News

David Cameron Wins UK General Elections

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 08:  Prime Minister David Cameron leaves for Downing Street on May 8, 2015 in London, England. After the United Kingdom went to the polls in a closely fought General Election the Conservative party, led by David Cameron, are expected to be the winning party with support for both the Labour party and the Liberal Democrats falling away throughout the country.  (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

The UK’s Prime Minister, David Cameron, will remain in office for another term, after winning the country’s general elections.

His win has been described as “a surprisingly decisive victory,” as it goes against the widespread predictions of media commentators, Deadline reports.

Telegraph further reports:

Cameron has won the general election with an outright majority after Labour was virtually wiped out in Scotland and the Liberal Democrat vote collapsed.

Cameron hailed the “sweetest victory” as his party secured the 323 seats needed to form a government without needing to go into coalition.

It came after an electoral earthquake in Scotland, with Nicola Sturgeon’s SNP seeing unprecedented swings and decimating Labour north of the border.

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Dan Kitwood

Moremi Elekwachi is a Brand Communications expert with over 13 years of experience both locally and internationally. She is the CEO of Euphorique PR, a full-service Public Relations & Marketing Communications agency that helps clients achieve maximum visibility and impact through innovative strategies that cut through the noise. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the University of Georgia, and a Master’s Degree in Marketing Communications from the University of Southern California, in addition to a certification in Integrated Brand Experience from Orange Academy. Prior to establishing Euphorique PR, she worked at prestigious media companies including Wondros (Los Angeles, CA), Wildflower PR, and BellaNaija, where she served as Assistant Editor and Business Development Manager.

1. Zara

May 8, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Sad!!!!!!

2. oy

May 8, 2015 at 12:45 pm

congrats

3. Tee

May 8, 2015 at 12:50 pm

So sad, i was really rooting for labour •_•

4. Rita

May 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I think Ed Miliband would have made a better choice. The Briritsh, however, have proven just how traditionally conservative they are

• Mx Socially Awkward....

May 8, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Not really oh, re proving how conservative they are. I know a lot of Scots who refused to vote because they’re not completely on board with the outright nationalism of the SNP and would have dearly loved to vote Labour. Except that Ed Milliband just didn’t inspire them as a party leader.

This was the same struggle I had regarding Labour as well. Immigrants like myself would normally flock towards that party but Ed wasn’t doing it for me at all. And I’m not keen on UKIP or the SNP so I was left with the Conservatives (apologies to LibDem as I never truly considered Nick Clegg’s party at all). We’ll see how this decision pans out in the end.

• ToryLover

May 8, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I voted conservative and I am Nigerian.

• Tosan

May 9, 2015 at 9:03 am

I also voted conservative and I’m a Nigerian. Governing a country is not just about immigration, although there clearly is a need to curb immigration. As a young hard working family with 2 young children, the conservative policies are more beneficial to me than labour or any other party. I can’t keep working to subsidise the life of lazy people who refuse to work and live off the benefits system…

5. IloveNaija

May 8, 2015 at 1:12 pm

So, l voted yesterday. Very boring campaign, very boring Election Day. Whatever happened to carnival like campaigns, election rice and cutlass welding gangsters on Election Day? How l miss Naija. I voted Labour, we lost!

• newbie

May 8, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Lol @ election rice. As in enh!

• Author Unknown

May 8, 2015 at 2:30 pm

LOL. The parliamentary system is generally boring when it comes to elections because it’s the leader of the winning party that becomes PM. It’s in many ways not a battle between Cameron V. Miliband in the same manner as Obama V Romney or Buhari V GEJ, but a battle of total number of seats between the parties. My take.

• Anon

May 8, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Very correct. You are actually voting for an MP in your constituency to get a seat in the House of Commons. The more seats for one party = victory/majority.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 8, 2015 at 4:25 pm

In my own personal view and taking into account all the debates, media spats, finger pointing etc. that have been publicised between the leaders of the political parties until election day, I strongly suspect that many people in the country just made their voting decision on whether they wanted Ed Milliband or David Cameron as PM (again, apologies to Nick Clegg… none to Nigel Farage). Thousands of constituents are very likely to have voted more for the party than for the actual people billed to represent their constituency in parliament…

• Shopperoflife

May 8, 2015 at 6:54 pm

You are absolutely right. But, there is also strategic voting l think

• chinua

May 8, 2015 at 11:13 pm

yea! I am so used to democratic electoral process. It was my hubby that schooled me lol..I think I prefer this one, because then you CAN”T be a president with a minority in the senate and the house like Obama, all his agenda are been thwarted, he has to resort to executive order. Imagine, republicans invited Netanyahu to speak on the floor of the senate without the president’s knowledge. I hope history will be vindicate Obama.

