Career

Ogechi: Go and Do Nursing

So, there I was reading other people’s success stories when I came across the story of a young Nigerian-American in the United States with her own fast food franchise. She started working at the franchise as a team member while studying nursing and was already three years into the program when she realized nursing wasn’t her dream; it was her parents. Today, she is an entrepreneur. Suddenly, I was reminded of my own experience when I first came to the States.

I moved to the States in 2004 and the first thing I heard when it came time to pick a major for university was “Go and do nursing”. When I asked why, I was told, “So you can make a lot of money. Nurses make a lot of money”. Of course my opinion for my own career did not matter.

To become a nurse, the first step would be getting a CNA(Certified Nursing Assistant)license which one could obtain in as little as two weeks. This would at least get your foot in the health field door. Certified Nursing Assistants in New York at the time started off earning $10-$12 per hour. It was one of the highest paying entry level no degree jobs. It was (and is still) a flexible field where you could work only weekends or nights and go school during the day.

The money was tempting. The problem:  I know I’m not a natural care giver; a trait I believe is absolutely necessary to work in the health field. I don’t know how to take care of sick people. I’m a take-your-medication-or-you-will-continue-being-sick kind of person. I was not interested in learning how to be a care giver even for the money. As an adult, I have a hard time driving myself to a hospital as I am always looking for someone to go with me for moral support. Thankfully, I have been blessed with good health. So, unless it is a life and death situation, you will not find me in a hospital or anywhere that feels like one. The thought of working in a place where death loomed was (and is still) unappealing to me. Instead, I choose to work as a cashier at a grocery store earning $6.00 per hour while pursuing a communications degree. I have no regrets.

People migrate to the United States for many reasons; to join their siblings or parents, others get married and one spouse resides in the States. Whatever the reason, part of starting their lives over usually involves continuing their education. If you’re in the Nigerian household, be rest assured all you will hear is, “Go and do nursing”. Your ‘advisors’ will convince you that it is best for you and they are advising you for your own good. Another reason you will be given aside from “you will make alot of money”, is “job security”. If you’re brave enough to keep pressing for more reasons, strangely and mysteriously, race will play into their list of answers. I mean, I’ve heard justifications for studying nursing like, “when a person is dying and terribly ill, they have no regard for your race”. Depending on several factors like age or exposure of the advisee, they never bother to research and explore other options.

Nursing is demanding. It’s is not a degree you pursue because you want to make a lot of money. Lives are at stake. If making a lot of money is your primary goal in life and in coming to America, and you choose nursing, you’ve missed the boat. Big time! There are a million and one other ways to make a lot of money which guarantees job security as well. There is job security for doctors, accountants, bankers, and engineers among many others. The most confusing part is watching someone with say an IT degree switch to nursing because they’ve been advised to when all they need do is take a few classes, take the GRE, and apply to graduate school or take IT certification exams and look for work. If you’re a programmer a.k.a coder or web developer, front end (user experience) designer with experience in Nigeria and you happen to move to the States, your field is hot right now because the world is moving towards technology.

When I was in secondary school days, we were divided into arts and science classes. It was rare to find an arts student in a science class like physics and vice versa. With the exception of Math, English and Biology which was our commonality, all other subjects was chosen based on whether you were an arts or science student. A friend from secondary school who was never a science student and had already completed a bachelor’s degree in Banking and Finance in Nigeria, moved to the States and started all over to become a doctor. She is currently in her final year of medical school. According to her, she is studying medicine because that is what she always wanted to do even though the process is longer and more challenging. It takes courage to choose your own path and I’m super proud of her.

Maybe people who advise others to study nursing do so to live vicariously through them or so they could get help with their bills……you know, because nurses make a lot of money. I can tell you there is nothing as suffocating as working in a field you have absolutely no interest in even with the money. Whatever you decide to study,  let that be your own decision.  If it happens to be nursing, great! But do so because you have a genuine interest in helping people and that is the field you have chosen to be of service to humanity.

Are you a Nigerian nurse in the States? Did you choose your own field or were you coaxed into studying nursing? Are you happy with your decision or would you change it if you had to do it over? Are you home or abroad working in a field chosen by your parents?  Share your experiences.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Gregd

Ogechi is the founder of OneSavvyDollar.com OneSavvyDollar exists to make your personal financial life dramatically simpler, more convenient, less intimidating, more fun and fashionable by teaching personal finance in a fun, engaging and empowering way. On her blog, she writes about entrepreneurship, career, education and interesting money news. Connect with her on facebook: @onesavvydollar or Instagram: @onesavvydollar

1. Somebody

July 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I’m a Nurse in Nigeria, everyone says. “Travel out, you’ll make it big there, you degree is wasting here”. Well Nursing is a vocation and you can’t really be paid for all you do and I have embraced it. I don’t want to have to leave Nigeria to make it big though so I’m waiting for a divine idea to do something that’ll bring serious money besides this job I have been called to do.

• DAmi

July 16, 2015 at 2:13 pm

you are the real one. God bless you

• bm

July 17, 2015 at 12:05 am

But if you have an opportunity to come to the US you will jump at it, don’t just deceive yourself

• Observer

July 17, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Absolutely! I agree with you totally. Nigerians like to pretend they are all so ok when the thing is there’s been no opportunity. All are looking for this opportunity. Once it is remotely seen, it is jumped at.

July 17, 2015 at 1:03 am

I like your last phrase “called to do”. I’m glad you found your calling 🙂

2. TA

July 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Finally! Someone addresses this ‘Go and do nursing’ mantra that all US newbies get to hear. Lol! I know not everyone works in a field/career they enjoy and others have bills to pay but biko, is it only nursing that pays the bills in the US of A? Most of these nurses may not even work in hospitals, they may end up in hospices, retirement homes, facilities for disabled children etc, There is absolutely nothing wrong in working with the aged or sick children,but it has to be something you really want to do. You have to be an empathetic person by nature not by training alone. So all those going into nursing to make money in the States must know this beforehand. Funny enough, the biggest income earners I know in the US do not work as nurses, they are engineers,geologist in the oil and gas sector, financial services and consulting. On the other hand,If you enjoy nursing and it is what you really want to do, please go for it, the US is a fine place to be trained as one. .:-)

3. OD

July 16, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I remember my mum forcing me to do sciences in high school so i can read pharmacy in the University. My WAEC? I failed woefully, I never passed Maths in school for one day not to talk of Chemistry and Physical.
    I later studied Secretarial Administration, and my second degree Intenational Relations & Strategic Studies. I am enjoying my job today and earn very well.

To parents, please you can only guide your children, dont force them to do one course they dont desire.

4. DAmi

July 16, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Finally someone gets it. All they want to do is Nursing simply because of the pay which I see as shallow and poor. Truth is you can make a lot of money from any career in the US but the shallow people don’t know that. I have a friend who is an SQL Developer who makes six figures and he’s just 30. P.M, Business Analyst and some other professions are selling so well at the moment. One thing I have noticed since being here though is that, it’s usually all those “adeko de re” and those who perhaps suffered, had nothing while in Nigeria that really want to jump into Nursing. Most of whom actually back out at the end of the day because they don’t have the brain to continue studying for nursing. It’s all these people(women) who leave their husbands or spouses when they finally begin to work as nurses because they feel they have arrived. One thing though, you will always notice a difference between a Nigerian HR Specialist, IT Professional or what ever field from a Nigerian Nurse in the US. They usually seem well learned, exposed, intelligent and smarter than the “Nurses”

• bm

July 17, 2015 at 12:08 am

Not all nurses abeg, maybe those that never went to school before coming to the US

July 17, 2015 at 1:11 am

“It’s all these people(women) who leave their husbands or spouses when they finally begin to work as nurses because they feel they have arrived.” I don’t know if I quite agree with that. 🙂

• Standhope

September 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm

On point dear..
      That’s the part that makes me mad about this whole thing. Is it that money gives happiness to this group of people.
      I am a male nurse from Nigeria…
      But female nurses always divorce there parners but i also know that some of those partners of they married them because of money.
      No love thats the simple answer because those days in school u will see them once they are about to graduate they will show up from no where for marriage when u ask where the person resides the answer will always be Abroad.
      So dear they marry for gains not love the worst of it is that this girl in question will leave the guy she claims to love just to marry abroad husband and u b left to be like there is nothing called love again..
      If she is able to leave the guy she claims to love because of a little opportunity why won’t she leave u that she doesn’t love..
      That’s why i have made up my mind not to marry here…
      Always after money…
      So many ladies are funny especially in this part of the world

• BB

February 27, 2018 at 7:20 am

There goes stereotyping. I actually do not know the kind of nurses you see that looks less educated compared to other professionals. I am a proud nurse from naija, presently a nurse nurse practitioner. i love what i do and measure up to any other professionals out there. lest i forget, i dont have student loan because my employers paid part of it and i make enough to pay it off. The profession has evolved from what it used to be long time ago my dear. bottom line do not go into nursing because of the money, but i have met some people that studied nursing first before going to other professions and they dust their stethoscope when they need extra money.

