Music

Can Secular Musicians be a Part of Christian Concerts? Korede Bello’s Easter GodWin Performance Sparks Debate

BellaNaija.com

Mavin_Obi_Somto_Photography-10Korede Bello is an emerging pop artiste, but his biggest hit to date is ‘GodWin’, where he expressly sang about God’s blessings.

He even said in a Nation Newspaper interview that the song and its success is his greatest achievement in life so far,

My greatest achievement is to be glorifying God with my song. I recently released a new single called Godwin, and it is being received massively globally and that is my greatest achievement. Whenever people are happily dancing to my song, it really makes me happy. You know, to be able to do a song that the old, and young would be able to listen to and dance to but still be able to glorify God really goes a long way. I am very proud of that and it’s really overwhelming.”

It’s no surprise then that he’s been called to perform far and wide, even in places of worship.

The Island branch of HICC – Harvesters International Christian Center in Lekki, Lagos had Korede perform alongside its choir members for their Easter Sunday evening concert.

Here’s a video of the performance:

#HICC #GODWIN Happy Easter!!!

A video posted by Korede Bello (@koredebello) on

The performance drew mainly positive comments both from #Bellovers (Korede’s fans) and the church members alike.

However, a US based pastor, Pastor Olusola Fabunmi of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, City of Faith in Maryland, USA is now using Korede’s performance to question if secular musicians should be allowed to perform at gospel concerts.

Here’s his statement:

Korede Bello is a young man I love personally, and have nothing against him. But it’s written here, that when we chose the way of the world, we have clearly chosen our paths; becoming an enemy of God. Please, there must be a clearly defined boundaries of who sings, and /or ministers in churches. Some of the questions that come to mind are; is he born again? Sanctified with the spirit of God and baptized in the Holy Spirit?

Also, let’s ask ourselves, what’s even the purpose of people singing in churches and Christian concerts? Where purpose is lacking, abuse is inevitable writes Francis Wale Oke in his book; The Power of the Holy Spirit. So I believe very strongly that one major purpose of choristers or Psalmists singing is to prepare the minds and hearts of the people for the word of God that is to come shortly; since we see in parable of the sower that the hearts of men is like a soil, and when the seed (which is the word of God) is sown, one of the factors that will determine the level of harvest yielded is the condition of the soil (hearts).

I wish to submit by saying that the only difference that makes the difference between church gatherings/ programs and others like clubs, parties is the Presence of Almighty God. If he is not there, we might spend hours and do all manners of spiritual gymnastics, it’s sheer of wasting of time, energy and resources.

And the ministers who know their onions do all it takes to secure his presence. But I think today in the word of a very senior man of God, one of the older generation, Dr. Ayodele who said in Houston recently, that churches in this generation has been reduced to ABC… Meaning; Attendance, Building and Cash.

***

Photo Credit: Obi Somto for Mavin Records

BellaNaija-rians what’s your take on this issue?!

1. mzyinkis

April 9, 2015 at 11:55 am

Religious issues are not the easiest to argue about. we don’t know the intentions of the church owners or the concert organizers. another man’s food is the others’ poison so am sure they found it appropriate and also have solid reasons to back it up. truthfully, its weird though.

2. Doxa

April 9, 2015 at 11:55 am

Hmmm…

3. LotusFlower

April 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm

The minister assumes that ALL singers in Christian churches are “Sanctified with the spirit of God and baptized in the Holy Spirit”. Wrong! While some may be, many are not. Also, who is to say that Koredo isn’t born again or sanctified with the Holy Spirit.
    I have known choir members at different Redeemed churches personally, and they are no different than other people who attend church. In fact, many of these choristers attend secular concerts, listen to secular music etc. Koredo is just an easy target because his secular music is his career.
    Why do these pastors always think that they and their congregation are holier than anyone. I challenge him to assess the members of his church’s choir. His eyes will open.

• Stella Bee

April 10, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Good i like what you said, but dont you feel that bringing him to church will now give all those congregation you described the legal ground to do what they are doin…even if singers in church are sinners, am sure the pastor does not know and they have their judgement for pretending..no one is holier but we should gatekeep what we do…shikenna

4. Ige O

April 9, 2015 at 12:03 pm

If churches er for spiritual dev of believers what msg would a worldly singer has to offer in d church..Lets be careful of tis freedom.