• FinchleysFinest

May 8, 2015 at 2:50 pm

cutlass welding gangsters on Election Day? hahaah! I voted at 8pm… We’re busy people … We need to pay bills na abi? lol…
      My Polling station was so quite . I voted for the wrong party and the bad guys cos I didn’t read their manifesto well enough…UKIP… Never ever again….
      Labour all the way.

• spicy

May 9, 2015 at 8:34 am

How in the world did you manage to mistakenly vote for UKIP??As in theee UKIP? Have you been living under a rock these past months?

6. ShineShineShine

May 8, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Just listened to his acceptance speech. He gave credit to his opponents especially Nick Cleg former coalition leader and Ed Milliband whom he described as someone in politics for the right reasons.! I wish our politics were this clean. Where you not only gloat in victory but also, recognize your opponent.

7. Mx Socially Awkward....

May 8, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I voted for the Tories, so let’s see what the next 5 years hold for the UK.

• nike

May 8, 2015 at 1:59 pm

yay, me too. I thought I was the only nigerian. all my family members rooted for Labour

• ShineShineShine

May 8, 2015 at 4:26 pm

But most amazing is the gale that blew away party leaders. The LD. lost woefully while Labours loss is a shock all over. Most people that l know voted labour. I voted labour although l was tempted to vote for “Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol” (Yes, it was a party in contention) Nigel Farrage, Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband all resigned immediately once it became obvious that their parties performance at the poll was humiliating thus paving the way for the injection of fresh ideas by whoever takes over. But in my Naija, it is climb up, seat tight and throw away the ladder. Muazu should have resigned. PDP lost in his state. It is the honorable thing to do.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 8, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Fully agree with you and that was the real triumph of democracy in these UK parliamentary elections. The people made a clear decision about what (or who) they wanted and the political Parties who lost their seats, realised that they needed to go away and rethink their Party strategies. So the first step taken by all the party leaders that suffered defeat was to resign, in order for new leaders with their own fresh vision to step in.

Never so in Nigeria. “Grasp power tightly until death prises it from your fingers” – that’s our own vision.

8. Olori Tari

May 8, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I called it that the polls were exaggerating Labour’s threat to the Tories.

During question time…When Ed Miliband said he wouldn’t want to form partnership with the SNP that’s the moment my hope for Tories skyrocketed. He shouldn’t have…

“Miliband is going to be the prime minister and he is going to outrightly win because we are tired of Cameron’s cutting on welfare benefits” etc..

I replied with “outrightly??…you are going to have to look at the amount of people that are affected by those necessary cuts. Are you part of the people spreading news on what Labour is going to do (none of the lies were in their mandate). Are you only surrounding yourself with those people who have had to go back to their jobs…because if so, you need to look at the other people who say otherwise and SNP is going to cost Labour votes as people in Scotland don’t want Labour” (little did I know 20 years old would beat a Labour candidate too). Now Cameron, the only part I don’t agree is the cutting of welfare for disabled people – fix that!

Most people I know voted Labour and I always had to argue my reasons for swinging the other way to them even when they looked at you like the soulless person who hated he poor…sir, no go fall hand oo!

I feel like a star because depending on what time of the year it is, I’m either here or in Lagos with the privilege to vote. My preferred candidates (Buhari, Cameron) made it in 2015. 2019/2020…I’m ready. ???

9. Hordunayor

May 8, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Wow…. Congrat to him..
    I just spoke with my aunt in manchester, she was not happy at all, she hates cameron like shit***
    Pastor Adeboye has a way of praying for people and they becoming winner, President Jonathan in 2011, Prof. Osinbajo in the last election………..Now David Cameron….. hmmm
    i bless God in the life of this man oooo

10. Anon

May 8, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I’m sad. I abandoned Labour 5 years ago because of Gordon Brown and voted for the Lib Dems. The Con-Dem coalition was a disaster and I went back and voted for Labour yesterday. The party is finished and needs a top to bottom restructuring.

