Scoop

“I vowed to make a name for myself” An Ex-Boyfriend Inspired Toke Makinwa’s Hunger for Success

BellaNaija.com

Toke Makinwa

Toke Makinwa shared part of her success story with fans today.

According to her, her hunger for success started after an ex-boyfriend explained to her that they can’t be together because his family had high expectations of him.

She shared the story in a bid to inspire someone else into aiming for success.

See what she wrote below.

On this journey to success, it is important to inspire and motivate others so that on the days you feel less motivated, you too can find inspiration in another persons success story. Today I remembered something deep. I used to like this one guy and he didn’t like me back like I liked him. He was into me but something was off.

One day after he was breaking up with me yet again I asked him why he didn’t think we would work out? He responded with “we are from different worlds”, he said his family had high expectations of him to bring home someone of a similar background to his and he couldn’t take us further cos basically to him my daddy was a nobody.

I cried to bed that night but even in my tears, I developed a hunger for success. I never wanted to feel that way again so I vowed to make a name for myself. To make something out of my life. I got my shit together and started working hard cos I already know what it feels like to be a “nobody”, I wanted to become more. I work hard to be more, to inspire and to leave my name in the stars. I’m not quite there yet but I’m on a journey and I feel so blessed to love what I do. Radio/Tv/Vlogging and basically monetizing my life.

My career makes me dream and Prayer helps me key into my dreams. With faith I see that God rewards diligence. Today I’m still building, brick by brick, stone after stone, I will get there and you too can

1. nene

February 22, 2016 at 3:36 pm

i think everyone at some point has an event (negative or positive) in their life that makes them chase after success,wealth or fame. for her it was an ex boyfriend and class status. with that being said, she has money but she still doesn’t have the “class” or belong to that class of her ex boyfriend. i think if you love somebody, class shouldn’t be a reason to leave them, but then some people are very superficial. the funny thing is that toke strikes me as someone who would also do what her ex boyfriend did to her if she was from a wealthy family, she doesn’t seem like a simple, humble, easy going person.

• Sheri

February 22, 2016 at 4:08 pm

How comes she doesn’t have the class? This is not an attack. I just really want to know…
      Could you explain a little further?

• nene

February 22, 2016 at 5:20 pm

class in this sense means social class.

• Weezy

February 22, 2016 at 5:45 pm

She is over-exposed. Its like the difference between Warren Buffett and Donald Trump. One has become known for his brilliant mind, financial discipline and philanthropy. That one has class.

I don’t hate Toke o. This is just my answer to the question.

• Jade

February 22, 2016 at 4:50 pm

@nene

True. But Aunty Toke, this ur motivation story abi na inspiration get k leg. Is it Maje or your nursery school bf? Bcos history says you and uncle maje have been togeda for a loooong time eh 14yrs. And When I did my addition and subtraction, it’s equal = to fishy

Anyway, no man can make me feel less or lower. I am who I am, if you can’t accept me and my family abeg vamoose. I believe, women should be their own motivation. Yeah, I understand how coming from a less privileged background can motivate you, other things but if the guy felt like you were not in the same class as him, then his love was very shallow.
      I see women trying to prove to an ex or guys. Also, Women do this to one another too, she can’t be friends with another girl bcos she doesn’t wear designer or she’s from a poor family. Sorry Toke, I see you do it too especially people with poor mentality.

• Cynical

February 22, 2016 at 5:55 pm

@jade,honestly the fishy no be here o. Why do people feel the need to falsify gist to be an “inspiration” or whatever they want to call it these days???? Toke my dear,there’ll be a part of your life that you can truthfully use to inspire people,no need to be phony. And p.s, don’t even say hi to that your supposed bf when you see him on the road……for someone to look you in the eye and tell you that you are beneath him is just……

• Ada

February 22, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Remember they were an off again, on again couple. So maybe someone in between the breaks.

• Timi

February 22, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Inspiring Toke. Let’s be honest, most girls also like guys with class whether they have class or not. Class and family background is somehow attractive so I guess you also wanted a guy with class, though I think the guy was just too blunt. He could have just said he didn’t think it will ever work out but sha if he hadn’t been blunt maybe you wouldn’t have worked this hard.

