News

Sorry Serena…Tennis Superstar is OUT of the US Open | Misses Calendar-Year Grand Slam

BellaNaija.com

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 11: Serena Williams of the United States reacts against Roberta Vinci of Italy during their Women's Singles Semifinals match on Day Twelve of the 2015 U.S. Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 11, 2015 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images for the USTA)

NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 11: Serena Williams of the United States reacts against Roberta Vinci of Italy during their Women’s Singles Semifinals match on Day Twelve of the 2015 U.S. Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 11, 2015 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images for the USTA)

This is not how the story was supposed to end.

Tennis superstar Serena Williams was on course for a calendar year Grand Slam.
In the past, she has won all the major tournaments and has achieved the “Serena Slam” by holding all Grand Slams at the same time but not in the same calendar year.

This time, she was aiming to take things to the next level by winning all the major tennis championships in the same year – Australian Open, French Open (Roland Garros), Wimbledon and finally the US Open.
She had won the first 3 this year and after winning the first set of her semi-final match against unseeded Italian Roberta Vinci, Serena fans were already celebrating in advance.

Unfortunately, it was not meant to be as she lost the next 2 sets 6-4 / 6-4.

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 11: Rapper Drake attends the Women's Singles Semifinals match between Roberta Vinci of Italy and Serena Williams of the United States on Day Twelve of the 2015 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 11, 2015 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. (Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)

Drake watching Serena’s match

Serena fans are inconsolable and many are blaming her rumoured boyfriend Drake for “distracting her”. Coincidentally, Serena was spotted leaving the stadium with Drake.

We are still very proud of Serena and while she may not have the same-year Grand Slam. She is undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes in the history of Tennis.

Photo Credit: Getty Images – Matthew Stockman | Mike Stobe

1. aikay

September 12, 2015 at 12:15 am

Serena you see Drake is a big distraction. You leave your tennis practice go dey STRAFF Drake now see the result. Nyoiiiiii…….

2. Tola

September 12, 2015 at 12:18 am

Drake. Na true talk? oya, the ball is in your court. I think a woman will be focused if she wants to be, it’s like saying that you did not pass your exams because you had a relationship, that should encourage you actually. Those who are usually discouraged are the ones who go through a break up. My friend ran out of school, didn’t do exams, during our professional course she laughed at her stupid mistake, had become a Christian and moved on. The last time I heard about her, she was married with a daughter

• Kiki

September 12, 2015 at 2:33 am

I will have to disagree with that.Im not blaming Drake but I do think that it would make sense (if that were the case) that he might have affected her focus.Speaking from experience, I know that having someone close to me,whether a relative or partner,involved somehow in my educational or professional environment definitely affected my performance.Not saying that they made me perform badly but they just added to the pressure and stress I was under. We arent robots so we have emotions and Its hard for us to control those emotions, we cant switch them on or off. When a particular person gets involved in a situation,we automatically change how we would normally act in said situation,thats why they say not to mix business with pleasure.

• Ngozi

September 12, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I guess people are different. In my own case, not having a relationship when I thought I should actually affected my performance. The girl that came top of class(1st class) during my professional course was married with a child. In fact during one of my exams, I was actually thinking about not being married. Distraction is a maturity issue, if you are mature, you will realize that most people respect you for your achievements including the second person in the relationship. Age is not maturity, your thoughts must be purposeful if you will remain mature. Secondly, distraction stems from the kind of guy you are with. I am married to a man who hears God and gets on my case if I am underperforming. He got on my case this year regarding a major step and now I have received congratulatory messages from family and friends.When I told my mum about the success, she said she knew that we were celebrating now and not later because my hubby got on my case. I don’t wait for him to put the fire on before I do the right thing. In that case, I just felt that we should wait a while. Anyway, I am not the focus here, I am just saying that mature women are tough and you can’t always blame someone else for everything. Did Venus also lose her place because of a man? We have to be an inspiration in our relationship, if you get distracted and failed, what’s the use and I am not talking about Serena but about women who get distracted, don’t you think that the guy will respect you more and get inspired, maybe if you are in your twenties sha, you can keep failing and blaming it on a man but if you are married with responsibilities, you’ll think twice before you let anyone cause you to fail o. Pikin de there. Bills are there, tax season knocking on the door. failure cannot come in. Never.

3. Bruness

September 12, 2015 at 1:24 am

Was rooting for her, either way she’s a bad ass and a Champion!!!!

4. Amh

September 12, 2015 at 1:27 am

Drake is bad luck.

5. Still I

September 12, 2015 at 1:54 am

E pain me shaa. Really wanted her to win it all this year.

6. Anon

September 12, 2015 at 2:02 am

She will be back.

Serie A will take a back seat tomorrow for an all Italian final.

7. Tunmi

September 12, 2015 at 2:31 am

You’re still a winner Serena, still a champ, and still a GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)

• brown-ice

September 12, 2015 at 4:14 am

Seriously? *side eyes*

• Na We We

September 12, 2015 at 7:01 am

The GOAT is still Steffi Graf. She’s won more majors and also completed the year grand slam sweep. When Serena retires, she’ll then be the GOAT cos I expect her to have more major wins and additional accolades. The babe is an exceptional competitor.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

September 12, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Steffi Graf – my bae of the tennis courts in the 90s. ?