Ha!Ha!! at Nigel Farage. I am surprised UKIP even won 1 seat and it wasn’t even him. I predicted 0 for the party.

Touch times ahead with a Tory majority.

• Anon

May 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Tough times ahead with a Tory majority.

11. C'est moi

May 8, 2015 at 3:35 pm

So glad the torys won. Why anyone would vote Liebour is beyond my comprehension given their past record ruining our great country with their reckless spending and free for all immigration policy, illegal war, Blair & don’t get me started on that complete utter nobhead that lead their party to their rightful disaster. I wish he hadn’t resigned and stayed in power to ensure we never ever have to experience another labour or even socialist govt.

• ShineShineShine

May 8, 2015 at 5:11 pm

@C’est moi, …..”free for all immigration…..Our country….? Hian! I carry a British passport but l am not English! Are you? You, me all of us na immigrants!

• Ilovenaija

May 8, 2015 at 6:16 pm

@ShineShineShine, don’t mind the hypocrite. You blame am? She has been watching too much TV. You can tell from her comments that she does not even know what others are talking about. You voted in your dreams.

• C'est moi

May 8, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Bred out in the British countryside on England’s green and pleasant land 🙂
      I’m all for immigration, in moderation a la the Australian point system. Not the free for all projection that is clogging up system with benefit tourists & getting people drowned at sea for. Unapologetic.

• Anon

May 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Please leave people with their choices. I would never question why anyone voted the Tories despite the fact I can’t stand them. I’ve known my MP for yonks. Been to his office several times and he’s very approachable. So, why not?

Again, don’t ever question anyone’s choice of who they voted for it isn’t your business.

• Warizdiz

May 8, 2015 at 6:09 pm

No mind the wannabe. Everybody dey talk, himself/ herself wan talk. Shebi we know those who know what they are talking about. Major side eye! This same intolerant behavior is why certain people here cuss out others for not sharing their views. Naija jungle behavior.

12. cherry

May 8, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Voted for labour party, I was extremely happy when labour was leading, not until about 5:30 am when the conservatives equalised, so heartbroken no more hope for post study visa……

• Shobie

May 8, 2015 at 5:19 pm

@Cherry, U voted? So, what do you need post study visa for?

• Ijos

May 8, 2015 at 8:26 pm

As commonwealth country members resident here even as student you can vote.

13. polypoly

May 8, 2015 at 5:11 pm

No Shade to my brits but yall election process is SOOOO Boring!!! geez, from the lack of finesse and pump by your politicians to the unmoved voters….haba, no concerts, major celebs wearing Tees/ logos…or maybe the world doesn’t care about UK much.

small naija election process had soo much drama and pump attached to it that it was mentioned by the big media houses in the US daily. we didn’t start hearing about UK elections till Wednesday nite. I tried to watch everyday but fell asleep, I guess US election tracking and shiibang is just soo much more captivating.

And why did the POLLs say one person would win by a landslide, only for the wrong person to win…..LOL!!! Americans will never make such mistake, smh

• Shopperoflife

May 8, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Yeah right? Such monumental mistake. No one really saw the last minute upset and the SNP coming. The Exit Poll was so wrong. I was listening to some analysis this afternoon and the wrong poll was attributed to Labour talking to only young people. Much older English people, kept quiet on which party they were voting for. So, that distorted the accuracy/result of the exit poll. Funny ‘cos when l asked a Jamaican Brit who he was voting for, he said labour as the Cons is “white and rich people’s party”. I agreed totally and l had my reservation if really the owners of the country would allow Ed the son of an immigrant to lead them. Britain is not America and the status quo must be maintained l guess.

• Anon

May 8, 2015 at 10:25 pm

It has got nothing to do with being the son of immigrants. Most of these old school boys have that background. Besides he has a Jewish background which the establishment loves. Other dynamics were at play. As usual you must bring race into it. Myopic.

