Style

I Used Natural Ingredients to Get Naturally Soft, Shiny & Healthy Hair – Here’s How!

Rachael Williams - BellaNaija - April 20152After many years of working as a Hair Model in Europe and Africa, my hair not only lost its thickness, but it became very dry, brittle and lifeless.

I didn’t notice in the beginning, but a couple of years later I realized it was the constant heat application, the sewing-in and taking-out of extensions and the vast range of products used to hold, de-tangle, add shine, curl and straighten my hair that had been affecting it; especially since it was in an afro.

It just got too much for my hair, and caused it to become very stressed out! I didn’t want to stop my hair modelling career just because my hair couldn’t handle it, so I decided to deal with it the best way I knew how. The NATURAL way!

Do you know that natural ingredients can be found anywhere? Some women go to a dermatologist or a hair specialist for their hair problems, but I go to my Pantry.

When I wanted to start taking care of my hair better, I began to look around my kitchen to figure out what I could use. Eggs, Honey, Oatmeal, Brown Sugar, Avocado, Olive Oil, Lavender and Rosemary (which I grew in my garden) were all I could find. It didn’t look like much, but after searching online, I realized that I was on to a winner. As basic as these ingredients were, they formed the foundation for a great hair treatment mixture and  natural hair journey that I was about to embark on.

So here are the hair treatments I made with my ingredients; and hopefully they can help you too!

***

My 1st creation was a 2-step deep conditioning hair treatment to act as a Protein Treatment for my hair, and a moisturizing treatment to keep my hair soft and healthy.

Protein Treatment

Rachael  for BellaNaija Beauty - BellaNaija - April 2015001Ingredients
1 Whole Egg
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
8 Drops of Rosemary Essential Oil (I purchased this from a grocery store instead of making it myself. That would have been tedious)

The Moisturizing Treatment

Rachael  for BellaNaija Beauty - BellaNaija - April 2015

Ingredients
3 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Mashed Avocado
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

Directions

1. Firstly, I washed my hair normally and then started with my protein treatment. I mixed the ingredients together in a bowl and applied it to my hair.
2. After applying the treatment, I covered it with a plastic bag and left it for one hour. The egg will naturally harden so don’t be alarmed when you find out you can’t run your finger through your hair.
3. Wash your hair with some shampoo, and a little water, then move on to the moisturizing stage.
4. Mix the ingredients for the moisturizing treatment in a bowl.
5. Allow the moisturizing treatment sit on your hair for as long as an hour, depending on how much healing you think your hair may need.
6. Personally, I washed my hair and shampooed again. This is relative and you don’t have to shampoo again. After you wash you’ll notice your hair is silky, smooth, moisturized and light.

I used these steps & treatments every 2 weeks. However this is relative and you can use the treatments as often as you like, depending on your hair’s needs. This is where you need to develop an understanding of your hair and know when it’s hungry, thirsty or just cranky. I recommend at least once a month.

And that’s how I  revived my hair back to a  healthy condition.

These products can be found in a variety of places to help you get your hair back in shape. The lavender and rosemary oils may be a little hard to find, but that’s okay. The main ingredients in both treatments are eggs and honey. These important ingredients are filled with protein (a necessary nutrient for your hair for building strength) and moisture (to help your hair feel smooth and soft).

***

Have you ever tried any of these ingredients on your hair before? What ingredients did you use? Would you be trying these treatments? Share with us!

Photo Credit: Lisa Pearlman Photography, Contributers own Images.

Rachael is an International Model based between London and New York. She came to fame after winning Miss Black Britain and is now one of the faces of the Lingerie Brand Nubian Skin! Rachael started her own Natural haircare and skincare line "Rachaels Joy" late last year, as she enjoys caring for her hair and skin in the most "Natural way possible". Rachael enjoys travelling, espceially throughout Africa; She loves to cook new cultural dishes and always has a book in her hand! She can be reached below: Instagram: @MsRJWilliams/@RachaelsJoy www.RachaelJwilliams

1. deb

April 22, 2015 at 11:26 am

Yea I do the 1st one but don’t wash out ur hair in warm water, u did find fried egg on the floor of ur bathroom. Using a leave in conditioner and coconut oil to seal is also very important.