5. Bide

July 16, 2015 at 2:12 pm

This article is very apt and came at the right time. i’ve been battling with the decision of what to study in college. My family and friends suggest i study nursing cos the pay and my age. According to them, i’m 23 and i dont have time to spend on four year courses but with nursing i can be done in two years and start settling down. But i dont have interest in nursing

• Duchess Maria

July 16, 2015 at 2:58 pm

You can take some IT certifications to gain a specialty in that field. IT jobs are always in-demand and they pay well.

• Tobi

July 16, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Hi Bide, Just in case you see my response. please follow your mind. I have a bachelors degree in nursing & after my first month on a med-surg/telemetry floor, I applied for my masters in a different field. My reasons: @ the end of every shift, I’m sweating and burned out, because i would be loaded with 5 total care patients who cannot do anything & imagine you have a 460 pounds patients with a stage 4 sacral ulcer and who poops every hour – meaning you’ve got to wipe this people clean, the doctors loads you with unexplainable orders and you running back and forth like a chicken for 12hours shift. + no1’s got regard for you. I have cried home several days and I asked my self why I spent 4years in UNI to clean poops & i would feel so ridiculed like a slave, + some colleagues are just witches (especially those with 2year degrees and 20years bedside experience who hates on you for having a BSN). Average nurse in north America makes $60,000/year. whereas, you can do IT training e.g linux system admin. for 6months and get a 6figure job (i met someone who told me that , i never saw their paycheck lol) but my friend only had a nigerian polytechnic degree, did JAVA cert on arrival to US and got a job with microsoft. In all, I am yet to see a wealthy person that got rich through salaries…. I would rather set up a ‘subway’ ‘chipotle’ franchise than study nursing. End of my story: please follow your mind darling!!!.

• Bide

July 16, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Thank you so much…..

• bm

July 17, 2015 at 12:10 am

If you clean poop, what were the CNAs/nurse aides doing?

July 17, 2015 at 1:13 am

Excellent advice!!!

• Bolu

July 17, 2015 at 3:09 am

” Average nurse in north America makes $60,000/year. whereas, you can do IT training e.g linux system admin. for 6month Gbam! Many specialized short certificate programs pay better than a Bachelors degree.

• Ses

July 17, 2015 at 3:27 am

@bm It is not only the job of a CNA to clean a patient . In nursing school u are thought how to clean a patient. A nurse is trained to take full care of a patient. Also, nurses don’t only work in hospitals. Some work in home-care where they are on their own and have to perform all duties required.

• Oluyinka

June 30, 2016 at 2:51 am

Again, Nursing is not meant for everybody. If you go in there for the money, you’re wasting your time. Cleaning poop and all that, it depends on where you work. Most institutions have Unlicensed Assistive Personnels (UAPs) who help with those. Also, this is one of the reasons why most nursing schools require CNA experience as one their admission requirements, so applicants know what they’re getting themselves into. I have worked as a Certified Nurses’ Assistant (CNA) prior to getting my nursing degree, and I’m loving every bit of my career.

• Jay

September 14, 2016 at 5:33 am

Thank you so much!!!! I actually got enemies from far relatives who suggested I study nursing once I get to Canada and I said no way. Mind you, I have an Msc in Geoscience and a diploma in Software Development (my passion and side hustle back in Ghana). I will suprise them by what I will make of my software career path by the grace of God.

• BB

February 27, 2018 at 7:25 am

Dont do it if you are not interested. I can tell you as a mom, we have seen a lot of our kids studying courses that throws them into unemployment market while their counterparts who studied nursing are already making money and planning other things. Nursing is not that easy has people claims. Due to Magnet status of hospitals nationwide nurses are now required to have minimum of bachelors degree. Better to go to a 4 year college than getting an associate and unable to get employed in hospitals.

6. I no send

July 16, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for this insightful writeup..most nigerians I knw in the states is either a nurse or trying to be one.including men…I
    Guess the number 1 reason will be income. ..so far it’s not fraud I say carry on….bruno I hope ur not a nurse o..with you aggresive opinions..lol..na joke I dey o

• Nellyshone

December 8, 2015 at 10:30 am

Since my childhood i wanted to be a nurse but the school i went to didnt have enough teachers in science but in art class so i chance to art class.but after this i dnt still like art what i want is to be nurse,pls wat will i do,or shuld i retake science waec and go to nursin school but i dnt know anytin in science please wat will i do

7. Prec

July 16, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Your story is exactly mines! Came over to the U.S and the guilt trip started for me to study nursing. I just graduated in Communication and have started my journey exploring. Our parents think it’s all about money, you will think they’ll know better, but I understand they want the best for us and for them. Actually what I wanted to do was Theater Arts but knowing my parents wouldn’t have paid my tuition I decided to do the one they’ll manage small, with the incentive that I’ll go to law school.

July 17, 2015 at 1:01 am

Hmmmm law school in the States? Is that your final decision? Did you take the LSAT?

• Prec

July 17, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Not yet, i’ve been studying and using that as an excuse to push it back lol.

8. larz

July 16, 2015 at 2:26 pm

I will come and kill myself over $10 per hour. Olorunmaje. They tried to force me in care assistant (UK equivalent) and then my brother but I didn’t listen. The told me of stories of how the system is racist and several successful ppl in naija ended up in nursing or security work. The same parents were the ones boasting to their friends that their child is doing well in the financial sector. Choose your field, sink or swim, know it is your choice. At worst, you will learn from it and improve on ur decision making skills

July 17, 2015 at 12:59 am

I am not built for manual labor. I can’t even lift myself some days, talk more of lifting someone else as a nursing/care assistant. That is why I respected myself and just stayed in my lane.

9. Joan85

July 16, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Haha finally! My mum was a nurse way before I was born, going on about 35 years now, and then my family moved to the US and she naturally continued. For her, it’s passion. She can’t see herself doing anything else and I admire her for her dedication, she’s the most intelligent woman I know 😀 People like that, I can’t fault them.
    But then, you see young people get here and fly into nursing. I got the same advice from outsiders when I got here with a Naija degree that I wasn’t sure what to do with. “Go and do nursing o, but first, start with CNA courses so that you can get a CNA job and be making money”, they said. But I knew that corporate America was my goal and a CNA job would do nothing on my resume, nursing was totally out of the question. Thankfully, my parents understood what my heart’s desire was and supported me. So I opted for working at a store with minimum wage (surulere days lol), then customer service (which paid for grad school to God’s glory), then an internship which translated into a full time job after graduation, and now I’m doing exactly what I love!
    They will push you o, but not everyone is motivated by money. Plus, if you are not passionate about nursing and caring for people without complaints, don’t even bother because you will not enjoy it. Find out what it is YOU want to do and start somewhere no matter how small…

July 17, 2015 at 12:53 am

Hahah! I see we have 2 things in common; working at a store for minimum wage (because we knew what we wanted long term) and customer service job that paid for grad school. You’re OneSavvyDollar jo!

