Music

Kanye West Reaffirms his 2020 Presidential Run: ‘I’ve Got a lot of Growing up to do’

Kim Kardashian & Kanye West fro Systems Magazine - BellaNaija - July2015002

If you thought Kanye West was joking about his presidential run, announced during the last MTV VMAs, well he wasn’t.

He has reconfirmed his ambitions to Vanity Fair in an exclusive interview.

Read excerpts from it below.

On juggling everything: It’s family first. And then when I work on music, I’ll sequester myself and work on it with a team of three, four, or five really focused experts for two weeks at a time. And then with apparel, the office is right across from my house, so I go to the office every day.

On his Yeezus Season 2 Collection: It had nothing to do with race. It was only colors of human beings and the way these palettes of people work together and really just stressing the importance of color, the importance of that to our sanity, these Zen, monochrome palettes. I’ve stayed in a Claudio Silvestrin apartment since I was 26, and I love those types of palettes and that’s my opinion. And I have this opportunity to work with amazing professionals to get this painting across. I want it to become more of a moving painting than a political statement or a fashion statement. This is strictly . . . not strictly, you can take it how you want; obviously I’m a very socially charged human being. But at the end of the day, I’m just simply an artist trying to express myself, trying to finish my sentences just like my daughter can.

On if he’s still running for presidency in 2020: Oh definitely.

On people reacting well to his presidential ambitions: Especially from the six years of this misconception or the six years I went through of “We don’t like Kanye.” And then as soon as I said that, it was like, “Wait a second, we would really be into that, because actually if you think about it, he’s extremely thoughtful. Every time he’s ever gotten in trouble, he was really jumping in front of a bullet for someone else. He’s probably the most honest celebrity that we have.” I didn’t approach that because I thought it would be fun. It wasn’t like, Oh, let’s go rent some jet skis in Hawaii. No, the exact opposite. I sit in clubs and I’m like, Wow, I’ve got five years before I go and run for office and I’ve got a lot of research to do, I’ve got a lot of growing up to do. My dad has two masters degrees. My mom has a PhD, she used to work at Operation PUSH. Somehow the more and more creative I get, the closer and closer I get to who I was as a child. When I was a child, I was holding my mom’s hand at Operation PUSH. I think it’s time. Rap is great. It’s fun. It’s fun to be a rock star, and I’ll never not be one I guess, but there’ll be a point where I become my mother’s child. With all the things I’ve done that people would consider to be accomplishments, what’s the point where I become the person that Donda and Raymond West raised? My parents’ child.

On giving up creativity for presidency: I think about that. Because it’s so therapeutic for me to sit and work for seven days. We work on the collection year-round, every day to the office, we have an amazing team, but then you have that seven days before the show where you just really, really don’t sleep. . . . I have to stay creative. The whole point is to have someone [in office] that’s creative, that’s around amazing creatives. This is my theory: I think the world can be helped through design, so it’s very important that I stay around creative, forward thinkers. It’s very important that I continue to design, to be in practice of trying to make the best decisions possible. I hate politics. I’m not a politician at all. I care about the truth and I just care about human beings. I just want everyone to win, that’s all I can say, and I think we can. . . . I think the words “dreamer” and “passionate” diminish my will to execute. Because to be passionate about something or to dream about something does not say that it was executed. So when we talk about second season, it was executed. When we went and had a great season with stores, with Barneys and Luisa Via Roma and all these amazing stores, that was executed. When those Yeezys came out and sold what they did, that was executed. You can have the longest intellectual artistic conversation about anything and it all means nothing without execution.

You can read up more of his interview here.

1. Hanee

September 24, 2015 at 5:58 pm

And Kim will be the first lady?

• ATL's finest

September 24, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Lol exactly what I thought when he announced it at d VMAs I fell out of my chair.. But I will rather vote for Mr. West than Donald Trump jeez I can’t deal with all these presidential nominees neither do I trust any of them smh

2. Lol

September 24, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I mean kanye its cool and all that you want to grow as a person but there is no way Kim K is going to be my fotus ( aka first lady).
    No one will take our country serious at all.
    Dont waste millions in campaign money for this.

• Olu

September 24, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I bet some people once said this about the black Michelle

• ATL's finest

September 24, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Oh pls Olu don’t ever compare Michelle Obama to Kim K as first lady that’s very insulting.. Beside, I can’t even imagine Malania Trump as first lady let alone Kim K. No offense but like seriously? Mr. West could go a long way but its a total package so will be judged a lot with his partner’s behavior thru out d yrs. $$$$$ can’t buy presidential seat. And I have never heard anyone say such about Michel le & U know why, because she’s part of d success holding Pres Obama down.

• Olu

September 25, 2015 at 2:49 am

My statement is still true. At some point in ime, no one believed we could have a black president and first lady. But..here we are…

• Leah

September 25, 2015 at 4:12 am

Yes because Michelle Obama a Harvard and Princeton educated lawyer and mother of two. A woman who happens to be married to an equally educated man. A woman who got where she is through hard work and brains, and not by the size of her inflated ass or how many man has ramped through her, is just like Kim Kardashian. I am not surprised this comment came from you, you always sound so empty headed.

• Anon

September 24, 2015 at 10:17 pm

FLOTUS*

3. jess

September 24, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Ray J will definitely be rooting for Kanye because if by any miracle he wins, the sex tape will sell all over again making him a very very rich man.

