News

10 Year Old Paraguay Rape Victim Denied Abortion

BellaNaija.com

dreamstime_xl_48277682

Human rights activists worldwide are condemning Paraguay’s government, as they have refused to grant a 10-year-old girl who was raped, the right to abort her pregnancy.

NBC News reports that “Paraguay has refused to provide treatment to save the life of the girl, who is five months pregnant, “including safe and therapeutic abortion in a timely manner.”

In Paraguay, abortion is banned in all circumstances including rape, unless the mother’s life is in danger.

Speaking on the case, some United Nations human rights experts released a statement, which reads in part:

“The Paraguayan authorities’ decision results in grave violations of the rights to life, to health, and to the physical and mental integrity of the girl as well as her right to education, jeopardizing her economic and social opportunities.”

According to the World Health Organization (WHO) such child pregnancies can be dangerous, often leading to complications and death.

The little girl was reportedly raped by her stepfather, Gilberto Benitez Zarate. He was arrested over the weekend, and has been isolated to prevent other inmates from attacking him.

Step daughter rapist

Gilberto Benitez Zarate

Her mother has also been arrested and is currently in prison for failure to take care of her daughter.

Photo Credit: Ivanbogun /Dreamstime.com (*Photo is illustrative purposes only*)

1. Hurpeyeahmie

May 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! am so shocked and short of words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. bruno

May 13, 2015 at 12:30 pm

oya where are the religious people who like to shout abortion is a sin, God has a plan for that unborn child blah blah blah.

pls tell us what is God’s plan. a ten year old girl was raped by her step father and is now 5 months pregnant. oya tell us, what is God’s plan…………

Paraguay is a very religious country, most of its population are catholics. catholics believe abortion is a grave sin that’s why they don’t want to grant this 10 year old girl the abortion. religion is the root of foolishness.

they better carry that 10 year old girl to another country where abortion is legal and terminate that pregnancy. that little girl has suffered enough.

3. bruno

May 13, 2015 at 12:34 pm

” Her mother has also been arrested and is
    currently in prison for failure to take care of her
    daughter.”

yes I like that. its high time we start holding careless mothers responsible for exposing their children to perverts.

so many people shouldn’t be allowed to have kids.

4. Bukkie

May 13, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Oh!! My heart bleed for her! Poor child #criedforher#

5. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2015 at 1:16 pm

This is terribly sad. This poor little girl is at the very cusp of her life and already, many adults have made decisions about her body which will undoubtedly affect her in the future. I feel it’s unfair to make her carry that baby to term – imagine living with the constant reminder of your rape for another 9 months after the act itself ended. It’ll be a nightmare. 🙁

• Doxa

May 13, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Can she even carry the baby to term? Even if it does not affect her physical health (and it will. Is it not this early child birth that causes VVF?), it will affect her mental health.
      Hmmm…
      How I wish God made menstruation fixed to start at 18 years for all females, 21 sef. then we won’t be hearing all these kinds of things.

6. e mi ni

May 13, 2015 at 1:35 pm

life is still sacred… it doesnt mean the baby should be aborted. it’s such a shame that the baby has come through horrendous circumstances, but God is able to work things out for good. there are many children who were born under horrendous circumstances and they have been blessings.
    the wise thing is to give the baby up for adoption to loving parents, whilst the mother is also put in a loving home and given counselling.
    my prayers go out to her and the baby.

• Abi

May 13, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Yes life is sacred, but do you think that a 10 year old girl’s body is equipped to carry a child? She’s still a child herself. Her body will take a battering, for the sake of this girls health and mental well being, they should let her abort this child.

• Iris

May 13, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Do you think she is physically and mentally strong enough to go through childbirth?

• inori

May 14, 2015 at 9:28 am

“life is scared ” what about the 10 year olds life , if people valued the lives of people already alive instead on things that are not yet here life would be alot better . Her mother is now in jail for what ? not being with her daughter for 24 hrs for believing that her husband was actually a human being ? one of the indicators for poverty for women is having a child , imagine having one at 10 both their lives are ruined all the people who say life is scared will be sleeping while they both starve or have to sell their bodies for food. But hey life is scared , what a load of rubbish , i hope god punishes which ever judge made that kind of immoral judgement .
      Religion is for people who lack critical thinking and has no place in governance

7. Olayemi

May 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Kept away from being attacked? and a 10 year old girl can go ahead with all sorts of pain?