• Ifeanyi

April 9, 2015 at 5:58 pm

He wasn’t there to sing a worldly song. Listen to the song to get the lyrics. Talk of what he has to offer, I’m sure you know that the lifestyle of most choristers are worse than that of the so called gospel singers. You condemn them, but still want their tithes, offerings and donations. Why don’t you reject their givings just because you think they aren’t born again. Let’s not be too quick to judge people. You don’t know people’s relationships with God.

5. bbbsmiles.blogspot.com

April 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Criticism flying from all corners..
    I really want to know what form of Christianity Jesus Christ actually practiced? cos I am so confused about that.. was he catholic, celestial,redeemer chosen, Jehovah witness, aladura or deeper Life? the Nigerian religion has turned into something else jare.
    Only God knows who truly worships him.May his Grace upon our lives never cease.Amen

6. Tkum

April 9, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I was at HICC Easter sunday, second service precisely(8.45am)…Koredo performed fine, only that i realised that the voice in real wasnt exactly what i heard..then i came to the conclusion that auto tune na him they help Mavin Records people career..no dissing…its just a straight talk and fact!…
    Secondly, Korede declared on stage that he is a born again christain and that he received the lord as his personal savior years ago…so lets not throw stones at him yet, dont ask me why biko?….However i quite understand and do fancy what Pastor Bolaji Idowu of HICC is tryna achieve towards gearing youths closer to God….but then even in church on sunday, Koredo’s #Godwin didnt move me maybe just because that was the only song of his that sounded ‘gospel-ish’ as he mix-ed his song with other popular christain songs…
    A lot of youths enjoyed the services nevertheless and i think that is what should count…that is one of ways Pastor Bolaji uses or gets to place the word of God in-depth of them. There were also performances also from Comedian Emeka Smith, Comedian Akpororo, Spirit of David, Tim Godfrey, The Exalted Tribe and others.
    The church has had MI (Chairman) couple of times , Actress Ufuoma Ejenobor or something, Timi Dakolo(When Timi came he performed ‘iyawo mi’ sef) and a host of others.
    however Pastor Olusola, i quite understand what you are saying to a large extent as myself wasnt really comfortable with Koredo’s performance, but lets keep some things aside, your calling to the ministry isn’t going to be all same with another Man of God. As a matter of Fact, the only thing that stands same is you all(Men of God) go into the world and evangelise, spread Preach the ‘True and Real’ gospel, thereby making disciples of God here on Earth.

7. Tkum

April 9, 2015 at 12:17 pm

ewoooooo…too many grammatical errors…no vex abeg….adjust with me. Osheyy!!!

8. bruno

April 9, 2015 at 12:26 pm

beyonce- Oh he so horny, he want to f*ck
    He bucked all my buttons, he ripped my blouse
    He Monica Lewinski all on my gown

beyonce-when jesus say yes, nobody can’t say no, when jesus say yes nobody can’t say no

as far as the person has a good voice, thats all that matter.

mr pastor from redeem, keep ur judgemental opinion to ur self. after all whats the different between a church concert and a d banj concert.
    the money u make from ur church concert, doesn’t it go to the pockets of the pastors. nonsense

• Tkum

April 9, 2015 at 12:56 pm

LMAOO….you are something else..i swear down!

9. Gistyinka Blog

April 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm

In my Religious mind, well i cant judge He sang that song to praise God and In Gods Kingdom there is no segregation, Afterall Solomon sang some of the best love song ever and its there writtin in the Bible in Naijainfogalery VOICE.

And In my normal mind This is simple arithmetic

Some Churches are not really Gods house to promote Gods kingdom, they are glorified Business Center set up not to save souls but to make money. So for the church its just a mere performance no strings attached. Girls Shake body , pay more offering, pastor hammer case closed

10. Ochouba Chidinma

April 9, 2015 at 12:35 pm

I Totally Agree with Pastor Olusola….