• Top Notch

February 23, 2016 at 7:43 am

Its pretty obvious Toke has a class complex, all her friends live on Bourdillon and she no longer hangs with the one’s she went to school with. She has been described as being a really sweet girl behind her back and is allowed to mingle with her Ikoyi peeps based on these reviews. She’s not quite rolling in it like the rich wives club of friends she likes to hang out with but we mustn’t knock her ambition. The girl has done good.

2. keke driver

February 22, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Sometimes, until you get to the point where “you cannot take it again” you never start…#OfficiallyMy2Kobo

3. King Bey

February 22, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Tokstarr I respect ur hustling

4. Jayden phoenix

February 22, 2016 at 3:42 pm

OK…..God bless ur hustle.

5. Ama

February 22, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for inspiring us Toke.
    When was this ex-bf though since you are 31 and you’ve dated/married Oga Maje for 14 years or so? I’m just wondering actually

• Oma

February 22, 2016 at 3:56 pm

@Ama, you just had to go there, didn’t you :))

• Kathy D ❤Dr

February 22, 2016 at 3:56 pm

?????????????lmao! Am a hmmm I was actually calculating that maths too as in hmmm ok she’s bn around the block for a while.U go girl & good for u. Ain’t that bitch that wanna knock my sister’s hustle down but damm girl that DAT early age/stage?? *cough*.. Well let’s just say some shit from the Unilag days were accurate & on that note, End of story.

• Zee

February 22, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Ama , your type is who they call monitoring spirit. She owes you lot who constantly criticize and scrutinize her evry move and story NOTHING!

You better get over yourselves. And she is doing just well, building a name for herself.

• MIA

February 22, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I was gonna go there but you got there before me so Toke Pls answer.

• Add the facts

February 22, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Well it’s not rocket science. I would like to think that this ex is her current or (ex?) husband. He probably has been going from “x” to “y” to “x” in her life and she had put herself under pressure to try and meet up and fit into his so called pedigree. This is good and bad because it made her strive to better herself but then again she would have found a better person who wouldn’t have thought he was doing her a favour and mind what his father will think. Someone once commented that she lightened her skin so much because all her husband’s brothers are married to biracial wives. In this kind of situation, she will keep struggling to belong to this family and her efforts might never be quite enough. It’s good to aspire to be better but ones motivation should never be to meet up to any man. Any man worth his salt must accept you how and where you are but then love you enough to support you to be better

• osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:02 pm

So the baby mama has more class than Toke? Why don’t you guys see through her flippn lies

• TokeNaYouSabi

February 22, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Ama the Mathematician 🙂 🙂 🙂
      Calculations no be here ohhh :):::)
      Toke – story story story 🙂

31 (1985 born ) – 14 yrs (started dating Maje in 2002 – fourteen years ago when she was 17yrs 🙂
      So maybe she was dating this rich dude with CLASS 🙂 from age 13-17 – when she use to be dark.

So maybe she is telling the truth 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Latifa

February 23, 2016 at 7:38 am

You BN readers are too damn thirsty…… How sure are you that they dated for 14 years and even if they did, how do you know there weren’t on and off?? Which is very common in long term relationships……appreciate the story and move on

6. Wale

February 22, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Am happy for you Toke for achieving this far and some ‘freezer’ will be farmizing with the rich! Why so much gap between the rich and the poor?

7. anonymous

February 22, 2016 at 4:03 pm

I don’t really like Toke but I totally get where she’s coming from. I’ve had so many jibes like that thrown at me. For example, meeting a guy and he telling me he was too intelligent for us to have deep conversations just because we had differing opinions. From that day, I vowed to use my intelligence to get to the top.

He apologised afterwards but it was just too late. I cut contact with him. Some people are so arrogant that they don’t realise the impact their words and actions creates on others.

8. Nerybanty

February 22, 2016 at 4:07 pm

@ Ama, pl;z help me ask her again. always coming up with cheap lies, gerrara here, osiso.

