News

“How Chaz B Died” – Heartbreaking Moments revealed as wife files Petition against Hospital

BellaNaija.com

CHAZ_BChaz B‘s wife is devastated. Chinyere Roselin Chukuma has asked the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) to investigate doctors in the employ of the hospital where he husband died.

It has been a very difficult 11 months for she and their daughter since the passing of her husband and now, the popular broadcaster of “Sharing Life Issues” fame is speaking out and trying to get answers.

In a petition presented before the MDCN, she accused the hospital of negligence, and urged “the Investigation Panel to investigate the doctors in the employment of St. Nicholas Hospital and find out if there has not been a case of incompetence and gross negligence made out against them.”

According to the Guardian Newspaper, the petition titled “Affidavit of Gross Negligence of Doctors of Saint Nicholas Hospital in Lagos in the Medical Case of Late Mr. Charles Bruce Chukuma” was deposed to as an affidavit before the High Court of Lagos State by Mrs Chukuma and filed by Olaolu Osanyin, the medical lawyer representing Chukuma’s family and estate.

Below is her account of what happened as outlined in the affidavit and shared with online publications including the Guardian Newspaper and Sahara Reporters.

***
My husband called me at about 6:40 AM, Friday the 21st of November 2014, from work. He asked me to come and pick him up, that he was not feeling too good. I left with the driver to get him. When I got there, he was too uncomfortable, and he asked me to take him home. But on our way home, I noticed that he was in pains, so I asked the driver to reverse the car and head instead to the hospital (St. Nicholas Hospital in Lagos).

On reaching there, we met, the receptionist. I asked if there was a Doctor around. This was around 7 PM. She said yes and after some time we were asked to go into Room 2. Right there we met a young Doctor called Dr. A. He asked a few questions that I answered while my husband was wallowing in pains. He (Dr A) opened an emergency file because according to him, my husband’s file was locked up in Dr. B’s office, and no one has access to that office. I told Dr. A that my husband had incisional hernia surgery done a few months back at the same hospital, August to be precise and it was performed by one Dr. C an India man, and Dr. D at St. Nicholas Hospital. He started to examine him. He then left us in his office and said he was coming back.

He came back after some minutes and said he was trying to reach Dr. D from the reception, but he is not getting through. So I used my husband’s phone and dialed Dr. D and got through. At this point, I gave the phone to Dr. A, and he started explaining to Dr. D, what he thought was the problem. Dr. D on the other end asked if my husband was in pains, and Dr A said yes. Dr. A told Dr. D that he was suspecting intestinal obstruction. Dr. D asked if there was any swelling around where the incision was done, but Dr.A said no. Dr D asked if there was any reddish sign around the same area, and Dr A said no. So Dr. A suggested giving him antibiotics, but Dr D said that they have to be careful what they give him, since he is a post kidney transplant patient. Dr Dasked them to give him a particular injection twice to ease the pains, and he said that they should observe him till the next morning. So I left to go get him what he had asked for (his tea and his stockings). On my way around Bonny Camp, I got a call from a strange number, when I picked up; it was Dr. A, on the other end. He asked me to turn back to come pick up my husband, and I asked why?

He (Dr A) said that my Husband is feeling much better, and wants to go home. I asked the driver to reverse and head back to the hospital. And on getting there, I went in and asked the Dr. again why he wants me to take him home. He repeated once again that he feels much better and I asked Dr A if he was asking me to take him home because he thinks he feels better or that the hospital doesn’t have a bed for him. I asked this because the nurse had mentioned earlier that she needed to check for bed space. Dr A at this point told me that my Husband would be fine, he asked me to take my Husband home and bring him the following morning. Meanwhile, before then, Dr A wrote a prescription of drugs for my husband which I took to the pharmacist and when the lady there saw it, she asked which Dr. I saw. I told her that it was Dr. A. She moved over to the other side and called the Dr’s office. They both argued about the drug that he wrote, she then gave me just1 tablet of Exforge. When my husband got up from the hospital bed, he staggered and I held him and asked if he’s fine. The Dr. said that it’s the injection that was given to him that he would be fine. So I took him home.

