News

₦4 Billion Fraud including ₦150m to refurbish his son’s houses: Court remands Badeh in Kuje Prison

Alex BadehAbuja, March 7, 2016 (NAN) A Federal High Court, Abuja on Monday ordered the remand of ex-Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh in Kuje prison.

Badeh who is standing trial on a 10-count charge bordering fraud amounting to N4bn is to remain behind bar till March 10 when his bail application would be heard.

Justice Okon Abang gave the order after Badeh pleaded not guilty to the charges and the prosecution – Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) – applied for his remand pending commencement of his trial.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the judge declined an application by Badeh’s lawyer that his client should be granted bail upon an earlier application filed for his release. Okon held that it was novel in law for a defendant to file bail application prior to an arraignment.

It would be recalled that following his continuous incarceration by the EFCC during investigation, Badeh had filed the application for enforcement of his fundamental right.

In the charge, the EFCC alleged that Badeh unlawfully used funds meant for the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) to purchase landed properties in choice areas in Abuja, while serving as Chief of Air Staff.

In the charge, the EFCC alleged that Badeh used Iyalikam Nig Ltd, a company believed to be owned by him, to misappropriate N1bn in 2013.

It alleged that the money was removed from the accounts of the NAF to purchase for himself a mansion at Maitama, Abuja.

The offences, the EFCC said ran contrary to Section 15 (2) (d) of money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 (as amended) and punishable under Section 15 (3) of the same Act.

Badeh and his company were also alleged to have removed from the accounts of the NAF, and did use dollar equivalent of N650m to purchase a commercial plot at 1386, Oda crescent Cadastral Zone Ao7, Wuse ll Abuja.

He was also alleged to have, between March and Dec. 2013, in Abuja unlawfully removed N878.3m from NAF accounts.

The charge alleged that the amount was paid into account of Rytebuilders Technologies Ltd with Zenith Bank Plc for construction of his personal shopping mall at Plot 1386, Cadastral zone.

The ex-CDS was also alleged to have used the stolen money to purchase for his son, Alex Badeh (jnr), a duplex at No 19 Kumasi crescent Wuse Abuja.

Also, the defendant was alleged to have illegally withdrawn the sum of N90m from NAF accounts to furnish the son’s house.

He was also alleged to have unlawfully taken N60m from the NAF accounts to renovate another property belonging to his son.

1. keke driver

March 7, 2016 at 1:38 pm

No fear what so ever, someone will just steal Billions of Naira like it’s N500…God help us o

• Ariere

March 7, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Someone will steal that same N500 in a Local market or area and will not be spared to live another day. (Jungle Justice)

2. just bored

March 7, 2016 at 1:42 pm

This same man came out last week to say it was witch hunting. I can’t understand why they haven’t questioned GEJ. All these happened on his watch.

3. ladyb

March 7, 2016 at 2:09 pm

ah ah you people should fear GOD OH and people are suffering

4. Californiabawlar

March 7, 2016 at 2:26 pm

What would you do if this was your father? How do children of disgraced public officials cope? I have a thick skin oh, but I think I’d entire the ground out of shame if my immediate family were involved in such mess….
    I guess they assume it is ‘witch-hunting’ and go about their business….

• Bloop

March 7, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Nwannem California, you know all these stopped getting me surprised after the brouhaha bk in I think 2009. the MD of intercontinental bank/pastor of Redeemed was asked to return 69million pounds( now let’s not even get into Oceanic bank’s saga). 69million pounds*a minute silence*…now this just a part discovered in the UK. not 69 million naira not dollars but POUNDS.
      maybe it’s my poor mentality but what does one really do with all that especially when you weren’t born with a golden spoon. do you even what much to do with that…the trips, the foods, the designers…got it.
      now a 4 bedroom at Enugu, GRA, Golf estate costs just half million naira. yup u read that right. a trip to SA is 160k…I don’t even get the need for such greed.
      the one that baffles me, is take for exp Abia state ex-governors n their kids. yes I am Abian and Abia is the worst state at the moment. now the roads in Abia are a big mess. I remember taking a bus from enugu to ph. once u enter Abia, nne u go know! so all these their kids wen they come home from abroad et al. abia has no airport so no matter the jet stopping at Enugu. or the Ferrari coming to pick u with AC…if u like close eye. those bumps u mustu feel them. so they can’t say daddy, sweet daddy when will u fix this road. mba. I think the kids are as shameless as them.
      my brother schooled at Pacesetters so I know what I am talking about.