10. Benbella

July 16, 2015 at 2:39 pm

A timely article I must say, as Nursing in America for Nigerians is as IT is to Indians. Here are my 2 kobo:

1. It is a matter of exposure. Nursing was the “go to” profession for Nigerians who had emigrated to the US (Houston in particular) in the 70s, 80s and 90s before it became a frequent destination for Visa lottery winners and Masters Degree students. Back then Nigerian immigrants needed a profession which would guarantee work with a relative short period of training. It has now become a default profession and is seen as a goldmine, due to the ease of finding work and the massive potential for overtime. Some hospitals pay nurses $60 an hour

2. To be fair, it is a vicious cycle too. When A comes to Yankee, his friends and relatives advise him to abandon his Nigerian Economics degree and do Nursing. Relatives want him to do this partly out of selfishness, especially if A is staying with them. Nursing will enable him earn quicker, and get out of their house, as they are up to the neck in expenses due to accommodating him. Friends might want him to do Nursing because that is what they did when they came, and that is what they know will enable him transition and start earning fast. So A does Nursing. However if A had access to good advise, or if he researched further, he would discover that there are many career options open to him even with a Nigerian degree, and though he may need to do some courses or go back to school in Yankee, he need not do Nursing. He could do the CPA, or do a certificate course in Supply Chain Management; or get certified in the use of SAP or Oracle. If A worked in a multinational in Nigeria before he moved here, he could also apply to the Yankee office of that multinational, or its competitors and use that as leverage. If you worked in Shell or GE in Nigeria, you could try applications to Shell USA, Total, Mobil, Anadarko, Bechtel, Jacobs Engineering etc. Learn interview technique and how to answer interview questions comfortably. Re-do your resume to make it workable. Make sure you are proficient in MS Office and at least one of SAP/Oracle. Some professions transition better than others. Accounting and Engineering transition well. Law does not (unless you do a Paralegal program and write the NY Bar; and even then you would need experience.) There are loads of options. Some universities help you find a job or internship or connect you to prospective employers. You may need to start again slowly, but if you are dedicated, it can happen. Nursing is not the only option.

3. That said, like the author wonderfully pointed out,Nursing and any profession that requires “care-giving” is better off done by people motivated by the passion for the work. People who want to do nursing for the money, do not think about the occupational hazards. Working in a hospital or healthcare facility is stressful, requires late or long hours, exposure to death, suffering or pain of patients, as well as the risk of infection no matter how minute. There is also the human factor and pride in one’s work. I have seen a few callous Nigerian nurses, with obviously no passion for the job. One abandoned my cousins wife who was there to induce her labour for hours on end, and whenever we called her because the blood pressure monitoring machine was beeping high, she came with a sigh. She even showed my cousin how to reset the machine, so my cousin would not bother her. Then she spent an inconsiderate and unprofessional amount of time boasting to my cousin about her travels, business in Nigeria, kids, and her big home and her well-off husband. That insecure self-defense mechanism that certain Nigerians display from time to time, as if to say “Do you know who I am and what I have. It is not just because I am here o.”

Ok, I have gone on for too long.

July 17, 2015 at 1:18 am

(You went on for too long) but you spoke well and you described the vicious cycle as it is.

11. Author Unknown

July 16, 2015 at 2:53 pm

A big part of it is the herd effect Nigerians tend to have. They see what other Nigerians have done, and they follow. Plus Nigerians are hypocrites of the highest order, and I maintain that. The thought of studying nursing at home (Nigeria) does not even cross their mind, but when it’s in America and Canada, it all of a sudden becomes their darling profession. Clearly they’re not about what the profession involves.

12. ogeAdiro

July 16, 2015 at 2:57 pm

If one doesn’t mind the actual duties, I think nursing is a pretty good profession. The nursing pay is quite decent, and healthcare in general seems to offer a lot of job security. But as they say, ‘to each his own’.

13. amy

July 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm

This is so true, I remember when I first moved to the states all my family members advised me ” go and do nursing” , but I had to pray and ask God for his plans for me. Now I am studying something I love which is accounting because it a universal course and they speak the same language everywhere. If I had studied nursing I would be forced to live here for the rest of my life .

14. Oss

July 16, 2015 at 3:01 pm

@Dami, Gbam! I agree with u about the learned aspect. I have observed it.

15. Duchess Maria

July 16, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I think that to make the real money sef, nurses have to work a lot of overtime and extra shifts. I know many nurses who drive nice cars and live in big houses but always look so stressed out because they are overworked.
    There are other fields out there which will pay well without the need to work nights, weekends, and 12 hour shifts per day. Fields like IT, finance/accounting, engineering, consulting etc. Nursing isn’t the only way to make money in the US.

16. wendy

July 16, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Caribbean and African Immigrants have killed Nursing. No compassion towards their patient. They are very rude and just there for the money. Although there are a very few good ones but the majority just spoil am… I had to curse out one the other day. I told her plain and simple. find something if you hate ur job and just here for the money.

There is always a major difference when an African -American Nurse or sime Asian Nurses carter to you. …

• James

July 16, 2015 at 7:16 pm

@wendy, I couldn’t help but laugh at your comments. Those are the ones there for the money. They are probably building a house in their village with the money earned in nursing.

Folks, if you ever end up in a hospital where the nurse assigned to you is one like described above, please ask for another nurse or you will be putting your life or that of a loved one in danger.

17. Mymind

July 16, 2015 at 3:09 pm

This is soooooo true! But I think the real reason is because of job security. Nursing profession offer job security. As an RN, NP, CRNA etc, you will ALWAYS find work. Everybody knows that there is a serious shortage of nurses in the US, and if you can become a nurse (especially if that is your calling), you will not only enjoy your job, but you will also make serious money. If you go into Nursing just to make money, ha, that one na recipe for disaster because you may end up hating your job once you get used to it.

I know two Nigerian women, one is a Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) in the part of the US where I live, and the other is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. The Psych nurse’s makes around $152000 a year, and the CRNA definitely makes more than that in a year. There is an even greater shortage of male nurses, so I’m not surprised that some Naija men venture into the field.

Nursing is one profession where it doesn’t matter how weird your name is, or how thick your accent is, once you have that license, you will always get a job. In this country ehn, sometimes one has to be strategic. If you relocate to the US as an older person – in your late thirties, early forties and up, odds are stacked against you in terms of working in corporate America. You most likely won’t fit-in in that environment (sorry to be blunt).

From our parent’s or an older person’s perspective, that nursing profession offers job security. Nobody can shakara you with your license. The problem is in how they project their fear of racism, fear of job insecurity, fear of discrimination on us younger folks because of their understanding of certain realities here. They quickly forget that is much easier for a younger person to adapt to a new environment than an adult.

Bottom line is this, if you moved to the US at the a young age (under 30), you are in a much much better position to adapt and honestly, the odds are in your favor. It’s always a good idea to seek out people already working in your field of interest, ask them what they like about their job and what they don’t like. Ask them if they’d choose the career again if they could go back in time and choose a career. Also, go to bls.gov (US Bureau of Labor Statistics) to research future employment projections for occupations in the field you are considering. At the end of the day, nobody wan waste time on a career wey dem no fit support self and family on.

Quick tip if you are tech is your thing, IT software jobs are really really hot right now…. If you come land job for places like Silicon valley or Boston, choi, your own don better.

18. olu

July 16, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I know A LOT of Naija people here that are not into nursing – I am not and neither is my wife. We still do the same things while back in naija – IT and banking.
    I understand the nursing effect trend though: you don’t have to study for too long and there’s always almost endless OT. But the problem is that most Nigerians here doing it only do it for the money ..not the passion. You should see the disgust on their faces when they have to remove a full urine pan! But then, it is the same way as maid and drivers in Naija – they’re doing something they don’t love to do …that’s why they’re killing and kidnapping their bosses for money.

July 17, 2015 at 2:25 am

I’m glad you and your wife continued in your respective degrees from Nigeria. In other news, “You should see the disgust on their faces when they have to remove a full urine pan!” Lol!

• Olivia

July 17, 2015 at 9:37 am

@olu…. how you can compare nurses with maids and drivers (no disrespect to them) baffles me…. apparently according to you bankers and IT pple are superior….

• BB

February 27, 2018 at 7:35 am

well i guess i am replying to a post from 2015. But fyi nursing is not a profession you don have to study too much as you stated. it is harder than you thought because it is now scientific based. you will not get employed in the hospitals without a minimum of bachelors degree.

