Features

Charles Novia: Don Jazzy, Olamide & the Hyundai Skelemba – Taking It to the Bank

BellaNaija.com

Don Jazzy OlamideThis article was originally published on CharlesNoviaDaily.com; visit the site to read more content.

The Headies 2015 (which ironically held on the first day of 2016) was an anti-climax after that.

And perhaps the public tantrums of both Don Jazzy and Olamide were the highlights of what was before then an above average telecast with glaring lapses which could have been remedied with more precision.

When the artistes nominated in the ‘Next Rated..’ category were shown in a mini-documentary somewhere in the show, taking photo-ops in the Hyundai SUV and pleading for votes from their fans so as to win the prize, I told myself after seeing the earnest expectations on their faces that this category would surely be competitive but would have some bad blood drawn thereafter. The visuals of the four nominated acts seated side-by-side in the hall thereafter, being interviewed by the Hip TV Presenter just before the category was announced also showed an unease amongst them even if they were trying to put up aloof facades.

Korede Bello, Kiss Daniel, Lil Kesh and Reekado Banks. Four nominees in perhaps the ‘closest-to-call’ category in The Headies ever. Looking at the list, they each had hits in 2015. But in my personal opinion ( which I’m entitled to, innit?) I would have pruned the list at the final stage to just two; Korede Bello and Kiss Daniel.

‘Godwin’ was probably the biggest song of 2015, transcending both the secular and gospel charts and finding resonance all across Africa. How could such a song not get the artiste a winner in that category? On the other hand, ‘Woju’ by Kiss Daniel was another monster hit in 2015 which certainly would have won him that prize without raising eyebrows.

With due respect to Reekado Banks, I don’t think his ‘ Katapot’ track was that much of a phenomenal hit in 2015 but it was a good track. And L’il Kesh too, who was touted by Olamide as having back to back hits in 2015 (by his reckoning) stood a chance as well but I would say a misfit of personal branding by the YBNL team for Kesh might have added to his loss in that category. Club and dance hits are different from acclaimed general hits when it comes to the brass tacks and ‘Gbese Re’ was huge on the club and dance circuits but can’t be termed a huge hit compared to Korede’s and Kiss’

Thus, when Reekado won, I was one of the surprised folks watching on television. Obviously this didn’t go down well with Olamide, on whose label Kesh is signed on to and he went on a profane and perhaps alcohol-induced rant onstage a few minutes later, calling out the organisers and storming off the stage thereafter.

Don Jazzy, the acclaimed Producer, who is the Head Huncho at Mavin Records which has Reekado as one of its acts, picked up the gauntlet a few minutes after while receiving his Lifetime Achievement Award and called out Olamide. He asked Olamide to come take the car won by Reekado and stormed out of the awards with his crew.

Olamide later went on twitter to rant more expletives on Don Jazzy.

Both artistes were wrong on many fronts. For Olamide, his open inebriation on stage calls for much questioning of his public conduct when he’s not in performance mode. As he boasts in his songs, he might have packed halls and swayed trends in the past year but trying a Kanye West onstage at The Headies was ill-advised. One should ask this question ( which I will also throw at Don Jazzy later as well) that if L’il Kesh had back to back hits as Olamide claimed, why didn’t YBNL deem it fit to buy him a car ( if he hasn’t any) all these months?

And Don Jazzy too should have stuffed it when he said that he had told Korede and Reekado not to bother themselves about the car if they didn’t win because he would buy them a car. Really? Did he mean to tell us that with all the shows and endorsements both acts had last year under his management, there wasn’t any ‘change’ left to buy his acts cars?

If that’s the case, something is wrong somewhere.

Don Jazzy screwed up though by calling out Olamide in his speech especially as Olamide never mentioned his name. But to a discerning mind, it seems those two had festering issues before last night and that incident was the last straw.

Mutual discontent and petty misgivings are common in the entertainment industry. I am never fooled by put-on smiles and show of camaderie most times by artistes as they are human like everyone else. What sets off animousities are usually a struggle for a space on top; a definition of ambitious egos or just plain loathing for petty reasons.

The struggle and not the hustle is what is real. Territorial dominance and egotistical relevance.

The major beneficiary from all this, in spite of the furore over the winner, is Hyundai. The brand now has more exposure than it bargained for and everyone would remember the brand for months to come. No publicity is bad at all in this regard for them.

To think that Don Jazzy and Olamide did a collabo a couple of years back and an anaemic one too, in my opinion. A song which didn’t make sense and was soon forgotten as soon as it came out.

With the storm over this award and the degenerative posibilities it portends, one can only suggest to Hyundai to come out with a new model inspired by this.

And calling that model ‘Hyundai Skelemba’ won’t be a bad idea.

The sales might just be something the company can ‘bank’ on.

