News

Barack Obama is the First Sitting President to be photographed for an LGBT Publication | Covers OUT100 Magazine

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

ocoverlo

Barack Obama is the first sitting President to cover an LGBT publication and OUT100 is really proud to have the 44th President of the United States on the cover of their magazine.

Out100 wrote

“The 44th President of the United States is our Ally of the Year—a president who came to office on a wave of euphoria, appeared to lose momentum halfway through, and has since rallied, helping us secure marriage equality, among other landmark initiatives that are transforming our place in America. This is the first time a sitting president has been photographed for the cover of an LGBT title, a historic moment in itself, and a statement on how much his administration has done to advance a singularly volatile issue that tarnished the reputations of both President Clinton and President Bush. It might have tarnished this president, too, but for his late-hour conversion in 2012, which set the stage for the extraordinary succession of events that led to this year’s Supreme Court ruling, on June 26, making it unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples the right to wed. Many things led up to that decision—“decades of our brothers and sisters fighting for recognition and equality” as the president notes—but once his administration decided to join that fight it created what people like to call a “transformative” moment. It helped tip the balance, and it put our elected leader on the right side of justice.”

obama-750 obama-750_1

Read excerpts from the interview below.

On the first person he met that was gay: I’m not sure who the first openly gay person I met was, but Dr. Lawrence Goldyn, one of my college professors, is a man who stands out to me. I took his class freshman year at Occidental. I was probably 18 years old — Lawrence was one of the younger professors — and we became good friends. He went out of his way to advise lesbian, gay, and transgender students at Occidental, and keep in mind, this was 1978. That took a lot of courage, a lot of confidence in who you are and what you stand for. I got to recognize Lawrence last year at our Pride Month reception at the White House, and thank him for influencing the way I think about so many of these issues.

On how his daughters react to homophobia: To Malia and Sasha and their friends, discrimination in any form against anyone doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t dawn on them that friends who are gay or friends’ parents who are same-sex couples should be treated differently than anyone else. That’s powerful. My sense is that a lot of parents across the country aren’t going to want to sit around the dinner table and try to justify to their kids why a gay teacher or a transgender best friend isn’t quite as equal as someone else. That’s also why it’s so important to end harmful practices like conversion therapy for young people and allow them to be who they are. The next generation is spurring change not just for future generations, but for my generation, too. As president, and as a dad, that makes me proud. It makes me hopeful.

On deciding to make LGBT equality a part of his administration: This really goes back to when I was a kid, because my mom instilled in me the strong belief that every person is of equal worth. At the same time, growing up as a black guy with a funny name, I was often reminded of exactly what it felt like to be on the outside. One of the reasons I got involved in politics was to help deliver on our promise that we’re all created equal, and that no one should be excluded from the American dream just because of who they are. That’s why, in the Senate, I supported repealing DOMA [the Defense of Marriage Act]. It’s why, when I ran for president the first time, I publicly asked for the support of the LGBT community, and promised that we could bring about real change for LGBT Americans.

Read more here.

Photo Credit: OUT100

1. Marc Francis of Chelsea

November 10, 2015 at 5:16 pm

The key word is equality. You’re not better than anyone for liking the opposite sex. Bless him.

• me

November 11, 2015 at 12:31 am

I just LOOOOOVVVVEE your comment. Truth be told God loves us all equally. Some might want to fight me because of my last statement. I am heterosexual too.

2. FranklySpeaking

November 10, 2015 at 5:22 pm

What’s my three pence in Obama’s HOMOfilial

3. Mimi May

November 10, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Have been wondering while the devil is always associated with black while God is associated with white, now I know.

• Bukky

November 10, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Olodo. In your mind you made small sense, se?

• Anon

November 10, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, the KKK, the Bushes are all black right?

• Nasa

November 10, 2015 at 9:12 pm

You are on your own with that thought. I am totally associated with the Lord Jesus Christ.

4. Cindy

November 10, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Shey it’s an achievement….. Let him clap for himself na…………. now unto more pressing news — who else is as pained as me that Glenn in walking dead has been killed off? He was my favorite character along with Daryl #justiceforglenn???

• Indiana Jones

November 10, 2015 at 8:33 pm

@ Cindy! I could kiss you. Just saw episode 5 of TWG. I don’t think Glenn’s been killed off, I watched that scene a number of times, when he fell of the dumpster Nicholas fell on top of him and I strongly suspect that the viscera and intestines the zombies were chowing down on belonged to Nicholas! Glenn is like a cat, he keeps coming back! I don’t want this 6th season to end. I’m at the edge of my seat. #thewalkingdead. I’m also watching Fear the walking dead, it’s uuuuh-maze-balls!!!

• Indiana Jones

November 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Off*

• Cindy

November 10, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, I rewatched the scene. But how is he supposed to come of there alive? He was totally surrounded o. The horror on my baby’s face??