19. Tamales

July 16, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been an RN for about 8 years and working on my CRNA degree and I absolutely love what I do. I can’t imagine doing anything else as I wasn’t coaxed into it I explored different options when I moved here before making up my mind.. I initially wanted to be a labor and delivery nurse but I hated everything about it during my clinicals and I ended up in a neuro/trauma ICU that was right for my personality
    It must be tough to do a job you have no passion for but I will never judge people that do so because our journeys and stories are different.

• Bee

July 17, 2015 at 3:18 am

You are absolutely right. People come on this blog to pass judgement on nurses forgeting that people story are different.. I’m against coaxing someone to go into nursing if they don’t think is for them, but passing judgement on nurses as unintelligent and school drop out from Nigeria is bizzare and untrue.

• Observer

July 17, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Brilliant! People have got bills to pay. People have got to hold down a job in order to remain in the countries of their dream (else, immigration issues and they have to leave in the absence of a job, etc).
      Being practical about one’s situation is wisdom. If nursing provides that security, one can be mature and do it to survive. Yes I hear about accountants, engineers and IT persons having opportunities in the states. what of those that come in as lawyers? Graduates of communications, theatre arts, English, linguistics. Do they have that ready market for their own “lines”? I don’t think so. How do they integrate and survive in the places they find themselves??
      Come on people. You don’t know half of peoples stories. And to think nursing is all about bedside nursing or so scientifically tough is soooo last century. In the west, nursing is about communication skills and advocacy, more than its about sitting at the bedside! Do you know what lawyers who do nursing can become??? They can opt to work in insurance, or as expert witnesses, etc. Do you know what studying nursing does for those with a masters degree in anything else? Its a fast quick career elevation eventually. Ever heard of those that go into teaching in the field? Etc. There are career paths in the field that does not necessarily mean “care” stricto sensu. Western nursing HAS MOVED ON.
      BN, I never comment. But I would love to see my comment.

• Motunrayo

July 17, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I’m a graduate of communications and currently work in Brand communications here in the US. Of course, all I heard starting out was that I would never be able to compete with an American in my field but I didn’t even bother responding to such people, I just smiled and kept pressing on. My salary is almost double that of that my former Nigerian grad school colleague who went back to study nursing after we graduated here. When we speak now he constantly asks me for tips on how to transition back cos he doesn’t have a passion for his job and unfortunately let his uncles opinions sway him at that time.

Nursing is good depending on your circumstances and calling, but it’s not for everyone. Follow your dreams even if it seems impossible at first. Nothing good comes easy. Even if no Nigerian is in your field you can break into it with determination.

20. Tyra

July 16, 2015 at 3:32 pm

One thing that really upsets me is when people begin to trivialize the nursing profession. The nursing profession here in USA is so over saturated because a lot of people are so quick to jump on the nursing bandwagon because it’s easy money or it has flexible hours or whatever the case may be. I have been a registered nurse here in the states for a couple of years. I make $87,000 a year working only one job and with no overtime. I am currently pursuing my masters now as a nurse anesthetist where I’ll be making between $120,000 to $200,00 a year on average. Its easy to understand why a lot of Nigerians who are coming from poverty stricken areas see these numbers and decide they wanna go into nursing. My passion to make a difference in people’s lives through medicine has evolved through my childhood. Losing loved ones to the poor health infrastructures in Nigeria has further driven my passion to pursue a health career. I remain very active in different organizations at my job and I take time out to participate in affairs of the hospital. There are soo many Nigerians that go into it strictly for the money especially the men. You see them working three or four jobs and wallowing in the six figures they are making from overworking themselves and having no time to enjoy it. The sad reality is that the greed that drives a lot of he Nigerian nurses here in the states has either gotten them in trouble or has made them very miserable in life. If you go on the state board of nursing for Texas for example you will see public records of the nurses that have violated one policy or another and unfortunately a lot of them are Nigerian. I am so tired of people making ignorant comments like “ooh you are a nurse?” Or “Ooo you must be making money!” I hope that with time the mentality about nursing in America changes and people begin to embrace it for the right reasons.

21. Tosin

July 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm

lovely stuff.

22. Shines Teeth

July 16, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I just broke up with my boyfriend because of this. In fact it became a do or die affair. It became what I have to do or … I walked out. I took first from Jss1-Ss3. I graduated with 4.35 cpga. But honestly I’m done reading. The best I can do now is any IT crash course . I want to do my own stuff. Become a brand. Thanks baby I love you but I love me more.

• esteelauder

July 16, 2015 at 6:01 pm

OMG, story of my life. Ex-boyfriend wanted me to do a PHD so we can be citizens, our children will be citizens….bla bla bla. Lovely idea I must say but I did not want to live abroad. It was a do or die affair and it eventually suffocated the relationship till I lost interest. I am so happy being a management consultant now and following my heart’s desire.

23. Hmm

July 16, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Just my opinion. I feel the reason many ppl study nursing is because it presents a fast and fairly easy path to a decent living, and perhaps the people around them are doing relatively well with it. The problem is the growth rate is pretty flat. Why put a cap on yourself? In other professions which many ppl see as “long thing”, you could double or triple your income in less than 10 years, and even rise to an executive position. If you are an older immigrant, I understand allure of nursing, but if you are young and hard working, there’s a lot more to aspire for. It all starts in the mind. The medical doctors are humans too. The easy way out in your youth may turn out to be the “long thing”.

• Tamales

July 16, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I don’t agree that professional growth is flat in Nursing. It really depends on the individual, if you become a Nurse to just make money, you might be fine with just doing bedside nursing on the same unit for years. But if you have your BSN and really passionate about advancing your career, the sky is the limit.
      There are managerial positions, top clinical positions and you can always get a masters and get into Nursing informatics or even be a Nurse anesthetist, Nurse practitioner (in different capacities), and clinical Nurse specialist. All I’m saying is you can grow if you are ready to work hard just like any other career.

• Miss Rn

July 17, 2015 at 1:49 am

These comments are really turning into hate. Like tamales said it all depends on the individual if you have your BScN and you have passed your RN exam, the sky is the limit. Clinical manager, Nurse educator, Nurse practitioner etc are fields you can highly excel in. Infact in have seen RN’s who are hospital CEO’s no lie. All you have to do is to be prepared to work hard. The nurses who are stagnant for the most part the the Licensed practical nurses (LPN) or RPN’s as they call them in canada. These are the one with the 2-3year college diplomas. They really can’t moved up the ladder cause they lack that BScN. I know cause I’m 23 and i’ve been a BscN-RN for a 1 year. I love my job , will i continue at the bedside for up to 4years ? No. I have my foundation and I can be whatever I want but for now I will enjoy my cool cash, build my house in naija, invest my money, travel and enjoy the sort of money I never dreamt of (my dad was a engineer with shell, momsy pharmacist) while doing what I love. You guys hating on nursing are the one saying IT is hot now, soon tori go change. Una go dey talk “Go and do IT”

24. theresa Ometie

July 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm

There is a lot of growth potential in nursing, and it is not a quick way to make money, except you take a diploma course. For the most part registered nurses go to school for 4 years and they can grow to become managers, health authorities ceos, nurse practitioners, consultant nurses, nurse anesthetist…these courses usually require two or more years of training. I have been a nurse for 4 years and i am training to be a nurse practitioner, that is over 7 years of schooling for me. That is the beauty of nursing, you can study for two years and get a diploma, or study for 6-7 years and become a manager, head of a health authority, or advance practice nurse etc…and yes jobs are always available. And prior to nursing i was in science with a 4.0 gpa…so nursing is not a profession for people with a low IQ

25. Currently a nurse

July 16, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I came to America back in 2007 and immediately I got here everyone told me in Minnesota it’s nursing. In the community where I live if you are not a nurse people laugh at you for trying to be different or pursue a new career. Their most common statement is ” who go hire you” You have to understand that back home I was not even good with maths, biology and chemistry. Let me not say I was pressure into doing nursing because my parents are very open minded and will let me do what ever I want. But I feel like my parents choose nursing for us because they feel like they are doing the right thing. In Minnesota you can’t get into a nursing school because it is so saturated with immigrants trying to do nursing. I

26. mo

July 16, 2015 at 5:40 pm

U are all saying oil and gas. My hubby work in the oil field. He makes like 160 – 200k a yr. I am RN jeje. Making my 70s doing just home health 36hrs a week bcos of my kids. He has been home for over a mth now. His company said it’s too slow, No hours. To find another job despite his 8yrs experience and all certifications no easy. He hasn’t been able to get 1 yet. But nursing field you will be in your house and a lot of company will be calling u to come and work for them. I chose nursing becos of the flexibility of the shift and job availability. I came to US in my mid 20s with my thick ekiti accent. Abeg I know fit get loan go school, finish and start looking for job. I have worked as I nurse for few years and I have grow to love it. It’s a good profession no matter your accent you will get a job. Shikena

27. Currently a nurse

July 16, 2015 at 5:41 pm

After I got my nursing license I work for two weeks and had to quit because it is very demanding. I didn’t practice as a nurse for two years because I was so tired. I have back pain everyday. Stress from very mean co-worker, Ungrateful boss, work overload, mean doctors and nurse practitioner. But the truth is most of the stress is not from the patient. 70% of my stress is the hospital giving too much and little time and wanting you to be efficient in a short time. I do love my patient but I can’t stand my bosses and their policy. Bottom line do what you love.

