Scoop

Watch ‘Oblivious’ – The ‘Best Short Film’ at the 2015 AMVCA! |Directed by Stanlee Ohikhuare & Ekene Mekwunye

OBLIVIOUS Banner
Sometime around 2003/2004 a story started circulating on the Internet about a couple whose marriage was on the brink of collapse. The husband asked for a divorce, and in response, the wife said she would give him a divorce if he carried her out of their bedroom for a month… just the way he did when they got married.

Ekene Mekwunye & Stanlee Ohikhuare teamed up to provide a visual representation of this story with a film titled ‘Oblivious’.

Oblivious stars Kiki Omeili, Adeyemi Okanlawon & Uzor Osimkpa and recently won ‘Best Short Film’ at the recent 2015 African Magic Viewers Choice Awards

The film was co-produced by Grace Edwin-Okon.

Watch Oblivious here:

1. Smiley face :-)

March 10, 2015 at 7:28 pm

This is a very nice movie. Waoh! waoh! waoh! I cried towards the end of it. I just wondered how many couples would have ruined their marriages this way. Once happy and then living like strangers and political opponents [African style] where they fight with blood and not brain. God help couples to always help themselves., love one another genuinely and dislike behaviours that they do not like in their spouses and not thespouse themselves.

2. like

March 10, 2015 at 7:58 pm

This movie must be a remake, i remember watching this as a nollywood movie.. i think Kalu ( Maters in Tinsel was the hubby) and Nkiru

Best shortfilm should have been brave sha.. original story line.. maybe i didnt vote enough

• TrueTalkCritique

March 12, 2015 at 10:08 pm

The actual movie is called ‘Unforgivable’ with Dayo Amusa and Mike Ezuruonye ……please correct me if I’m wrong!

3. mimi

March 10, 2015 at 8:00 pm

hnmmm… this concept was clearly stolen oh!!

4. @edDREAMZ

March 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I just cant watch it but i wish i could though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Rose

March 10, 2015 at 8:59 pm

This is so touching.

6. Sisi

March 10, 2015 at 9:38 pm

This is so touching, may God help couples to love themselves more, understand themselves more, care for themselves, cherish themselves, pray together and everything.
    Marriage isn’t a walk in the park, betrayal is like stabbing someone in the chest repeatedly. I pray that couples who have experienced betrayal in whatever shape or form find it in their heart to forgive and learn to love again. God bless.

7. Charles

March 10, 2015 at 10:03 pm

hey hey hey… this is just not right now. I mean, I know all about oblivious; I saw the movie at afriff and stayed till the end to read the end credits and it owes its creative input entirely to stanlee ohkhuare. The entire production – from pre production to post production; including Directing, cinematography, casting, lighting, ADR, Edit and sound design was done by stanlee ohikhuare at Mighty Jot Studios.
    I do understand that they came together to do something. And there is someone who is not even being mentioned at all. The producer by name Grace Edwin-Okon.

First error – the award was presented to the wrong person and stanlee would not even disclose to me what went down because according to him, he does not care much about the controversy but I do know that the movie was submitted to the AMVCA by stanlee and the nomination was for Kiki Omeili who starred in it.
    How the name of the nominee changed at the last minute is one wonder that needs answers. How the award was given to someone who had no creative input in the movie is another shocker. See how the man stood there and gave his awkward moment speech for somebody Else’s award. It is nothing short of a wonder.

Te fact that the director, producer, and cast did not mount the podium was enough evidence that something was wrong.

I did my little research and found out this guy once worked at MNET. Coincidence?

I would have kept my thoughts to myself if not for the very noticeable modification of the movie’s poster that appears at the top of this post. The poster has been modified to remove mighty jot studios and stanlee ohikhuare’s name completely. What a shame!