We got home. And just about 15minutes after, my husband said he felt like throwing up. I brought a bowl to him, and he vomited, and he felt a bit better. He slept for some time and got up in excruciating pain.
Immediately I jumped into my clothes and then called Dr. D, to say that we are on our way back to the hospital. He said no problem that the doctor will be waiting for me. I asked, which doctor? And he said the doctor is their senior surgeon by the name Dr. Z. Dr D said that Dr. Z was the doctor on call. We got to the hospital in less than 20 minutes; my husband came down from the car himself. He walked into the hospital by himself before he was wheeled into the ER. Then came Dr. A, and I asked him about the senior surgeon, and he told me that he would be coming very soon. I wasn’t too happy with that, as I had mentioned to Dr. D that my husband was in serious pains. I expected to see a consultant like he said. Dr A started by
trying to put him on a drip that took forever, as he was unable to successfully get his veins while my husband was languishing in pain.

My husband kept telling them (Dr. A and the nurse) that he wants to throw up or use the restroom, and he would be fine. He kept saying that if he throws up he will be fine. Meanwhile, Dr. A was taking instructions on the phone from Dr. Z. This was when I asked when the Dr. would come. I kept asking, “when will the doctor come?” And Dr. A said Dr. Z asked him to get my entire husband’s information. Dr. A told me that they are waiting for the Radiologist and the Anaesthesiologist, and none of these people showed up.

My husband kept on saying that he wants to throw up. But then, Dr. A asked the nurse to give him an injection, I asked what the injection was for? And he said it will stop him from vomiting. He became so uncomfortable and was losing his breath. They put him on oxygen, but I guess he was already choking.

Meanwhile, Dr A was still taking instructions from Dr. Z on the phone. At this time, he started gasping for air. Meanwhile, before then, another doctor showed up. I don’t know his name, but he’s average in height and dark complexioned. He inserted a suction tube into his mouth, but I guess he was two hours or more late with that. Because if that was done when I brought him to the hospital that morning, he would have been here with me today.

If Dr. Z were at the hospital, even after he was told that it was an emergency; my husband would have been here with me. If the anesthesiologist was at the hospital, he probably would have been here with me. If the radiologist were around on that morning to at least see what was happening inside of him, he probably would have been here with me. If Dr. A knew exactly what he was doing that morning without taking instructions from Dr. Z on the phone, with an emergency case right in front of him, my husband would have been here. My husband died of total negligence on the part of St. Nicholas Hospital, and I know it. Like I said earlier, the doctor was 2 hours plus late with the suction, because, at this time, the nurse was already calling my husband’s name, shouting “Mr. Charles, Mr. Charles!” He was given four adrenaline injections. The drip wasn’t going at all, all this while lest I forget. I watched my husband struggled to breath. I watched him fight for his life, and I was right there when he died. And even though they were busy with CPR, I knew when he passed on because immediately he stopped struggling, fluid started gushing out of his mouth and nose, I knew that was it. That was the same fluid that was choking him. If there were a senior consultant or surgeon at the hospital as at when I brought him, he probably, would have been helped. In between all this, Dr. A at a time said to Dr. Z on the phone that he should come now as the patient is in a critical condition. He said to the same Dr. Z that 11 O’clock might be too
late. I brought my husband at about 6 AM to St. Nicholas Hospital and he died at about 9.30AM without receiving prompt and adequate care.

Human life cannot continue to be lost so cheaply in Nigerian Hospital, people must be made to account for their actions as professionals hence I have contacted my Lawyers to investigate the cause of death as he has died with our dreams, aspirations, and vision and planned future together.

Hospital’s Response
When contacted, St. Nicholas Clinical Director, Dr Ebun Bamgboye, told The Guardian that the hospital did not do anything wrong during the treatment of the late broadcaster.