28. Sisi Eko

July 16, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Sorry to digress but I am still in line with the topic. I am a mother of two kids in my mid thirties. I studied economics education in the university, though I hated the thought of being a teacher but I did better in education than the Economics partly because I have no head for maths. Wanted to study law but my dad made sure all his kids were science students in secondary school needless to say I had F9 in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
    I have a masters degree in general education and i am currently thinking of starting my PhD, This is partly because i have not been able to get a job and this might help to get a job.
    I do some business by the side and i teach undergrads once a week, that suffices a bit and hubby helps here and there.
    Right now i am at cross roads…. i love to talk, mentor and motivate people, but i am as confused as a jumbled puzzle as to what career path to take.
    I am afraid of becoming those who just acquire certificates and it just gathers dust with no purpose and no real experience.
    Anybody out there who has been in my shoes? I am becoming frustrated and depressed.. I hate the aimless and grappling at straws feeling i get lately.

• Mymind

July 16, 2015 at 8:47 pm

@ sisi eko: I’m not sure where you are based, but I’ll respond with the assumption that you are in the US.

First of all, before you get a PhD, please please and please, know what you want to do with that PhD otherwise you’d be back at square one, wondering what to do with your degree. To clarify your understanding of your strengths, I would recommend the Myer Briggs Test. Livecareer.com has a free Career Assessment Test you can look into.

Since you love to talk, mentor and motivate people, career options you could consider include but not limited to: Licensed Mental Health Counseling (LMHC), Licensed Clinical Social Work (LICSW), Clinical Psychology (PhD) – so many concentrations with this one i.e. neuropsychology, pediatric psych etc. Any profession where you get a license is usually a safe bet e.g. CPA, a variety of IT certifications etc…

Too bad you are not interested in hard sciences. A Bachelors degree in Chemistry for example would land one a pretty decent job at a Biopharma or Biotech company. A PhD in Chemistry would open even more opportunities in that industry.

Sometimes all it takes is a little bit creative thinking to work magic with what you have now. The female Nigerian Chemist – Obia Ewah, who started Obia Natural Hair Products is a good example. Her background is in Chemistry & Biology, and now she is using her technical skills to create great products in a niche market.

My two cents. Good luck!

July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am

I can understand your frustration and depression but @mymind is right about the PHD. Please, don’t start it until you’re absolutely sure. PHD debt and no job will frustrate you as well. Since you’re between an education and economics degree, and you like to motivate, have thought about being a school counselor and or increasing the number of times you teach? Talking, mentoring and motivating equals teaching as well. Get creative with the degrees you have before signing up for a PHD.

• ao

July 17, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Since you like to motivate and encourage people, have you considered getting a masters in social work (MSW)? It is a two year course, but can be done in 18 months if one takes class in the summer. You can even do it online with a school like Walden University. There are different types of social workers from child welfare to medical social workers and depending on how one hustles one can make six figures. The pay varies depending on the state one lives in. Entry level for child welfare social workers, for example, in the District of Columbia is 50K to 60K for private agencies and higher if one works for the DC government (up to six figures if gets into the administrative aspect of it) plus you will have incredible flexibility in your work schedule. I hope this helps.

29. proudnurse

July 16, 2015 at 6:02 pm

So what do you want to say abt Philippine ladies? Because you can get to a whole unit and all the nurses can be Phillipines. Anyway, i love nurse.I have a friend dat did building back in naija and he continue in that field in US. He has abt 30k student loan but he has gotten a job yet bcos na all white full the place. How will he pay his loan? There is a lot of area in nursing you can choose from

• proudnurse

July 16, 2015 at 6:09 pm

*are

30. Somebody

July 16, 2015 at 6:56 pm

@theresa ; Can I have your mail addy, I’d like to discuss a career path that’ll thrive in Naija with you. Mentor a young nurse. Thanks.

31. wande

July 16, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Haha, i am a victim. I moved to the states in 2012 as soon as i finished from Uniben, i studied banking and finance o. I got to the US and all i could hear was go and do nursing. So, i decide to try it, oh boy i had to take the biology twice before i could pass it and i only passed it because the man allowed us to use our power point notes in the exam and i had the test bank for the book, i think it was Campbell biology, Biology was the only course i failed on my WAEC exam o, so i don’t even know why on earth i decided to listen to people. Fast forward to Anatomy and physiology, it was frustrating, i had to study the nerves, the muscles, the bones on top one body, it was all crap. I just stopped going and got a capital F. Also, all nurses now have to get their BSN by 2020 before they can practice as a registered nurse. I am currently going to school for my mum’s friend. (online school). So some people shouldn’t just think of stopping at ADN if they are thinking of studying nursing. One thing i also noticed, when people asked me what i was studying then and i tell them am trying to get into a nursing program, they would just reply by saying that is what all Nigerians do when they get here, I hated that response, i always felt embarrassed. Now am working towards starting my masters in accounting, just taking some undergrad courses because my major wasn’t in accounting and i am very happy. Please, do what you want and don’t waste your time doing what people think it’s the best for you.

July 17, 2015 at 1:46 am

Yeah, banking and finance will allow you merge into accounting seamlessly after taking some prerequisites. Accounting is a great field (I’m in it).

• nnenne

July 18, 2015 at 1:26 am

@Ogechi one savvy Dollar..To each their own.
      I know a Nigerian Accountant. Whose husband is a Doctor, mom a nurse.
      She just abandoned Accountancy for nursing because nursing would give her more time to care for her kids. She now works three days a week, (12 hour shifts),off all weekend.

• Misses

July 17, 2015 at 5:44 am

Almost in the same shoes with you. I have my bachelors in accounting with about 5years banking experience in Naija but trying to get into a pharmacy school which am not sure if that is what I really want. But unlike you, am actually good at sciences and almost done with all prerequisites except for calculus which am currently taking. But I still love my accounting . Though I have spent 2years trying to be ready for pharm college, I am still strongly considering taking CPA and looking for an accounting job. Still confused and ooh am 35years

32. tunmi

July 16, 2015 at 7:21 pm

This speaks to me. I am not a caregiver at all, unless I have a vested interest in you. So nursing would be difficult. But give me math and numbers and an excel spreadsheet and I am in HEAVEN, which is why I chose actuarial science.

July 17, 2015 at 1:42 am

Tunmi, even with the “vested interest”, I still have to close one eye (or blindfold myself). But yeah, I’ll take spreadsheets any day..

• nnenne

July 18, 2015 at 1:28 am

You can’t go wrong with math in the US.

33. Rose

July 16, 2015 at 7:27 pm

My dearrrrr tell them oooo…been in the US over two years now. I came immediately after my bachelors which I got here from Naija in English. My mum was like I should do nursing I told her Hell nooooo I totally have zero passion for it. I did my masters in human resource development with emphasis on instructional design and elearning… Graduated this past may and I have a job paying me 55,000 yearly plus my bonus. My goal is to get an MBA to so am more diverse in d business sector and also a law degree….Amennnnnnnn….

July 17, 2015 at 1:31 am

But why do you want to add a law degree in that mix? If you have a masters in HR, have you take the HR certification?

