Music

Ice Prince talks being called the “Drake” of Nigeria & perception of Africa on The Breakfast Club | Watch

BellaNaija.com

Ice Prince on The Breakfast Club Power - April 2015 - BellaNaija.com 01
Nigerian music star Ice Prince scored himself an interview with The Breakfast Club 105.1 FM, with hosts, DJ Envy, Charlamagne Tha God and Angela Yee.

He dished on music, fashion, the weather and Boko Haram. When he was being introduced, one of the hosts said Ice Prince’s friend at Roc Nation, B-High calls the “Oleku” crooner the “Drake” of Nigeria.

He smiled, and said, “Yeah. He holds it down for me here. Shout out to B-High”

Read Excerpts;
On why American music is embraced in Nigeria, and Nigerian music is not celebrated in America as much: “I guess it is just what it is. America is a world power right. The President of America is like the President of the World, the most popular chef in America, will probably be the most popular chef in the world. But I feel like, America is still starting to open to other genres of music, I see reggae music is popping out here, and that’s dope. I see some of the UK artistes are popping here too, and that’s dope. I think Africans need to get that too.”

On if he felt pressured to leave Nigeria to become successful: “No. I have never had to leave. I still live in Nigeria. I just travel a lot, I’m just out there a lot because Nigerian music has gotten to a point where it is really, really blowing now. It is a huge market. Artistes are starting to make a lot of money. From the business, there’s a lot more bigger shows. There’s corporate getting involved, international companies getting involved, so stuff like that. So the market is getting bigger everyday.”

On Boko Haram: “Unfortunately. It is a terrorist group. They were disturbing peace. But it is a little bit calm now. Like Nigeria just got a new President, we just elected a new president. Congratulations to my country. my new President. General Muhammadu Buhari. He used to be a general. Anyway he is still a general. Once a general, always a general. He is the new President. We just pray that that stuff goes away completely.”

On the perception of Africa: “Unfortunately (When Charlamagne Tha God says over the years the pictures of Africa they’ve shown us is of kids with flies flying on their faces). Africa is beautiful, really, really beautiful. If you haven’t been there, you can only be as ignorant as anyone who has not been there. But like you said, South Africa is crazily nice. That’s one of my favourite places in the world after Nigeria. And Nigeria is beautiful. It is hot all year, it does not get too cold like that, we love it.”

Watch

1. ogo

April 20, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Ice prince you didn’t go direct to the questions.Question on Boko Haram-your answer was-‘Conratulations my country,my new president’ .On the perception Of Africa-your answer was’Nigeria is beautiful,it is hot all year it does not get too cold’.if na WACE you don carry F9.

• P

April 21, 2015 at 2:51 am

he was trying to project nigeria in the positve light like a patriotic nigerian would..jstsaying

2. Olori Tari

April 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Drake of Nigeria 🙁

3. Davis

April 20, 2015 at 10:06 pm

So fake! This guy is born and raised in nigeria, what’s with the fake yanky accent? It’s embarrassing you r not even good at it?! Speak with your natural nigerian accent and stop trying to be something your not! Rubbish
    And who the heck is calling him drake? This guy cannot rap to save his life, after oleku what decent songs had this guy had? Purleez!

• taurus

April 21, 2015 at 8:48 am

And it was even Bruno that made me like oleku… Lol

• taurus

April 21, 2015 at 9:38 am

*Brymo… Chai! See gbege

• Abi

April 21, 2015 at 1:07 pm

The American accent tire me o!! He has never lived in America, how far accent?

4. Mostest

April 20, 2015 at 10:38 pm

He did very well with this interview and represented Nigeria well. Pretty obvious every time he tried to speak normal they didn’t understand him so it’s excusable that he had an accent most of the interview. About being compared to drake, f you watche’d the clip he didn’t say that, his promoters probably did.

• haters anonymous

April 21, 2015 at 1:20 am

Totally agree with you, even me that likes to hate could clearly understand what was going on with his accent, proud of him still. Some of you guys are just the worst ahn ahn. The guy tried.

• Abi

April 21, 2015 at 1:09 pm

But even when he’s in Nigeria, he speaks with that accent, what would his excuse be then?

5. bruno

April 20, 2015 at 10:40 pm

ice prince u will never belong. they will never see u as an African American rapper. if u like keep being fake, keep acting and talking like a stereotypical african American man.

american music consumers know how to spot a fake.

• P

April 21, 2015 at 2:52 am

look at a fellow human putting another down..God this world, he hasn’t even started and see negativity..Thank God say God nor b man..chaiii

• P

April 21, 2015 at 2:54 am

and i believe you have dreams as well, how would you feel if someone makes such comments towards you trying to be successful..na wa oo you nor dey think ?

• Attack Lion

April 21, 2015 at 9:57 am

Being

• Tosin

April 22, 2015 at 9:06 am

i understood ice prince. had a harder time understanding the lady – lol, i’m bad with American accents, it takes me a while to get back into them.

6. tunmi

April 20, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Lmao my guy, Drake ehn? Issorai

7. nene

April 20, 2015 at 11:01 pm

he tried at least he’s on the breakfast club. but his accent is annoying. fake

8. Shola

April 20, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Vector,Skales,yung6 are far better dan dis coldprince…u kip forming. Ur jez enjoying d fame attachd 2ur name “cos ur rap is wack. 4me u should b compared 2 Biggie nt drake.

• ebiere

April 21, 2015 at 12:39 am

maybe vector but skales and yung6 MBANU….do you listen to their lyrics at all#WACKATITSPEAK

• taurus

April 21, 2015 at 8:51 am

Yung6ix is wack?. Heard his lyrics in kpansh?. Please buy headphones. there’s a difference between being talented and blessed. Yung6ix is talented, ice is blessed. More is the most decent song I’ve heard from ice. .