1. BB

January 2, 2016 at 6:41 pm

hehehe

2. Carphy

January 2, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Mumu talk

• James Morgan

January 2, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Shut your mouth woman, shut it….. If you can’t put up a constructive and reasonable comment, then do something better with your time.

3. dubai mum

January 2, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Dry story!

4. Christian Sister

January 2, 2016 at 7:03 pm

There’s nothing I disagree with here. Thanks Charles Novia

5. Long-Hiss

January 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Who dis one self? Y did he not come out since with his epistle? Agbaya dat love wahala pls keep ur story telling to urself n let the matter die down already.

6. Long-Hiss

January 2, 2016 at 7:14 pm

*is

7. Lol

January 2, 2016 at 7:19 pm

This article is a waste of airtime

• ATL's finest

January 2, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Hahha lmao! *faint*

8. tolu

January 2, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Mr charles, im sure they all av cars en if they dont it means dia labels bosses av fleet of cars for them to use. That aside, its not even abt d car price. Reekardo didnt deserveto be a winner. But when it comes to voting dats wot happens en we all know don jazzy is good on social media. He knows ao to bribe people to be on his sides. By giving them money en recharge cards. That made rekardo as winner. Kiss daniel shld av won. Maybe headies shld start using judges

• Emy

January 3, 2016 at 12:44 am

I really dont think don jazzy bribed anybody to win. If he did, korede bello would have been the next rated artist and not reekado banks.

9. mrs chidukane

January 2, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Lol @ this article. I quite agree. A Hyundai Skelemba is needed.

10. The real Ibinabo

January 2, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Charles Novia please stick to analysing Nollywood, you have no clue about music. It is not every matter you see you must ‘shook’ head!!

11. Tosin

January 2, 2016 at 8:20 pm

respect music. that’s all. all this bank and brand rubbish – back to sender.

12. molarah

January 2, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Finally, a Charles Novia ‘weigh in’ that makes sense. Helps folks that didn’t follow the matter from the beginning to understand what happened, without resort to aggressive or derogatory language. Hope Etcetera is taking notes.

13. mamamora

January 2, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Egbon Charles ,e ku oro enu sir

• Lol

January 2, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Lmfao

• Californiabawlar

January 3, 2016 at 7:43 am

??? you gotta love Yoruba sarcasm…. Oro enu gbaaa!

14. n

January 2, 2016 at 8:58 pm

this Nova guy should go and sleep… nah only him go write long speech on top another person matter….lol

15. ify

January 2, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Abeg bellanaija #LeaveTrashForLAWMA

16. michael banks zaddylion

January 2, 2016 at 10:08 pm

dude…whu told u dhat lil kesh doesn’t ave a car…mumu mumu talk 4 person whey no get work…don jazzy startd d beef by callin olamide’s name la…bruhda go slip o…street ti take ova

17. jasmine

January 2, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Hahahaha, Charles Nova is mad

18. Kwincyj12

January 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm

100% correct Mr Charles I totally agreed with yh….ds award s either for kiss Daniel or korede bello!!! Kiss Daniel dt doesn’t v any1 to fight for him… God will give yh a bigger n better award #peace

19. dan

January 2, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Nonsense article. Mr Charles pls #leavetrashforlawma

20. Dolly

January 2, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Both was wrong honestly, I’m just starting to f- with Olamide and this act of egotistical insolence is turning me off a little. I like men with rough edges & street cred but being totally gully in public is not a good look.

That said, call me whatever but hater, I just dont like Don Jazzy, and its got nothing to do with the high route he took with Dbanj. In this situation I just feel he’s not as wrong as Olamide because as the head huncho of Mavins he aint gon let you belittle the winning of one of his crew and not come for you. Its called loyalty just like Olamide was in his feelings bout his boy not winning. In this situation I agree with Mr. Novia both was wrong and as grown ups both should tender apology to each other, move the f- on and give us good music!

• Dolly

January 2, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Oh may I add, none of these forerunner phase me coz like Charles said I thought Korede Bello got the spot 100%, he has that all around Godwin song and recently that epic love song with Tiwa Savage and y’all talking bout the cause of this feud like lil’ kish who?? Reekado dyke what??
      FOH that jerry curled sweet pie got robbed.

• Ashley

January 3, 2016 at 1:59 am

Reekado dyke. Kikikikiki

21. Teezy Lake

January 2, 2016 at 11:14 pm

#LeaveTrashForLawma

22. kike Jay

January 2, 2016 at 11:24 pm

This man out of tune with the times. Lil kesh’s Shoki is being adapted by Missy Elliot overseas, which means the boy’s song goes far, we can’t say because it’s a club song, it’s. Limited.

