Style

#ThePowerofMakeup: Viral Makeup Trend Shows Women Posting Half-Finished Selfies to Stand Against Makeup Shamers

BellaNaija Beauty ThePowerofMakeup Instagram User MUA.p - BellaNaija - June2015

If you’ve been seeing loads of women on your timeline with half made-up faces, not to worry it’s not a glitch – it’s a trend!

Earlier on this month, beauty blogger – Nikkie Tutorials , posted an inspiring video on #ThePowerofMakeup specifically to keep ‘makeup shamers’ (Individuals against makeup) at bay. In the video she explains how those who are ‘anti-makeup’ may think women who wear makeup either have self-acceptance issues or are insecure, but in reality, these women might just love makeup’s enhancing ability or love putting on lipsticks and mascara. Sometimes makeup is just fun!

Nikkie Tutorials

Nikkie Tutorials

Since then, her video not only has over 18 Million views on Youtube, and has been a source of inspiration for women who have difficulty with wearing makeup for the fear of being shamed for it, but it has also started a world-wide trend with the #ThePowerofMakeup tag.

Women of all races, ages and skin types have taken to Twitter and Instagram to share their half-finished selfies with the of showing how makeup is only an extension of who you are.

See a few that definitely make a statement.

MakeupMeJordyn

MakeupMeJordyn

@Sokol_Rostov

@Sokol_Rostov

KiKiChic_Makeup

KiKiChic_Makeup

@SigmaBeauty

@SigmaBeauty

***

What do you think BellaNaijarians?

Watch Nikki’s video below;

Photo Credit: @MakeupMeJordyn | @MUA.p | @Sokol_Rostov | @Kikichic_Makeup | @SigmaBeauty via @CallMeVD

1. polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Girl #1 is soooo pretty and didn’t need makeup sef…..BLACK wome YOU ARE PRETTY!!!!! lawd, why do we subject ourselves to white beauty standards tho…..like why???

btw – Naija MUAs abi whatever, can yall chill out on the caking….like geez!!! naija makeup is like 10 layers of chemicals on a humans face.

• jackey

June 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

YOU NEED TO CHILL!!!! There you go again ranting. As a Nigerian woman I do not subject myself to “white” standards of beauty.
      Nigerian MUA are doing a GREAT job. They should be celebrated. Your negativity geez

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 7:57 pm

A hit dog will holler….. oh hey there Jackie Aina!! bye Felicia!!! don’t hate on us gurls dat feel beautiful in our fresh face.
      every Saturday you will see brides looking very different from what we knew them to look like. makeup slapped on the face like wth….when they wake up on Saturday the yeye pancake will be washed off, only for the husband to see d real her….smh

• Lovin this

June 30, 2015 at 1:05 am

Watched the video wowwwwww make up really transforms!!!! Love the tips

2. Californiabawlar

June 29, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Lmao!! Which one is makeup shakers again?! Slut shaming, body shaming…I’m coming to the conclusion that advancement in the human race has plateaued and a steady decline has began….how else do we have so much time in our hands for such frivolity?

• polypoly

June 29, 2015 at 4:42 pm

lemme add “blog comments shaming” ….LOL!!!! I get harassed for speaking in my urban lingo….hhahaha

• charles

June 29, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Sickening to say the least.

3. Leah

June 29, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I love makeup like any other girl, but most of these women look way better before the makeup. That freckle face lady looks so gorgeous without the makeup.

4. cindy

June 29, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Is people like you they are trying to shut up! See hypocrisy o. Are you not a homosexuality advocate? How is anyone’s make up hurting you? Is it your business what someone decides to do with their body? Some people wear make up just for the fun of it or because they are trying to give a specific statement/look/aura for an event. Sometimes it is to look innocent, sometimes bitchy etc, and not because they have self esteem issues. And even if it is for esteem issues, wouldn’t you be a better human if you try to build their esteem instead of further tearing it down? You only criticise something when it doesn’t suit you. Abeg park well.

5. dobzi

June 29, 2015 at 5:18 pm

6. FasholasLover

June 29, 2015 at 5:21 pm

When you chop belle stupid, you hv time on your hands for nansense. The oyinbo priority and ours are totally at variance. In Naija, our women love wearing make up. Go to the markets and let the pepper seller put you to shame with her face beat and hipster. Pls. Nobody gats time for this. Wear makeup if you like, no wear if you don’t. Which one is make up shaming?

