News

John Fashanu Admits Paying his Brother £75,000 to Prevent Him Coming out as Gay

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

John Fashanu

John Fashanu

In a new interview with UK’s Mirror, ex-footballer John Fashanu admits to having paid his brother, Justin Fashanu, hush money in the sum of £75,000 to prevent him from coming out as gay.

According to John, he begged his, threatened him, did everything he could possibly do to try and stop him coming out.

John Fashanu revealed “I gave him the money because I didn’t want the embarrassment for me or my family. Had he come out now, it would be a different ball game. There wouldn’t be an issue, but there was then. Things are different now. Now he’d be hailed a hero.”

In 1990, John Fashanu’s brother Justin had claimed to a newspaper that he had an affair with a married Conservative MP he met in a gay bar.

Justin committed suicide in 1998.

Incidents Leading up to Justin Fashanu’s Death

Justin Fashanu moved to the United States in 1998 where he got into some trouble and was question by police after a 17-year-old boy accused him of sexual assault.

According to reports, he was charged and an arrest warrant was issued but he had already left his flat and fled to England because he was afraid he would not get a fair trial because of his homosexuality.

He killed himself in London, in May 1998, and left a suicide note stating (among other things) that the sex with the 17-year-old had been consensual.

In his interview, John Fashanu expresses his regrets saying:

I’ll never forget when Justin first told me. He called me in the evening time and said to me: ‘I’m gay’. Then he said to me: ‘I’m planning to go to a newspaper’. I said to him: ‘Oh heavens forbid… oh my God. We don’t need that. You’re mad’. He promised when I gave him the money he would not go out and say that. Two days later… bang… headlines in a newspaper. I looked like a sucker. For me and my family it was like Hiroshima or Nagasaki on our lives. It knocked us dead, it was a total shock. People might not like it, but I was trying to protect my family. You’ve got to remember the public’s perception of homosexuality at that time was that it was an abomination . It was taboo. Street boys were beating up gays in nightclubs. I give him credit for having the courage to come out and say it. But it caused a lot of confusion and animosity towards him, me, and my family. During matches, 30, 40, sometimes 45,000 supporters sang at me: ‘You’re big… you’re black… your a*** is up for grabs… Fashanu… Fashanu’. As a result of him saying what he said, my mother died because of the stress. She actually died a year later on the day of his birthday. She was already old, very fragile and suffering cancer. Then to be told her second eldest son was a homosexual was too much. I’ve never spoken about these things before because I was stamped a homophobe. But things have changed and I make it very clear: I was wrong. It was ignorance on my behalf. I didn’t understand him. I was trying to protect my family and I was worried about the effect on my career. In the process I lost my brother and I am very sad about that. He committed suicide because he was so distraught the world would not accept a black man who was homosexual.

You can read up the rest of his interview here.

1. One love!

October 31, 2015 at 9:41 am

Nigerians need to take it easy o! Especially Nigerian parents! If your son/daughter is gay, it’s not a do or die affair! It’s painful, yes, but at then end of the day, IT’S NOT YOUR LIFE THEY’RE LIVING! God will not stop you from going to Heaven for your child’s sin! Accept it & either support the child or move on with your own life!

I wonder if Nigerian parents realise that their children actually have a life of their own! Or is it when they get married that you’ll finally let them be?

The very same Bible that says it’s a sin to be gay, is the same Bible that says “love thy neighbour”.

I’m a Christian & I’m 100% straight. Although I voted No in the gay marriage referendum, gay marriage is now part of our Law & I’ve accepted it.

• bruno fierce

October 31, 2015 at 10:26 am

u voted No in the gay marriage referendum and u are proud of ur decision? SHAME ON U. u should be ashamed of ur self.

lets end slavery, NO
      lets allow women to vote, NO
      let allow women to drive, NO
      lets end segregation, NO
      lets allow gay marriage, NO
      shame shame shame on everyone who is voting No for other people’s human rights.

and pls it is not painful to be gay. there’s no difference in gay people and straight people. if ur family member is gay, it is not ur business, cause it is not ur life. MIND UR F**KING BUSINESS.

kilode. science has explained to us why people are gay or straight. no matter what ur religion says, science is always right. scientific studies will always win over religion.

so pls just stop.