8. Bleed Blue

May 13, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Child rape. Always a sensitive issue for me.

I know abortion is meant to be wrong and against their law but if they insist on her having this baby, they must also ensure she is very delicately cared for, during the pregnancy, during the birth (if possible she should feel ZERO pain), and then they must have solid long term plans for how to get her through this entire ordeal psychologically and financially.

This poor girl is a already victim of all kinds of trauma at age 10. A child having a child.
    DAMMIT I wish I could adopt her right now! 🙁

• bimpe

May 13, 2015 at 2:53 pm

God bless your heart. Support her with your prayers since you can reach her in person. There are many victims in Nigeria also but i suppose they do not come out due to stigma. May parents be more vigilant.

9. CC

May 13, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I am especially concerned about the young girls health…can her body even carry a child for 9 months let alone give birth to one? God forbid but what if she doesn’t survive child birth?

As for parenting, this is why it is important to teach your children at a young age about being touched inappropriately because who knows if this is the first time this man has raped this poor child and threatened her not to tell anyone.
    I am utter shock to say the least!

• CC

May 13, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I am in utter shock to say the least**

10. tunmi

May 13, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Can the girl be taken to another country for an abortion then? Where is the concern for her physical, mental, emotional, and psychological well being? I realize some of those words were synonyms. This is just awful and wicked

11. Anon

May 13, 2015 at 2:44 pm

A 10 year old!!!!! Why would an old man like that be attracted to a 10yr old.a prepubescent???!!!! Sickening. One of the prison guards shld just ‘accidentally’ forget to follow protocol and let the other prisoners finish this guy.

12. bimpe

May 13, 2015 at 2:51 pm

My dear people, in as much as it is such a sad situation, there is no such thing as safe or therapeutic abortions. Even in America in many states,it is not legalized.
    The United Nations and WHO will never tell people the full truth and why they are constantly clamoring for abortions and contraceptives for women. The reasons will shock you deeply.
    A friend of mine works in the UN so i know for a fact.
    They will never tell that especially in the case of children,there are grave consequences of doing an abortion to life, to health, and to the physical and mental integrity of the girl.. Abortion is linked to breast cancer and people that have done abortions have Post Abortion Syndrome PAS where they hear the sounds of whatever methods are used to carry out the abortions,hear the child crying,keep remembering each year when the child would have been born and where he or see would have reached and so many other things.
    Having a child does not deny her a right to education and does jeopardizing her economic and social opportunities. People should support her and trauma experts should help out.
    I have a friend who is a child conceived through rape and all she knows is that her father is a rapist and that her mother who she doesn’t know gave her up for adoption and gave her life which she is so grateful for.
    She is married with 4 children of her own.
    Please lets rally and help victims of rape instead of clamoring for violence to be done to them a 2nd time. Abortion stops a beating heart.

• bruno

May 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm

@bimpe.

” Having a child does not deny her a right to
      education and does jeopardizing her economic
      and social opportunities”

very easy for u to say.im sure u are very rich thats why u can open ur mouth and say something this silly.

u are a very dangerous person and if this was ur daughter, I don’t think u will be preaching the same jargons u are preaching now.

some of u are shouting, she should deliver the baby and give the baby up for adoption. smh how many of u can adopt this child. u are just talking.

in a year how many people adopt children.

pls don’t be opening ur mouth and be talking shit. how will u explain to a ten year old who was raped and carried the baby for 9 months and delivered the baby, how would u explain to her that they are going to take her baby away from her and give it to another person.

many of u people are not educated on abortion, it is easy and quick and painless. 20 minutes the doctor is done.