34. Rose

July 16, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I forgot to add don’t just free die for oil and gas ooooo cos wen the oil go down….na sooo they go cut ur ass and lay u off. Rather look into more diverse companies like GE, Microsoft, apple, dell, even private companies like PROS and Maximus…they pay well all depends on ur field, degree and experience.

35. GIWJ

July 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm

The word is “follow your dreams”

36. annoyed

July 16, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Old school Nigerian parenting is rubbish. If there’s one thing i learnt from white people is the way they support their kids no matter what. The other day at a restaurant I saw an older couple with two daughters, one was “normal” and the other one was a Goth. I was pretty amazed and it made me think…they allowed her to be who she wants to be without judging. Nigerian parents will have disowned you since.

I really don’t get how they think it’s right to tell you what to be??? It is their fault in the first place for not paying attention to their child properly since birth, they would have identified what interests you and what doesn’t. Surely a child who is obsessed with telescopes and star gazing would love to be an astronomer? Na that one go come be accountant? lmao. Nonsense.

I swear if my daughter is dead cert she wants to be a model i will help her become the best model she can be. That’s your job as parents, support yo kids dammit!

37. liz

July 16, 2015 at 8:58 pm

OMG!!I feel so relaxed and happy that someone addressed this finally. okay it goes like this I got admission to srudy medicine abroad but apparently I have to graduate with a Bsc before going into college of medicine.I choosed Biochemistry because I have this drive to help in cancer research and is a course I really love and I saw is quite associated with research especially when you are opportune to study abroad.But the man that helped me with my admission keep saying nursing will bring in more money so I should bag a degree in that first before going into college of medicine so I could also help my parents later on in fees and all!And I was like I don’t see myself as a nurse like am not really this type of soft hearted person bur not wicked or mean ooo…lol.P.S people go to school to study biochemistry and do very well please why must the cry always be about nursing or pushing your child to be a doctor.I want to be a doctor because I love it not because I was pushed to but 9ja parents just like this title “iya or baba doctor,lawyer”
    it’s annoying because something people don’t know if you don’t have passion in what you are doing and you are even earning well you might end up going back to square one to eventually do what makes you happy.Money is not happiness biko. Yeah bills has to be paid. But if you have passion for what you do you will go places.

• bm

July 17, 2015 at 12:47 am

and do you know that as an international student your chances are limited in getting into medical school?

38. Zinky

July 16, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I am arguing in support of nursing. I studied law and did my legal practice course. Straight on, I got a job in the financial sector in the legal and compliance department. My pay was fantastic and twice what a newly qualified nurse will earn. In my university days I worked as a nursing assistant and I loved it. 8 months into my fantastic job I realised that I hated every thing about my job. I missed the human interaction nursing offered and hated the endless paper work my job demanded. To cut the story, I applied for a two year accelerated nursing programme and have just qualified. I am very proud to be a qualified nurse, I don’t mind the lower pay. No one can tell you the joy it give me to see a bum full of poo and the happiness I feel leaving my patient bum immaculate. I love it all, the vomit, the wounds, even the deaths. After 12hrs shift I still have the biggest smile on my face and the reason is because I love to care and love my job so much that if I win the lottery today I will do it for free. If you want to do nursing I think it’s the best career in the world, just make sure it’s something you actually love to do.

July 17, 2015 at 1:27 am

“No one can tell you the joy it give me to see a bum full of poo and the happiness I feel leaving my patient bum immaculate. I love it all, the vomit, the wounds, even the deaths. After 12hrs shift I still have the biggest smile on my face and the reason is because I love to care and love my job so much that if I win the lottery today I will do it for free”.
      Woahh! You my dear are the real MVP. If i’m EVER sick, will you be my nurse? I’m more worried about the ones @Benbella described.

• Monisola

July 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Kudos to you my RN sister. You definitely get it. The satisfactory feeling after 12 hours shift cant be explained.

39. Angel

July 16, 2015 at 9:59 pm

The fuel that keeps one going in any medical/health care profession is the passion for the job, cos it’s so freaking stressful and I’m not just talking about physiological stress from long shifts, extra hours etc, but also mentally, psychologically, even ur emotions…. sometimes you feel like you are completely drained. So if you don’t have passion for it, please save your breath and follow your dreams, there are so many other equally rewarding careers out there now.

40. Chinny

July 16, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Hopefully this helps someone out there. I am a 34 year old Nigerian who studied Marketing Management. I came to the U.S and was blessed to have someone advice me on how the system works.
    Technology is MASSIVE in the U.S. Just brush up your skills on tools like SAS, Omnivore, Eloqua, SPSS, Excel etc and you will be a HOT commodity. SAS is used to predictive analytics and every company needs to use it to understand their customers- buying behavior etc.
    Just to give you an idea- I made $208,900 gross (after taxes I took home about $165,000) last year. I am NOT a doctor or a Nurse BUT I surely made more than a lot of nurses working one job doing marketing Analytics….
    Google Big Data, Data Science, Predictive Analysis- read up on them, learn these SAS skills and I promise you, you could go from making $50,000 a year to making over $100,000 just in a couple of months.
    Hopefully this helps someone out there…I am a living testimony that there is money in the fields!!

July 17, 2015 at 1:21 am

Chinny biko, spread this wealth. Haha!

• Oma

July 17, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Hi Chinny,

Your write-up was definitely for someone out there and that’s me! Lol,…very enlightening. I’ve been thinking along those lines so I can actually relate with all you stated. Please if you don’t mind, can you send your email address (or any other means of communication that is convenient for you) so you could further elaborate. Thanks!

• Chinenye

March 18, 2016 at 10:05 am

Hi Chinny,I love your post. I am interested in IT but got a bit discouraged when I learnt that Indians have taken over the field. But you just inspired me. Please I wouldn’t mind if you could drop a line or two on my email so that I could learn more from you. My email : [email protected]. Thanks Chinny.

41. nnenne

July 16, 2015 at 10:38 pm

To Whom it may concern:
    Please don’t choose nursing or any medical field because of money!
    You will be frustrated. No one can pay you for all the job you do as a nurse, doctor or pharmacist.
    You must be called/ have a passion for these careers.
    Most people choose nursing due to availability of the job, not even how much they make.
    You don’t have to be a nurse assistant before becoming a Registered Nurse.
    When you are a nurse, you can be anything else. ..lawyer, professor, doctor, IT/ Information Technologist, pharmacist, policy maker, administrator, architecture , name it.
    Just get your Bachelor of Nursing degree and study on!

Please fellow citizens, Nigerian nurses are equally good. Most are more intelligent than the Asian and American nurses, you all are dying for.
    Am an insider.
    The bible is right. “A prophet is without honor in his father land.”

42. omime

July 17, 2015 at 12:08 am

I tot I was d only one dat noticed d ‘nursing craze’….its everywhere now, well, I’m a student nurse currently and I wont actually say I was called to do it, but hey, I joined d wagon and I must admit, its interesting…difficult but very interesting. Nursing is a vocation, u r called to do it, if u aren’t, don’t bother…u will make a mess of it.

• Monisola

July 17, 2015 at 1:55 pm

The best thing about nursing that most people don’t know is that you can merge it with other interest. Nursing is a tree with multiple branches, you just have to find the branch that you can hold on to and you will do well. You can do nursing and with merge degree practice as a lawyer, RNJP, or be a computer RN, known as informatics, you can design program and EHR.
      You can also purse CRNA, a nurse anesthetic, if you love surgery etc. If you need further assistance let me know.
      My 10 cents.

• Chillok

July 18, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Pls,how do I get in contact with you. I’m in dire need of advice. I’m currently in nursing school, but I intend to pursue other certifications(precisely, take d New York bar) as soon as I’m done with my bsn. I plan on working f as a nurse for a few years to gain experience. In that period,il take the bar exams and hopefully,utilize my law degree somehow. I hope I’m not too late making this post

• Eddy

August 16, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Monisola are there reputable nursing recruiters i can work with from naija to help me immigrate?I am an RN currently practicising in naija and would love any guidance you can give me.pls u can mail on [email protected] you!