• Bloop

March 7, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I’m usually sooooo lazy to type n just say everything in my mind. getting exhausted already but if you think Naija de bad…wait til you hear of other countries. shey Burundi’s president just got a 3rd term. how old is the Zimbabwean presidpresident…92. since 1986. haba mana! Uganda, 3rd tenure. congo still fighting. shey Libya now don get democracy.
      and last but not least, the one that irks me most…EQUITORAL GUINEA. Yes with a population of approximately half a million people…yes o. u read that right. 500 000. even zamfara is more populated. not even one third of Lagos state(Google if u think I tell a lie). with oil in such a country. yup they’ve got oil. yet they are the poorest country in the world. no clean drinking water talk more of ” nepa”. one man has been ruling for over 4 decades!. His son is the VP!. …I could go on bur I don taya abeg.
      the thing wey hold Africa no be small sth. the level of greed and corruption is unbelievable and incomprehensible…smh. oh well.
      I don go. I get work. Tchao!
      N.b any mistake, please pardon. e no easy to de type this thing ontop poor network. Naija I hail o.

• Dr. N

March 7, 2016 at 6:05 pm

My Abia sister. Kedu
      I keep trembling at d thought of visiting my parents in prison. What kind of life is that? I will drive d ferrari bought with looted funds and step out of it in my loubs only to deliver food to my dad at Kuje! God forbid!
      Let each Nigerian learn contentment. For godliness with contentment is great gain

5. elly

March 7, 2016 at 2:55 pm

It beats me how one man can acquire so much wealth that would have been more than enough to take care of more than 4 states in Nigeria or even take care of the whole Airforce PAN NIGERIA. as in??? I cant even explain it. Can someone help me out please. This one is on another level oh. And the average air force personnel is dying of hunger. Christ is lord indeed. Shey Nigeria go better so my people with all of these? How many rooms can your wonderful son sleep in inside this mansion? While the average airforce staff cannot boast of even good salaries at the end of the month.

6. Benson Ossai

March 7, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Building the earth forgetting we will all die one day and leave everything here.Do good while you can.Please ask King Solomon when you see him and he will tell you it is vanity upon vanity.Once you can feed,cloth and protect yourself from the rain please be contented.While stealing what belongs to the nation for just yourself and your family?

7. Benson Ossai

March 7, 2016 at 3:01 pm

why stealing what belongs to the nation for just yourself and your family?

8. Truth hurts

March 7, 2016 at 3:35 pm

He bought a house. Later his son, son gf or wife including the children’s children will later come online to stunt for us on BN, IG and Facebook.

Bellanaija if you like do not post my comment as usual. I see how you flooded the Ohakim twins, daughter inlaw including their children. Yet my family was part of the masses that suffered under ohakim regime.

FYI: my birthday was same as the ohakim twins but I trust you had more VIP to flood your page with their pictures. Nonsense and Rubbish!!!

• Agreed

March 7, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Tell them!
      BN, hope you are listening..
      You cannot be “acting” with double mouth

9. Omo jesu

March 7, 2016 at 3:56 pm

This must be mental illness!

10. ethio

March 7, 2016 at 4:21 pm

And the recovered loot have been used to achieve what since then?. When will headlines say ‘abacha loot used to complete railway network throughout the country’ or diezani’s recovered loot ensures the completion of second Niger bridge. Where the hell is this country headed with all these stories that touch

11. prince

March 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm

He shouldn’t be remanded in prison please, he should be there for the remaining years of his life. what kind of human being is this? living large at other people’s expense.

12. just bored

March 7, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Capital punishment for stealing public funds…

13. swagg1

March 7, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Total disgrace to the nation. He should be charged for treason for diverting National security fund to personal use. Douchbag!!!

14. ao

March 7, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I’m tired just reading this. Apparently, greed has levels. This is too much.

15. NaijaPikin

March 7, 2016 at 10:42 pm

They should please add “MURDER” to his charges. How many air force planes crashed during his time? Planes that were not properly maintained cos oga was stealing the money. Imbecile. May rats chop his body parts small by small in that kuje prison. rubbish

16. nene

March 7, 2016 at 11:39 pm

buhari should put huge fines and lifetime imprisonment for embezzlement, i would’ve said the death penalty but i don’t believe in capital punishment. embezzlement, bribery and corruption has become a nuisance to our society. wicked souls!