Scoop

From Usher to Star Host…Juliet Ibrahim shares a Powerful Testimony | Read & Be Inspired

BellaNaija.com

Juliet Ibrahim CAF Awards Usher
Sometimes, the simplest testimonies are the most powerful.
In 2007, Ghollywood actress Juliet Ibrahim was an usher at the Glo CAF Awards.

Fast forward to this year, she will be the HOST of the show taking place this week in Abuja.
For the non-football fans, the Glo CAF Awards is the leading awards event for football in Africa.

In her own words,

From being an usher at Glo Caf awards 2007 to being a guest at Glo caf 2012 and 2014 and now to hosting the Glo Caf awards 2015! If Jesus say Yes nobody can say No. When I told my sis that I will be hosting this year’s Glo Caf awards @ssoniaibrahim asked me; this life is funny do u remember back in the day when u were just an usher for Glo Caf? lol God is an awesome God. Never give up on ur dreams, keep pushing and stay determined. Catch me live on January 7th. @katung_aduwak u remember the first time I met u? joyjoy #nobodyweynofittomakeEm one day I shall tell my story

So awesome! Wishing you this level of elevation in 2016.

1. December Wind

January 4, 2016 at 8:50 am

Congrats to her . To think that sometimes, when you see these ushers at events , you’d be wondering why such an educated beauty would choose to settle for such jobs , Who would believe that they can someday end up as hosts to same events … never stop dreaming guys , you just might be the next big thing in your current hustle

2. zarah baby loke loke

January 4, 2016 at 10:25 am

Awwww

3. Chu

January 4, 2016 at 10:53 am

This gal has nationalised walai. @ #nobodywhennofitmakeEm

• Homa

January 4, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Pidgin is also spoken in Ghana and Cameroun, although theirs is slightly different…. so she didn’t learn it from Nigeria.

4. baby oku

January 4, 2016 at 11:58 am

yes oh, never look down on anybody cos no one knows tomorrow

5. KWAKWACITY

January 4, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Please let’s not pretend that being half caste in Nigeria………………I’ll reserve my remaining comment!

• Nigerian Prince

January 4, 2016 at 7:43 pm

It’s called being biracial, not ‘half caste’, but I agree we definitely have biracial privilege in Nigeria.

6. Bee

January 4, 2016 at 1:34 pm

“Settle for such jobs” ushering is not a career, it is a quick, easy and fun job college students do for extra money to buy books and clothes. It is a much better alternative to runs. When I was in Uni from 1998-2002, I did ushering. Then, the going rate was N15k per night before agent fees (N10,500 after) sometimes you could do 3 shows per weekend (N30k) or if you are super lucky and you get to usher for a multinational company (MTN etc) you get paid 30-40k/event. I was able to buy handouts, clothes etc and also put some in savings (in a month I was earning more than most graduates).

Towards the end of my ushering ‘career’ runs girls invaded it o, ushering jobs became super competitive girls were willing to sleep with clients to get the job over others and also as a platform to meet sugar daddies. Ushering was fun I met many girls some of whom are still my friends. I also saw and met many CEOs, diplomats etc. I got my first job post Uni while I was ushering for an energy convention ( CEOs of major oil companies attended).

• Different Shades of Nigerian

January 4, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Yup. I remember ushering too 10k per day, it was the easiest money I ever made and I have a professional career now. If not for stress, i wont mind continuing sef, you meet a lot of good people but it also opens doors for sexual harassment which is “normal” in naija. Even gateman will see you dressed finish and be calling you. Lol

7. Nk

January 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm

How do one get connect to be an usher in such events?

• Bee

January 4, 2016 at 2:38 pm

NK, you usually get jobs through agents. You can get the contact of an agent by going to major photo studios were models take pictures for their portfolios ( back in the day, there were a lot in Surulere and Ikeja). Most of the photographers work with agents that bring their clients (models) to the studio. Some agents drop their business cards in the studio to get new models. Photo studios are where agents and models network. Alternatively, when you are at an event you can ask an usher who her/his agent is?

However, this was how we got agents in the late 90s to early 2000s. Also, please be careful and vigilant. Some unscrupulous people might want to take advantage of you. If you are successful it is a fun way to make money on the side. Good luck!

• Bee

January 4, 2016 at 2:45 pm

NK, to add to what I already posted, some makeup artists also have connections I got a job in 2001 through Bimpe the MUA (she later opened her own modeling agency) then she was an apprentice under Bayo Haastrup.

8. Nk

January 4, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Thanks @ bee

9. nene

January 4, 2016 at 5:28 pm

should have stuck to ushering cuz she’s a horrible actress.

10. bisisexy

January 4, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Pls how do I get in touch wit bimpe the mua? My cousin wants to do dis usher ing job

• JULIET BENSON

May 25, 2018 at 9:32 am

pls i need ushering job,how do i get one