Bamgboye said: “Like she (Chukuma’s wife) mentioned, she has taken the case to MDCN. Ideally, it will be pre-judicial of us to go ahead and discuss the case. Of course, we did not do anything wrong. But it will be wrong for me to start discussing the details of the case. And I think pending when it is reported that the case has been investigated, it will be unfair for anybody to pass any judgment. MDCN has asked for our comment, and we have responded. When they call us during trial, we will state our part of what transpired.”

1. B.E

October 24, 2015 at 8:13 am

Lord help all of us!!!! I feel for Mrs Chukwuma and her family and pray this is looked into thoroughly

2. i.a

October 24, 2015 at 8:40 am

Read the entire article in another blog where the doctors names were actually mentioned.if what the wife is saying is really true,then it’s bad.

3. Trudy

October 24, 2015 at 8:54 am

This is a painful experience. I couldn’t bring myself to finish reading it. It’s like I was living the experience with de widow. I hope she gets justice. Unfortunate dat her husband died

4. Lanre

October 24, 2015 at 9:04 am

We need to do something drastic about the health sector.

5. nene+

October 24, 2015 at 9:23 am

Nigeria factor playing out in every field! An average school,office,bank,hospital is understaffed!!

Chaz B as narrated if was given this shabby attention, think of other people without name who has been killed by act of negligence???

The day I visited st Nicholas first time ever I brought down the roof due to my inability to see a doctor for several hours! As I waited in their reception, only two doctors where said to be available even tho I noticed only one! He then was saddled with emergencies.

St Nicholas truly you lack doctors for your too many patients! Imagine no bed space! St Nicholas you can do better as a class A hospital!

Not just st Nicholas .but several others!

• Real

October 24, 2015 at 10:41 am

What a surprise, nene didn’t politicize this issue as per her usual modus operandi.

• Nerve

October 25, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Borrow urself brain @Real or buy one. Idiat.

6. EvilPoliticians

October 24, 2015 at 9:27 am

No wonder you see our politicians flying out at the slightest ailment, after they have bastardized the system finish. Their reward awaits them and theirs

7. chukwukadibia

October 24, 2015 at 10:12 am

This st made me cry, so sad.the negligence in in country..

8. Amaa

October 24, 2015 at 10:41 am

NMA the time has come for you to set up a mechanism to report, investigate and sanction doctors who through negligence have killed people. Its easy for you to go on strike when you are aggrieved . Sadly this story is all too familiar in Nigeria. From the story it’s obvious he had an obstruction from the surgery I am no medical doctor but I know that hospital have 2 sets of files the soft copies which aces sable by code and hard copies is locked up in a safe. How can a doctor treat a patience without seeing a case file . It is usually at night you get emergency why do the inexperienced doctors have to be on duty at that time. The so called consultants are lounging in their homes after all in their minds they have paid their dues . Mrs Chukwuma I support you go all the way they have to pay for their negligence .

9. sultana

October 24, 2015 at 10:46 am

My people, let us pray never to be at the mercy of medical personnel in naija. Some months back, my sis was rushed to emergency at the national hospital in abuja, a known sickle cell patient.
    to even get a wheelchair at the reception was a challenge.

There was no doctor available as in only one doctor purportedly on call in the whole histology dept. We waited for almost there hours before she attended to us. There was no bed so my sis had to take drip seating on a chair. They wrote dozens of tests for her to do, no one even looked at them. Do you believe the next morning, that same doc from the night before was still on duty? Please think about that for a while. We had to seek a discharge against medical advice and leave that place.
    The cost nko? Very comparable to private hospitals and yet nothing to show. My people, let us pray not to be at the mercy of medical personnel in naija.

Chaz b was iconic and would be sorely missed. I pray his family receives closure from this process and those at fault be brought to book. Enough is enough. No to negligence!