April 22, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Yes coconut oil is very good for your hair. I didnt fry the egg, its best to use it raw 🙂

• Lovina Gabriel

January 31, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Wow! U are down to earth; u even create time to reply comments God bless you dear. Lovina from Nigeria.

• Lovina Gabriel

January 31, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for sharing, please can u prescribe any olive oil products name for me cause I don’t which to buy, thanks.

2. wagamama

April 22, 2015 at 11:34 am

Don’t have a specific recipe, I just make them up in my head as required

Duduosun – replaced my shampoo (loves ett!)
    coconut oil – home made
    olive oil
    avocado
    mayonnaise
    egg yolks
    shea butter
    honey – rarely used, dunno why…
    glycerin + water spray – used as a sealant
    att ber ber lor…..

• Seriously

April 22, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Sounds good. I use coconut creme, olive oil and avocado to wash my hair. I’ve experimented and I find this combination to be what works for my hair. My hair was damaged but now it’s looking so beautiful. However, not every hair texture absorbs protein very well, so people should work with what works for them. And with natural products, consistency is key. And it’s not going to be magical but one thing for sure is if you keep your hair healthy, you will see results.

And keeping your hair hydrated with water is important. Sometimes, just spray water all over it, not soak but spray it. It wont make it damp or smelly. It will actually even make the oils like olive, castor, coconut work better

April 22, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Water is definately great for your hair!

• kili

April 22, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I used dudu osun to wash my hair at some point too. amazing stuff.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Question – does Dudu Osun not dry your hair out? I remember seeing Shea Moisture’s (those covert criminals who I can’t help spending money on) brand of African Soap shampoo but I decided not to buy it. Then I started using Dudu Osun for my face on a more regular basis and toyed with the idea of washing my hair with it but my skin feels a bit dry afterwards so I decided against it.

• wagamama

April 22, 2015 at 5:05 pm

It doesn’t dry my hair, although i’ll advise you to use at your own risk. Remember we all have different textures and these would react different to various products. However, i prefer duduosun to normal shampoo because of its contents

Pure Honey
      Shea Butter
      Osun (camwood)
      Palm Kernel Oil
      Cocoa Pod Ash
      Palm Bunch Ash
      Aloe Vera,
      Lime Juice,
      Essential Oil Blend
      Water and Fragrance

For me, this is as good as it gets and my hair loves it.

April 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Ill post up an article on natural cleanses too!

• spring

April 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I have done some lab research comparing Dudu Osun to other types of black soap (Hausa powder, Yoruba, Ghanaian etc) and my findings suggest that while Dudu Osun is not significantly less effective, it is indeed much more acidic. So my advice for using it on your hair is to balance out the acidity with alkaline products. Same concept applies when using it for skincare: it is simply too harsh for direct use. All the best! 🙂 (PS: The Ghanaian black soap + sulfur had the best anti-bacterial activity in my study)

• ArGirl

April 22, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Please what is Dudu Osun?

• Mary

April 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Dudu Osun is good for my skin and face, but it makes my hair so I quit using it for my hair. However, I love Black Soap so I got another alternative for my hair which I found on Konga, it has Lavender, it has a soothing smell.
      I also use Coconut, Jojoba and Olive Oils. As well as Mango Butter, Vegetable Glycerin and Tea Tree Oil. My hair has really grown. The texture is great too. I don’t have time to take care of my hair, but when I do, ah, great results.

• Mary

April 22, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Makes my hair dry*

• Efe

November 18, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Plz where did you get all these hair products you mentioned from

April 22, 2015 at 7:53 pm

your onto a winner!! Well done!!

3. peyton

April 22, 2015 at 11:45 am

Help a sistah out nau, why dont you just mix all the Avocado, Eggs, Honey and make them into a hair product so we can buy.