First, the guy’s award was deprived him and he foolishly keeps quiet. sorry stanlee, if you get to read this but keeping quiet on this matter is not a proof of being a gentleman. It is sheer foolishness on your part, allowing someone else to take the credit for your work. is just lame.
    I know I have seen all the publicity materials for oblivious and the poster on this post has been shamefully modified to lend credence to the fraud. so shameful.

Also, not climbing the podium when this Ekene guy collected the award was also foolish. You are lucky to have been given an award or else you would have been lost in the crowd.
    Between this misleading embellishment of a lie and the awkward speech by this ekene guy, i don’t know which one irritates me the most.
    If anyone cares to ascertain, browse the internet and search for the movie poster.

I never thought I would see the day when a man who has never shot a movie would win a movie award. Which way the AMVCA? This is why most Nigerian awards are not taken seriously.

Bella Naija better not block my post because then, I would make my grouse louder.

• Fortune

March 11, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Your rant is rather a sad one and honestly, I feel soooo sorry for you. But since you have decided to drink panadol for another man’s headache, clap for yourself, your ignorant self. Please go back and ask your “Jack did it all” director friend the origin of the movie, how he got involved with Ekene, that is if he will be humble enough to say the truth. That I invited you to my land, provided materials and then asked you to come help me build “MY HOUSE”, will suddenly make it yours because you were the bricklayer, shows the height of greed, selfishness and betrayal. Unfortunately for your friend the truth prevailed. Advice him to stop parading himself as the owner of the film before he ruins himself in the process.

• Jesusremainslord

March 11, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Mr Fortune, there was no need to go all out on Stan in that manner. I.e. your “Jack did it all” director friend. I’ve known Stan from afar since his Ekewan Uni days and dude it talented! I don’t know what happened here nor do i care to know but i know the source will never run dry.

Stan, you have it in you. MOVE ON already and i know you have. Its a great thing this happened with a short film than a main feature length film itself. I expect more from you Stanlee Ohikhuare and even you Mr Ekene Mekwunye. God bless guys

• MIGHTY JOT STUDIOS

March 11, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Mr. Charles, please could you please provide your full name? at least to be sure it’s not a robot that’s posting this?
      Captcha would really help on Bella Naija.

8. Charles

March 10, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Even the video credit says directed by stanlee ohikhuare and shot & produced at Mighty Jot Studios. wtf!

• MIGHTY JOT STUDIOS

March 11, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Mr. Charles, nobody is contesting who the director is abi? please refrain from popularizing negative press. and for emphasis, there are three production bodies in collaboration for Oblivious; MIGHTY JOT STUDIOS, DERWIN PRODUCTIONS AND RIVERSIDE PRODUCTIONS – which belongs to Ekene Mekwunye.
      And kindly stop insulting people on social media. It is not gentlemanly.

9. *Real* Nice Anon

March 10, 2015 at 10:13 pm

The guilt alone won’t even let that man date someone else. It’ll hunt himf forever! We always think we all have a lot of time left. Sad stuff.

10. T.C

March 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Lovely movie. I saw it at a film festival and could not stop thinking of how deep the story telling was. Kudos to the director, stanley ohikuare. It was the only movie that moved me to tears at the festival.

11. nonenglishname

March 11, 2015 at 12:13 am

Everything else in the short film is well done but the names of the characters. Why the name Lucy? why the name Jason? Are you telling me we have could not find any nice names from Nigeria or better yet Africa, that we must also copy western names too? My people sha!…names like Emeka, Dayo, Bayo, Kemi, Osa, Ngozi, Ofonime, Halima would have been better suited. Must we completely do away with anything that is us? Am just saying? When are going to become a proud people?

12. Onetallgirl

March 11, 2015 at 5:06 am

We have to love one another cuz u never know how long u have with them. Really good film! That guy from gidi up is a really good actor!!!

13. lade

March 11, 2015 at 8:43 am

U never know the worth of anything until you loose it!