Are she and hubs Andre still together? Long time no hear….

8. Solomon

September 12, 2015 at 3:47 am

Drake is a bad influence . Now you are out of YS open. ‘Please think before you come for the great one please’

yeyepikin.com/

9. Lilo

September 12, 2015 at 4:47 am

Another poof that alpha males fare better in life without he D. My cousin is a director with an oil and. Gas major. Single @ 40. She swears she has the best performance year when she is not dating a guy and that her subpar performance years are the years she had once useless boy or another distracting her.

• iyke

September 12, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Don’t throw the alpha male arguement here..Put your ego on a leach.Who cares if your sister is a CEO at Wall street?
      We all know that there’s always a negative correlation between performance and external impacts.In every aspect of your life,you aren’t likely to perform to your best if you are distracted from the job at hand.
      Experimental psychology 101 – Effects of anxiety
      (external factors) on job performance.

• Lilo

September 12, 2015 at 2:03 pm

*alpha females fare better

10. nestradamus

September 12, 2015 at 4:53 am

man proposes, GOD disposes. simple

this was just to remind her that she is not perfect, she does not tomorrow and she can take a lesson in humility just like the rest of us.

pele

• nestradamus

September 12, 2015 at 4:54 am

does not know** tomorrow

11. Missy J

September 12, 2015 at 5:16 am

Hiaann!!!…. And no one could congratulate Roberta Vinci. Abeg, stop sugar-coating losses.
    Congrats Roberta!!

12. mabel

September 12, 2015 at 6:02 am

Awww so sorry Serena. Venus thank you for weakening my babe. You haff tried.

13. Na We We

September 12, 2015 at 6:35 am

Blame it on the rain (as in Milli Vanilli)… if dem for play the match on the regular scheduled day, she 4 win naa.

14. Tosin

September 12, 2015 at 6:58 am

Italians are wicked joo, not fair 🙂

15. Regina

September 12, 2015 at 7:11 am

she’ll always be my idol.

16. kanyin

September 12, 2015 at 7:19 am

Loool @ drake being the “causer”
    Funny thing is, the first thing(name) that came to my mind when I saw this was Drake.
    Truth is, we can’t blame drake for this… she let herself be distracted and well.. it’s one of those things… we are human beings. and I agree with Tunmi.

17. 'Deola

September 12, 2015 at 7:19 am

Now I wish Serena lost her match against her sister. Venus should have had an easy win over Roberta methinks. I had wished Serena would have found ways to focus amidst the pressure and enormously distracting media exposure. Poor gal ! She came within grasp of the Calendar slam. Better luck next time !

18. ola

September 12, 2015 at 7:59 am

what you get when you start rolling with the Kardashian

• Ola is an Idiot

September 12, 2015 at 11:27 am

Oponu ni e, she has been friends with Kim for Yonks, ode jati jati

• Dee

September 14, 2015 at 3:29 am

Actually,in defense of Ola, TMZ said the same thing last week when she hung out with Kim before the match with her sister. They were just joking that she had a big match and was hanging out with Kim…like Kim may just be bad luck for her in this game. But then its TMZ, they joke about everything….lol

19. shady

September 12, 2015 at 10:40 am

Why blame drake. When she was wining who stood by the side cheering her on ?. It was not ment to be this time. Better luck next time Serena. Still d best .

20. Ebere

September 12, 2015 at 1:04 pm

If you don’t fail, you will not appreciate your success, as for Drake, if i were you i would dump him because he is badluck………..#YouCan’tWInEveryGame#

21. Ugh

September 12, 2015 at 1:58 pm

So pissed. I saw the match and didn’t focus much initially as I just assumed the winner. You should have seen how quiet the stadium was towards the end. Even Roberta said she never expected to win. Truth is she played a much better game. Roberta was hungry! Moral of the lesson – don’t get too comfortable. Now I’m left with a final game of two down the line players! Ugh!

22. Joe

September 12, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Drake her distraction? Big Sigh****

23. Blen

September 12, 2015 at 6:15 pm

What nonsense!!! How can Drake be a distraction???? Serena is a mature woman in her mid 30s for christ sake, nobody can be a distracation to her except she lets them. There’s one comment above that talked about somebody being a CEO and bla bla bla, that is absolute bants. There’s different aspects of every individuals life that are seperate and should be kept so!Why is it that they never blame Federa’s or Nadal’s poor performances on women??? What is Drake is a distraction? What BS? please she lost because she Roberta was more determined and prepared! There a married women CEOs with husband and kids, is that not distraction enough?

24. chigirl

September 13, 2015 at 2:57 am

Abeg if she’s found love with Drake, she’s still a winner, Life is not all about tennis abeg. Love/family is also important. She should get married joor, tennis will always be there. She’s got many more games to play & ,many more chances tio win!