April 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Well the only problem im facing is that natural products especially fruit ones dont last very long on the shelfs! However i have made a oil for both the skin and hair including avaocado oil, have a look rachaelsjoy.com x

4. JAYNNE

April 22, 2015 at 12:04 pm

MAYBE THIS IS WHAT MY HAIR NEEDS, WILL GIVE IT A TRY

April 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm

let me know how you get on!

5. omoh

April 22, 2015 at 12:09 pm

nice one

6. Ladydoctor

April 22, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Any natural recipes to help my edges grow back?

• info

April 22, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Jamaican black castor oil

• deb

April 22, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Castor oil

• Becca

April 22, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Clean area with spirit and apply onion juice overnight. Just blend some onions into a mash. In the day use castor oil with drops of rosemary oil and massage.

April 22, 2015 at 8:01 pm

oh onion sounds interesting! Thanks ill try this too 🙂

• Melvy

April 22, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Castor oil is your edges’ best friend! Massage edges with castor oil and thank me later!

• Richbee

April 22, 2015 at 1:23 pm

castor oil will grow ur edges.. nice tip she gave as I have tried this and some other natural recipe to act as a conditioner and It did wonders coupled with the fact I make my own hair cream with shea butter and some carrier and essential oils.

• Kiki

April 10, 2017 at 8:02 am

Pls can you give me the names of the oils essentials for hair conditioner, my natural hair is very strong. Kiki from Nigeria

• Jennifer

April 22, 2015 at 5:33 pm

You don’t necessarily have to use Jamaican Black Castor Oil. Any kind of Pure Castor Oil you see is fine. (By the way, JBCO when I use it on my hair, I notice I get irritations on my face, don’t know how or why but it has happened time after time). So yeah, Castor Oil and Coconut Oil, mixed with essential oils like Peppermint Oil and Eucalyptus Oil, if you use it to massage your scalp regularly, it’ll grow. My front hair cut, because of Ghanaian Braids I made once, and doing that, alongside taking b-complex worked for me, it’s not an automatic process but it sure works. The essential oils added promotes blood circulation, that helps the growth.

April 22, 2015 at 8:01 pm

yes castor oil is amazing, but try rubbing either rosemary, thyme or peppermint oil daily, they will encourage growth!! (Make sur eto do a skin patch test too!)

• Lindiwe

April 22, 2015 at 8:45 pm

You can get any Castor Oil. In my opinion pure Castor Oil and JBCO are the same thing really. Remember to mix with an essential oil, my best for that is peppermint.

7. yippee

April 22, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I need this and I’ll definitely try it

April 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

let me know how you get on x

8. Olaide

April 22, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I’d definately try this by weekend. Thanks

April 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

9. seun

April 22, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Wat type of olive oil, is it d general olive oil dat dey sell in shops.

• Leah

April 22, 2015 at 4:53 pm

100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

April 22, 2015 at 8:02 pm

yes Extra Virgin oil is ideal, however you can use Normal Olive oil that you can purchase in most stores.

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

April 22, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Nice tips. 🙂 Have a few overripe avocados that I was moaning over (the price of avocados in this country will cause you to never desire to see them go to waste) but now have a renewed purpose for them. Can I wear a steam-cap over my hair when I’ve got this natural moisturizer in it? Or will the heat create a unique form of guacamole in my follicles?

• info

April 22, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Yes you can wear a steam-cap. That’s part of the process. Google, for more home hair care tips.

• Jennifer

April 22, 2015 at 5:34 pm

You can use Avocado, or Avocado Oil.

• Leah

April 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm

You really don’t need a steam cap, just use your usual shower cap and as long as no air is going in, you’ll surprised at how much heat it generates on it’s own. But there is always so chips lying around for that some guaca .

April 22, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Yes you can add a steam cap 🙂 enjoy!! No more wasting avaocados!

11. Gee

April 22, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I will definitely try this out. I’m getting tired of my natural journey ( 4 years now) because I feel it should be longer now and I’ve been tempted to cut it all off and just keep a short, curly hairstyle at all times. I’ve tried so many regimes, products, natural products..
    These steps are giving me hope so I’ll try and see what happens.

