News

Rescued after being Married at Age 9 to a 78 Year Old Man – Read Younis’ Story

Younis Rescued CNN“When I was about nine years old, my father married me off to an old man who was 78 years old,” she explains, the memories of her harrowing experience still raw. “I went to his home and I stayed with him one week.

“He told me that I will be a wife but I was just innocent, I wanted to come to school. But that man wanted me to be a third wife. I told him, I will not be your wife, and he caned me.

This is Younis‘ story.

She ran away from this horrible situation and was rescued by Josephine Kulea and her Samburu Girls Foundation.

According to the CNN report on Younis’ ordeal,

The Samburu are an ancient Kenyan tribe pastoralist cattle herders, said to be “distant cousins” of the Maasai. Even to outsiders, their languages and customs are strikingly similar.

Younis and other girls like her have dared to break away from some of these traditions — child marriage, female genital mutilation and beading (the practice of promising girls to their male relatives for sex) –which are illegal in Kenya.

But in doing so they risk being disowned by their families and communities.

Josephine Kulea

Josephine Kulea

Josephine Kulea started the Samburu Girls Foundation after her 2 young cousins went through the same ordeal.

Details of the cultural practices which the young girls endure including female genital mutilation, sexual relations with relatives and child marriage are frightening

Girls are bought for sex by a member of the same clan before they are married off. The more beads she has around her neck, the higher the price. Once girls reach the age of marriage they will marry someone from a different clan. If the girl falls pregnant before that to one of her relatives, she may be forced to undergo an abortion; if she has the child, it is unlikely to be accepted by the community.

Josephine is proud of her tribe but says certain aspects of their culture need to stop. She tells CNN ,”There is hope. And I know when we take more kids to school in future there will be a difference in my community.”

Many girls resucued by the Samburu Girls Foundation are now in school.

You can watch the CNN report below.

1. Lady Cate of Nigeria

October 13, 2015 at 8:31 am

Wow! And I thought I had heard it all. Well done Josephine

2. L

October 13, 2015 at 9:16 am

Wow just look at this beautiful girls. I love watching documentaries like this and I pray that God sees these girls through.

3. Nne

October 13, 2015 at 9:21 am

my stomach turns….. wow…. so let see they celebrate forced sex (I don’t want to call it sexual freedom cos i doubt it is of mutual consent) but if you get pregnant you abort. The more men you have been with the higher your value, interesting but sickening too; incest, perversion, pedophilia and more.. God bless Josephine. The funny thing is that some of the girls would deem it normal and some people would have said ‘it is their culture’

4. abbey

October 13, 2015 at 9:21 am

barbaric!

5. pretty youing african

October 13, 2015 at 9:22 am

Imagine the harrowing experience these kids have to go through. Well done to Josephine and all others like her out there

6. aurora

October 13, 2015 at 9:47 am

And yet people say feminists are making noise. THIS above is what feminists are wailing about. Stop maltreating the girl child, let her go to school, let her live fully just like her brother. Its not about cooking for your husband or washing his clothes. Keep your marriages and maintain your homes how you like. Just lend a voice, support for the disadvantaged girl, woman who is being made to to inhumane stuff simply because she has a vagina.

• Nahum

October 13, 2015 at 12:46 pm

God bless you for this comment. All these people that attack feminists should be very ashamed. Is this the great African culture that we are trying to protect? Our culture is just too barbaric. I am sorry

• whocares

October 13, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Now if you have the means.. kindly go to google, search the website and donate. I cannot even imagine what their lives must have been, and is like still.. Sometimes, people like to close their eyes and live in their own coccon; that’s is ok, just as long as you do not condemn or stand in the way of change that affects lives positively.

• Nahum

October 13, 2015 at 5:37 pm

@whocares, shey you have donated abi? You should answer your call first of all before telling others to donate.

• whocares

October 13, 2015 at 6:33 pm

that wasn’t a personal assault against you.. calm the feck down. I was agreeing with your statement about feminism hence the response under your comment and making a general comment as to donation hence the “if you have the means”.. *Sigh* . Yes I have. I hope they are real and the money does not go to a large co-operation but oh well.

7. Fabulous B

October 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

@Lady Cate of Nigeria, abi o! Wonders of our great continent.
    GOD bless Josephine and the girls. I’m really touched. Beading (practice of promising girls to there male relatives for sex), what a barbaric practice. Just when you thought you’ve heard it all. Crazy!!!
    Female seen as object of satisfaction need to be ratified. Africa got a long way to go. It starts with you and I. Let’s make this world a better place for us and children unborn.

8. kim kim

October 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Nahum, I am with you. African culture is disgusting and barbaric. The men and women involved in these acts are repulsive. Haba. I am so ashamed of being a nigerian.

9. kim kim

October 13, 2015 at 2:31 pm

*African

10. ATL's finest

October 13, 2015 at 2:53 pm

What a stupid Culture!!!! 9 vs 79.. Like seriously??? Great JOB rescue team & Job well DONE! Dear God U created females with every beauty in them and every part of their body is important. I just pray & wish they will leave the “Clits” ALONE.. OMG we are in 2015 some African Countries just don’t get it smh..
    P.S. I know @Natu is so quick to judge &comment about Nigeria so bad hmmmm I’m waiting to read what U have to say about your Country & this act.

• Natu

October 13, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Shut up and leave me alone. -!!!!

• ATL's finest

October 13, 2015 at 9:49 pm

@ Natu! Shut up? That’s all U’ve got to say? First, I’m not holding your lousy self & second, what aren’t U commenting on the article? #BYELOSER#

• Diuto

October 13, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Grow up child

• Precious

October 14, 2015 at 7:52 am

That’s all you have to say? Surprising for someone who always has a 1001 words for Nigeria

• ATL's finest

October 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm

@ Precious thank U jare..God bless U

11. Prince

October 13, 2015 at 4:57 pm

This is so annoying. 9year old to 78. some people are Satan itself

12. Akaahan Terungwa

October 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm

At 78, a sane man should be thinking of making peace both his his fellow man and God…why would such an old fool be allowed to go around scot free?

Well done Josephine! If Africa had just about 50 of you, this nonsense would have been over since!

Always,
    Akaahan Terungwa

13. zik

October 18, 2015 at 2:31 pm

thanks to those that rescued her thats all

14. vector