• Ladybird

November 10, 2015 at 9:29 pm

WHATTT??? NO WAY.. I have put off watching twd for sometime.. but now I have a reason not to watch anymore… GLEENNNN (sobbing)

• Indiana Jones

November 11, 2015 at 7:23 am

@ Cindy: Zombies are attracted by noise, if he stops screaming they’ll wander off and he can escape. He will be masked by the blood and smell from Nicholas. The cut on Rick’s hand though, do you think zom blood got in it?!!! It’s worrying me!

@ Ladybird: what? no don’t! the new season has so many strong characters. The writers and producers of the show are amazing! Robert Kirkman is a genius! Anyone attending comic con next summer?

5. Josh

November 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm

What exactly do you know? That’s a very stupid comment., and coming from an African?, even more stupid.

6. ATL's finest

November 10, 2015 at 7:04 pm

100.0% shades of Black!!!! He’s JUST too handsome.. Way to go Mr. President.

7. bucho

November 10, 2015 at 7:18 pm

lol…..barack hussien obama. mk i no talk shaa.

8. Lord have mercy!

November 10, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Humanity is on the verge of destroying itself~

9. Author Unknown

November 10, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Who will be the first Nigerian president to have some sense and step up for equality?

• We don't play that.

November 10, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Ha Ha, in your dreams….THANK GOD.

10. Who's greater, GOD or man?

November 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Presidents come, presidents go, “Heaven and earth shall pass away but My Word shall not pass away.” Matthew 24:35

“And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.” Matthew 24:4

• Becca

November 11, 2015 at 12:11 am

MAN because we created God and all the other gods.

11. Ese

November 10, 2015 at 9:30 pm

We didn’t say they are not equal. All human beings are equal. We are saying it is not normal. If it was normal,you wouldn’t have had to pass the law legalising Gay marriage and there wouldn’t be a debate about it.

• Becca

November 11, 2015 at 12:20 am

@ Ese – We had debates and passed laws to end slavery, give women the vote etc, these were considere normal at the time and even backed with scripture by the opposition at the same time. In addition we have laws criminalise all manners of evil.
      You need to think more.

12. Tosin

November 10, 2015 at 10:04 pm

mosdef, Barry.

13. Christopher

November 10, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I love the interview, he’s a great man he’s the best U.S president LGBT people deserve equal rights.

14. Benito

November 10, 2015 at 10:49 pm

The worst president America ever had

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

• ATL's finest

November 14, 2015 at 4:56 am

@ Benito u must be a white Republican hateful soul. Well since Obama was a big mistake, say hello to Donald Trump then. Mtchewwww

15. me

November 10, 2015 at 10:56 pm

All for the votes… Politics is crazy

16. Chris

November 10, 2015 at 11:10 pm

@Benito you are crazy haters like u are creepy u need a reality check.

17. Sadia

November 11, 2015 at 6:25 am

I’m not saying Obama doesn’t probably support lgbt but we need to realise that he’s a DEMOCRATIC president. It is what the people want he must do,not what he wants or prefers,you might be surprised deep down he doesn’t support such,but his office requires him to support and make every American feel accepted in their country.whether the idea is crazy or not So dont insult him bcos he’s doing what our dearest uncles at the top will not do,he’s putting the interest of his people first.

• Mike

November 11, 2015 at 9:55 am

But the Bush and Clinton administration also democratic did append their signature to such inhuman characteristic. Leviticus 18: 22… don’t forget

• missE

November 11, 2015 at 11:15 am

Bush is a republican not a democrat.

18. I no send

November 11, 2015 at 7:44 am

I screamed all through that scene with Glen.they better not touch daryl or carol or I will join the riot that is gonna break out

• Cindy

November 11, 2015 at 11:08 am

I want Glenn, Daryl, Carl and Judith safe. At this point, I could care less what happens to Rick. He is so annoying now, I only want him alive cos of Carl and Judith. Carol is a psycho lol. What a 360 degree change from season 1. She and Daryl are the most developed characters to me.

19. Sadia

November 11, 2015 at 11:16 am

@Mike I am not supporting Lgbt.I leave them for God.My point is Obama did what his people requested for and is obviously more appreciated by Americans than Bush or Clinton.

20. Indiana Jones

November 11, 2015 at 12:08 pm

@ Cindy: Carol is crazy, I agree. The society (I use that word loosely) she lives in has made her hard, remember season 1 when her husband used to beat her and she could not kill a mouse? Her character has evolved I agree! As for Rick, he is a leader with an extra serving of balls. He makes decisions for the “greater good of ‘his’ people” can you blame him? Have you noticed how people who disagree with him tend to get eaten by zoms? #shivers

I hear there might be some sort of physical relationship developing between Daryl and Carol. If I hear! What business do they have falling in love? They should keep fighting the zoms jare

@ I no send: I didn’t blink when I saw that scene. It was as if I should enter the show and kill Nicholas over and over with my bare hands. I never thought I’d be attracted to Daryl o, his “rough around the edges” persona is beginning to appeal!