• Suz

April 22, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Awww, don’t give up.
      Try to wash it, at least once or twice a month, sometimes when you wash it, let it air dry, it might be because of too much heat.
      Try to use natural shampoos and avoid too much chemicals that can cause dryness.
      You can get an onion, cut into small chunks, add a table spoon of olive oil and mayonnaise, two tablespoons of coconut oil and honey. Add some drops of essentials oils, (I use Tea Tree and Eucalyptus), put into a blender and blend till you get a fine paste. I usually would put this all over my hair, wear a shower cap (not hair net), and tie a scarf for protection; I then leave it on for 45 minutes. After which I wash my hair. I do this twice a month.
      I use Mango and Shea Butter for my hair. Look for great conditioners
      Don’t worry, long process I know but your hair will grow. Eat well too 🙂 And don’t stress too much, it’s just hair after all.

• Leah

April 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Get a heavy moisturizer (I use ‘Giovanni Direct Leave In’ and I love it) and maybe get trim to get rid of spit ends. I also used to get frustrated with mine and now it is now that I have learned how to take care of my hair, it is the easiest thing ever. Castor Oil is a heavier oil, so you can mix that with your coconut and olive oil (I also use Jojoba oil)

Easy tips to go by; Always detangle with moist hair. Finger detangle first, use a wide tooth and ALWAYS comb from your ends.
      Always use a sulfate free shampoo.
      DO NOT shampoo more than twice a month, but co-wash as often as you need (Try ‘Aussies 3 Minute Miracle’ it is the best thing ever!) Co-washes are the best and they help your hair retain moisture. Try it at the very least once a week, follow with your usual leave in, moisturizer and seal and I guarantee you will see the difference in your hair in two months!
      Limit the amount of heat you use until you get your hair on track.
      Use your satin cap or pillow when you’re sleeping.
      If your hair is long, wash in sections. I always wash my hair in four parts with two strand twist outs and work my way through each section. It is easier to manage if your hair is tick so it is not a matted mess.
      Do not use vegetable glycerin if your hair is soft, and even if it is tick once you get used to managing your hair you’ll never need it.
      Try protective styles once in a while and tuck those ends in to soak up the moisture.
      Use your oil mix with a few drops of Rosemary oil on your scalp.

Once you figure out your hair, you’ll find out that you really don’t need that many products. I mix my own raw shear butter, alternate between two shampoos, two ‘leave in’ and two conditioner. I protein treatment like the one in this article and hot oil treatment once a month each and my hair is long, thick and healthy, something I could not achieve with relaxer.

• Lindiwe

April 22, 2015 at 8:46 pm

You don’t have to give up. Just study your hair and figure out what works best for you.

12. seun

April 22, 2015 at 7:49 pm

The olive oil, is it d oil sold in shops nd market cos I get confused whenever somebody mention olive oil

13. Rachael Williams

April 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

• THONIA

May 28, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Please I have a very stubborn hair, and I feel so much pain when combing that’s why I don’t always comb. What do I do to soften it. Please help

14. God's Gold

April 23, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Any tips on how to grow hair right from a big chop. And tips to soften beautiful strong Igbo hair?

April 25, 2015 at 10:43 am

Yess, try this moisture treament at least once every 2 weeks, to encourage softer hair. You may want to massage your scalp with rosemary or tea tree or peppermint oil too x

15. Adeola

April 23, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Hi Racheal! Nice article you have here. I have a quick question. I’m about this simple, natural and less chemical ingestion/absorption life. Which is best to use for a relaxed or natural hair; shea butter or coconut oil? I currently use the former, since that’s my current stable and body cream. I keep hearing of coconut oil as a good alternative. I will appreciated any detailed information about the uniqueness of these two products. My people, your additions are welcome too:) Thank you.