14. Anon

March 11, 2015 at 9:15 am

crap! crap!! crap!! I am highly disappointed. This story was STOLEN!!!! No originality. Just 2 mins into the film, I already know how its going to end; and to think it won an award. Na wa

15. Yvonne

March 11, 2015 at 10:08 am

Nice movie no doubt
    But I totally agree with Like(BN commenter) best short film should’ve been” BRAVE ”
    Starring Wale Ojo and Adesua Etomi.
    That movie moved me to tears mehn!

• oj

March 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm

True. BRAVE should have won. Beautiful short film.

(But then, maybe it was because I knew how OBLIVIOUS would end)

16. funmi

March 11, 2015 at 11:15 am

Great Story….I was moved to tears…God bless you.

For the critics, pls give us original story…I am waiting to watch yours or listen to your poem….common Naija pledge am you cant recite. shio

17. Jefka

March 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

the actors were good.

18. Denise

March 11, 2015 at 12:07 pm

This is not an original story.

19. JADE

March 11, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Can all of you moaning about the movie being stolen keep quiet please? It is clearly written up there that they made the movie after the story went viral on social media. i found the movie to be dull though, actually preferred reading the story to watching this,it dragged in too many places that i had to scroll down and start reading comments

20. Adetolu Adeniran

March 11, 2015 at 5:05 pm

My girl Kiki Omeili doing a great job as Lucy. Excellent talent.

21. MIGHTY JOT STUDIOS

March 11, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Why all of this?

For clarity, OBLIVIOUS is a collaboration between Stanlee Ohikhuare (MIGHTY JOT STUDIOS), Grace Edwin-Okon (DERWIN PRODUCTIONS) and Ekene Mekwunye (RIVERSIDE PRODUCTIONS).

Yes – It was directed by stanlee ohikhuare but every member of the executive team; Stanlee, Grace and Ekene are all co-owners of the movie since it is a collaborative project done purely for the love of film making.

Pls refer to the opening and closing credits on the movie… It is quite instructive on the issue of titles concerning who did what and all that. There are no errors in the credits. The titles are final and conclusive.

If you don’t know the details of the extent of decisiveness on the matter at hand, then refrain from making insinuations.

With that said, I am sure we all agree that only one person can keep an award.

The earlier strings of comments hold no promise of leverage for the makers of Oblivious, the Makers of Brave or the organizers of the award (AMVCA) so, please – let’s not go any further with the folly of baseless rantings.

For all the folks posting negative comments about the movie; please learn to celebrate with others in their moment of victory; it is Godly, honorable and just to do so.

Every movie that got nominated at the AMVCA was deserving of the victory – I am sure we all agree to that; however, only one movie can win the award in each category.

I do admit that BRAVE was a good movie!

I am also certain that the producers of BRAVE will not be happy with the comments being made by the lovers of their movie because it is quite misleading; especially for people who only scratch the surface of matters without discernment.

Please stop the bad press for such a good movie with an instructive social message.

PEACE & UNITY
    God bless you all!

22. honey suckle

March 11, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Nicely done but I soon realized that I had heard of this story ages ago( online or via bbm broadcasts.. so I decided to search online and voila!! I found similar stories online. I don’t know who wrote the original version but I do hope the writer of this film did not assume/claim ownership of the story unless they are the orginator.

avmedia.info/blog/married-or-not-you-should-read-this/
    wellinthishouse.com/inspirational-story-marriage-horrifying/3789/

23. cheryl

March 12, 2015 at 10:19 am

read dis as a bbm broadcast a long btime ago, and seeing it as a short film now and its still ageless, very touching and inspiring

24. Chibz

March 12, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Beautiful movie, acting, producing, everything!!! I almost cried during d movie…AWESOME!!!

25. Bayo

March 12, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Very tasteful, and moving. I had read the story before and it twigged it was based on that within the first few minutes for some strange reason. Acting was sublime, and Kiki was amazing as always. Love it that she pursues her dreams AND she’s good at it too.

26. kay

March 12, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Kiki!kiki!kiki! God bless you for this. Your expressions!i had tears in my eyes.wonderful!