11. kenitola

April 9, 2015 at 12:38 pm

from my own point of view, secular music and gospel doesnt go together, although i still nod and “shake body” to some secular songs, there is a huge different because of the various negative things that comes along with it. korede bello (GODWIN) I love, but i think performing in a church (ON THE ALTER) is something am not in support of except of course if he is truely born again and the HOLY SPIRIT dwells in him because as it is now, even the so called “gospel artist” are sorry case,

12. jummai

April 9, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I agree totally with him, its either you are a gospel singer or a secular Musician, you cant be in two boats at the same time.

13. ese

April 9, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I think when it comes to issue of christianity, we should judge. Most of the termed secular musicians go to Church and are pure in heart. Music is just business to them. Let only God be the Judge because he alone will judge on that great day

14. Minister Ade

April 9, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Do not err Beloved. God loves everything good and what glorifies Him… Who are you to debate? Mind your business, serve the Lord and glorify Him! That’s all.

15. Racheal

April 9, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Why did HICC take down the video on their official Facebook page (not the island centre page) of the performance on their mainland church? #justwondering

16. Cher

April 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Oh please, these religious people need to know they aren’t gods. You’ve been called to minister God’s word. Not yours. People are inspired through music and this is an inspirational song. Why not? The message is positive & people most likely paid attention to the performance & lyrics over these pastors long sermons. People are too snobbish in these religious institutions yet they do basically the same things as “those sinners”. I will not mention them here. But they were singing R.Kelly’s I believe I can fly meanwhile he was sleeping with underaged girls. Sit down abeg.

17. Vivian

April 9, 2015 at 1:40 pm

The Nigerian religious population is full of hypocrites who apparently also believe in moral absolutism. I can’t stand people that always take the righteous stand as if nothing good can come out of something “bad”, and they do this by wrongly paraphrasing the Bible. How about they take another look and learn from Jesus (whose name they involve when JUDGING EVERYONE ELSE) who let a prostitute wash his feet with no judgement. Abeg Pastor take several seats

• zzzz

April 9, 2015 at 6:19 pm

lol you can’t be serious, the prostitute was going to be stoned literally. Jesus told her to go and sin no more, meaning that she’s a sinner that needs to change her ways. come on, apply proper context. even in the bible it says ” judge with righteous judgment for the same measure you use apply it to urself.” you can’t be a drug dealer and still say you’re a christian or born again. it is delusional and hypocritical.

• Vivian

April 9, 2015 at 7:44 pm

If you really did READ AND UNDERSTAND the comment you’ll see that I wastalking about people that judge in the sense of “nothing g00d comes out of people they have judged to be bad”…and as for my example of Jesus and the prostitute, he did not send her away from the temple now did he? Instead he included her because he saw that good can come from her DESPITE her present lifestyle. Jesus told her to “go and sin no more” but did he say ” don’t wash my feet because you are a prostitute’? The prostitute was going to be stoned by people who believed they were better and more righteous than she was and those are not the people we are trying to emulate.

And yes, I do believe that you can be a Christain and a drug dealer, heaven knows we all fight our own personal battles on the way to salvation and we don’t necessarily win them all. You can’t possibly tell me that you’ve no sins even if you’re a “born again”…that’s the lie that Nigerian Christians keep trying to sell each other. Do everything else in secret and wash mouth in public. HYPOCRISY AT IT’S VERY BEST. Moral absolutism is what is keeping us from learning from the past, because once we begin to think of people as either plain “good” or plain “bad”, the world will become devoid of progress. Because if bad people cannot have any good in them then what is the point of preaching salvation to them every day?

Yes Keredo Bello is sings “circular songs” but how does that automatically mean that his heart is devoid of the spirit of God? How does that mean that when he does sing a song of worship, it doesn’t count? if people are really in the mood to worship and praise God, then the person leading the session shouldn’t be the focus.

18. AMAKA

April 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I do not agree with Pastor Olusola please. Korede Bello’s Godwin song can be said to be a gospel song even though people may argue that KB himself is a secular artiste. I have read one of KB’s interviews where he said he is a born again christian. It is not in our place to judge or decide who and who should climb the alter. The pertinent question to ask here is ” is the song the artiste performing giving glory to God?”, is the song sanctifying the listeners? I watched the just concluded Stella gospel award and saw Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle performing Israel Houghton’s You are Alpha song and the whole audience was in the spirit with their hands lifted up to God. Abeg are Beyonce and Kelly Rowland gospel singers? Does that now mean God will not accept the worship of the audience at Stella gospel award?. All these so called songs christian songs we sing that transport us to the heavenlies, if you see/hear of the doings of those gospel singers ehnn, you would marvel.. I watched the reality show Preachers of LA last year and I could not believe my eyes. Bishop Clarrence Macclendon is a singer I love but he is narcissistic and a proud man. We all know that pride has no place in the body of Christ.