April 25, 2015 at 10:42 am

Hey, im glad that your keeping it natural! It truly is the best way for your body and the envirmonent. Both Shea butter and Coconut Oil are good, its mainly just the physicaly appearance thats different, Shea butter is a solid and the other is a oil. However if your shea butter is in a tub why not pour a little coconut oil in it and use together? much more simple that applying 2 products. they are both excellent for moisture!!!

16. The Buttery Hotness

April 26, 2015 at 12:05 am

For those asking what dudu osun is, It is a brand of black soap

For more information on it (and as I’m not being paid to market lol), there’s one oversabi named Google. Contact shim.

17. The Buttery Hotness

April 26, 2015 at 12:06 am

Oh, and thanks for the tip(s). I have pinned this page and will marinate myself in it as soon as I get the chance. x

May 20, 2015 at 1:56 pm

perfect!!

18. emma

May 21, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Rachael can i still use thiis treatment on my hair because i have dreadlocks on

19. Rica

June 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Rachel thanks very much! does this help after keratin treatment? to make it last longer? because i can find rosemary oil and avocado and more organic oils in the shampoo and conditioner i currently use ? natura or naturia professional after care with organics? so my question is if i can use your organic suggestion in combination with these products? will affect my keratin treatment ?

Rica

20. Laka

December 12, 2015 at 11:48 am

I am so excited! Am trying it out right away!

21. Tonia

May 30, 2016 at 5:23 pm

H Rachael,
    wow nice work you got there. i am suffering from hair damage too and i am not a fan of steamings and what not but i have been advised to pamper my hair. i used to have beautiful long silky hair but now its breaking alot and the front edges are all gone. i was advised to stop retouching frequently and retouch once every 3months (which is cool, my hair is fuller). then to hide the eating front edges i had to dye my hair a bronze colour to hide it. its ok. so my question is, i have read your recommended organic products, in place of the rosemary oil i cant find here, what can i use? and to understand better, that both methods are done seperatly right? also any advise to revive my hair again will be much appreciated.
    thanks and keep up the good work. God bless.

Tonia.

22. Ikeoluwa

June 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Pls ma, what type of natural relaxer cream can I be using? My hair is harsh, stubborn And roff. It is even breaking off now. Pls I need a very urgent assistance ma

23. Ayobami

July 4, 2016 at 9:31 am

Thank God and thank u for dis tips..I wanna ask just in case I don’t get Rosemary Oil, can I replace it with castor oil or coconut oil
    Secondly, should I mash d Avocado fruit with the skin (I mean d green cover) or I should peel it off…..pls I will be glad if I can get an answer soonest
    thanks….

24. Azeezat

August 4, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I needed serious help concerning my hair breakage et al but glad to be introduced to this site. I hope to find quick remedy to this .
    thanks all

25. Dorothy

August 24, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Hi Racheal, nice article u’ve got here. My question is: can I refrigerate ur treatment for moisturizing d hair? If yes, for how long? Tnx

26. Peace

October 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I Wantu Know Dis Avocado We Are Talkin About I Guess Its D Seed Ryt?

27. Cece

October 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I will definitely try this. But if avocado pear is not available, what can be used to replace it?

28. Toyosi

October 17, 2016 at 11:07 pm

am new on this but i ave got a low cut on but i want to kip my hair soft and shining so i will try dis method i hope to get my desired effect

29. Toyosi

October 17, 2016 at 11:11 pm

can i always make do with d eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, and honey cuz dat wat i av got aound me

30. sandra

April 9, 2017 at 3:55 pm

The olive oil is it the one used by pastors. And the rosemary oil if I don’t get some can I use the powded one.

31. Ronde white

July 22, 2017 at 11:00 am

Those are massive ingredients……

32. charles

December 28, 2017 at 3:34 pm

pls where and how can we grow or get rosemary and lavender

33. THONIA

May 28, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Please I have a very stubborn hair and I feel so much pain when combing that’s why I don’t always com. What do I do to soften it? Please help

34. GraceJackson

December 27, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Please what kind of natural hair products should I use to make my hair soft and long and soft and how I applied them