• Victor

March 24, 2016 at 12:35 am

Hi omime, my name is Victor, and I would be moving to Texas in May to start some nursing Pre-requisite courses. I do no have any background in science as I studied Business Administration for my first degree. I would appreciate any help you can render in succeeding in my chosen field Nursing. My email is [email protected]. Tnx

• jesse

June 15, 2016 at 3:54 pm

am currently an rn, licensed with working experience for 2yrs in nigeria, i am now a med student ukraine. u said one shud buzz u up incase interested. please will like to find out study and work opp available. thank you

43. Ginger

July 17, 2015 at 12:54 am

This post has been very informative. I graduated in January with a psychology degree. I started off with bio Chem as folks said medical school afterwards. Failed my courses and took psychology before I get kicked out, mind you, I never liked the program but I stayed. Worried about my future. Now I’m done with the degree and I’m working as a teller at a Canadian bank. I’m so lost. My dad is insisting on accounting but I have no interest in it. (Tried it in uni and failed the first course). I’ve been thinking of the next step to take but it’s difficult when your GPA isn’t great for grad school. I don’t know what to do. I’m quite good at this job. I make my sales and I’m learning about finance. I wish I had a mentor or a guide to follow when it comes to career decisions. Il be turning 24 in November and being a teller for another isn’t my wish. My mom almost pushed me to nursing before grad but I refused. Hopefully I figure it out soon. Kudos to everyone who found their passion.

• Monisola

July 17, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Please, don’t be pushed and coarse into any career you will dislike within years. Analyze yourself, know your strength and weakness and with that you will pursue the right career. My 10 cents

44. aj

July 17, 2015 at 1:03 am

Wow I love this topic! I am not in school but I am thinking of going back to school in order to be a CRNA. How is CRNA school? is it tough? I need answers. I was initially pursuing accounting however I am switching to Nursing when I go back to school. I love America for one thing… it doesn’t matter what you are doing you can always rise to the top of your career. Imagine there are nannies and personal assistants making six figures in New york city, Greenwich CT and California.

• Monisola

July 17, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I will advise you to follow you heart and do what you love. Like you mentioned, there are nannies making decent money and like. Its because they love their job and package themselves to sell well. My 10 cents.

45. Monisola

July 17, 2015 at 3:30 am

I am a RN.
    I don’t own up to it in public just because of people with similar mindset like most of the authors on commmets above.
    Just because someone is a RN and just happen to be a nigerian, the analysis of why you got into nursing begins automatically.
    I don’t owe anyone an explanation.
    I loved my job and I have met some great people working as a nurse . It’s a customer service field technically.
    Working for years in the ICU makes me appreciate life and the time we have here with friends and family.
    The money and the job security is a plus.
    I loved it.
    Working as a nurse practitioner now and that’s different altogether but the nursing background is an experience that I can never trade for anything.
    Kudos to all my fellows Nurses.

• Victor

March 24, 2016 at 12:32 am

Hi Monisola, my name is Victor, and I would be moving to Texas in May to start some nursing Pre-requisite courses. I do no have any background in science as I studied Business Administration for my first degree. I would appreciate any help you can render in succeeding in my chosen field Nursing. My email is [email protected]. Tnx

• jesse

June 15, 2016 at 3:48 pm

i am jesse , a nigerian trained nurse, licensed, with a 3yrs experiencei , currently in med sch in ukraine , i really miss the nursing profession. if i get a job as a nurse any day any time ill always dump med for it. but to be earnest being a nurse is not easy anywhere in the world. a nurse is only but a member of the health team, likewise doctors pharmacist, etc. all are there to play differnt roles to a patient, if you get paid doing this its really a plus. nursing means care. to care is only but a priviledge i am always proud being a nurse.

46. Besty

July 17, 2015 at 5:00 am

I’ve never commented on any article before but had to because I can relate to this. I moved to Australia 10yrs ago with my big sis and had the same issue with people telling me to do nursing for security, Which I ended up doing and love it, not for the money but that intrinsic reward I feel helping and looking after sick people, especially the elderly ( have a thing for them). Though it pays my bills and I’m comfortable. Last year I started my masters on health science because i was getting facinated about dementia. I’ve been researching and leaning more about the disease and doing workshops for my fellow nurses, PCA ( nursing aids) and families with people with dementia. I’m loving every bit of it, but you need to have passion for it, else you will hate yourself and your job. It is both physically and mentally draining.This is just my experience.

• EG

July 18, 2015 at 4:18 am

You’re so right, Besty, I’m in Australia too, would be nice to connect. drop me a line on willard.hubert at gmail dot com

47. Serwaa

July 17, 2015 at 5:34 am

IT happened to me when I first came to U.S. Only God knows what I went through with this nursing course, it almost reign my marriage because I chose Fashion Design. Thank God now I am a Fashion Designer that I’m really proud of doing mostly African Designs and very happy I chose that. I love and finish my collection 90 percent perfectly so It Pays good.

48. Omo 9ja

July 17, 2015 at 6:57 am

I just need to understand one thing. How impossible is it to get a good job in the states with a foreign degree and foreign experience?

I moved to the States recently cos love brought me here, had to join my spouse to avoid long distance marriage (lol). And in order to maintain my sanity, I have stopped talking to anybody especially our fellow Nigerians about the career path to seek here. The negative talk just frustrates me. ‘Ah you have to go to school again o’, ‘See in this amerikar, one spouse will be working while the other goes to school, that’s how they do it here o’, ‘Wo, forget your Nigerian degree, you won’t get a good job, you’ll be doing something you hate’.

I have a Nigerian law degree and foreign (non-us) Masters degree and a few years experience (non-legal) in the Nigerian financial sector. I was already doing a professional certification in the financial sector (insurance, to be precise, i don’t know where that love came from but i love that industry). Now, in the states every Nigerian I see is either a Nurse or working in TDCJ (mo gbe, hope i’ve not gone from annonymous to ‘nymous’ bayi). My parents that are so proud to be known as ‘Baba and Mama Lawyer’ want me to continue in the Legal profession here in the States. But boy am I ready to go through that rigorous process of studying like my breath depends on it again, and performing wifely duties with the associated bedmatics at the same time? I’m not sure. Moreover, who will pay the outrageous fees? Student loan? Le Hubs is still paying back his own student loan, now I want to join? Not sure.

I’m yet to find anyone who’ll advice me on what it takes to work in the Insurance sector here, although, i’m doing my own online research. I really don’t mind getting some professional certifications, as I’m the ‘study chap looking forward to exam’ kinda person.

But really as the most reasonable person i sought advice from said to me, ‘Babe, know the will of God for your life and let God direct you on what He’ll have you do in this country. Remember all things work together for the good of them that love God and are called according to his purpose’ (some of us have a knack for Jesus like that, we wait on him to know what decision to make).

So as I wait to know the next step, I pray everything will work out perfectly and I’ll share my testimony in Jesus name. (Somebody say ‘glory’).

July 17, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Hi, since you love the insurance industry, even with your foreign degrees, you’re in luck. Here’s what I know from working with a credit union that was solely for an insurance company’s employees (Geico). They are always looking for Claim Adjusters. People who determine how much to pay the victim when an accident occurs. They will train you and usually require no experience. There are a number of insurance companies all over (Geico, State Farm, All State, Nationwide, Esurance just use google to find more. Maybe after or while working as a claims adjuster, you can take actuarial science exams and work just about any where even with the government. I hope this was helpful to you. Goodluck!

• omo 9ja

July 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Thanks a lot. I’ll look into that.

• seun

July 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

hello. you can go the chartered insurance professional route or risk management. i’m sure the insurance sector in the states isnt that bad. goodluck.

49. nkem

July 17, 2015 at 10:15 pm

I am a medical doctor in Nigeria. I’m seriously thinking of coming to the united states to do a masters while writing the licensing exam to practice as a doctor in the u.s.
    I want to know how possible this is. And if anyone here has taken this route or know someone who has. Thanks

50. Tade

July 17, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I was told the same stuff when I came to canada.I worked in a bank for 6yrs before relocating.Everybody was telling me to do nursing,infact get a factory job first and then go do nursing.I always love to work in a bank and I really have passion for it.I went online applied to all the banks and I got a bank job less than 3months.Initially,the money was not fantastic but lot of benefits,started doing all the required exams. and to God be the glory am an INVESTMENT BROKER.I love my job and always look forward going to work everyday.Just have a dream and pursue it with God all things are possible.Much love

• Meme

July 18, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Hi tade, I’m currently working at the bank myself but as a teller.. What exams can one take.. I like the experience I’m getting but I don’t want to be a teller all my life. I studied sociology at uni so no finance background. The next step would be to become a financial service rep which is too sales oriented and I don’t like it but I do hit my weekly targets.