Most of us sing the song It all belongs to you by Damita Haddon every Sunday in our churches but only few people know that she cheated on her husband Deitrick Haddon with Issac Caree(another gospel artiste). All them gospel artiste being invited to Experience and other churches to perform all have one skeleton or another. Fred Hammond is divorced, Micah Stampley has different baby mamas, Dietrick Haddon impregnated his present wife before marrying her, there has been rumors about Donnie McClurkin being gay, William McDowell is unmarried with different baby mamas, etc. Bringing it further home, our own Sammie Okposo who has graced the altar of almost all the churches in Nigeria has a child outside of wedlock and was recently arrested in a foreign country for fighting. Does the fact that they tag themselves as “gospel artiste” make them better than Korede Bello? I do not think so.What about dancers? Dance groups like DLD and co who do Shoki and other dance steps, do we ban them from performing on the altar because such dance steps were created by Secular artistes? Most of us dance Shoki in church and then we say we are shoking for God but Shoki dance was not created by a gospel artist so why cant the same analogy apply here? Why cant Korede Bello sing Godwin on the altar if it is to glorify God?. As far as the church is edified and God is glorified, nobody should decide who or who shouldn’t climb the altar to give God praise.

• Olabisi

April 9, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Initially, I agreed with Pastor Olusola but now that i have read your comment, I totally Disagree with Pastor Olusola

• jummai

April 9, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Lol, you are confused.

• FinchleysFinest

April 9, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Sadly….I partially agree about this..But its a little bit tricky to agree… I am a worship leader in my church.. I’m NOT even near perfect but I lead worship in my church anyways… Am I to be compared with Korede Bello? Hell No! Here is the difference, Even though I am a born again christian with loads of short comings / I do things that makes me feel sick about myself, BUT I have dedicated myself to the work…That makes me a vessel. Korede Bello is not a gospel singer.. He sings for a living , you can’t compare him with Donnie,Fred,Sammie,Micah,etc…. even if they have issues in there christian walk with God. Because I am a christian/Worship leader with issues in my life doesn’t make me Secular artiste.

If the scenario here is that Korede Bello is a dedicated Inspirational/Gospel Singer then its cool… but he is a secular singer who claims to be born again…. so thats the tricky bit. [I’ll leave it for God to judge]

Storm is over by R.kelly was ministered by T.D Jakes Mass Choir…, We dance Shoki, Etigi, azonto in church Yes!!! Beyonce sings Gospel…….. This is beyond me …. So its back to God to judge….

• Paloma

April 9, 2015 at 5:15 pm

You are right in some instances though but i wont still accept its right! We are all sinners! so all those gospel artist you mentioned are reliable to sin also no one is perfect, do you know if they have seek God’s forgiveness in their closet? They work for God and Ministers, Choirs etc that works for God face trials and temptation so it normal dont use that to defend HICC or Korede Bello

19. twinkle

April 9, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I don’t see anything wrong is Korede or any artist for that matter signing in church, born again or not- it is your personal relationship with God that counts. Some of these so called born again commit more atrocities than people who don’t even go to church, who are you to judge someone a “sinner” or not? ….Sigh…..God’s ways are not our ways……DO NOT JUDGE.

20. Omolade

April 9, 2015 at 2:47 pm

21. ehn

April 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

If we can view it this way. Psquare’s ‘we thank God ooo’ was @ least appreciating God (or so I think). Now imagine if Psquare is asked to come and perform that particular track in a church gathering. I’m certain to a reasonable extent many eyebrows will be raised. I understand where the Pastor is coming from. At least, trying to put a check.
    However, if Korede has testified to being born again, it is in nobody’s place to judge that. But at the same time, once u r born again, pple look up to u. U wouldn’t want to discourage some pple by meddling with secular songs because everybody has a different level of grace. If u are for gospel music, let it stay that way. If u are for secular music,u face that.
    An undeniable fact is that the world and gospel are on two parallel lanes. U can only stay on one.