• Omotee

October 24, 2015 at 6:42 pm

National Hospital is on another level of madness entirely. Many hospitals are horrible but National Hospital takes home the prize. When you do see a doctor to attend to you at night, it will be one young, inexperienced and over worked doctor that will not even know the proper thing to do. I can’t even tell you what we went thru with my 2 months old baby who needed urgent surgery. Thank God he made it. But pls I won’t use National Hospital to swear for anybody.

10. Paul Babalola

October 24, 2015 at 10:49 am

I sympathise with the wire. It’s unfortunate. My grouse with St Nicholas is that people pay huge amount of money to come to your hospital. St Nicholas is not UCH or LUTH. You pay through your nose to have surgeries/ consultation done. Am shocked, Chaz B was left alone with a Doctor I percenived to be a post NYSC doctor for a renal patient with a transplant is most unfortunate. MDCN should do a thorough investigation devoid of sentiments. A high fee paying hospital like St Nicholas subjecting a renal patient to such neglect is so unfortunate

11. mabel

October 24, 2015 at 12:19 pm

If it’s negligence abeg St Nicholas has A+ in that one. The same hospital my friend used when we were in 400 level. The Dr that carried out a surgery on her forgot something inside her tummy. See my mouth agape, the almighty St Nicholas hospital I screamed. I don’t know why people still go there. Rip Chaz B. I stopped listening to classic fm’s newspaper review when he died. He was the only person that could tame Jimmy Disu.

• SLA

October 24, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Mabel, Chaz B is different from Sly. Chaz was the anchor of ‘sharing life issues with ChazB’, on Rhythm FM i think. Sly was the co anchor on NRA on Classic FM with Jimi Disu

12. diamondsare4eva

October 24, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Saint Nicholas is such a crappy hospital. I went there like 10yrs ago when I was still in uni. I was given drugs, and given the same type of drugs twice. They gave me Novalgin and some other drugs. On beknown to me I was given the same Novalgin twice, the pharmacist must have given me two separate bags of Novalgin. I was supposed to take 2 tablets 3times a day, but I was taking 4tablets 3times daily. Doubling the prescription. And the name of d drug wasn’t written on it, so I didn’t even know wat I was taking. I just noticed I was getting really dizzy and light headed, cldnt go to class. Then I went home and my mum checked it and noticed. I was only 18 back then and didn’t ask doctors questions, but now every drug I’m given, I ask the name and what’s it’s for. That is how people overdose mistakenly. I never went back to Saint Nicholas after that.

13. Baby L

October 24, 2015 at 1:16 pm

St Nicholas should be shut down, my experience there is better imagined. I was rushed there at about 2am in excruciating pain and met only one doctor who i,m sure is a student doctor. All they could do for me was give me pain reliieve and asked me to go home and come back the following morning. I got back home about an hour later and started vomiting, the pains came back more severe. I was rushed back and had to wait in excruitiating pain for the Radiologist to resume work. I waited for almost 6hours for the guy to resume work at about 9.30 am. All thses while i was writhing in agony, the nurses were going about gisting and laughing. I thank God I survived that incident. It was a horrible experience for me and i vowed nothing will ever take me back to that place.

14. Me

October 24, 2015 at 1:27 pm

All the private hospitals are doing it. The first time I took my baby to a Pediatric hospital in lekki I was impressed with the experienced pediatrician I saw there. That was the first and last time I saw the lady there. Afterward each time I go I meet “children” fresh out of nysc telling me things I’ve already read on Google. I wasn’t Impressed and switched to a newer Pediatric clinic in vi. The set up was great and my baby immediately loved the two consultant pediatricians who are clearly experienced. Six months later I go to this same clinic and the twice I’m there I’m attended to by baby doctors who have to call on the phone to speak with the consultant. I’m getting really disappointed with medicare in this country. I agree the youth must learn and the consultants can’t die because of work but I think there should always be at least one experienced doctor on hand that can be consulted face to face in serious situations.

15. nene

October 24, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Nigeria! Nigeria! throwing up might have saved this man. St Nicholas hospital is just big bills for nothing. And that other expensive one, Reddington hospital, rubbish hospitals.

