Scoop

Ex James Bond Pierce Brosnan disappointed by Spectre: “The Story was Kind of Weak”

BellaNaija.com

BEVERLY HILLS, CA - OCTOBER 10: Actor Pierce Brosnan attends the USC Norris Cancer Center Gala at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel on October 10, 2015 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Matthew Simmons/Getty Images)

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – OCTOBER 10: Actor Pierce Brosnan attends the USC Norris Cancer Center Gala at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel on October 10, 2015 in Beverly Hills, California. (Photo by Matthew Simmons/Getty Images)

Pierce Brosnan is known for his suave portrayal of James Bond, as the previous lead actor for the movie series from 1995 to 2002.

He acted alongside famous lead love interests like the first black ‘Bond girl’ Halle Berry and Desperate Housewives’ Teri Hatcher.

“I was looking forward to it enormously,”

“I thought it was too long. The story was kind of weak — it could have been condensed. It kind of went on too long. It really did.”

He also compared it to a Jason Bourne movie.

“[‘Spectre’] is neither fish nor fowl. It’s neither Bond nor Bourne. Am I in a Bond movie? Not in a Bond movie?”

Despite his thoughts on this movie in the series, he praised current Bond actor Daniel Craig, calling him a “mighty warrior” in the movie. “Daniel, in the fourth go-round, has ownership of it. He had a nice looseness to him.”

“I think he found a great sense of himself in this one with the one-liners and a nice playfulness there. Just get a tighter story, and he’ll have another classic.”

***

BellaNaijarians have you had the chance to watch the movie yet? Reactions here range from “neither here nor there” to “we fell asleep”.

Putting your movie critic cap on, what was your take?

Source: HitFix | Photo Credit: Matthew Simmons/ Getty Images

1. Truth

November 18, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Was just meeeh!!, they kept referencing old bond movies next thing I heard I love you I just rolled my eyes how can you love someone you just met a day ago? now Daniel Craig on the other hand, moment of silence for how good he looked in this movie every other thing was so fake and unrealistic. Pierce brosnan my favorite bond

• Someone cute

November 18, 2015 at 7:20 pm

You’re right jare. I felt the same way too.

• Ross

November 18, 2015 at 10:20 pm

You got it oh. That I love you just totally threw me. Like from where to where???? And Brosnan is so right, the movie was way too long. I had to watch it in two sittings, and I still can’t tell you what it was really about!

2. Xplorenollywood.com

November 18, 2015 at 5:53 pm

I thought it was a runway movie! All Daniel did was pose in his suit and those glasses! I want one of those sha! The story was long, there was one main action scene, his randiness didn’t change sha and yeah, the one-liners were great, but it was just there for me. When i saw the first Craig bone, he had this icyness that if he looks at you, he will surely kill you, but after that movie, Daniel, was given a back story, not sure why! He had a woman he loved, he truly cared for M and then he had a brother and a father figure! Whats up with that??? I am fine with him being an agent that we know next to nothing about jor! Anyway, i am glad this is his last feature, bring us another asap!

• J.D

November 19, 2015 at 11:52 am

This is not Daniel Craig’s last feature. It is the Director’s Sam Mendes’ last; and after his previous Bond movies, people were complaining about how Bond doesn’t have a human angle to him, hence the story going back to his relationship with M and Oberhauser. It wasn’t a great movie but neither was it terrible, it was like luke warm, like a 6/10 in my books. the story could have had much more depth but it didn’t and that’s where they failed. I loved the cars though and the action sequence in the beginning; and yeah, his Tom Ford suits were to die for.

3. Adele lover

November 18, 2015 at 6:46 pm

P BROSNAN is my favourite bong next to Sean Conor(his voice.omg)..God knows how ave tried to like Craig as Bond, only God knows!! Something about him looks forced,stiff, his swag and finesse is not up to par,nice eyes tho!! #bringpiercebrosnanback

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 18, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Sean Connery…. *swoon*

I happened upon the elderly thespian 6 years ago, by chance on the street of Edinburg and you better believe my shameless self stalked him for half a block until he politely insisted that he couldn’t take a photo because he was late for his grandson’s graduation. FYI, he still looks like a boss at any age.

And I agree with Pierce, because that “Sceptre” was just a scam, ehnnnn… ??

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 19, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Ah Mz. S. A. I would have loved to stalk you stalk him. I would have been the wakapass in the background in the photo.

Team Sean All the Way… He and Moneypenny the First had an amazing chemistry! First time I saw him with hair on his head.

Timothy Daltons’ first and only appearance was not bad actually. Then Pierce, Lordy, brother be looking so suave with them chiseled bone structure. His first wife (I think) was in Goldfinger(?) and felt he would make an amazing Bond. She died shortly after they started filming.

Every other Bond should thank you for coming.

4. Debbie

November 18, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Thank you o, my favourite Bond.

To think the cinema was still full more than a week after.

I was practically telling my colleagues each scene. They had to ask if I had seen it before. I ku hadn’t seen it prior to that day.

Long, boring and… the list goes on.

On to the next Bond biko!!!!

5. mabel

November 18, 2015 at 9:00 pm

My Bond man anytime any day. Still so cute.

6. Ememobong

November 19, 2015 at 6:58 am

It is actually becoming laborious watching a Bond movie. These days Bond seems to drifting from action packed to romance/thriller. Spectre was boring. Maybe it’s finally time to pack it up. I still praise Daniel Craig’s first outing in Casino Royale in 2006, it was breathtaking.

7. Chyoma

November 19, 2015 at 7:54 am

Its +2hours of my life (and 15GBP) i can’t get back. Was in the UK when it opened. Watched it in a Packed Cinema in Camden! quite a few of us slept off halfway through the movie. at the end i could hear some other people asking their friends “what happened, i missed a bit of it, just woke up”!! In a Bond Movie??!!! How? Why? in my opinion, its been downhill since Craig took up the mantle of Bond. Dunno if its him, or the writers are trying too hard to compete with the Bourne series and some the resulting script is a muddled ball of wool; trying to appeal to everyone. I’ve told everyone who wants to watch it not to bother, it;ll be in dvd soon I’m sure or on BoxOffice by DStv…you can fast forward to your hearts content then. at the end of this..you’d be wondering “errr..what’s happening? Bond is in love? driving into the sunset, quitting?? What??

• whocares

November 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm

LMAOOOO. Thank you for saving me the time. The trailer looked soooooooo good and I was determined to see it and mocking jay on the same day (na to carry mattress to the cinema be that o) lol

8. T

November 19, 2015 at 11:04 am

I totally agree with Brosnan, it was too long, quite boring and the story just didnt do it for me. I prefer MI 5 by farrrrrrrrrr

9. ja

November 19, 2015 at 11:09 am

Oh well, dear Idris may save the next bond movie.

10. dy