Scoop

What’s Next for Dolapo Oni? Her Own Show! All You Need to Know About “The Marcy Project”

Marcy Dolapo Oni on The Marcy Project - Bellanaija - May 2015

Guess who’s got her own show? It’s TV personality Marcy Dolapo Oni!

After securing her expert presenting skills on shows like 53 Extra and Ebony Life‘s Moments With Mo, Dolapo has gotten her own TV show – “The Marcy Project” which will start airing on DSTV‘s Africa Magic on 30th May at 4PM.

So what’s the show about? It’s a 30-minute lifestyle & entertainment program that mixes web features, pre-recorded video footage and of course, fashion tips. In the course of the show Dolapo will interview upcoming acts and celebs from various industries, and carry out interesting projects as suggested by viewers, social media followers and guests.

Naturally, Dolapo is very excited about the new show and we are too. Commenting on her new venture she said – “I’ve always wanted to have my own talk show and I know I wanted something that would be true to myself as well as show a different side of me that people rarely get to see. The idea came about in December 2013 and I told myself my show would be on air by 2015.

The title “The Marcy Project” came before the idea of the actual show. Marcy being my first name and the idea of me participating in a weekly project to add that to the show. It feels great to see it all coming together.

Marcy Dolapo Oni on The Marcy Project - Bellanaija - May 2015001

Dolapo, who is the director of production company – Lightbulb Productions will also serve as the Executive Producer and Creator of “The Marcy Project”.

Marcy Dolapo Oni on The Marcy Project - Bellanaija - May 2015002

Dolapo add this to her many roles in the entertainment industry, including her new role in the highly anticipated Desperate Housewives series set to air soon.

Congratulations to her and we can’t wait to see the show!

1. jessy

May 11, 2015 at 11:43 am

Am I the only one that thinks creativity is dead in the media. Seriously that is what she came up with for a new show??? SMH

• bruno

May 11, 2015 at 11:56 am

@jessy.
      LOOOOOOOOOL. nigerians are the least creative people on the planet.

• Beeeee

May 11, 2015 at 12:29 pm

You are not the only one o. And isn’t this the same concept as 53 extra, and jara and star gist and……….smh too

• Engoz

May 11, 2015 at 2:12 pm

But what if that is what she’s good at?

2. Tequi

May 11, 2015 at 11:47 am

Oh! how i love dolapo. Good steps taken. Well done.

3. Nne

May 11, 2015 at 11:59 am

I love dolapo…… all the best dear….

I see your point a bit @jessy…. the talk show market is getting saturated but the pool is big enough… let everyone get their coins how they see fit

• tangerine

May 11, 2015 at 1:16 pm

In America alone they have The View, The Real, The Talk, Wendy Williams, Kelly & Michael and many others that are all doing well. I don’t think the market is saturated, we just need someone to raise the bar really high here. The closest we have to a decent talk show is Moments with Mo but there’s still much that could be improved. Is Marcy up to the task? I doubt it but I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.

4. Tosin

May 11, 2015 at 12:05 pm

dunno her but yipppeee. hope she works her ass off and makes a great go of it.

5. ronke

May 11, 2015 at 12:18 pm

wow. welldone! Gods got your back!

6. Ari

May 11, 2015 at 12:28 pm

As if we do not have enough of such pointless shows.
    It will be the same guests we see in all the other similar shows.
    Who exactly approves these shows on DSTV?

7. Gistyinka Blog

May 11, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Whoa nice step Dolapo. I really admire your hustle and creativity you put in place, when you are still with Ebony Life‘s Moments With Mo.

Congrats to you Girl, you Rock..

8. Miss Ify

May 11, 2015 at 12:49 pm

While I think this is a commendable effort, I have to ask whether there aren’t a lot of people in broadcasting. It’s like the same people over and over and over again are hosting all the shows on TV. Name almost TV personality, and they have at least 3 different programs they’re on.

• Chinelo

May 11, 2015 at 1:59 pm

It’s the same people because they don’t give people outside their clique an opportunity to break in… There are more talented people out there who haven’t been given a chance because they lack connections aka “leg”.

• nene

May 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

gbam

9. Fatimah

May 11, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I am more interested in the ‘project’ bit, what kind of projects? Charity?

10. tunmi

May 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm

How about a comedy satire show like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, Bill Maher

• Confuzzled

May 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm

What I’d pay good money to see is a Nigerian version of Cheaters. Like, they should make Yemi Alade’s Johnny music video theme into a full blown show lol. It’d be a hit! (PS if this actually happens I’m coming for my share oooo!!)

Somehow I doubt the average Nigerian is ready for cerebral or satirical shows like the Daily Show, etc. Check out the style of comedians that are popular in Nigeria and I’m sure you’ll agree with me. We generally like our comedy to be a little more obvious and a little less thought provoking. Sad.

• tunmi

May 12, 2015 at 8:14 pm

lmao yesss!!!! A Naija Cheaters or Maury!!!

• Miss Anonymous

May 13, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Ah! Satire ke?! Nigerians aren’t mature enough for those shows o!!!

11. prince

May 11, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Good one there but you just have to meet the expectations of not Nigerians only but African at large. You’re an amazing person, I never get tired of watching you on Ebonylive. God bless your hustle

12. lati

May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm

So you want to study to become a doctor or lawyer. Wooooh! Or a new News TV station comes. How Creative.
    We just like criticizing in this country sha. Must one do something that has never been seen to be creative? She’s seems to be adding a twist to it with the ‘project’ part. That seems creative. And the Nigerian market isn’t saturated at all, especially when it comes to raising the bar.
    So someone started season soaps/movies. So? Does that mean others aren’t creative?
    Besides, these guys have different target audiences, depending on preference. As popular as Wendy is, some people just don’t watch her show, but will watch Ellen’s because they are a quite different. For me, the only Nigerian entertainment show I watch is Jara. While someone else may enjoy drowning in the accents of 53Extra hosts. So, it’s a free world.
    Welcome on board Marcy. There’s enough space for you and more.

• Ari

May 12, 2015 at 6:31 am

I find your comment slightly worrying.
      The market is truly saturated with these types of shows.
      Same content, same guests and same topics.
      How can you say there is more space for same of this?
      If an unknown came with this pitch will DSTV grant him/her audience?
      That DSTV is due for a probe. The man know man there is worrying.

13. nene

May 11, 2015 at 8:48 pm

most nigerian tv shows are boring. to have a great show, you need to interact, have a great sense of humour, non judgemental and be approachable. look at fungi iyanda and agatha amata. every other talk show in nigeria is boring. i don’t think dolapo is funny or approachable, she’s more of a reserved person.

• ...just saying

May 12, 2015 at 7:45 am

Lol! And their shows are dead! There’s no fast or straight lane love

14. Zee

May 11, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Watch her succeed! For someone who moved from being a presenter to owning her own show, I think this is great!
    Looking forward to it. All the best!!

15. Dame Marian

May 13, 2015 at 9:07 am

Good!wish you all the very best……