9. Anonymous

February 22, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Toke i feel you are getting the wrong end of the stick..
    You don’t crave for success just to feel better about yourself… i guess you were not ashamed of your dad(because some boy felt he was not a rich man….not somebody in the society) or were you ashamed of him?
    Your father made you what your were and in one form or the other must have contributed to you being successful. So my dear it was not you.
    IF your father read what you have written about him in this manner, do you honestly think he would be happy?
    Look at the graduate engineer(NYSC boy) who took pictures with his fish seller mother…He received full praise because he did not frown on his background. If any girl does not like him because of his background then that is their loss. I can bet that boy will be great in future but not great for the wrong reasons like you but for the right reasons.
    Stop trying to please men…See where that got you, with a man like your husband who does not respect you at all. Maybe if you were not trying so hard to be relevant, you could have ended up with a man with humble backgrounds who would treat you right and respect you.
    That is how Freeze too was yarning dust yesterday.

• T

February 22, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I think you are the one getting it completely wrong, Toke simply narrated one of the events that led to her wanting to be successful in life, she said ;because to him my dad was a nobody’ so why would her dad be unhappy if he read that? she never said she was ashamed of her dad, she simply narrated what happened between her and the guy, different events make one crave for success in life, it’s just like a man and his son walking to Church one day and on their way, a silly driver splashed muddy water on them, and they had to turn back home because they were drenched, then the little son thought to himself, ‘Lord, make me great, I want to be successful, I want to buy a car for my dad, I don’t want us to trek anymore, that was his own story, everyone has theirs…
      And you just had to link the story to her marital problem???please tell me, is your life perfect? Mrs Advicer, you are not God, so there’s no way you would know if Toke would have had a different kind of marriage if she didn’t marry Maje, you are behind your computer typing all sorts of rubbish, take a minute to review your life now and you will see how imperfect it is, no one has a perfect life, yours might not be marital issue but you know where your own issues are. Deal with it!!!!!

• seyi

February 22, 2016 at 4:30 pm

You just had to copy this your useless comment from Linda ikeja blog and come and paste it here abi.
      See where that got you. Like seriously,.?? Mr adviser,

10. T

February 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm

@Nene, you said ‘she strikes you as someone who would also do what her ex boyfriend did to her if she was from a wealthy family, she doesn’t seem like a simple, humble, easy going person….you obviously haven’t met her, so stop concluding, I’ve met her and I can say she is a sweet, playful, easy going lady…learn to actually know people regardless of whatever you’ve heard or think about them.
    @Ama, you couldn’t just stop at ‘thanks for inspiring us Toke, you had to include your doubt for her age right? stay there and be wondering while keeps moving on with her life and soaring higher and higher.

• Cynical

February 22, 2016 at 6:01 pm

@T,I’m sorry but I doubt if majority of people got any inspiration at all from this piece o,so there’ll definitely be no thanking madam Toke.

11. Noname

February 22, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Maje! Who else?

12. fake people everywhere

February 22, 2016 at 4:41 pm

fake people everywhere

Being a vlogger that BN forces on us now makes you the success you are referring to abi?
    Prior to your Marital problem, no one knew you my friend.

31(years of age)
    – (minus)
    14 (years of dating maje)
    = (equals)
    17( years then)

So you dated that ex at 17 and made this decision at 17years of age

Keep deceiving yourself and trying to be in the news.

You people can’t even borrow yourself brain that no one cares about you/what you do/where you at/or whatever.

BN and social media is for gossip, catching up with the jones and killing time.

No one cares. Cos we read BN at leisure is what makes us open and drop comments, we dont care at all

• Tomi

February 22, 2016 at 5:27 pm

@fake people everywhere. Aha too tough on Toke. She has her own issues, she is not perfect and I don’t like everything about her but I must attest to the fact that I think she is a hard worker.

• osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Love you hun for your comment

• Flow

February 23, 2016 at 1:13 pm

@fake people everywhere, dear ma/sir, unlike you some of us were already taking up adult responsibilities as young as 17, and had clear cut vision of what direction we wanted our lives to be, when you do not have anybody to think and plan your life for you, then 17 is too old an age to have that life changing epiphany. This is not about Toke, just wanted you to know that there are many young people at 17 who has been through enough shit in this country and used these experiences to help them shape the course of their lives.