BN NEXT!

7. SpeakAndForeverHoldYaTruth

June 29, 2015 at 7:12 pm

i love it, lets see all those nigerian so called celebrities do same if they are bold enough.

WILL THE REAL NAIJA WOMEN STAND UP, LETS SEE THE REAL YOU, NO MAKE UP NO WEAVES

But then again , please dont want to see your real face, Halloween is not till November. Spare us the scary stuff, We understand all the metamorphosis of makeup NECESSARY for you sha.

8. SpeakAndForeverHoldYaTruth

June 29, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I nominate Tiwa Savage to dare do this 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Ninjachic

June 30, 2015 at 12:18 am

Seen her many times without make up – she actually looks much prettier natural that I wonder why she cakes up so much. I guess she’s not convinced.

• chi-e-z

June 30, 2015 at 3:50 am

tiwa is beautiful with or without she has a baby-ish face at times when w/o

• chi-e-z

June 30, 2015 at 3:50 am

early fans know this

Tomisin Magz

June 30, 2015 at 10:57 am

You shouldn’t have! Tiwa is pretty without makeup

9. Lade

June 29, 2015 at 9:43 pm

To be sincere make up is good. Slight some tinz here and there. But! There’s nothing like a woman comfortable in her own skin. I had self esteem issues, bad one. From age 16 as soon as I was out of my mother’s sight make up became my cocaine. Do you know the more I put, the more I wanted to put. The more make up I used the more I thought I looked too basic. I would look at celebrities magazine shoot, just to know what the latest cosmetic invention was. Immediately I was sent money by my parents, I’m running to Mac store. When the money was going down steady, I resorted to drug stores. At 18, when anybody saw me they thought I was in my mid 20s. It wasn’t funny oo. I started looking ugly to myself with all the makeup. What changed the whole saga was when I was to go back to for holiday. I removed my weaves, piercings, did Ghana weaving(which I detested) because I didn’t want my dad to disgrace me at the airport(he already did it to my elder sister). Couple of days before I was to go back, I had this graduate student stop at my house(male). I was supposed to make some kind of pamphlet for the ASA, so he came to see the soft copy, He actually didn’t recognize me. He said “tell lade, I’ll be back or to just email it.” I said ” yo, what do you mean, come in and see it.” He said “lade?!” Thats when I realized I wasn’t putting on make up. All through out his visit, he was just staring at me. When he was about to go, he said “I’m sorry, do not take offence but this is the best I have seen you look, hell you don’t even look like you.” I still used make up after that but on few occasions and I made sure it was neutral/nude. Like I said make up is great but it becomes overtop, when you have problem convincing immigration that, you and the the passport picture are the same. Please ladies take it easy.

10. Bella

June 30, 2015 at 10:33 am

Like all things in life, everything should be done in moderation and only when necessary. Your skin needs to breathe and self confidence is key, no one out there is perfect, can we all just remember that! Make up is just an addition /extension of your already beautiful skin. Taking care of oneself and regular beauty regime treatments and a healthy diet and mind also help. Caking stuff all over your so you become a totally different person is bordering on some personal issues! Can we take am easy o.

11. Tomisin Magz

Tomisin Magz

June 30, 2015 at 11:02 am

*rolls up my sleeves* lol! There are actually people who like doing makeup just for the fun of it…..yep! i am one of them. I am a makeup person and I’ve never denied it. tho i don’t see the sense in tagging some peeps as “makeup shamers’! Really!
    I love makeup doesn’t mean I’m addicted to it. i can go without makeup, even to work; i mean, not even powder. and when i do makeup, i do not do it because of guys or other ladies, i do it for myself and it depends on how I’m feeling that day!

But na wa for this “makeup shamers” tag o….lol

12. Zeal

June 30, 2015 at 3:47 pm

some of us just love to play with colors, shekina. #Nigeriansaretooparanoid

13. Aleksandert

August 18, 2015 at 9:45 am

#ThePowerOfMakeup video goes viral.