• curious

October 31, 2015 at 11:54 am

Dear Bruno I appreciate that you always put up a good defense for what you stand for, but this time you’ve got it wrong.
      You said science is always right and would always win over religion. That my dear, is a lie! Ok over religion maybe yes, but not over God and his word! You know how long it took scientists to tell the correct shape of the earth? But this info had long been recorded in the Bible.
      So pls defend your points but even in doing that make sure your words are not blasphemous.

• Lol

October 31, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Nice to know science woke you up today to allow you spew this rubbish.
      Thank science also for the air you breathe, food you eat and water you drink.
      Thank science most especially for journey mercies every day you decide to step out of your house.
      If not for science’s mercies, you would be rotting in the grave…right?!

• Quisite

October 31, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Shame on you too, Bruno!
      People have the right to do whatever they want, and vote in favor of whatever they want. I’ve never seen a pathetic dimwit like you before. You like to forcefully throw your ridiculous opinions and way of life down people’s throats. You’re gay, cool, that’s your damn business, but you shouldn’t get insulting or defensive when people do not support your lifestyle or way of life. Do you, and allow people to do them. I’ve realized from your comments that you want people to see things just the way you see them. Sorry, life certainly DOESN’T work like that.

• Nma

October 31, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Why shouldn’t he/she be proud of his/her decision Bruno? You’re just pathetic. I’m sure if he/she voted in favor, you wouldn’t be saying the same gibberish you’re saying now. Someone like you should not and can never be a leader. You’ll do things your own way and your way only.
      Simply cannot stand your unreasonable comments.

• bruno

October 31, 2015 at 1:06 pm

@curious

” You
      know how long it took scientists to tell
      the correct shape of the earth? But this
      info had long been recorded in the Bible.”

hahahahahaha.where in the bible does it say the earth is sphere? The Bible claims that the Earth has four ends and four corners. Only
      flat items can have corners and ends, and this is
      exactly what the bible is trying to express
      regarding the shape of the earth.

go and read the story about galileo and the catholic church then get back to me.

• M

October 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm

@bruno fierce… Hi, are you ok? The astrocious struggle, abuse, and discrimination that slaves (blacks) and women had/have to endure can never be compared to the situation faced by gays. One doesn’t choose to be born black or female yet one chooses to be gay so stop trying to ‘ride on the coat tails’ of other social groups’ rightful fight to justify yours. This tactic is so sickening.
      PS: No one can be born gay and I defy anyone to justify it scientifically otherwise. Nature was there before us, Humans, and is still there long after we depart. Can we learn to respect Nature and its way?

• Seriously

October 31, 2015 at 3:20 pm

@bruno fierce

The same science you speak of is God that made it possible. Science is God, God is science when used in the right context. Unfortunately, science has been distorted down to evolution and all this crap they try to say without the mention of God. But then you can’t speak of science without the mention of God because HE created everything. When it comes to homosexuality, it’s not just a religious issue where a pastor says it’s wrong. Although, God comes in the picture when it’s mentioned bcos that’s where it boils down to if you believe the same God who created you, for a purpose will just allow anything. The point of the matter is, it goes against nature and science.

• *curious*

October 31, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Bruno, you referring to this?
      ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1887219

Sorry i’m not sure how you can get access to the full article so you can see the data Simon Levay collected. Maybe if you sign-up on PubMed or you may have to purchase it.

Excerpt from familyresearchinst.org/2009/02/homosexual-brains/:

“Dr. LeVay explored the relative sizes of INAH-2 and INAH-3 in 19 homosexual males who had died of AIDS, 16 presumed heterosexuals (6 of whom died of AIDS) and 6 women (1 of whom died of AIDS).”

“3 out of the 19 homosexuals had a larger INAH-3 than the average size for LeVay’s group of ‘heterosexual’ males. In addition, 3 of the 16 ‘heterosexual’ male brains had a smaller INAH-3 than the average homosexual in LeVay’s study. If heterosexuals and homosexuals could truly be classified by size of the INAH-3 nucleus, why didn’t all the homosexuals have smaller INAH-3 nuclei and all the heterosexual males have larger INAH-3 nuclei?”