16. PD Young Billionaire

October 24, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Chaz B would probably be alive today if he wasnt taken to St Nicholas. Why on earth did they put a man that felt like throwing up on oxygen?They obviously made him choke to death!
    May God continue to rest his soul.

17. fleur

October 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm

why could chaz not throw up on his own? painful story.

18. Bowl

October 24, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I sympathize with Mrs Chukwuma over her husband’ s death. I also think he was mismanaged. There was no reason to send him home in a hurry considering the comobidity he has. There was a lot of carelessness here. However , I want to correct an impression, there is no such thing as student doctor. Anybody labelled Doctor, is licensed by MDCAN. A medical student is just like any other student. A post NYSC doctor is actually a big doctor

• Blessedheart

October 24, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The point is that he was obviously an inexperienced doctor

• Sika

October 24, 2015 at 10:02 pm

The fact is this. Doctors who just finished nysc are inexperienced. The medical school teaching in Nigeria does not equip them with the necessary skills – all they do is cram! No application. So they are Student doctors.

• Kenechukwu

October 25, 2015 at 12:13 am

I beg to disagree. Doctors who have finished NYSC actually have more than two years worth of experience. If you want a a concierge consultant on call, then you can always request for it. I’m sure they’ll oblige your pocket capacity

19. mabel

October 24, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Yes Sly. I miss him. Chaz B I heard just once. One program where people call in to tell him about their real stories abi? All the same RIP. God give the wife closure. I can’t even begin to imagine her pain when she was with him at the hospital before he gave up. God help comfort her. I sha don’t like St Nicholas.

20. nk

October 24, 2015 at 7:56 pm

It’s unfortunate, but this is the case in our nigerian hospitals mostly. In the private and public sectors. We have no emergency plan in most hospitals. In proper hospital systems you should have a functional emergency department with tons of doctors on ground, from the most junior to seniors. This is a specialty that we don’t even have in our nigerian medical curriculum. Emergency medicine. Every department should be functional regardless of what time it is and doctors on call should be accessible from the most junior to senior. The closest we have to this are our government hospitals. The situation is poor in these hospitals but that’s the best you can get in an emergency. Nigerians need to wake up oh, our healthcare is like Nepa….ITS BAD OOO.

21. NK

October 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm

and the funny thing is that the way the system is set up , we doctors are not encouraged to get to become consultants. The spaces are few, training is made unncecessarily difficult and besides, Nigerians don’t even value doctors. If i struggled to go through the next ten years to become a paediatrician, how much would you pay to consult with me? these consultants hustle. They are listed in the same private hospitals all over lagos. Its the same doctors everywhere. They cant be everywhere at the same time. You can’t meet these people at any time in these hospitals. This only happens when this consultant is fully fixed to one hospital and that can only happen if he/she is paid well enough. But its tough, its not possible. Hence the hustle, hence the outflow of young docs like me. Hence the outlfow of even consultants to leave the country. Its a complex situation. My dad was shot and my mum rushed him to the hospital, where she met a young doc with little resources to deal with a major situation like that. I work in the UK and i know what would have been done for my dad. Ive also been in that young docs shoes that face my bleeding dad. I don’t blame him for what he was unable to do. It’s a big problem we all have and we haven’t realised it yet. Its the same Nigerian story, with education, security, power, WE JUST NEED TO WAKE UP

22. Olajummie

October 24, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I am grateful to God for saving me. After the taking the first dose of chemotherapy and all the effects, there was a night I was rushed to the hospital because I knew I may not see the next day if not for God. The consultant told the nurse to give me an injection to stop the vomiting, I told her it’s possible I react to the injection. She replied that I should not worry. She administered the injection and I started with anxiety, I wanted to remove drips and was chocking. My sister called and she said, it’s normal. Thank God I am a nurse, I told her to give me hydrocortisone injection to counter the effects, she said the doctor didn’t prescribed it. Before, I knew what was going on, my younger sister called the consultant to inform him and that hydcort injection will safe me as if she knew (lol), thank God we were able to laugh over it weeks later. The consultant spoke with the nurse and immediately she gave the injection, I became calm and could breath well. I am also a health practitioner, the training is inadequate, the workload is much and all these baby professionals should be supervised by a senior person. What if I don’t know she ought to give me hydrocortisone? What if my sister was not proactive (some people will call her oversabi). It is painful to watch your loved one in pain not to talk of dying. If this is true, St. Nicholas is in for it o.

