your wonderful parents.

24. Jolie N

February 22, 2015 at 2:23 am

Good for her. Keep going, my sister.

25. princess

February 22, 2015 at 2:41 am

Very inspiring!!

26. Ganiat

February 22, 2015 at 2:51 am

This has to be the most inspirational thing I’ve come across on Bella Naija. In the 3rd video, where Farida mentioned that you might be doing physio. for years and not see reasons for 2 years and then the child suddenly make a tiny progress. That really made me cry bucket loads because it sums up my current experience with my daughter. I really resonate with all this wonderful lady said in her interview and its an inspiration for parents of special needs children like us.

27. Devin

February 22, 2015 at 4:39 am

this has changed my life!

28. tony

February 22, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Bless!!!!

29. chibuike

February 26, 2015 at 2:11 am

Quite uncommon and inspiring! I love you Farida! May God continue to bless and strengthen you and your loving family too. I wish my young sister who cannot speak and hear well can relate with your story.

30. Farida Bedwei

March 2, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Just realized you had featured my story, thanks very much Bella Naija.. And thank you all for your kind words… God bless you all!