13. Beard gang

February 22, 2016 at 4:46 pm

@T how much did Toke pay you for this PR?? ah ah! ki lo de? slow down. Toke puts her life out for scrutiny so I see know reason people shouldn’t intensively study it. Na wa o she said she is 31 and she dated Ayida for 12years and has been married for over a year when the all that now happen?? Toke I like your talkative nature, it is your best asset but ehn tell convincing stories

14. ngozi

February 22, 2016 at 4:55 pm

yeah but she forget that she kinda used Maje to social climb into the *lagos big people scene* (whatever that means), remember toke mtn at every lagos party- selfing with famous pple? what else toke? Kpele!!

15. Moyo

February 22, 2016 at 4:56 pm

what class does Maje have, his father was one of the old super permanent secretary in the 1970s/80s, most of them started corruption in government, I am not saying his father was part of the corrupt ones. she may also be talking about Demola Adedoyin (October 1st) who she had interviewed and said they were friends sometime back, maybe they were dating?. Don’t mind me o. Lol

• osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:09 pm

If you don’t see class or pedigree in Maje then you can’t see class even in the Queen of a England .
      His diction alone (not the only indicator of pedigree though) is good testament to that fact.

Pedigree nor dey plenty for Nigeria, I kid you not. And in some cases they are not even as rich as you would expect. It has to do a lot with the first generation of those who were properly educated and exposed to civilization in the lineage.

• osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:11 pm

I meant to type ‘Queen of England’ o.

• Boys Just Wanna Have Fun

February 22, 2016 at 8:32 pm

@Osa Linda no good. that was how you left 20 comments on the bag matter fighting internet war over person that know you not. Toke is a liar. pls. what are you? I know, VERMIN!!!!

• Osa

February 22, 2016 at 9:59 pm

@Boys Just Wanna Have Fun’,
      Who are all these pests trailing my comments on various posts? You of course. .

Bella I am too popular on your blog o. So this ‘Boys Just Wanna Have Fun’ person notices me and wants to be my friend stylishly. 20 comments? where? I cant even recollect. Your brain should be channeled to more important things than momentary comments even the poster has forgotten about.

about the vermin. ermmmn. .. Whos that again? It takes one to know one

. Pls get a life and look for friends elsewhere.

16. I just waka come...

February 22, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Pleaseeee.
    I loveeeeeee that bag.

Toke, ignore these doom sayers, speak to me hun.
    Where can I get it????

• Moyo

February 23, 2016 at 10:38 am

I love her shoes too, where can I get it, please information on anyone who knows, I don’t how people will be taking Panadol extra on top of another person matter.

17. Quart

February 22, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Hmmmh…….reminds me of a few years ago when a so called island big boy wanted to date me and I was not interested.He drove behind me one day to know where I live in a block of apartments in Ikoyi,he did not seem impressed…..did not care though.He had bragged to me he was building a house in Lekki ph 1,little do he know I was also building my own house there.Lesson to men out there stop judging a book by its cover.PS:am not even living in the house,I built it to rent out,to generate extra income for myself and I am happily married and blessed with beautiful children.

18. Nkechi

February 22, 2016 at 5:54 pm

I think Toke tried. Try to see the hard working part which is the focus here. Don’t bee too hard on her. You have your issues too.

19. pinkysmart

February 22, 2016 at 5:58 pm

she look cute

20. osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Abegi. Fibs!

Toke has not been in the news in a while and we also know she likes attention like nothing else. THESE ARE LIES FROM THE PIT OF HELL.

TOKE MAKINWA LIAR LIAR. Was it before your relationship of 11 years with my bendel brother of or after? She knew people would resonate more with this kind of tale was why she used it.

