Style

BN Beauty: Naturally Yours! Dionne Smith presents Eccentric Styles for Natural Hair

DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015008

Ah the beauty of natural hair!

From award-winning UK-based hair stytlist Dionne Smith, we get some great and creative ways to style natural hair. According to Dionne – “Women are embracing their natural hair more, but just need inspiration of styles!” and we couldn’t agree more.

Using hair extensions and fixtures, Dionne has created a few styles that can take your natural hair to a whole new level.

See images from the shoot and get inspired!

DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015007 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015002 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015003 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015001 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015005 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015004 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015006 DionneSmith Natural Hair Shoot - Bellanaija - May2015009

Photo Credit
Photography: Marcelle Adrianna (Website: www.marcelleadrianna.co.uk | Instragram @celliie)
Hair: Dionne Smith (Website: www.dionnesmith.com | Instagram @dionnesmithhair)
Makeup: Ots Beauty (Website: www.otsbeauty.co.uk | Instagram @ots_beauty)
Styling: Elizabeth Ajomale (Website: www.elizabethajomale.com | Instragram @elizabethajomale)

1. @edDREAMZ

May 12, 2015 at 12:31 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    God thank yu am not gay, see wetin wetin person for dey miss…. Those gals are so beautifull, they look just like an angel…. Lovely hair though no doubt….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. Lola

May 12, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Thank you. But they should have the ‘realistic’ hair types na.

3. meji

May 12, 2015 at 12:50 pm

This is totally unrepresentative of kinky hair a lot of African / Black women have. She has used a mixed race model and some slightly curly extensions and wants us to think she can style “natural hair”. Not buying what she is selling. A very poor representation.

• chi-e-z

May 12, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Any natural of any hair type can do those styles They’re just braids and bun something I do without thinking on my natural hair. I don’t know wat is y’all problem complaining. just stretch out hair with braid and style simple.

• tunmi

May 12, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Nah she has a point. Walahi even with natural hair, they still use someone whose texture is not the same. Colorism na real wahala

• Naveah

May 12, 2015 at 10:30 pm

There are Africans who do not have kinky curls, does that make their hair less natural or them less African? I think you are leaning towards generalization and not casting a fair look at this woman’s work. The hair is beautiful. Africa is beautiful in ALL of it’s hues and contrasts. Peace & Blessings:)

• natu

May 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Thank you for the comment. I am African and my hair curly. We all don’t have kinky hair. We are a diverse group of people.

4. NEWSCRIB.NET

May 12, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Gorgeous!

5. Beegal

May 12, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Please BN team I need definition of natural hair o. I don’t gerrit!

6. Beeeee

May 12, 2015 at 1:56 pm

The hair on the models might have been mixed with some “oyibo” blood….lol..While these styles are beautiful, they can be done on relaxed or natural hair so i dont think they should be called “eccentric styles for natural hair”. I know that natural hair comes in several textures but we need some real style for our thick hair, showing the kinks and coils and all. As for the extensions, in my opinion, marley hair would have made some of the styles more “natural”.

7. Marc Francis of Chelsea

May 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Why are the models all mixed race? Why do the style have to be “eccentric”? Why are the style so cliche?

#GetBackOnTheCreamyCrack

8. Marc Francis of Chelsea

May 12, 2015 at 2:34 pm

styles*

9. Fashionistar

May 12, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Is this natural hair?

• TOKUNBO

May 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I TAYA

10. zinnypearl

May 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

artificial hair not natural at all

11. dobzi

May 12, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Nice

Check out my makeup blog
    dobzifingers.blogspot.com/?m=1

12. daiva

May 13, 2015 at 2:09 am

Pls how do I get featured on here, I have some articles I wud Love to share with bners.

13. @tolu_lope_

May 13, 2015 at 8:25 am

Opened up the page all excited as I need inspiration for my 4C hair…error.
    To be fair, it does say natural hair…plus fixtures and hair extensions…so yeah.

14. GodsBabyGirl

May 13, 2015 at 9:14 am

i second that question

15. Permed and Loving it

May 13, 2015 at 11:00 pm

My opinion for those that wear natural hair is that they shouldn’t bother about doing braids or sew-ins. Now, I know quite some ladies that say they are natural but still wears the aforementioned.

After all, there’s nothing natural about sew-ins and braids. #justsaying