9. Pabara

April 21, 2015 at 12:02 am

Drake of Nigeria??Ice prince why are you hilariously mean?Please where is Orondam Otto that can pass for My Nigerian Drake,

10. Ndubuisi

April 21, 2015 at 2:51 am

I think he defended Nigeria very well the rest of the interview is a complete wash. I don’t like hip hop music and the culture around so I don’t care but let every Nigerian stand up defend Nigeria any where in the world we are she need it

11. BabaW

April 21, 2015 at 8:17 am

Angela dropping shade ‘when she went he thought the white rhino was some kind of drug…. hmmnn….

The interview was alright abeg. People that are saying it wasn’t a great interview should enter aeroplane and go and take his place. Let’s see how well you do.

12. wagamama

April 21, 2015 at 8:21 am

#OMONAIJA
    #NAIJABOI
    Kudos dude.

13. BlueEyed

April 21, 2015 at 8:23 am

He did well…..painted Nigeria and Africa in positive lights, that’s definitely commendable, and about the accent, I don’t think it’s wrong, that’s probably the only way they could understand him.

14. papermoon

April 21, 2015 at 8:46 am

“Drake” of Nigeria, really, all you aspire to is to be like DRAKE………. really!!!! mmtcheeew

15. Ada

April 21, 2015 at 10:54 am

Please, what is wrong with the accent? That is Ice-Prince’s accent on a regular though. Please appreciate your own once once. He didn’t call himself Drake, someone else did. He’s getting noticed in other parts of Africa and outside Africa. We just want to not like somebody. Na wa!

16. Black Child

April 21, 2015 at 10:57 am

People calling his accent fake and all that are annoying, he said it himself that he had to balance it for them to understand, beside, do you want him to go there and speak Igbo or Yoruba accent? LOL, this guy is going places and all I see is bad belle here…….And to the guy comparing Ice Prince to Skales or Young6ix, I think that’s the greatest insult you can do cos those Niggas are very wack, they haven’t even had a track close to Superstar, never mind Oleku, More etc. Ice Prince, Kudos to you abeg

17. jefka

April 21, 2015 at 11:53 am

when i saw the headline “Drake of Nigeria”
    i quickly came here for the comments.
    i cant be bothered to watch the interview.

18. cesc

April 21, 2015 at 3:44 pm

nice one.. pretty decent interview, Ice presented himself very well..he gave intelligent answers. and presented himself well

19. dzy

April 21, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I think he did very well you have to talk like that for them to understand, it is exhausting to keep repeating your self. He switched it once in a while. I love the “white rhino” part.

20. Dee-USA

April 21, 2015 at 7:42 pm

What else do you guys want? He gave them broken English even when they weren’t expecting it. His accent was pretty normal to me. Not everyone speaks English with an accent. I didn’t even think he gave them any phonee except when he started rapping. This guy isn’t the dopest rapper out there, but he has figured out how to get his name out here in Yankee. Even his mentor M.I isn’t as visible and he used to live here (thouhh I doubt M.I is interested in pandering to the Yankee audience.)

At least he managed to rep the guy who put him on the map, and teach these guys a little bit more about Naija. Still we are not satisfied. Even the legendary Fela would pronounce some words in his songs in a phonetized manner to make fun of our colonial background and help his oyibo fans understand his pidgin and colloquial references.

Personally, I didn’t think he compromised his accent or character in any way.

21. girlie o

April 21, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Ice prince…..you ehn! u funny ooo. Which drake?

22. G jozi

April 22, 2015 at 1:40 am

choc boiz nation 4 lyf my G…

23. Na We We

April 22, 2015 at 6:29 am

Good interview and Ice conducted himself well. He was clear and composed. The accent doesn’t bother me because it came it smoothly and didn’t seem forced, he even switched to pidgin and the Naija way of talking but they no gree hear am, so how im 4 do naa.

The only criticism I have is with his freestyle delivery. I don’t understand why Naija artists for the most part are not prepared when the go on such shows like this (and Westwood). Prepare in advance and have something new/dope to rap with, no be some verse of your song we don hear b4. Ice should have known better as he’s been on Westwood twice and has had numerous interviews, haba. M.I. , Jagz, and Wizzy will kill it when it comes to dropping freestyle verses.

It’s clear that CBN, Choc Boiz, and Chocolate City crew are taking over.

24. Tosin

April 22, 2015 at 9:04 am

positive.
    next up: Yemi Alade?

25. RAPFIXKING

April 26, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Ice Prince is one of the BEST artists Nigeria ever had. Believe it or not

26. Holy Mark

September 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

Ice prince dan gidan ZAMANI repping africa. Hommies…. First of all, ur criticism is far beneath what is termed appraisal. Ice prince is one time BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT AFRICA. if u dont know what that mean, It means ice prince is the best recognized artist in africa and outside africa. well, its normal. Most yorubas dont welcome his rapstyle here in Nigeria and prefer *wakq olamide*. iceprince has more audience outside africa. On the question of his a ccent. The colonialist imposed that language on us. And he learned it, love it, n is livin it. Guyz… Abeg go chop shit… If na ice prince una dey beef.

27. victor jos

November 21, 2015 at 2:03 pm

This nigga is almost perfect I wonder why jealousy no go let some ppl rest……at least he is the most successful rapper in nigeria if not africa at large! Abeg make una no use jealousy kill my brother for me o……make una just pray make god hear una prayer as edon hear me so,so dat efit give d rapper wey una dey support 2 level just maybe dem fit call am for lesotho cum for interview hahahahahahaha……bad belle is allowed sha……heheheheh rubbish…fresh with ur swag boss RESPECT U LARGE…..keep repping us we love u much much Boss