Style

BN Beauty: Get Inspired with 10 Natural Hair Ideas from Teyonah Parris!

When it comes to Natural Hair, we all learn from each other. Whether it’s getting detangling advice from our 4C sisters, or learning how to get more definition in a Bantu Knot Out. For Natural Hair, inspiration and information are everything.

With these two things in mind, BN Beauty is here with some fabulous #TeamNatural hairstyles from one of the women who make #TeamWeave rethink their tracks – Teyonah Parris.

She’s a Black Hollywood actress that loves to experiment with her hair and trusts some of the beauty industry’s finest to get her red carpet ready. Her favourite stylist? The ‘Natural Hair Whisperer’ – Felicia Leatherwood who has a client list that includes names like Nicole Ari Parker, Ava DuVernay and loads more.

So ladies, as the weekend beckons, here are some hairstyles to inspire you for a fab new look! And if your hair is relaxed, there are some you can rock too!

Enjoy!

1. 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards
This is by far one of the most reposted Natural hairstyles in a long time. This intricate pompadour was created by Felicia for the SAG Awards and definitely made Teyonah stand out of the crowd. It’s basically a 2 part pompadour finished off in a mo-hawk and low bun.

So fabulous. I’m sure you can rock it too – just try!

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015004 BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015001 (1)

2. Essence Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon
There are updos and there are updos! This beautiful and sleek look rocked the Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon and gave Teyonah a classic and pretty look.

I love the size of the bun and you can achieve this with some Kinky extensions or stretching out your hair, and finishing it off with a jumbo braid.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015008

3. 46th Annual NAACP Image Awards
I think this is what you get when a pompadour and an updo get together. Teyonah’s crown was literally made of hair as she rocked this vintage look to the 46th NAACP Image awards.

It will take loads of bobby pins, but looking at the end-result makes it so worth it.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015007

4. ELLE’s 21st Annual Woman in Hollywood Celebration – Cocktail
Let’s blow out! This look is very fun – and that’s all thanks to her jumbo twist braid and stretched out hair. This is a great Summer look that can be dressed up or down for loads of fun activities.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015006

5. 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards
You’re going to need some extensions for this one. At the Emmys, Teyonah rocked a fab protective style with a detailed braided bun. With interwoven twists and warps, this look is clean and poised and is great for protecting your ends.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015005

6. GBK Productions Luxury Lounge Honoring The Best in TV
Is it weird that this is my favourite look? It can be achieved by doing a braid out on stretched or blow dried hair; just remember to tease the hair so you have more volume. You can also just get some good ‘ol Kinky extensions to save time. It’s full, fun and fierce!

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015002

7. 2014 Summer TCA Tour Day 4
Say hello to simple beauty. I think this look is so effortless and works great as a protective style. All you need to do is create 2 loose twists and end them up in a side bun. For longevity, you can use bobby pins to keep it in place. Easy!

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015003

8. AMC Celebrates The Season 7 Premiere of “Mad Men”
You know that time you tried the Bantu Knot Out and it didn’t work out quite as you’d hoped? Now, you can easily turn it into this.

Simply park your hair all the way to the front of your head, hold it in place with some pins and toussle your curled ends around till satisfied.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June20150010

9. Kari Feinsten Style Lounge Day 2
Have on braids? Not to worry – you can rock this intricate updo. Create several jumbo twists with your individual twists, park them in a high bun and wrap them together towards the front of your head.

It’s easy and you can rock and re-rock this look everyday.

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June20150011

10. Dear White People Portraits – 2014 Sundance Film Festival
It’s simple, I know. But sometimes you only something’s beauty when it’s on someone else. These basic twists have been pulled to the side for that effortless “I Woke Up Like This” look that anyone can rock!

BN Beauty Teyonah Parris Natural Hair Inspiration - Bellanaija - June2015009

***

FAB! Hey, which look is your favourite and which would you be willing to try?

Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

June 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm

HMM…IF I HAD MIXED TEXTURE HAIR LIKE HER, RELAXER WILL NOT TOUCH MY HAIR. BEAUTIFUL NATURAL WOMAN.

• Damilola

June 19, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I’m not mixed and I have the same texture. Our hair come in different textures. And sometimes certain products can help bring out a softer manageable texture or even make it more coarse. It’s all about finding what works for you.
      Her hair is absolutely beautiful.