23. Dapo

January 2, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I live in Canada, I go to Nigerian clubs, where all nationalities and race attend. Kiss Daniel Songs na hit outside Nigeria. Korede_Godwin na fire, even on new year eve for church, someone was dancing his style. Lil Kesh songs sometimes are played and his shoki dance is danced by everyone, that dance buried Azonto.. Reekado, I cant recall his personal song, only in dorobucci.. Headies ko, Yanshies nii…

• Gold

January 3, 2016 at 4:19 am

And I live in the US, and I usually play hit songs from my home country for my school mates and they consider most of them as noise, however I did blind them at a function we had yesterday and played shoki and katapolt and asked them to vote which they liked musically and they overwhelmingly voted Katapot! I did that when I heard of the headies brouhaha! So use your tongue to count your teeth oh!

• Psalm

January 3, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I watched Rekaado bank’s interview some days before the award night where he said he believed Lil Kesh would win the award.
      When he was announced as the winner, he hugged Kesh for, in my estimation, more than ten seconds. Thereafter, he climbed to the stage and said (paraphrased)- Lil Kesh, you’re a bad boy. You want to kill me. You com dey make me feel like say I no sabi sing again. I know say some people go dey vex now. It’s okay. Ranting is allowed.
      Of course, he was smiling (and panting?) when he said all those. Kesh had to join him at the stage. RK gave him another hug, identical to the last one. RK mentioned the other nominees but he addressed Kesh specifically. He sounded like he was about to go home with Kesh’s property.
      Some people might think RK deserved the award but they are in the minority. And it’s possible RK himself is not among them.

24. Femi

January 3, 2016 at 8:32 am

The award was for Next Rated Artiste yet this article was mostly about who had the best song in 2015 (by the way Woju and Shoki were both released in 2014). I don’t know about Charles but I’d pick the artiste with 3 of the year’s top 10 club bangers (efejoku, Is it because I love you, Gbese Re) over the other 2 who each had 1 cross-over hit.

And just to show you how shite the Headies are, is there anyone who would really rather pay to watch Reekado over Lil Kesh, Kiss Daniel or even AdekunleGold? No one I can think of.

25. Timothy

January 3, 2016 at 10:32 am

Sometimes i wonder if its poverty mentality of illiteracy. Someone wins at The Headies and another person wants to kill himself over it. Its done by voting, abi that is what i read, so if your fans do no vote, whose fault is that?

I will compere it to The People’s Choice Awards which even Kim K has won numerous times. Who cares about that, nothing prestigouns about it…, and the same applies to that AMVCA that naija actors and actresses are always treating like the OSCARs when its a freaking award voted on by pple who have time to vote, spme of whom dont care about quality!

26. December Wind

January 3, 2016 at 1:21 pm

My country people ,e go lake make sense if we can all channel these great ideas of ours towards the development and economic growth of our beloved country .

27. Pipi

January 3, 2016 at 1:30 pm

My own in this matter is what gave don jazzy the right to want to dash out another person’s car ni?

• Ivan

January 3, 2016 at 4:03 pm

You no serious o, Lol.

28. Kayode Afenifere

January 3, 2016 at 2:28 pm

To my fellow Nigerians….we should put our-self into olamide shoes, we all know who the award belongs to and mind you, Olamide never mentioned any name so why is don jazzy coming to the stage to mention is name? that shows inmaturity to my own understanding and for the fact that lil kesh as single tracks than Reekardo…..lets be sincere to each other and tell our-self the truth, this is not a family business

• enny okosun

January 6, 2016 at 4:42 am

yes, you are right bro! my concern is over olamide’s public attitude on stage…really not good public wise. we are nigerians not americans! no matter what happen to a man, leave the fight for God.

29. Kayode Afenifere

January 3, 2016 at 2:30 pm

To my fellow Nigerians….we should put our-self in olamide shoes, we all know who the award belongs to and mind you, Olamide never mentioned any name so why is don jazzy coming to the stage to mention is name? that shows inmaturity to my own understanding and for the fact that lil kesh as single tracks than Reekardo…..lets be sincere to each other and tell our-self the truth, this is not a family business

• George

January 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Sorry but dats not and will never be an excuse , I can count numerous actors , musicians etc as well as other pppl in other parts of entertainment who have lost at awards home and abroad without pulling this behaviour . Olamide messed up big time and I will say would be very lucky if he doesn’t get droped by brands like ETISALAT . there are always major surprises at OSCARS, GRAMMYS, etc and all awards around d world, don’t get me wrong there are favourites for every category but there is no person entitled to any AWARD .

30. Ivan

January 3, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Don Jazzy for just leave the pikin wit him – body. I just dropped Olamide after those f*s on stage and live TV. No matter what people do to you, your reaction is most important. Look at Miss Colombia, that lady got more endorsement afterwards as appreciation for her matured reaction. Don Jazzy hope it’s not true that u bought the votes? Olamide you don’t own Lagos mainland and we the citizens of mainland don’t like being owned by anybody so u gats apologize for that part of ur prah prah yahn. Respect to Novia, the Skelemba promo was spot on.

• enny okosun

January 6, 2016 at 4:45 am

nice one bro! i no even like him before….humility should be the key word of every act.