“we should remove religion from the issue”

why? the illegalisation of abortion law was passed based on religion just like every other stupid law. as I said earlier Paraguay is a religious country and 80% of its population are catholics. most people who are against abortion are religious freaks. scientific researchers believe abortion should be legal.

some of u are just plain wicked. insult me all u want, but pls after insulting me, state valuable points on the issue.

• Peka

May 16, 2015 at 8:49 am

No need for insults I beg. It’s the govt that has shld take responsibility of the baby since she can’t abort. What do you think God feels about abortion?

• tunmi

May 13, 2015 at 5:30 pm

What in the world are you on about??? Abeg abeg abeg find those studies that prove exactly what you are saying. Abortion linked to breast cancer??? Sho serious sha? Iru oshi wo re. I get it, you don’t ever want to get an abortion and you would love it if every woman never had one—not your decision but whatevs. But to make such bold statements without proof is unconscionable.

• Opsy

May 13, 2015 at 5:34 pm

You’re such a liar… please say only things you know for certain!!!

Gosh!!!

13. Tessy Okafor

May 13, 2015 at 3:07 pm

All this needless propaganda to justify abortion is falsehood. Should we not be interested in both lives : the life of the 10 year old and the life of the unborn. Why should one life be substituted for the other. What the ten year old needs is support and love to carry the innocent, defenceless baby to term and not the violence of abortion and the post-abortion syndrome that will haunt her for the rest of her life. I know publications of this kind are sponsored by anti-life activists but ending the life of the unborn baby will never resolve the problem. These shameless adults crying ‘abort’ will not be there to bear the price of the harm the abortion can cause to the tender body of a ten year old. The more humane solution is to birth the child and give it up for adoption.

• Doxa

May 13, 2015 at 11:15 pm

I kinda agree with you sha. abortion or not, the girl has already been stigmatized. This is so sad.

• Surely

May 14, 2015 at 7:41 am

@tessyokafor
      How would u feel if someone took away your child after you’ve carried it for 9 months?

14. bruno

May 13, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I don’t think I am seeing well. bellanaija commenters are many of u well today. I can not believe what im reading in this comment section.

some of u are saying the 10 year old girl should keep the baby and deliver the baby.

do many of u know what it is to be raped at 10 years old and be pregnant from raped at 10 years old.

all of u are out of ur mind. someone of u didn’t even give a solution to the issue, that’s means u are in support of her keeping the pregnancy. saying things like my heart bleeds and how sad is not an answer to this issue.

I am afraid of nigerians. religion has f**ked many of u people up in the head that u lack logical reasoning.

its not ur daughter that’s why u can be okay with it.

so GOd has a plan for a pregnant 10 year old girl who was raped by her step father.

and what might his plan be, for the 10 year old girl to keep the rape pregnancy and deliver it, with her 10 year old under developed body. lets not forget, this 10 year old girl is already traumatised by rape.religion robs many of their reasoning and ability to think right.

so because of what ur bible says, u are going to allow a 10 year old rape victim carry a pregnacy and give birth. u are wicked.

religion is the devil in the society and I will fight it till my last breath.

abortion should be legal and it should be the woman’s choice.

@bimpe u are not a medical professional so pls stop spreading fear and misinformation and lies. abortion is very safe and quick when done by a trained medical doctor or nurse.

abortion goes wrong when it is a quack doctor who performed it.

I am crying reading this comments. so majority of nigerians are actually very daft and lack reasoning.

we should encourage and give a 10 year old rape victim who is pregnant support. what kind of support is that. what will the support do for her.

I am afraid of nigerians. if u support the notion that this girl should keep this pregnancy that means u support child marriage and u support child abuse. shame on all of u.

• La'Shonda Balogun

May 13, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Oya/Madam

Please calm down. Even if you leave religion aside, the situation is not straightforward for you to be arguing so vehemently in favour of abortion.

Yes, pregnancy in a 10 year old is a trauma (I would even go so far as to say it is horrific). However do you know what the impact will be on this child if she has an abortion at the age of 10? The impact on her reproductive organs and her fertility? I think not…you simply wanted a chance to rail against ‘religious types’.