• Boys Just Wanna Have Fun

February 22, 2016 at 8:38 pm

@Osa You have problems bigger than u o. (I am shocked to see you still trolling) Evidence that your life is empty. Linda no good. that was how you left 20 comments on the bag matter fighting internet war over person that know you not. You have started again with Toke.
      Toke is a liar. pls. what are you? I know, VERMIN!!!!( I said this before) now l want to add ugly, miserable VERMIN! That is what you are. You know nothing but pretend to know so much about people wey no send you. Tufiakwa

• Osa

February 22, 2016 at 10:03 pm

@Boys Just Wanna Have Fun’, WHY ARE YOU SO BLOODY PAINED OVER ANOTHER PERSON’S MATTER? WELL, ITS BECAUSE YOU HAVE DEEP ROOTED ISSUES THAT YOU NEED TO ADDRESS. PSYCHOLOGICAL? FINANCIAL? RELATIONSHIP? ETC?

YOU SOUND BLOODY BITTER – AT MY COMMENTS. WELL, I MUST REALLY FREAK YOU OUT AND AFFECT YOUR LIFE SO TERRIBLY THAT YOU CAN ONLY RESORT TO BITTERNESS AND ‘UN-OBJECTIVITY’ . NICE TO KNOW IT GOT TO YOU SO ADVERSELY.

Who are all these pests trailing my comments on various posts? You of course. .

about the vermin. ermmmn. .. Whos that again? It takes one to know one

. Pls get a life and look for friends elsewhere.

• Osa

February 22, 2016 at 10:06 pm

@Boys Just Wanna Have Fun’, WHETHER ITS only my comment that attacked Toke. what of the person that calculated her life phases.

You are mental and obsessed with me. Well, guess what? I don’t give a shit about you,. and I don’t like you, so get off this flippn thread!

Btw, where did you crawl out from? Oh I see, you must be hopping from one blog ID to the other since you obviously cant stand by your words

• MeMyself&I

February 23, 2016 at 1:30 am

@Osa, Oooohoooo, so e dey pain you???? Ntoooorrr. Now who is pained leaving 5 comments so far on top another person matter. You are deranged. Get off BN and go take your meds. Wicked miserable animal.
      @ boyswanna l beg leave Osa she is not worthy of any serious consideration.

21. Betty

February 22, 2016 at 6:11 pm

My Mum once told me that real men never consider a woman’s class when marrying ‘cos they are ‘man’ enough to make her into the Princess they desire. It is usually a woman thing to instinctively seek a higher mate, and rightly so. A woman should only hook up with someone she can look up to, while a man picks who he can nurture. These days its like even the rich are pseudo-gold diggers with their vicious self-preservation schemes to keep grand daddy’s money intact or get someone to add to it. The whole what are you bringing to the table -ish. Pls ladies let these sorts be. It does not matter whether they are billionaires or street rats. Steer clear of ‘wetin-you-carry’ kind of men. Trying to please them or live up to their game will only burn you up.

• poverty mentality

February 22, 2016 at 10:39 pm

sorry to say, you have been wrongly brought up. i hope this does not affect you in the nearest future

poverty mentality in your ideology

• Mz Titilitious

February 23, 2016 at 11:24 am

and 100 pple liked her comment? smh….. una go jt dey condemn anyhw and u are rightly brought up ba? with this ur spiteful comment? smh…..

• Moyo

February 23, 2016 at 10:32 am

@Betty, high five

• Vic

March 18, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Enjoyed ur comment until you spoilt it. This is why I tell my friends that I don’t like majority of naija girls. Ur comment signifies gold-digging in its purest form. U are simply saying it’s okay to use a man as a steppingstone — that it’s a woman’s right.

22. De la Cruz

February 22, 2016 at 6:54 pm

So I think am guilty of this. I recently told my girlfriend to get an HND. She only has an ND. She says she wants to do makeup.,hair dressing bla bla. She z a really good girl but family friends have architect, doctor daughters. I have always thought of marrying an engineer girl. She isn’t an engineer far from it. But I just wish she will have an HND at least. Not necessarily for the ego.but I just have this opinion it’s easier for ladies to get a job once she has a degree . Getting a shop for all ds hairdressing stuff z usually expensive in my opinion. And me? Am 26 jus rounding up my 2Nd degree. Thinking about PhD. Sef. I jus think av met too many well read girls to get used to settling with *insert anything *.I do really like her

• Kanda

February 22, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Not Just That
      I agree with you – you want a lady who is educated because she is going to be a huge influence to raising your kids.

