News

British Airways Plane Catches Fire in Las Vegas

BellaNaija.com

British Airways Fire1 British Airways Fire2 British Airways Fire4

A British Airways plane bound for London on Tuesday caught fire at Las Vegas airport.

As a result, the 172 people on board were evacuated on emergency slides, BBC reports.

At least 13 people sustained minor injuries and were taken to the hospital.

Reports state that the left engine of the Boeing 777-200 caught fire before take-off, and the plane was seen engulfed in flames and smoke. The fire was later put out.

The pilot subsequently told passengers that the fire was due to a “catastrophic failure of the engine.”

A reporter named Jacob Steinberg, who was on the flight, said “We looked out the window and for the first time saw smoke near the wing. We could smell it. It was like burning rubber – bitter and deeply unpleasant – and it was time to panic.”

An investigation into the fire is currently ongoing, after what many have described as “a lucky escape.”

Photo Credit: AP/BBC

1. Adesua

September 9, 2015 at 9:00 am

Lucky Indeed , Gods grace at work

• Exq

September 9, 2015 at 10:45 am

I’m telling you. GOD is too good!

2. mohlara

September 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thank you Lord for saving their lives

3. MEE

September 9, 2015 at 9:41 am

Thank God, at least it happened before take off. God be praised no one perished.

4. www.thelmathinks.com

September 9, 2015 at 9:50 am

They are so lucky this happened before take off. It would have been a catastrophic disaster if this happened midair. I thank God for them. Flying can be such an odious task, my flight into Lagos yesterday was something else, descent was like tumbling down and for a second I wondered if our plane was about to crash. I wasn’t the only one, the guy on my left was a nervous wreck feverishly muttering prayers, and the papa on my right was calling on God. I just sat still and reminded myself that I have at least 55 years left to go, so no shaking. Lol. Yeah, it’s not one of my hobbies but when you see the number of auto accidents on LIB on a daily, it becomes the preferred alternative. May God keep us and our loved ones from harm and disaster. Amen.

5. OD

September 9, 2015 at 9:53 am

This simply means no country is perfect. Thanking God for averting tragedy.

6. honey omo lekki

September 9, 2015 at 9:56 am

And people still had time to carry their bags. SMH. Upon all the: “pull of your high heels” “leave all your belongings behind” e.t.c. that the hostesses ring in our ears.

I am happy there was no casualty sha.

7. Scared Homosapien

September 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

Some people even had time to pick their luggage sef.
    I would have reached my house before i’ll even remembered i entered with a bag or whatever.

8. Marlvina

September 9, 2015 at 11:07 am

And my sister just traveled last week Friday. Baba Oshe o! Thank You Lord for averting this disaster. Thank God no life was lost.

9. concerned9ja

September 9, 2015 at 11:16 am

Sadly enough yesterday was looking at the pics of the Dana air crash and those Air Hostesses all laughing and joking posing for pics before that ill fated flight…just like that…gone!!
    Thank God for their lives and the capable pilot.

10. OJ

September 9, 2015 at 4:37 pm

The pilot of the plane was actually set to retire, not actually the best of ways to retire, but no lives were lost and we thank God and the emergency skills of the cabin crew that played a major role. I know some people will come on this forum and say if it was in Nigeria, nobody would survive, the plane was not inspected, the plane is old and faulty, useless country blah blah blah….forgetting that incidents of this nature happens all over the world, reported and unreported

11. Lou

September 10, 2015 at 1:13 am

Bella naija poor choice of words ” erupts in flames” sounds more appropriate

12. Tunmi

September 10, 2015 at 12:14 pm

This reminds me of something someone said. In developed nations, there are efforts to ensure survival. Risks happen but loss is minimized. I await the day Nigeria. By the way, what’s the report on the black box investigation of the plane the Bello guy flew.