“Dr. William Byne has also noted that “The reliance on the brains of AIDS victims poses a serious interpretive difficulty because decreased testosterone levels are common in their cases…Furthermore, some of the drugs used to treat opportunistic infections associated with AIDS are also known to lower testosterone levels”

My conclusion: At best, Simon Levay’s conclusion, as you read in the abstract on the PubMed website, is a hypothesis. Poor sample size and the guy disproved his own hypothesis within his own study because the size of INAH-3 between any given homosexual male vs. heterosexual male wasn’t consistent with his hypothesis. His conclusion is ridiculous and it’s not worthy of being considered a scientific theory talk less of scientific law.

Anyways, you realize science community comprises of all kinds of people (homosexuals included) with different agendas, right? Just because a person is a scientist doesn’t take away their human flaws (e.g. being bias, lying to get what they want).

I find it funny that you’re quick to defend a study (with a flawed conclusion, at that) conducted by a man and also not in your presence but you’re quick to dismiss the Bible because they were written by men. If I remember clearly, you commented such on this same BN, that christians are silly for believing a book written by men OR something to that effect (I don’t remember clearly your exact words.)

Ok bye.

John 8:31-32
      “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

• e mi ni

November 2, 2015 at 12:56 am

In response to your comment where does the bible say the earth is round:
      The passage saying the earth is round is Isaiah 40:22: He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in

• Let God be true and every man a liar.

November 1, 2015 at 12:27 am

@one love, thankfully, in the mercies of God, gay marriage is NOT “part of our law” as Christians and neither is it “part of our law” as Nigerians.

Kindly, STOP confusing the Word of GOD and, also, presenting it as confused to others. God is clear; HIS Word is clear; and it is clear and without contradiction on homosexuality, from Genesis to Revelation. HE destroyed and wiped out Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis because of it, HE spoke HIS laws clearly concerning it in Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; and warns that those who engage in that lifestyle, (called “dogs”) will not enter into Heaven when they die. Revelation 22:15. (Just to give four or so examples out of several).

We cannot make God into the image we want, or that the times, or political correctness, dictate.

HE is God; not us. HE made us, and made us in HIS Own Image; and for HIS Own pleasure.

We are NOT God; and we CANNOT make God in our image, neither change HIM, change HIS Word. HIS Laws for our own pleasure.

“I AM The LORD, I change not.”

JESUS CHRIST the same, yesterday, today and forever.

“Heaven and earth shall pass away but My Word shall not pass away; not one jot nor tittle of My Word shall be changed; all shall come to pass.”

2. Deprene

October 31, 2015 at 10:11 am

…..’ur ass is for grabs’!!!….loooool. Hilarious.abeg make we laf small.

3. Deprene

October 31, 2015 at 10:16 am

Oga!!! B der.wait till ur 14 year old son is caught having sex wit a guy in his class and wen u r summoned by the principal den u tell them accepatance.

• Mbeke feeling funky

October 31, 2015 at 11:24 am

I’m confused by your statement, so if it was your 14 yr old son caught with a girl the. You would clap for him or what ?

• Mbeke feeling funky

October 31, 2015 at 11:26 am

Correction: then you would

4. Paul Babalola

October 31, 2015 at 10:35 am

It is by prayer and discipline. It is by praying for the mercy of the Lord. Even in UK where I live, English whites are very homophobic in their closset but they can’t show it publicly. There are 2 EPL players who are gay, one is even in the present national team of England, those guys are afraid to come out, they will be hounded bcos football fans when drunk are not that cultured again. Gay or lesbianism is a no no no. I don’t hate them, far from it, I just pray none of my children or relatives turn out to be 1. Even in very liberal societies like uk , USA and co, they taunt and make their lives miserable with some committing suicide.

5. Pity

October 31, 2015 at 10:37 am

I read this guy’s story. He and his brother had a rough childhood, picture being the only black kids around for miles in racist 60’s Britain. I believe they would have turned out differently had they been brought up by their parents rather than foster homes here and there.

6. Ddd

October 31, 2015 at 10:39 am

Meanwhile John is obviously doing this for publicity. His policy must likely be any publicity is better than none. What a shame. Dragging the memory of his late brother through the mud

• mrs chidukane

October 31, 2015 at 12:41 pm

How is he dragging his late brother’s name through the mud? Did we read the same article?

• Ddd

October 31, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I said memory, not name. They are not one and the same ma’am.

If you can’t see how his bringing up the sexual assault charge and other negativities about his brother drags his memory through the mud, then I’ll just have to accept we have different perceptions which is fine.