Bella maybe you can start a topic on this . Educated dating or marrying the less educated (this has nothing to do with class) . Impacts on that, i am curious to know.

I doubt Jonathan Goodluck never thought hed be president of nigeria someday otherwise he wouldnt have married Patience who embarassed him to the whole world like that.

Men and Women when choosing a mate go beyond physical and choose smart – someone who is smart and intelligent that will compliment you in future. If the person does not have it yet, dont rule them out, you can support them to get it and be proud, but they have to agree they want it too.

• Nana

February 23, 2016 at 12:39 am

That same patience that didn’t go to school also helped Jonathan achieve his dreams. Without her, there wouldn’t have been Jonathan as an ex president. Go read their history.

• I Don Talk My Own

February 23, 2016 at 1:55 pm

You shallow being. Educated means the ability to read, write and communicate effectively. It doesn’t mean a university education. This is the reason why the west is ahead of us. They are educated whilst we are certified.

• Moyo

February 23, 2016 at 3:27 pm

if you really like her then support and encourage her passion, she has an ND, when she becomes a success at what she does, nobody is going to remember whether she has a degree or not. What degree does Dangote have or Mrs Folorunso Alakija, I don’t even know but if Dangote should ask any bank MD to jump, he will ask how high. I beg leave matter for Matthias.

23. oge

February 22, 2016 at 7:10 pm

@De la Cruz….pls encourage her to look for men that reason like her. She is obviously not in ur class. Harsh but true. A relationship with her will not just work for so many reasons.

24. Felinda

February 22, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Man Lie,
    Woman Lie,
    Even Pastors lie with some stories they tell to inspire us in church
    But WHATASAPP “Last Seen” never lies 🙂 🙂 🙂

25. Omo jesu

February 22, 2016 at 8:43 pm

People see through you. Don’t force it period.

26. Boity

February 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm

As a non nigerian and reading this alleged story by toke – and seeing the character exhibited by that blogger Lydia – I can tell that “MANY” (not all) nigerians are like these chicks.

They have such low self esteem – everything they are exhibiting is to prove a point or to feel wanted. Out of all the African nations i have studied or visited and befriended over the years (whether its through church, work, rooming together in college etc) I see that nigeria is a society where “MANY” (not all) – feel their only sense of worth on this planet is showing off because of whatever must have happened to them as a kid or that this is how you have to be in society to be accepted. . It is so evident by simply looking at social media – and the extra length most of my Nigerian friends will go to show off their materialistic wealth.. It is showcased when you read the various Nigerian blogs and the headlines (celebrity X acquires a car, a house, red bottom shoes, on yacht in dubai etc etc etc – ) i mean absolutely nonsense.

There are so many folks i believe in Nigeria or abroad doing GENUINE phenomenal stuff to inspire masses that should be praised or light shined on – on these various blogs.. When someone has a low self esteem it just shines through no matter how many millions of naira – clothing shoes, etc they showcase. Confidence never speaks. It just its

Tell me if i am wrong or educate me if i am wrong.

• Clive

February 22, 2016 at 9:58 pm

You couldn’t have said it better! I’m Nigerian btw

• Tosin

February 22, 2016 at 10:00 pm

True.
      Class is not what folks think class is. Please comment again and educate…

• labelle

February 22, 2016 at 10:21 pm

While you may have a point, I would say that this is normal for ALL societies. There will always be people who have low self esteem and feel the need to prove themselves through material things. The practise of showing off wealth is not a new thing, and Nigerians definitely learnt it from somewhere. On instagram most (most, not all) of the “hermes-carrying-louboutin-wearing” accounts are non-Nigerian. Where do you think they learnt it from? What you have just said is a part of every society. It may seem more from Nigeria because of sheer number, we are just more, that’s all.

• bd

February 23, 2016 at 11:35 am

my dear I’m Nigerian and sadly i agree with all you’ve written here!!!