• Paloma

April 9, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I love this comment jare! its not about being holier than thou people should just accept what is wrong is wrong! This is what Muslims will never do, they wont invite 9ice or whoever to sing in mosque because he has some Arabic words or Islamic words in it! So because it is GODWIN we should accept it in Church? Its not about Korede here its about the Church!!!! Moreover is a Secular artist not Gospel artist there is a big difference there!

• Paloma

April 9, 2015 at 5:07 pm

*He is a

• Ifeanyi

April 9, 2015 at 6:20 pm

You can’t sing it in church but you can sing it outside. Quit deceiving yourself. The temple of the Holy Spirit is your body and not the church building.

22. Ibinabo

April 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I think Korede’s song is kinda different because it has a God element to it but I agree with the pastor, a lot of churches in their bid to attract worshippers (therefore more tithes and offerings) have missed the point totally. The other day I saw a poster from Fireman’s church with a picture of ladies, the poster was tagged ‘all the hot girls in Lagos go to this church except you’. Is that still evangelism?
    I also attended a Church youth programme recently and no single Christian song was played, in fact at some point a girl was grinding on a guy(I kid you not!!). A lot of people were of the opinion that it is a way to attract worldly youths to the church but must we really follow the way of the world to attract unbelievers?
    My dad attends an ‘old generation’ church and his advice to me the other day was that “there is no old school or new school heaven or hell” that I should be careful that I don’t miss heaven in the quest to be modern, that God doesn’t change. People be careful!!

23. jessy

April 9, 2015 at 3:02 pm

If Jesus was on earth today and had a church, is it sinners that he will invite or holier then thou people. The church is for the sick(sinners). Not the healthy, welcome all.. Jesus was always in the presence of sinners with the aim to convert them, a chruch would be no exception.

24. Sam Adeleke

April 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

“Many worship Me with their mouths, but their hearts are far from Me”.

25. maria

April 9, 2015 at 4:41 pm

so because he sings secular music he is not allowed to praise God abi. are politicians not allowed in church even though we know they are thieves and a secular musician is not allowed to praise Nigerians we need to re-evaluate our priorities.

26. Chidinma

April 9, 2015 at 4:52 pm

It is written that Jesus Christ ate with Tax collectors and sinners. It is also recorded that when his action was questioned; he replied “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”(Mark 2:13-17). Let the LORD who knows our heart be the judge, i no fit shout #GodWin.

• namesake

April 9, 2015 at 5:06 pm

My dear, there is a difference bw ministering and being ministered to. In that context, Christ came to minister to those pple. They are the reason for his ministry. In this context of this argument, Korede is the one ‘ministering’ to pple. So the argument is if Korede who sings secular music be allowed to ‘minister’ to pple in church. Hope u now get.
      U r welcome

• Cliff

April 10, 2015 at 1:43 pm

You have hit the nail on the head, there is a difference between what Christ came to do on earth, he came to minister to us that we may become his disciples doing likewise sowing the word into the hearts of men that they in turn can be transformed and not be conformed to the world. I know the prostitute ministered to Christ but her ministration was out of gratitude that she who was once condemned had now been given a chance at salvation, she did not minister because she wanted recognition or anything else from Christ. She ministered out of gratitude for God’s love.
      I pity those who want to play the psychological blackmail of calling others ‘holier than thou’ Korede who claims to be a believer was invited to minister on an altar with a song that seems to glorify God that may seem proper but it is something that must be checked. A lot of churches have chosen the path of modernity to win the youths but I have found out that it does not work. You cannot dilute the gospel to get people to believe it, people must learn to hear the Word in its true form and appreciate it for their own good, a lot of people have become born again on the premise of the prosperity messages and end up backslidden when they do not see it coming or they remain in church bitter and cynical.
      The essence is we need to stop thinking have a large turnout in church is what matters, what matters is the dedication and commitment of people to heed the Word of God and also live it and that or lifestyle will draw others to Christ.

• anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Is singing secular music a sin? Someone please answer me

27. Mewe

April 9, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Too many hypocrites crawling out… Finchleys finest, it’s ok to lead worship in your church because you claim to be born again. You also claim to be far from perfect, but in your mind you’re better than Korede because he’s a secular singer? By your logic, the gospel singers can sin and return to God while Koredes only sin is being a secular singer? Yet his claims of being born again are inconsequential to you? Thank God you’re not God! The judgment most pass on others is indeed something…. heaven will indeed be full of surprises!!!

28. NaijaPikin

April 9, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Secular – .denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis:

Korede has noted that the song was to praise God, and God has blessed him in return by making it such a hit. SO it does have religious and spiritual basis.

Anyone can bring folks closer to Christ. A good voice, a good song, a good word, a good testimony, an act of kindness, a word of encouragement from sinner or sanctified can bring people to God. We are not all the same, so we hear differently and are impacted differently.

29. naijapikin

April 9, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Una don land again ooo……Nigerians eh….some of us can dodge religious issues, and the other half thinks they are the authors of the religion,especially Christianity. Permit me to digress… its because its not our true religion that’s why we don’t know what we are doing most of the time….
    For example, those that change their name,because its not christian-based….Nna eh…..all my ancestors dey roast for hellfire be that,chai!!
    All those holier than the pope, who can recognise, and crucify a sinner with one glance, those who have the self-imposed right to deny someone entrance to the church, and to cast an allegedly “unfit” person out ….abeg wetin una still dey do for earth, last time I checked, all the saints were in heaven, if you feel you have attained perfection, abeg waka dey go….
    As Pope Francis will say…the church is a hospital, you come to get healed.

30. Lois

April 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm

I am not saying the man of God is wrong but I would say… God does not call the qualified, he qualifies the called… In truth, who amongst us is worthy of his calling… Church services are mainly for the unsaved.. We the saved are just goin to top up our inner man, the holyspirit… Y are we christians sooo judgemental… We are all justified by grace… Dats the Message of easter.. Korede, you too choose one na…

31. Simplyjane

April 9, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Totally random musings… How come people have accepted ‘christain’ for christian? Is it that confusing?

32. cindy

April 10, 2015 at 12:02 am

it honestly pains me when people use the they are “so-not-Christians” as excuses for their wrong doings. even when I tell a friend I’d rather get married to a church brother, they tell me “they are the worst, they cheat too…blah blah blah”. Yes, their will always be the not-so-born again in churches. They were there in the days of the Bible too. Is that an excuse not to live right or to lose your faith? Like my fellowship leader always says, there is the afe path and there is the safer path. May be when you get to heaven, you will explain to God that it’s not a big deal since Pastor so so so did it too. It’s your choice.

• Stella Bee

April 10, 2015 at 6:06 pm

omg…i love this…totally agree wt u

33. Nonsy

April 10, 2015 at 12:25 am

Hello guys,we could go on and on about what is wrong/right but I want to imploy us to focus on the things that matter bcos the truth is many people practice religion and not Christianity(I choose not to elaborate)
    However,it is important we as members realize that HICC is church unusual in the sense that the target isn’t the “so called righteous ” but the lost,that’s the mandate of the church.I personally would not be in a church where the system/doctrine doesn’t sit well with me,it’s “healthier ” to relocate than remain and yet stomach intense reservations.
    It’s no news that we Christians are masters at exposing ourselves to the mocking eyes of the world,attributes that Moslems don’t exhibit.
    There exists a Christian association where I believe is headed by matured Christians,so such issues/reservations ought to be discussed in the appropriate quarters rather than a sanctimonious display by some preacher who probably thinks he is saying the mind of God.
    Like I said,at the end of the day,Christianity is a personal race.
    Pray for the leadership of the church,tell it all to Jesus(your issues with how church is being run)Above all else,love all men sincerely…just my thinking guys,have a great day today!

34. Magz

April 10, 2015 at 9:12 am

Errrmmmm Pastor Olusola, I have one question; where were you when one pastor allegedly slept with his church member and when he failed to give us the robust response he promised? You could have released a statement condemning his action then. Or when a certain man of God engaged in a messy divorce with his wife?