You sir/madam are simply a tiresome deviant. Just because you encountered some judgmental Christians who frowned upon your lifestyle/choices/deviancy doesn’t warrant your tirades. They should have prayed for you…..you certainly need it.

• Surely

May 14, 2015 at 7:46 am

How about the horrible effects of child birth on her organs> You heard of VVF before?
      Do you think abortion is done with metal hanger like in nigeria?

• cindy

May 13, 2015 at 4:07 pm

@bruno, I would reply you but then I’d just be wasting my time. You don’t believe in God, we all know. You don’t have to keep reminding us like you do on your sexuality. Stop with your superiority complex. We all know you are not always logical with your reasoning either. Hypocrite!

• tunmi

May 13, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I’m with you on this Bruno. God has plans for the child, abeg abeg jor. Which kin life be dat? If the kid was asked….I can’t even bring myself to having that conversation with her. “I know you were raped and you went through this horrible evil, but do you want to keep the product of that rape?” So what of the girls released from boko haram, we deny them the choice of having an abortion should they choose to.

I can possibly concede to the girl making her own decision; she is still a child who may not fully grasp the entire situation. But to deny her the space to make that choice, that I can’t agree with. She’s 10 for crying out loud

• bimpe

May 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Bruno, i would not have replied you but because you wrote my name and queried my knowledge, i am replying.
      Go and ask a genuine O and G doctor who took their Hippocratic oath what one should do in the case of this 10 year old.
      I repeat, there is nothing like a safe or therapeutic abortion and this is not spreading fear or misinformation.
      Have you ever heard of Dr Bernard Nathanson an American doctor who presided over 60,000 abortions?
      Look him up and the ‘Silent Scream’ documentary that shows how a ‘safe abortions’ was carried out.
      I can hope that you eventually become objective someday.

• Brown

May 14, 2015 at 5:43 am

You have a point but i think keeping the pregnancy is far more dangerous than an abortion in this instance. She’s only 10 years old

• Doxa

May 13, 2015 at 11:18 pm

But Bruno wait o, the girl is 5 months pregnant abi? Even for an adult, abortion at 5 months is dangerous o, talkless of a child. Unless you kuku want both the girl and the baby to die and go back to heaven.
      What does the Vatican have to say about this sef?

15. pepsin

May 13, 2015 at 3:38 pm

my question is where is the child’s father. This child was already abandoned before her existence.

• Surely

May 14, 2015 at 7:47 am

you are ridiculous. READ THE F***ING ARTICLE!!!

16. smh

May 13, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Am a christian bt am sorry i dont support her keeping the baby. I was molested and raped at the age of 12 i can never imagine me bin pregnant and someone askin me to keep it? U are all sayin Gods plan why dont u put urself or ur daughter in her shoes b4 u open ur mouth and talk. I cant beliv wat am readin. Do u even knw wat bin pinned down and bin ripped of ur innocenc means?

• tunmi

May 13, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I was sexually abused as a kid, around her age too, and this is such a trigger for me. I can’t imagine what she is going through

• Peka

May 16, 2015 at 8:54 am

That’s not the issue here, in this case govt said NO! Besides she’s already 5 months gone, mayb a CS shld be done instead of normal delivery. It is sad but debate is useless now. All we can do is pray

17. le coco

May 14, 2015 at 5:55 am

@pepsin.. read the story well.. the father is the stepfather hu raped her… I am soo disgusted by this.. nd I dnt think im favour of her keeping the pregnancy.. bt I fear at 5 months it may be too dangerous to abort… please thr country shld kia kia organise death penalty for that man

• pepsin

May 14, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Le coco my point is why the child father is not there to take care of her with her mother. Now the mother has to go around with this ape of a step father, because she is seeking for a means to take care of her daughter.

18. Abby Scuito

May 15, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I say let him loose!!!! Let the inmates make him their bitch….he’ll hv 5 ficks up his butt at the same time.

19. Peka

May 16, 2015 at 8:57 am

So they care about the safety of the rapist and not that of the girl, interesting! God help this little girl through this. For all we know the mother might have been there when the girl was raped sef. Sad