• Indiana Jones

October 31, 2015 at 1:54 pm

@ Ddd it is John Fashanu’s only claim to fame, his one card he plays for the UK public, over and over again. ‘Oh it’s been 5 years and no UK media rag has published a story about me, I think it’s about time I remind them (along with anyone who cares to listen)’…. cry cry throw tantrum.

7. adeanon

October 31, 2015 at 11:01 am

I’m sorry, but I don’t believe a word John Fashanu says. To part with N50,000 sef is hard for him. And yes i know this was in his football heydey- how much cash did he have?

He is always looking for attention.
    And no I am not Melissa, Dolapo, or Abigail.

• adeola

October 31, 2015 at 11:39 am

Lies, Lies and more Lies from John Fashanu, I can’t believe a word that comes out of his month, he is an attention seeking twat.. He is the sort of guy that fakes it till he makes it. He told the world that he had bought Barry Town FC whic was a big lie, he claimed to be a Sports Ambassador for Nigeria but that was another lie. b

• Ene

October 31, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Exactly. LOL.75 thousand pounds in those days.where he wan see am?

8. curious

October 31, 2015 at 11:45 am

I wonder why people have to come out as gay. How many straight people go to the media to announce that they are straight?
    Pls if you really feel its a normal way of life then I don’t see the need for the announcements. Be gay but don’t drag people into your dramatic bid to draw attention to yourself

9. Tari

October 31, 2015 at 11:47 am

I will not waste my empathy in John Fashanu.
    He is a narcissistic liar. So take what he says with a pinch of salt. His attention seeking syndrome is on fleek.

10. Anon

October 31, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Many years down the line, someone somewhere can say J.F played for the other side. Fash the bash who will do it for cash.

The reason he’s talking is for money and to see his views in light of recent reports that two EPL players are due to come out as gay.

Fash, always a voice of reason. Not!

• Anon

October 31, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I meant *played for the same side.*

11. jide

October 31, 2015 at 2:07 pm

The day John Fashanu parts with £75,000.00 pepper go rest. Heheh. First he is stingy as ferq. Secondly, he how much was he worth in the late 90s that he can afford that. John the eternall liar f*boy

12. M

October 31, 2015 at 2:49 pm

On anither note, this is a very sad story and I pray that God gives his mercy to his brother, mother, and all affected. I feel like we need to support and guide each other more with kindness and humility. May God grants us the wisdom to do so.

13. Author Unknown

October 31, 2015 at 3:21 pm

It seems to be all about public perception of gays then and now. You mean you couldn’t learn to love and accept your own blood even when society seemingly didn’t? Wow. A little bit of love from the family could have saved Justin’s life. Between your conscience and your God now sha.

14. femfem

October 31, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Spot on!. Why define yourself by your gayness. Why the need to talk about it. Being gay means you sleep with people of the same sex. Is that the sum of who you are. I Dont even think it should come up in conversation

15. Rachel

October 31, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Bruno u are frustrated

16. Moyo

October 31, 2015 at 8:10 pm

John Fashanu, Always seeking attention since 1900, of what relevance is this ancient history to us now. Biko look for something else to get attention and let your brother soul rest in peace.

17. Author Unknown

October 31, 2015 at 8:30 pm

In a perfect world femfem, but we both know we’re very far from living in one. Mere knowledge of someone being gay, however insignificant like you say, can totally change the way that person is perceived, even by the people who claim to love them.

18. Oj

November 1, 2015 at 12:27 am

@bruno, Isa 40:22 refers to the shape of the earth as a circle

And as regards galileo, hold the Catholic Church responsible for their wrong interpretation of the Bible and the unjust treatment of galileo

19. Cici

November 1, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Homosexuality is an addiction, like people are addicted to alcohol and cocaine; anyone caught in its web, needs psychological and spiritual help. It is not natural and has never been. If it is right why do you think then that God the Almighty, All Wise and the All Merciful One will condemn it, and it is abomination across all religions of the earth, it is evil.

Sorry about the death of you brother Fashanu, but he is NOT a hero and never was. He needed help, instead of giving him 75,000 to shut him up, you and your family should have sought help for him (spiritual or otherwise).

NB: Is it me or do I truly suspect that Bruno is the Same as Denrele Edun? Denrele, please stop haunting Bellanaija and go seek help too. Thank you..

20. e mi ni