I grew up in one of the old-generation churches and that church made me know the true meaning of hypocrisy. They would preach against use of jewelry and makeups and all, the choristers would tie scarf around their heads all the time, look down their noses at church members who didn’t. The same choristers would be the ones the parents would come and report to the pastor that they had gone through abortions. Or pastors that would be fighting over the church young midwife (yes! it happened) and still stand on the altar and point fingers at other churches that the members are sinners just because they allow the use of jewelry and other “worldly” things.
    The day i witnessed two men coming to our church to fight for the baby a chorister (a praise & worship lead singer o) had outside wedlock, i was not only shocked but also irritated.

For the person who defended the gospel singers that have fallen in one way or the other but felt it was okay to castigate KB because he’s a secular artiste who came to sing in the church, are you for real?

I have realized that it is easy for Christians especially the ones in/from Nigeria to give excuses for their “sins” and then be quick to judge other people on the same thing!

NewsFlash: the same hell awaits a liar, a thief, an adulterer/adulteress, a fornicator, a hypocrite, a backbiter, a glutton, a person who dishonors their parents etc (please refer to the Bible for the other sins). The same hell! So please remove the log in your own eyes before removing the speck in your neighbor’s eyes.
    Christianity is supposed to be personal but no, we do it for “let them see me” sake in Nigeria.

• Stella Bee

April 10, 2015 at 5:58 pm

definitely…same hell…r u looking at those pastors or Jesus? dts the problem people looking at pastors have…sorry…n him responding to this sure aint bad…its just that the church is trying all the appeal of the world this days even sex appeal…none of all this is rait calling a spade a spade

• Magz

April 10, 2015 at 9:53 pm

You totally missed my point; i have never been one of those Christians that look up to their pastors as their role models and i will never cos i know they are also human beings. Read my last paragraph again; Christianity is supposed to be personal – it is a relationship between you and God

My point; where was this pastor when 1) COZA’s pastor was accused of sleeping with his church members. 2) when CAN president’s private jet was allegedly used for money laundering. 3) when Chris’ and Anita’s messy divorce became a news material for tabloids. Why did he not come out to condemn these acts then? Or those men of God are too big for him to condemn? True men of God are not supposed to choose the actions they condemn!

35. Icebag1976

April 10, 2015 at 11:10 am

All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Nigerian Christians stop being hypocritical, you people now sound like modern day Pharisees Sadducees and scribes please face your personal race for salvation and leave the rest for God to control. The church and alter is you not the building.

36. sussy

April 10, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Sister Amaka you get their gist plenty o, HICC rocks jor.

37. Belle

April 10, 2015 at 2:41 pm

When we say “these religious people” what do we mean? Aren’t we all religious one way or another?

38. Ona

April 10, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Sincerely, I hope that this controversial issue will lead us all to exmine ourselves if we truly are in the faith. Remember, man may deceive you with their actions, but God judges the heart.

39. Ona

April 10, 2015 at 3:28 pm

It’s easy to say “I’m born again, spirit-filled, baptised in the holy spirit and fire”, but it’s the lifestyle of the individual will speak louder.
    Like my gym instructor will say “I can do it no be mout, oya do it let me see”.
    Not all who say to me “Lord, Lord” will enter into the kingdom of God, Jesus says.

• Stella Bee

April 10, 2015 at 6:00 pm

good…is Korede Bellos lifestyle depicting dt of a born again?
      …just asking cos i dont know him personally except on stage

• anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Do we know anyone personally to answer that question? I mean do we know gospel artists personally to know if their lifestyle is Godly or not?

• anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I have to say more than their lifestyle it’s their hearts that speaks louder and that’s what God is looking at. Sadly no one can see the heart of another person.

40. Ona

April 10, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I’ll pick my bone, not with Korede Bello but with the “church leadership” that should know better than entangle themselves in such controversies.
    The bible gives us clear instructions on who can minister in church, they should’ve obeyed those before defending their unwise moves.

• anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm

What bible instructions are you referring to please?

41. femi

April 10, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Dear Pastor,

Here are the issues
    The head of body of christ in Nigeria’s private jet was used to transport money out of this country illegally.
    The facebook battle between same CAN head and another ‘man of God’.
    The boy who chopped his father up in Redemption camp.
    Pastors Chris & Anita’s separation.
    Alleged $7Million collected to campaign for you know who.
    We are not moved by your reference to great men of God to give credence to your cause. There’s is fire on your rooftop and you have gone to bed. Leave the work of the accuser to the devil and face what issues that presently besiege your gates.

