Style

BN Beauty: One for the Naturalistas! Achieve a Soft & Defined Flat Twist Out with Donedo

Donedo Natural Hair Tutorial - BellaNaija - July2015004

I love natural hair. Not only does it help you be more attentive to your hair, it’s needs and character, it also gives you the avenue to create some amazing styles you didn’t think were possible.

Youtuber, Donna of Donedo is a very expressive Naturalista – she’s gone from purple to hot pink and red and even blue hair, and loves to experiment with her looks. So she’s great when it comes to dishing out new looks with her hair. Today, we are looking to her for some #NaturalHairInspiration.

Donedo Natural Hair Tutorial - BellaNaija - July2015003 Donedo Natural Hair Tutorial - BellaNaija - July2015002 Donedo Natural Hair Tutorial - BellaNaija - July2015 Donedo Natural Hair Tutorial - BellaNaija - July2015001

She has some great tips for creating a soft and defined flat twist out hairstyle that will take you from a bad hair day to a great hair day!

Enjoy!

Photo Credit: @Donedo (Instagram)

1. cheryl

July 24, 2015 at 2:19 pm

nyc!!! i like, i really wanna knw, can i make my hair natural by jst outgrowing d permed part and not relaxing d hair again, or do i need to start from d scatch? cos d fear of nt being able to grow my hair after cutting it is wearing me out

• Ashley

July 24, 2015 at 3:25 pm

The option is yours. Most people I know transitioned by outgrowing the permed part, cutting it and continuing with the new growth. Even though they said they found it hard to maintain.

• kennie

July 24, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Yes you can dear with a lot of patience and tender loving care you would achieve good results. I did just that for 11 months and my hair came out very healthy.

• Blessed

July 24, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Hellooooo,

i cut all of my hair, like almost skin cut last year June and i am happy i did. i was afraid it wasnt going to grow but my hair surprised me. my hair is one year and some weeks now and its so full, thick and long.

so dont be afraid but BE VERY READY to be PATIENT! youtube videos will help you alot. take care

2. EllesarisEllendil

July 24, 2015 at 3:07 pm

What do I know, but phase 1 looked better.

July 24, 2015 at 4:08 pm

You are not alone

• Lilo

July 25, 2015 at 9:09 am

Not every natural hair type will come out looking like this. Can my 4C sisters say amen?

• Dee

July 26, 2015 at 7:07 am

AMEN Sister…lool

3. Uju Lilian Ikegbune

July 24, 2015 at 3:44 pm

very nice, am trying it out on my short natural hair

4. Blessed

July 24, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Amazing but not for me. Thats how i treated my hair, deep-conditioned and twisted it with special care. i tied my hair with silk scarf as usual. i woke up in the morning and carefully arranged the curls and they were well defined and so i went to school.. it takes one hour to get to my school. as i got to the gate, i met a fellow school mate who asked me, “what happened to your hair? in my mind, i said he doesnt understand natural hair and i smiled outwardly

Much later, i noticed that more people were looking at me and i was feeling so good as a natural hair girl.. i naw added more confidence to my gait, shaking my waist side to side and just feeling very blessed.

i entered bus to return home and immediately, i sat down, i say make i look my reflection! i couldnt believe my EYES! na so so JESU JESU, i just dey shout. i be like wen just wake up, no comb hair, like person wen no well, like say small kolo just start! No single definition, just like …infact, i dont how to explain.

this means that all my curls returned to original state in less than an hour for that boy to ask me question at the gate. i no see cry cry. from that day till now, i have never tried it again, if its not puff or the hair is together, mehn, aint going nowhere.

i do love my hair.

• onetallgirl

July 24, 2015 at 6:23 pm

@Blessed my sista sorry o! U don try small! Next time try twisting your hair with a pomade or styling gel or a holding gel. First wash your hair then put your leave-in conditioner and put a styling gel like an edge control gel then twist. Your twist no dey puff again!