51. nnenne

July 18, 2015 at 1:38 am

A Masters degree in Public Health, MPH, would be nice.
    When you eventually get your medical license it will complement it. MD/ MPH increases your employability.

52. EG

July 18, 2015 at 4:12 am

And here goes the classic mistake: “If you’re in the Nigerian household, be rest assured all you…” The right use of the phrase is “rest assured” not “be rest assured. So, “If you’re in the Nigerian household, REST ASSURED all you…”

July 21, 2015 at 5:21 am

Hi EG, thank you for the correction 🙂

53. Tade

July 20, 2015 at 11:44 pm

@Meme,am in Canada and for you to manage client account or discuss investment,u have to be license.I did 5 different licensing courses for me to be where I am today.I dont know where you are right now,u need to find out what is required.I was lucky enough to get most of the information. Teller job is ok for a start to merge into the system.I dey shine my eyes and also learn from my colleagues.U can imagine my naija accent,I survive with God on my side and I also learned on how to pronounce some of their words.I remember talking to a client about DEPOSIT.The client didnt understand my accent but I can understand when they talk to me but at times they dont understand plus including I talk so fast.The client is not racist,the client meant well .So I have a good colleagues and I wrote most of the words down and learnt and still learning to pronounce some words that they will understand and a sticker on my desk dat always remind me to slow down when speaking to a client..

54. Tope Akin

July 22, 2015 at 11:06 am

I ave a degree in english education in naija bt i had always had a passion for nursing. My passion has so grown dat nw i dont mind starting afresh by going to do sciences and writing waec again to study nursing bt my husby is against studying in naija says he ll prefer i go to d us of a to study nt bcos of d pay bt bcos he feels its faster nd beta for me nd d kids. Am game bt confused at d same tym. I want nursing to phd level and i need to knw wat steps to tk nd nt b bombarded wit so many tlks by pple ll b leaving for d states b4 d ending of d year.

July 26, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hi Tope,
      Congratulations on discovering your passion. Since you’re migrating here by the end of the year, here is my candid advice.
      1) Get ALL your transcript with you. You will need it for the school admission process AND to send to WES (World Education Services) so they could evaluate it and tell you what courses will transfer and what will not.
      2) Go and look for a community college in your area and start off there. Every state and county has one. Since you know that you’d like to do a PHD understand that it is expensive. Don’t rack up debt at the beginning.
      3) When you find a community college in your area, meet with a counselor in the school and tell him or her your plans. They are ALWAYS willing to help you.

55. Vickie

October 1, 2015 at 6:54 am

Hi Ogechi,
    I really enjoyed your timely article. I am inspired by your story. I moved to the U.S. about 9 years ago. I am currently in a dilemma and don’t know what to do in terms of my career. People have advised me to do nursing, but I don’t think that’s what I want. I would really appreciate it if you can advise me on what to do. How can I reach you.
    Thank you very much.

56. phariedah

October 8, 2015 at 11:28 pm

hi..i am currently studying health education here in nigeria, which i hate with passion,but after school am planning on doing masters in public health or going to a nursing school. hearing all dis stuffs about nursing in actually giving me a second mine and i dnt rilli have passion for it. so i dnt knw if mph is rilli a good profesion

57. mENKO

January 28, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Me i want to work in an American mortuary, dead bodies don’t complain. Can you tell me how much they pay biko?

58. oluwatimileyin

February 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Am a nurse & my speciality is obs & gynae I did. My general nursing for 3yrs b4 doing my obstetric nursing I also av my degree cert but twas because wen I did my general nursing of 3yrs, there were no much schools doing degree nursing in Nigeria but now, I do advice ppl interested in it to do their degree straight instead of spending much years like me. I am passionate abt my nursing career it gives me joy each tym I close for the day even if I am dead tired I still feel very proud I am a nurse. If u dnt have passion for this job & u wanna do it all for the money, I don’t envy u O cos u will get frustrated there’s no 2 ways abt it bcos there’s more to nursing than d pay, needle & syringe or d covering by the tym u go deeper, u will kno its not beans. I work in Nigeria & some times, u r jst 2 nurses to cover a 25 bedded ward & it might be that its jst 3 patients are able to help themselves averagely the rest r bed ridden & u av 2 treat pressure areas, change linens, do vitals sme r monitored for every 5 mints, sme 30 etc then here comes the relatives shouting @ u for not answering their own person even threatening to report u & in most cases, they go ahead to report u & u av to answer query. Some times, the doctors will make a mistake in their own duty 2 d patient, smtyms, its the pharmacy. So many tyns comes up my dear, if u r not called, u will beat up smbdy one day or go crazy or not even administer ur work well. Its d ppl [email protected] come in2 nursing for the money u see spoiling the profession or not attending 2 d patients needs appropriately. Tho some times, most patients or relatives may want 2 see u as as their toy or may be d hospitals maid evn d media house don’t hlp matter smtyms, I watch clinic matters & am lyk r dey sure of wot dey r propagating no trained nurse [email protected] have her patients interest @ heart will come & act like clinic matters I see a lot of quackery in Nigeria especially in private hospitals. I love my job with a passion can’t see myslf doing smtyn else aside nursing if I do, I will fail in it its not a curse its jst a reality. Pls, dnt be cajoled with d fact [email protected] ders money in nursing. Infact I do say if u rilly want 2 do nursing, come work in Nigeria where u will av 2 improvise evrytyn & @ d end, u receive small money but am cool with it cos I put smiles on countless ppls faces I take so many deliveries in a day, smtyms, ur d one bringing out d baby, packing d womans shit with joy & laughter & den wen d baby cms, I will still b d paediatrician trying 2 sunction, clean pending d tym d placenta is out & d joy is jst der often. Am so glad I chose dis path & am still luking 4wrd 2 a beta nursing in Nigeria where we will wrk with ease. God bleSs nursing & all oda profession. To as many aspirants, kip up d hope 2 dose forced in2 it, pls have a rethink so u won’t get frustrated.

59. oluwatimileyin

February 6, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Jst want 2 add dis as well. Smtyms, d Drs make mistake, d pharm dispense wrongly, uor smtyms, it cld evn be from u as a nurse & wen al dis mistakes r done, it cld take ur licence 4rm u. U av 2 b also vry sound upstairs cos dis mistakes, cld take ur certificate 4rm u. U aint Jesus Christ 2 kno everytyn but u av 2 kno also because ur dealing wit life not paper. I hear ppl also telling dir dull kids 2 go do nursing because they feel its 4 dullards. Infact in my school @ Babcock Uni, I see abt 100+ being admitted but getting to 500l, I see only 30 writing d licence exams I dnt kno ow d system abroad works but I feel mayb the oyinbos made it easy for Nigerian nurses or maybe they do nurse assistants & call it nursing because if u av 2 go tru d right process, u won’t b spending 2years except mayb u alredy had ur diploma course here in Nigeria which is the RN certificate then u go for ur degree which is called conversion programme. The profession is a lovely one but its jst lyk d saying [email protected] many are called but few are chosen.

60. Akinwumi

May 25, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I’m very grateful for all the comments above, very helpful.. I don’t know if anyone is around to answer questions coz I have some

61. Nesy

June 24, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for this page. Please i need an advice, My husband is an international masters degree student in Canada and i will join him soon but I’m still thinking on the kind of program to study in other to keep my self busy and to earn more money to support my family. I’m currently working as a customer care representative here in Nigeria and I’m also a graduate from a Nigeria university on Soil science and environmental management Please can i get advice from you

62. Eddy

August 16, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Please my sister can u recommend highly trusted nursing recruiters in the US?I am an RN and in naija and want to relocate!

63. Thank God for Social Workers!

December 11, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I tried nursing school for a week and realized pretty quickly the profession is not for me. Now, a fully licensed MSW Social worker and making good money. My advice: Don’t follow the crowd! Follow your heart!