Features

World Cancer Day 2016: Adenike Oyetunde Celebrates 10 Years of Beating Cancer

BellaNaija.com

POSH8343When she was 20 years old, Adenike Oyetunde was diagnosed with Osteogenic Sarcoma, and it disrupted her world as she knew it. Today, the vibrant and beautiful lawyer and radio girl celebrates 10 years of beating Cancer.

BellaNaija shared Adenike’s story in 2012, {Click here if you missed it} and even as the world marks the World Cancer Day, Nike’s story remains a beacon of hope to everyone who is down in the dumps.

She has chosen today, to use her story to bring awareness to Cancer and to use the opportunity to help raise funds for Debbie Osarere Idiagbonyawho is currently fighting breast cancer.

***
It’s the World Cancer Day, and I guess it really wouldn’t mean anything to a lot of people, like I didn’t to me; until I was diagnosed, fought and beat cancer.

Fourth of February every year from 2008, as been set aside as the World Cancer Day, primarily to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.

My fight with cancer, didn’t come without it’s own losses, as sometimes I think.

Today, ten years ago, I won my fight to cancer, but I lost the use of my natural right limb. I lost my right leg. I had to amputate it. Yup… you guessed right, I had to let go of my right leg; otherwise, I bet I most definitely would be at the other side of the divide now.

POSH8518 Please, don’t ask me ‘what other side.

It’s been ten years of varying emotions.

When my doubts were going to eat me up about what the future had in store for me. Where I wasn’t sure if my life, as I had known it would continue, or vary, and if it varied, to what extent?

Ten years, it has taken me to re-affirm my self worth.
Ten years to understand incontrovertibly, that I am beautiful.
POSH8260
I, my name is Adenike Oyetunde, and I am living my life like it’s golden.

Alive, Awake and and Cancer free…

Join me, help raise funds for Idiagbonya Osarere Debora, to beat cancer.
@debbified
Accessbank 0000216933
Visit Debbie’s GoFundMe page to make a contribution.

POSH8369 POSH8301

Photo Credit:
Make Up: @makeupexplorer
Photography: @poshclick
Outfit: @ovems

1. charles ebere

February 4, 2016 at 11:38 am

wow stunning

2. @edDREAMZ

February 4, 2016 at 11:45 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Thank God for his life…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• o

February 4, 2016 at 2:11 pm

huh???

• Ehiwarior

February 4, 2016 at 5:55 pm

She’s a lady.

• jade

February 5, 2016 at 4:48 am

@ed dreamz

Jupiter is making you see double, abeg come back on earth so you can see properly.
      This woman’s strength and radiance is an inspiration. Beautiful, strong and intelligent. God bless you, Adenike.

3. lyn

February 4, 2016 at 11:48 am

Wow! what a fighter! God bless your heart..

4. SLA

February 4, 2016 at 12:02 pm

She’s so beautiful

5. me

February 4, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Wow, such a fighter. Thanking God with you and for you. And saying sorry to God for every time I have been ungrateful and asking questions of why me? And how can. Am truly sorry lord and am encouraged. Yes am going to give my little token to Debbie

6. Sharon

February 4, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Such an inspiration and beautiful too with a stunning figure.

7. X-Factor

February 4, 2016 at 12:45 pm

‘met her for the first time the day she was crowned Ms Taruwa and I am yet to get over that experience has changed my life for the best…..

8. Social Media9

February 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Wow girl U are beautiful, God bless u in all u do, x

9. LEE

February 4, 2016 at 1:47 pm

To God be the Glory, Honour, Majesty and Praise….
    Continue to serve HIM
    God is not done with You….i mut say you are a piece of beauty ….BIZOU

10. o

February 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm

So glad you beat it!!! God’s continually blessings, Amen. Would be 7yrs this month i lost my mum to the dreaded C….still hurts badly #sigh

11. Tunmi

February 4, 2016 at 2:35 pm

12. Hamdalat

February 4, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Beautiful, amazing and inspiring! Continue living beautiful, cancer can’t stop you.

• nene+

February 4, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Adenike’s courage is worthy to emulate!!! Have listen to her on radio and TV with Ebuka. She is natural, independent minded,happy and objective in her presentations!

I admire you a lot Adenike! Keep up the joy I am happy for you!

May your good health will remain permanent!

13. Honeycrown

February 4, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Oh wow! I remember the story. Thank God for your life and I’m very happy for you. Keep shining my sister. Carpe Diem!!!

14. Dokun

February 4, 2016 at 5:27 pm

You are always an inspiration Nike. Vibrant, Friendly, Selfless, Unashamed, Deliberate, Purposeful….
    Everytime I see your picture or read something that you’ve written, I am constantly reminded that I need to make my life count for something, every single breath.
    Yes you are beautiful but much more than that you have a beautiful heart.
    XOXO

15. Tiwa

February 4, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Wow,Nike,I admire ur courage,we went to same uni bck then,I’m so happy for you,it takes the grace of God to publicize yourself& I remember how you pushed on in school after your leg was amputated,I really admire you,shame to the friends that left you bck then,I see God light shinning in you now,I’m touched,the lord is your strength

16. Missy J

February 4, 2016 at 6:35 pm

You go girl!!

17. Adenike

February 4, 2016 at 6:38 pm

My namesake, I love you without knowing you.

18. Damilola Stories

February 4, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I have known Adenike Oyetunde for almost a month now, although i never knew she had this until now. I am very grateful to God for meeting her, she is one of those persons you have to meet(must meet). She is cool, witty, intelligent and she taught me how to produce a show, not all people will do that. Denike God has a BIG plan for you, but remember everything works together for the good of them that loves the Lord. You have a story to tell…..

19. Olabisi

February 4, 2016 at 10:21 pm

She’s indeed a genius,she knows her onions, this is a big challenge to we dat av d privilege to read dis story, i dove my hat,tuale adenike

20. Princess

February 5, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Nike you’re so beautiful and girl your hair is so fabbbbbbb!

21. Anonymous

February 17, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I went to school with Nike and lost contact for a very long while. Nike is an inspiration to me, her vigour and zeal for life is a positive motivating force for me. God bless you darling, your story has inspired many and touched lives. Through your charity, you have raised awareness and connected many children with prosthetic limbs who would otherwise not be seen in society or have a voice. Keep shining, Keep on moving!