• Kenechukwu

October 25, 2015 at 12:23 am

I think it is discourteous to call your physician a ‘baby professional’. What if that hydrocortisone had a lethal effect on you, people will come and say that the hospital has killed you, yet no such instruction was given. Chemotherapy has immunosupressive effects and to add the immunusupression of hydrocortsione is a risk many doctors are not very prone to taking

23. gurl_wendy

October 24, 2015 at 10:39 pm

As even a pre-nysc doctor this is gross negligence on their part, how could they ask a person in obvious obstruction to go home????, who does that??, just when you think government hospitals are worse this just takes the cake, why didn’t they try to stabilize him as soon as he came in, he obviously had a strangulated/incarcerated hernia, a surgical emergency, who sends such a patient home??, who??, didn’t the Dr A attend medical school?, the shocking things you hear some doctors do, they make it seem like the rest of us hardworking doctors are incompetent, as if the training we receive is rubbish, that case wasn’t handled properly at all, even an ordinary medical student will tell you this, this is just plain negligence, so maddening I didn’t want to continue reading, they just sent him home, no investigations? , no simple ultrasound done to investigate?, they just sent home a post renal transplant patient?, no anesthesiologist or radiologist in a whole St Nicholas? such gross negligence… as bad as people think government hospitals are no sane doctor there would send home a post renal transplant patient with a past history of an incisional hernia and signs of an intestinal obstruction, no sane doctor, they just let him aspirate on his vomit and die, he practically choked in their presence, I hope they get their just desserts.

24. justsayying

October 24, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Very sad story. But you should know that the Nigerian medical association has laws concerning matters like this, and sadly no one will be prosecuted(according to its laws)!

25. Anon

October 24, 2015 at 11:32 pm

This is so depressing. I feel so sorry for Mrs Chukwuma. Nigeria is such a f-ed up country tbh. These people probably used St Nicholas because it’s ranked among the best private hospitals in Nigeria and they were expecting a great service from then, again considering how much they pay. If the govt hospitals were good, people won’t even be going to private hospitals. But the govt won’t employ enough doctors, the few they employ sef, the remuneration is poor and they are usually overworked, poor and outdated facilities and medicines, frustrated workers, no strict legislations against them, etc. And that’s where some people are stealing billions that could be used to build the nation. Our prayer should just be that God should keep protecting us and we should have no reason to be at the mercy of Nigerian hospitals ..

26. Kenechukwu

October 25, 2015 at 12:47 am

There is no doubt that St. Nicholas bungled their management of ChazB. This doesn’t mean that they were responsible for his death. Only proper audit will determine their level of culpability.

ChazB was already an unwell man being a post renal transplant patient on immunosupression. It is bad practice to send such a man home when he presents acutely. He should have been admitted as priority and assessed properly. However, you can’t blame the young doctor for taking instructions on the phone from his superiors because this man was a special case : a post renal transplant patient with recent surgery!! When I’m a Consultant and my intern attends to such a patient with talking to me, I fire him and file a case with MDCN!!

I understand the sadness of Mrs. ChazB and her desire to punish somebody and get some closure but the only people that will benefit from this are the lawyers. We already exist in a bad system as a country. The same way I don’t hope to ever need the police is the same way I hope never to need a hospital.

Finally, on an different but related matter, the new trend of “Google-ised patients” should be handled with care. The idea behind putting medical information on the web is not for it to usurp the place of doctors, but rather, provide the patient with more questions to ask the doctor. It gives you more information to dialogue with your doctor. Why can’t I use this drug? What about this form of therapy?