• Nuna

June 19, 2015 at 9:07 pm

She’s not mixed

2. bruno FIERCE

June 19, 2015 at 1:43 pm

this woman that has a very nasty attitude.

black girls with attitude are the worst. so ugly. u know ur selves. when a man now hit’s u, u will start claiming victim of domestic violence

I don’t care for her hair because of her terrible black girl attitude

• polypoly

June 19, 2015 at 3:28 pm

gurl pull out a seat and quench!!! geeez, have u gotten a US visa yet??? till then please hush, cos u aint met the sistah before…..chaille bye!!!

Black women are beautiful QUEENS hunnay and u wish u were one…..sorry boo, we may like the same thing but just know that Black WOMEN are not in competition with you. please allow us to breathe….na wetin sef??? you are always coming for us, despite how much we appreciate our ghey queens.

• Shandi

June 19, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Do you ever say anything nice, positive and logical?

• Dom

June 21, 2015 at 3:48 pm

No he doesn’t. He does not know what nice, positive and logical mean.

• Egbami

June 20, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Dude you need a psychiatrist with this internalized hatred of yours. I am sure people on BN will be willing to pitch in for your treatment. We can set up a gofundme page for you. Oniranu

• Dom

June 21, 2015 at 3:49 pm

And I will be the first to pitch in.

3. Rubynnia

June 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Natural hair is so lovely but the sad thing is most ladies don’t know how to take care of it.

One thing that gets me pissed is the amount of money spent in buying natural hair care products.

All we need to take care of our natural mane is in our kitchen.

• Shandi

June 19, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Nicely said. However, not all items are in our kitchen. I’ll let you know that is false.

• Jennifer Nyesom

June 19, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Pls can you list them or send me a mail on [email protected] As in the cost of these products are killing

• blaque pearl

July 7, 2015 at 11:39 am

pretty straightforward
      ur water bottle aka spiritz bottle is a daily regimen( morng & eveng sef) u shuldnt trifle with (u can add drops of olive oil& coconut oil like i do ) shey u dey chop everyday ? ur hair must wack kwa!
      shea butter aka ori
      shocking but true local kernel oil
      olive oil (preferably cold pressed great on ur skin too, abeg not #250 adulterated goya oil mbok! if u can find rafael salgado in ph ,that’s your best bet! its amazeballls!!! )
      coconut oil ( could link u with some sellers or u can make this urself either by heat extracion or cold pressed ,could mail u the process later but u must gat flenty flenty kowkownut northern accent).
      honey( au naturelle hair loves it some hunnay gurrrl!!)
      raw eggs too come in handy (thats for a protein treatment process ooh not daily regimen.LOL b4 u wander off smelling like heaven knows wat).
      avocado pear shouldnt be excluded from the list.
      local black soap for washing your hair clarifies u hair crazaaay & leaves it squeaky clean.
      If u can gain mastery of all d above mentioned dearie , u’d thank me lera.
      On hw to manipulate all of the above, google is ya best friend! Ciao!

• Jhennique

June 22, 2015 at 3:25 pm

No true maa’m. Not everything isin our kitchen

4. Berry Dakara

June 19, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Number 7’s my favorite! That’s weird too because I generally prefer big hair.

• Sjaneviel from Suriname

June 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Yessss…..it´s also my favorite

5. Elle

June 19, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I so love Teyonah and her natural hair just does it for me.

6. Busarni

June 19, 2015 at 2:54 pm

for a moment , I almost thought nse ikpe etim

• LotusFlower

June 19, 2015 at 3:11 pm

She does look a bit like Nse. They’re both beautiful women.

7. teekay

June 19, 2015 at 3:04 pm

is this really a 4c hair, it looks more like a 4b but all the same its nice

• Jenny

June 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

The author of this post clearly isn’t accurate with her information. My hair is 4c, so I know this isn’t 4c. She’s most likely 4a or 4b, it’s a lot more manageable than 4c.

• Shalsl

June 20, 2015 at 6:36 am

That is actually a 4c hair, if u look at some of the images like no 7 its cleared to see, they were probably texturized, when I do so to my 4c hair it looks just like that and I’m not mixed neither is she, its all about hair care.

8. Strawberrycandy

June 19, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Her hair is beautiful!…..tempting….but I know i ain’t got the time or patience to care for natural hair.

9. RoseMary

June 19, 2015 at 4:11 pm

any akata that tells you they are 4c dont believe them.
    every one of them has at least 1% white blood in them that even they dont know. Their great great great great great great grandmother most likely was mixed, and they dont know.