• Blessed

July 24, 2015 at 11:25 pm

thanks love…that next time go far sha. i never recover yet but i will keep your lovely tips in mind…[email protected] no go dey puff again, AMEN ooo my sisteh

you are tall girl tru tru? iyam a tall girl too oooo. oya chop knuckles. hehheh 🙂

• Lola

July 24, 2015 at 8:02 pm

It was the humidity that caused it I think

• Blessed

July 25, 2015 at 12:05 am

my sisteh, hummy nor even plenty like that, that day but it e join plus the texture of hair i have too. both of them just ganged up against my swag 😀

• Carliforniabawlar

July 24, 2015 at 9:21 pm

hahaha!! two things:
      1. Humidity
      2.Curl definition gel e.g. Ecostyler or kinky curly curling custard

lets make it 3 things
      3. How did you go for so long without checking yourself out in the mirror? My sister, you get mind o….hehehe

• Blessed

July 25, 2015 at 12:16 am

Hahahhahahhhahha. mind yasef oooo.
      i am very interested in that your number 3. this your babe na one kian geh. na now i dey learn girly things and i just like my peace of mind nia make i dey do simple styles like puff and cornrows PLUS over coughindense say i do style for the first time and e make sense not knowing say na SET-UP. will i try myself again? who am I to do such? Lovely weekend to you!

• Morenike

July 24, 2015 at 9:46 pm

You got me in stiches! I almost woke my baby up with laughter.

• Blessed

July 25, 2015 at 12:17 am

Hahahhaha.. i am glad!

• Blessed

July 25, 2015 at 12:18 am

Have a beautiful weekend

• Dee

July 26, 2015 at 8:12 am

I am cracking up sooooooooooo bad….I have a tendency to play with my hair and I always think I put it back the way it was after playing with it, until I go to the bathroom and see my hair scattered “like say small kolo just start” forreal…lool

5. Middle Girl

July 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Looks super good ? . Thanks for sharing. I’d definitely try it sometime. My hair is still short tho…but most important thing however is this…its natural ?. Lol diaryofmsgenesis.com

6. pearl

July 24, 2015 at 6:06 pm

@ blessed u are so funny true. Ur narration in pidgin is soo hilarious kaiiiii I can imagine. On a serious note dey are products used to keep d curls firm so dat it last longer. Visit d sites of naturalista nd u will get help.

• Blessed

July 24, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Lol… pearl darl, thank you.. as a partial warri geh, the pidgin gats try im best. 😀

thank you jor… its after the embarrassment i learnt about it. you can imagine the long hissing i released! i am yet to visit their sites so that i am not tempted to attempt but i will definitely do so…. thank you. have a lovely weekend. :*

7. sibo

July 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm

love it. I chopped of all my processed hair. and have been flat twisting my hair for years now. people always complement and wonder if ive got a weave. not for everyone but wish id known bout twist earlier on, would never had let a relaxer touch my hair.

8. The real D

July 25, 2015 at 4:50 am

I am seriously considering going natural for awhile, the only reason i have not done it is because i believe it is currently the “in” thing and following trends is not my thing. I went natural on my own a about 8years ago before people went go go ga ga over it and started processing it when people started going natural (yea i am crazy like that) but i had really long hair when i was natural and it is since gone through some serious reduction since i went back to processed hair and that’s the only reason i am considering going natural again, I am the natural that does weave and extensions though but hubby does not like low cut so chopping it off and start all over is not an option and i am vain like that but i hate the tangling mess you get when you have partially processed and partially natural hair together. I guess my question is how do i go about avoiding fighting this war (tangle) with partially processed and partially natural hair, anyone succesfully done this without major problems. The first time i did this i had to tie my hair every time i was going out till my natural hair grew out (I hate tying my hair it itches)

9. Suz

July 28, 2015 at 9:12 am

I had my big chop like 4 months ago like cut my hair really low, amber rose kind of low, the problem is that my hair has refused to grow long I’m not halfway close to Lupita’s lenght yet, I do the leave in conditioner oil cream and oil and the hair gets too greasy I hate touching it at times plus all these blogs and vlogs i’m yet to find one that helps new Naturalistas, those of us with short hair, on how to manage and style our hair, if you know any, please mention