What we see is patients arguing with ‘baby doctors’ because of the information they’ve downloaded from Google. They feel a doctor is inept because he prescribes paracetamol for their child’s fever. They want something they have not seen on Google. Mothers are the worst culprits. I don’t argue with them. If they doubt my competence as a physician, they are free to go elsewhere.

• Mbaks

October 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm

That is if pride would let them answer your questions. Most of them would get angry. Or give you that ‘do I look like I don’t know what I am doing?’ look.

27. Winter

October 25, 2015 at 6:20 am

The health sector in this country is just so messed up. Our leaders are not helping matters. The health professionals are even making matters worse.. The disharmony among the doctors and non doctors is pathetic. All of them looking for increase in salary.. Fighting for their personal selfish ambition.. Government health professionals are one of the best paid in the country, yet they are fighting for more… Ahaaannn fear God.. I expect you people to all come together ( NMA, JOHESSU etc)and fight for the masses ( the poor child that dies because they can not afford to pay for simple malaria drugs, the poor pregnant woman who can not even afford to register for antenatal clinic.
    How about putting pressure on the government to provide some sort of health insurance. I’m 100% sure that if all that energy you people put in fighting each other is put into this cause.. The masses will in turn start fighting for your renumeration or whatever it is all of you want…

28. nony

October 25, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I had a similar experience in faith foundation clinic in Calabar. Horrible place, I came in with an asthma attack, I was left till I was totally exhausted, and almost unconscious. I was on admission for 1 week without improvement all ddey did was nebulize and give strange IM’s even when it was clear that I wasn’t responding well to ventolin. In my lifetime as an asthma patient I have never being given IM’s.
    I signed against medical advice and went back to my cliniic in ph. A few IVs and tablets I was far better and discharged in 48hrs.
    To. Think dat dat clinic witj dier substandard and outdated pratices is considered one of the Best in Calabar and is on the list of so many HmO’s goes to tell the state of health care delivery in Calabar.

29. it is saddening

October 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

That’s how they told my daughter to go home who wasn’t breathing well, just because they have nebulized her once, the useless lagoon hospital. My mum who retired as a director in UCH was infuriated when she heard. How would you send a baby home, not breathing well because you have nebulized , the baby should be kept in the hospital overnite for monitoring. it is only God that you can call in Nigeria when you are sick, pray like doctors don’t exist and have faith in the healer-GOD…else

30. Chi!

October 26, 2015 at 4:47 pm

May the soul of Chaz B rest in peace. Amen. May the Lord grant u n ur daughter the fortitude to bear d loss. Chaz B was a great man n made a positive impact in my life. i really miss Chaz B on radio. he is d best n will forever be the best ever. May u get justice for the death of ur husband ma. please I beg u to let go n let God, for if God didn’t permit the death of Chaz B, he wldnt hav died. God knows best. it is well wit u ma. i deeply feel ur pains but I pray my Good Lord to be wit u n ur daughter n still make ur dreams, aspirations n plans with Chaz B come thru in Jesus name. Amen.

31. G

October 28, 2015 at 10:12 pm

The state of some hospitals in Nigeria is akin to so many other problems Nigerians are facing. You really cant blame the “big men” in your country who would commission a hospital with facilities and equipment worth million of pounds today and travel abroad the next week for medical attention. I can only imagine that It’s a tough job being a doctor where the level of passion in your action, experience on the job, availability of equipments and professionalism will come together to determine the out come of an emergency case before you. I’m sure Mr. Chukuma’s (RIP) case is not peculiar as only a few have the courage and know the means to use and speak out and seek redress against things like this. ChazB (RIP) had a positive impact on so many people as I’ve listened to his program more than a couple of times. I hope the investigation and case before your courts is done openly and professionally. And most importantly, I hope Mrs. Chukwuma finds closure in it’s out come.