Like my fav girl whom i follow cos her videos are nice, she saids her parents and grandparents are both black and she showed images to proof, and its true, but then i said to myself “Girl your great grandMOM 10 generations ago was half white, ut you wouldn’t know that would you. ?? Its ok to be in denial, if you dont know.

• Nuna

June 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm

You should look up Joulezy and look at her hair. Thousands of African Americans have 4c hair and I know many Nigerians with 3b and 3c hair. I should know because I have 3c hair and I am completely Igbo. No mix

• OG

August 16, 2015 at 9:59 am

Really RoseMary? I am a “fully black’ Ijebu Nigerian with long 4c/the ‘hardest’ hair type hair, down my back (when stretched). Why are some people so backward in their thinking? Afro hair grows and is beautiful but like anything worth having, hard work and TLC is a must, not ‘white’ DNA!. Don’t try to determine someone’s ethnicity using your own ignorance. Sometimes these girls wear hair extensions too. There are some very good synthetic Afro hair extensions out there you know! All ethinicities have ‘good hair’. Just gotta take the time to know and look after your (real) hair, no excuses! ;D

10. RoseMary

June 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

that girl i follow for hair care tips is @mahoganycurls.
    Very nice girl she is

11. Nene

June 19, 2015 at 4:12 pm

No. 10 is so easy and looks nice. Seeking new ways to rock my dreads.

12. Mabel

June 19, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Bella! These were very stimulating hairdos, very stimulating.

13. omawunmi

June 19, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I don’t understand when people say natural hair products are expensive. it depends on what you are chasing. i have been natural for almost 4 years. I have serious 4c hair and i only use olive oil, coconut oil and Shea butter on my hair. Dazz all!!
    After I wash my hair with baking soda i rinse of with apple cider vinegar. if i don’t have these at home I use my kids regular shampoo. i don’t take any rules seriously except the no heat rule. i have never ever even dried my hair with a dryer. while the beginning stage of being natural was very difficult, it is the easiest way of life for me now as my hair is almost bra strap length and much more easy to manage.

ps.
    people really need to stop talking about “mixed people’s” hair, our own very african hair is just as beautiful

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

June 22, 2015 at 11:17 am

When you purchase branded products, its actually a much more expensive fare. Some may argue that using products from your kitchen works equally well. I did that for about a year and while i would not say that my hair did not grow, it was not at the speed, fullness and richness I have experienced in the last 11 months since I started using branded products. I was quite the mixtress and very adventurous. But what I think is that you don’t always get the best of these fruits or teas in their natural occurring state. It’s like sucking orange and drinking orange juice: The concentration of the latter is greater than the former.

There are products that are budget friendly but I think most people are not patient with the spate of growth. They are constantly googling and staring at some naturalista’s hair. Then they abandon what has worked before in search of the great afro fleece when they learn of a new regimen.

The more expensive brands are Miss Jessie’s, and BeeMine. I’ve used Miss Jessie ‘s and I must say it was worth every kobo of the 12k I paid for it but I wont be going there again. BeeMine makes her products in her kitchen and you have to pre order. The other products like Cantu, Shea Moisture, or Curly kids may be cheaper but come in smaller quantities. You can invest in the Tressemme line. Their products come in big bottles and can last for up to 6 months and cost under 4 thousand. For shampoo, Dudu Osun ain’t never failed no one. As for oils, Castor oil is a good choice as well and since it is quite thick, you get to mix it with a lighter oil and stretch its use for up to 8 months and it does not have to be with Trader Joes Coconut oil.
      And as always, thank God for Henna.

• blaque pearl

July 7, 2015 at 11:41 am

sweerie how does that henna coloring work ,afear is catching me to experiment with . what has ur experience so far whilst using it . biko knack me tory ..really wanna give it a try & any idea where i can get in abj ?

• OG

August 16, 2015 at 9:50 am

I agree. I am Nigerian with long 4c/the ‘hardest’ hair type hair. Why are some people so backward in their thinking? Afro hair grows and is beautiful but like anything worth having, had work and TLC is a must, not ‘white’ DNA!. Don’t try to determine someone’s ethnicity using your own ignorance. Sometimes these girls wear hair extensions too. There are some very good synthetic Afro hair extensions out there! All ethinicities have ‘good hair’. Just gotta take the time to know your (real) hair, no excuses! ;D

14. Mrs Roks

July 7, 2015 at 10:18 pm

I wrote a comment on alternative hair care on a budget, that works. But for some reason BY did not post it.