• OGADINMA

May 9, 2015 at 8:42 am

I totally agree with you. Britain is very very conservative. I also had reservations if truly the English will by any chance allow Ed. America is a liberal society which Britain is not.. Even in America, Obama did well becos and only becos he is half white. If he were totally black, there was no way he would have been President. When these societies welcome immigrants, they also know they have to protect their own. If you ask me, l did not see Ed going further than being the leader of a party. Well, lets see if this changes when and if a time comes when the next Labour leader is not a first or second generation immigrant. To think otherwise in my opinion is pitifully childish.

• shineShineShine

May 9, 2015 at 9:46 am

Shopper, You know that is serious food for thot. Race is something we all shy away from talking about all in the quest to be politically correct. I rummaged over this and l ask myself, just if just Ed were a Chinese second generation immigrant would he have any foothold at all?. If Ed were Ochuko with my skin colour and woolly hair like mine and a second generation immigrant would he have gone this far? The young educated English (Emphasis on Educated) might be a tad bit forgiving and accommodating but when push comes to shove, what are the odds that a second, third etc generation son/daughter of an immigrant could be PM in England? But then, Ed became leader of the Labour party and could very well have become PM yesterday! Food for thot indeed. Hnm, just maybe the Topic for my PhD Thesis should be “The Role of Race in British Politics”. Only problem is, l like Kudi too much. Wetin PhD go fetch in the market except contribute to intellectual discuss which by the way, ain’t gonna pay no bills!!!

• Olori Tari

May 8, 2015 at 7:45 pm

“And why did the POLLs say one person would win by a landslide, only for the wrong person to win…..LOL!!! Americans will never make such”….hahahaahaha, did you even open these so called polls?

AT NO POINT did anybody win landslide. It’s a shock to some because they thought it was going to be a minority government like 2010 at the most…not a majority government led by Cameron. It was always neck to neck between Conservative and Labour. But in those polls, they stated that 1 in 10 people were indecisive even till the last minute which is major! The difference is the thousands of people who were indecisive and Cameron managed to win their hearts at the last minute. If you interview the people that chose who they were voting for on the day…4 out of 5 would probably say they went for conservative. All thanks to the fear of Labour/SNP coalition that Cameron managed to plant in the hearts of people in England.

British politics is the old school type of politics, though ‘boring’ as many say (I don’t necessarily agree because I enjoyed my election period euphoria) BUT I respect it. I can understand having town hall meetings, going on trains, taking selfies as acknowledged by Miliband in his resignation speech, knocking on people’s doors but concerts? FOR WHAT exactly? I like Nigerian politics but this Is the way things should be done to me…no unnecessary hype with a lot of money being wasted on irrelevant things. I’m sure some of y’all will be shocked when you google how much they spent in comparison to other countries. YET, our turnout was better 🙂

14. Sisi

May 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Heartbroken much, I really wanted Labour to win

15. Ephi

May 8, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Seems I’m the only one who didn’t vote *covers face*

16. Luqman

May 8, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Labour has always been fair to the immigrants, so i could understand why most foreigners do support them. In fact, four years no be moin moin to deal with the conservative conservatively. They are not that so flexible at all to foreigners when it comes to the passing of referendums, but I could understand their stance cos they are experiencing some kind of pressure from their EU counterparts, which prompted David Cameron to hold a meeting with German Chancellor (Angela Merkel) sometime ago in order to pull out from EU. Germany has one of the best economies in the whole of Europe, but most people still prefer to go to UK bcos of the language barrier and all the opportunities that the country offers.
    African leaders should work collectively for the betterment and the growth of Africa rather than subjecting our people to the hardship some people are facing in western world. I don’t even know the benefit and the importance of having AU while someone coming from Romanian to UK would even benefit more than the British

Europe of today no be like Europe of yesterday

• Luqman

May 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Romania

17. Becca

May 9, 2015 at 1:44 am

Poor labour, the floating voters they were hoping for weren’t able to come on board in time, some did not make it at all such a tragedy. Perhaps come 2020 they ‘ll prop up their numbers with an influx of new supporters. http://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BBC-photo-cred-600×282.png

18. Shopperoflife

May 9, 2015 at 11:26 am

@Anon, this secondary school pedestrian tunnel vision won’t get you far o. There is something called probability. Learn to think out of the box – occasionally.