27. Eshoppaz

February 22, 2016 at 9:43 pm

cute

28. Abiola

February 22, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Making it big is only a matter of choice for ones best interest. Success is not influenced by a family background social status but only depends on individual perception to strive nd earn it. My dear Toke am so embarassed with this piece, u don’t have a geniune reason for your success inspiration other than using the shallow opinion of your ex towards your family as a factor. Am sure dat ex of ures wud read this and start feeling too important and you could as well give him a trophy for a job well done.

29. nunulicious

February 23, 2016 at 12:17 am

We have different motivating factors. I think the ultimate is when you are motivated internally not externally-having to prove anything to anyone. One day, at the end of it all, I hope I can say I was motivated from within- to be all that I can be. I hope I won’t feel validated by ephemeral things like money, people’s opinion, degrees, status or the likes.

Then again, does it matter what motivates you as long as you’re motivated?
    But what do I know, I’m just an ordinary citizen.

30. swagg1

February 23, 2016 at 1:50 am

For someone who was rejected due to class status , you would think that she should have been more compassionate not to talk down at her driver.What a phony!!!!!

• RIFF RAFF

February 23, 2016 at 8:08 am

You have an interesting point

31. LAGOS GALA

February 23, 2016 at 3:22 am

if an angel appears and tell me that this “story of hers about her ex boyfriend” is a fabricated lie.. i won’t be surprise ill just tell the angel “you wasted your time appearing to me to deliver the message cause i know its a lie” this women cant just keep shut and just hustle… always blowing her own trumpet…. keep hustling, no one need to know all and all biko!!

32. Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 23, 2016 at 3:48 am

Everyone has an a ha moment story

33. Pearl rose

February 23, 2016 at 8:59 am

Toke you are a liar . Spinning unnecessary story . Everybody has to spin one sorry ass story of their humble beginning to success. So last year and rather annoying
    Wonder why people fall for this cheap stunts . Taking people for fools . Oni iro osi .

34. Anon

February 23, 2016 at 9:01 am

And South Africans aren’t that way? All you guys talk about each and everyday on your blogs is “ttt girls” and their sponsors showing off exotic trips and designer bags or have I lied?

• Anon

February 23, 2016 at 12:41 pm

This comment is for Boity.

35. Baby_shirl

February 23, 2016 at 10:06 am

I’m not a Toke fan. I do like the fact that she used something like that to motivate herself. i’d like to think that the fact you date someone for that long doesn’t mean you can break up and reconcile. Maybe she met this dude during off-peak hours…

36. KWAKWACITY

February 23, 2016 at 10:42 am

Toke is right on this one! Mine left me because I also did not meet up to what his mother wanted!!!! He chose his mother’s friend’s daughter and to break my heart even more she is Yankee born and breed so he left to the US and she gave him a smooth landing….I heard he has a job and they have a son now ! Lol well that’s life!

37. Ever Green

February 23, 2016 at 12:38 pm

I can feel your pain kwakwacity cause I am going through issues like this, he not meant for you that is just the summary, God will provide your own husband that will love,appreciate and be proud of you, go girl sky is just the beginning!

38. I Don Talk My Own

February 23, 2016 at 1:53 pm

@De la cruz stay away from her. You are a dream killer and would only bring her down. She knows what she wants and is going after it. You go look for your type- degree carrying women. You don’t deserve her.

39. Ethel

February 23, 2016 at 2:00 pm

ummmmh….. anyways not minding the varying negative views, i am inspired by this piece

40. Finally!Finally

February 23, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Wots dis one saying, want to start dis kind of skit of humble story all of a sudden Tot wit all ur foney, behaving like u were born wit a diamond spoon, now ur parents were poor, na wah posing rich no more selling again, look here I was poor once is the in thing now, can see somebody attaching to Olajumoke the bread seller story!!!!

41. Truth

February 23, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Eeyah thats why she talks
    To herself in the name of vlogging and keeps attending events until Maggi took pity on her and made her food ambassador. Not hating on her o.ehn before bella vultures decend on me.just an observation.

42. Anita

February 23, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Toke isn’t even close to a definition of successful she’s just an everyday girl still busy bodying to seek the so could attention

43. Ruth Atamenwan

February 26, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Werk it sis, you do your thing. nothing can stop you now. Inspiring really!