42. Stella Bee

April 10, 2015 at 6:02 pm

ok my question to the supporters of Korede Bello n d church…den i can invite Kanye West to perform Jesus Works at my church’s next concert? infact shouldn’t he be able to minister right before the preaching? hmmmmm

• anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Why not? I would like to know why you think Kenya West who never said he was Christian should or shouldn’t be allowed to sing in a church?

43. mee

April 10, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Opinions are allowed in all cases.
    My thought is that the church is tilting towards the world today. Anything goes. Should that be the case? Unless what the church thought of sanctity was not true. At least that’s what most Christians of old learnt.
    A lot of us Christians can’t have parties today without opening prayers but still rock secular music just after the prayers and end with a closing prayer. So how is dat different from Korede’s performance at the concert?
    My conclusion is you hear and know the word of God, what u make and do with it is urs to decide. Don’t judge cos u don’t know anybody’s relationship with God.
    No one can tell God’s thought completely. Let the guy serve him God jars.

Take a chill pill so u don’t become an extremist… We have more than enough of those already.

44. Caroline

April 10, 2015 at 6:33 pm

He who is without sin should be the first to cast a stone-Jesus

45. mee

April 10, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Opinions are allowed in all cases.
    No one can tell God’s thought completely. Let the guy serve him God jars.

46. anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Does being a secular artist make you a sinner or a non believer?
    Is God more concerned about the condition of your heart or about what you do?
    Is a church a building or a people?
    What’s the difference between an alter in a church building or an alter in your home?
    Are we only worshippers when we come together in a building?
    We’d get to heaven and be surprised that those we never expect to be in heaven are in heaven and those we think will make it are not there.
    Jesus gave a parable of the sinful tax collector and the self righteous Pharisee. Let’s ask ourselves who was more acceptable to God and why?
    We can’t all be pastors and gospel artist now can we? But should they be considered superior to the rest of the Christians and why should anyone be prevented from ministering because they are not “gospel artist” or pastors?
    Does God only accept the praise/worship of gospel musicians?
    What is the definition of Gospel?
    Does having the word God or Jesus somewhere in the lyrics of your song makes you a gospel artist?
    If not, then we need to reconsider the claim of so-called gospel artist.
    If so, then we can’t criticize anyone can we?
    What’s the harm in having a secular artist sing to a church? Church here being a group of believers.

47. anonymous

April 11, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Now that being said, Korede Bello would not be my choice artist to invite to a church service.

48. FinchleysFinest

April 16, 2015 at 11:27 am

Lets have Minister Nikki Minaj or Deacon Jay z to sing next sunday?

49. holy nigger

July 2, 2015 at 6:47 pm

a beg who get BB charger?

50. miss salvatore

August 31, 2015 at 8:05 am

I don’t know what y’all niggas are talking about..
    The pastor didn’t condemn korede bello..he even said he loved him personally…he was talking about the purpose of ministering a song….yes choir members have hidden sins and they are worse than secular singers…
    No one is arguing…the man of God is just saying that we should know the purpose of these songs…”is it to edify our spirit..or is it to entertain us..”
    Y”all should ask yourselves that…peace.

51. Rotanna

December 1, 2015 at 11:21 am

People of God lets get this straight…no one can give what he doesn’t have…the holy spirit makes the difference..let us not abuse the grace that Jesus has given to us.. Before Jesus died,no man was able to enter the temple.,remember the man who was struck dead for trying to place the ark…there should be some sacredness on the altar…you don’t just call any one to minister God’s song..we knw God’s grace through Jesus is unlimited and speaks for us.but we don’t have to abuse it…now 4 kor bell;.lets not deceive ourselves…a christian is not a secular,and a secular is not a christian… If kb, is truly born-again,then he has to do away with secular things 2cor 5:17…one cannot cannot serve God and mammon, besides,this is the devils plan.. What did you think Jesus meant when he talked about “wolf in sheeps’ clothing”. People talking,singing,ministering the gospel, in churches calling God’s name in speech and songs..lets be truthful to ourselves, with kor’s performance in church..what encouragement does it give to the youths?