News

Outrage as African American Male Student of University of Virginia Bloodied During Police Arrest

UVA Violence

The issue of police brutality remains a hot button issue in the United States, especially as it pertains to cases involving racial minorities.

In more recent times, instances of brutality that resulted in the deaths of Eric Garner, and Michael Brown are still on the minds of many.

And now, another case involving police violence in the arrest of an African American male student of the University of Virginia is sparking outrage across the country.

According to CNN, the student, 20-year-old Martese Johnson, was on Wednesday arrested by officers with the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) in Charlottesville., Virgina, for being in possession of a fake ID card, and attempting to gain entry into a bar.

Johnson was reportedly standing on the sidewalk near the bar when the police officers approached him and proceeded to aggressively apprehend him.

Here is the video of the arrest. He is seen lying face down on the pavement, with blood flowing from his forehead. (Viewers’ discretion is advised, as it contains graphic images and explicit language).

“I trust that the scars on my face and head will one day heal, but the trauma from what the ABC officers did  will stay with me forever,” Johnson said in a statement read by his attorney on Thursday. I believe we as a community are better than this …we cannot allow the actions of a few officers to ruin the community of trust we have worked so hard to build,” he said.

However, reports state that “the arrest warrant for Johnson describes the student as “agitated and belligerent.” He was allegedly detained for public intoxication and obstruction of justice.”

Photo Credit: CNN/Youtube

1. Tosin

March 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I can’t watch.
    Self-soothing with ‘To Pimp A Butterfly’

needs punishment.

2. Tosin

March 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm

shuoe, wey my picture? that’s not my face 🙂

3. josh

March 20, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Looks like we will have to live with racism forever….its hopeless…every black man is seen as a criminal…God help us….as for me…im sitting my ass in Naija…until i hv d mind….still proud of my race.

• abi

March 20, 2015 at 1:10 pm

My question is “why don’t these black people cooperate with the police?” It’s simple if you’re asked to present your Id, please do and avoid all of these. We keep blaming white policemen for injustice when we ourselves are the ones initiating a problem. Thank God he didn’t die. He probably had a fake id period

• cindy

March 20, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Pls shut it! Fine he is wrong but there is a better way of arresting him than battering like that. Trust me if he was white with a fake id and resisting arrest, he wouldn’t be treated this way. Just stop with the victim blaming…..nonsense….mtchew!!!!!!

• tony

March 21, 2015 at 5:45 pm

TONY
      I have the premonition that these innocent illtreated african americans will soon pledge allegiance to ISIS against these heartless white americans

4. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

March 20, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Wont watch this video, but i am marveled at the state of violence with the american police especially in these small towns and counties. I agree, some people whether black or white resist arrest, but there is a tactic for defense that these officers are trained to follow when some1 resists arrest, before they resort to blows especially when the person is not a repeat offender!!! Every time i see this, i worry and always say in my mind, thats a state i should avoid when i visit. Please why are victims always male though???.

• Tosin

March 20, 2015 at 4:18 pm

because they’re scared of the men.
      hurts my heart,
      cos I’ve seen firsthand how some chics get all their rape fantasies mixed up when a black man walks by, worry he’ll rob them or something, they see a black guy on the corridor, start fretting – should i call security;
      i’ve seen firsthand how the most harmless black dudes, the big always smiling working on his PhD type, causes people to scurry across the street just by his being there;
      AND I’ve seen firsthand how many towns and cities don’t fugging want to see your black mug, male or female. e.g. Miami is fine, but not an hour north. LA-Pasadena OK, but not San Diego.
      It’s their damn country too, and they really have been patient, they have tried, they need to bloody rise up and kill all them racist mofos who don’t want to learn lol. I said lol – kidding.
      No, don’t kill anybody. But really, racism should be outlawed. Overt, covert, and definitely attacking or killing kids. They have every right to JUST BE in their own bleeping country.

• ifemelu

March 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

GURL! Don’t get me started on OC or San Diego with their Socal Pseudo-post racial cities!!

5. EllesarisEllendil

March 20, 2015 at 8:06 pm

What are the rules about suing Police departments in America???? Isn’t there a rule for excessive force?
    This just goes on to enforce my dislike for the American government, they can’t and refuse to fix their country. Yet they continue gallivanting around the world “helping” where they are not asked.

6. I said it loud

March 21, 2015 at 10:43 am

I have always said : white people are racist ! Wicked and evil…mr hey will never like us… I wonder sometimes why wen have to mix with th me I mean them. Gm them including my three sisters who all married white men… I am the only girls ne my family who married my African nigerian man…l my skin will never touched theirs.. They don’t like us.. They prerend liking us. The white man does not like to see us raise and reach a good stable, happy status.mthey always want us to see us miserable, poor, not educated…lvulgar, dirty always standing in corner streets, slavery was the must hypocritical, act and now they are the same people claiming HUMAN RIGHTS OR MAYBE HUMAN HYPOCRISUE. AMERCIANS ARE THE MOST HYPOCRITICAL PEOPLE, THE MOST FAKE..AND RACIST.. THEY CAN SMILE YOU BUT CAN STAB YOU AT THE SAME TIME. I CAME TO AMERICA WHEN I WAS 18 months 50 years ago. Only my siblings were born here.. But having lived in this society all these years with trips to home with family and the difference I see in different societies, today only marriage is holding me here…because I am married to a respected doctor who has a huge practice.. I hope one day we will all go back home..I am sick of hypocrisie.. Wickedness of white people, their black heart, and their daily wish to see us fall. I tolerate my white brother in laws, they are nice band I liove my nieces and nephews but deep,inside my heart I don’t like white people..because they don’t like us. The white man is with you simply for something.. The white ma will necver consider being lower level than the black man. My husband say I should be more tolerant and my kids call me racist.. But I am not RACIST I am just skeptical about they love efforts towards blacks. The white man will always be to me a DEVIL UNDER WATER….