4. Tosin

September 24, 2015 at 6:50 pm

crazy. crazy. and yet, always honest. i’m inspired.

5. Bossy Entertainment

September 24, 2015 at 6:50 pm

He cannot win

6. yellow sisi

September 24, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Hmmm rude boy as a president,if they will allow black man again.Obama Legalised gay marriage,Kanye will legalise anti-christ.

7. Tosin Math

September 24, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Somebody need to shut this Nigga up before he even contest, Shit !!! Ray J be talking oh,…I actually Smashed the First Lady few years ago in a Sex Tape..Imagine that kinda Shit ????

So which advise will Kim K be giving as First Lady to the young girls growing up in the U.S ?.
    Mehn all the new born female children be turning to Hoes as they grow.

Its like the are giving Kanye too much audience in the White House, Nigga needs to realise this ain’t House of Cards, This is real Life !!!

• Tosin

September 25, 2015 at 6:09 am

when i become prime minister of zamunda, there’ll be dozens of people who’ll be able to say they … with me. i don’t know if the word is smashed in most cases tho. did you actually watche the Kim / RayJ thing? it was a little boring, and i would not call any of the motions there smash-like. Just saying. Kim is sort of this lame, plastic doll, but if we make it Biblical, she “knew” the guy, the guy “knew” her, why must you call it something else?

• Tosin math

September 25, 2015 at 11:33 am

What? I watched the Kim k / Ray J , And you don’t call that Smash? Is it until she starts shouting an crying Loud before you know she’s been smashed. OMG !!! The video is not even full clip, that wasn’t the only time they had SEX, they just decided to Film / Record that particular Scene.

8. l

September 24, 2015 at 9:14 pm

if only i had a hint of kanye west in my attitude and overall confidence by now i for don become the baddest ever liveth lmao!!! even if half of America believed in Kanye west becoming a president they wont vote for him cause of kIM kARDASHIAN… all those nude pics, no one will ever take America serious… no one!!!

9. Melanie

September 24, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Joker! Maybe in another County sha but we never know….

10. zeal

September 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Joker!

11. zee

September 24, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Narcissistic,egoistic,hysterical,paranoid personality…. who wil vote him in??? The media shld stop givin him attention plzzz.

12. aikay

September 24, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I knew this was Kim’s idea, she thinks her 45million fans will translate into 45million votes forgetting the fact dt 70% of her fans are teenagers who use her naked pics and sex tape for masturbation. I know kanye is just dreaming sha because being an american president requires a lot of formal education which neither him nor his – wife have.

13. carina

September 24, 2015 at 10:09 pm

He will become the president in his dreams.
    ckjacob.com

14. Anon

September 24, 2015 at 10:16 pm

FLOTUS*

15. amh

September 24, 2015 at 10:26 pm

And kim the slut. will be the first lady. shes your undoing. never in your lifetime. your wife is a hoe. dont waste your money.

16. hmm

September 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Kanye try being mayor or governer first let see how you get on with that. He believes he Ronald Regan sigh

17. Ebere

September 25, 2015 at 2:09 am

The things “WEED” makes you do cannot be over emphasized……..

• Tosin

September 25, 2015 at 6:10 am

best comment 😀 😀 loool

18. cleo

September 25, 2015 at 6:10 am

The weed he smoked must be made in China

19. Mrs_ID

September 25, 2015 at 9:10 am

It’s funny how no one read the interview y’all just jumped on the Bash Kanye Wagon. A lot of you are more bothered about Kim being first lady than whether or not Kanye will do a good job. Permit to call you lot a bunch of w*******s.

20. Tiki

September 25, 2015 at 9:27 am

I may not have understood a lot of what he said, but this “You can have the longest intellectual artistic conversation about anything and it all means nothing without execution.” IS. A. WIN.

21. Kenechukwu

September 25, 2015 at 10:20 am

Dear Kanye west, you must be high on concentrated weed straight from Jamaica.

So thats why you turned into a new leaf? From the Arrogant Kanye to A Gentle Kanye.

Thats why you apologised to Taylor Swift after 6years of embrassing her on the stage and you sent her flowers just to get votes right? Lmao. This man thinks he’s smart.

Oga you diddn’t remember how you chased innocent kids away in Disneyland just because your daughter wants to celebrate her birthday there.

“IMMA LET YOU FINISH KANYE BUT YOU WON’T WIN”.

Just face your rapping stuff, leave both fashion and presidential stuff alone. You are not in that category.

I can imagine Kim being the First Lady, the 1st law she will make will be that every lady should always go in their birthday suit.

And Ray J will be giving testimony of how he hit the First Lady first. Lol

22. miller

September 25, 2015 at 11:42 am

Where is his PHD na?
    Is it by my dad has this my mum has dat dat makes one qualified?
    No be music be this oh
    This is america

23. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

September 25, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Why are we arguing about Kim being First Lady or not when it’s almost certain they won’t be together come 2020. Besides, we all KNOW Kanye ain’t smelling that Oval Office. Next thread please!

24. Fancy

September 30, 2015 at 12:28 pm

As far as I am concerned Kanye just ranted rubbish in this interview. He isn’t really settled. He should learn to understand the question first before answering. He wants to throw in everything in his mind during interviews… chill Bro