Style

BellaNaija Style presents the Body Shape Series Vol. 2: Pear

Eki Ogunbor

BN body shape fruitsLast week BellaNaija Style featured the first volume of the BN Body Shape Series where one of our new voices – Eki Ogunbor spoke about the Apple shape. To find out if you’re an Apple shaped girl and to know what works and doesn’t work for your figure, read it here.

The body shape we’ll be discussing today is the Pear, also known as the triangle or spoon. It’s a very common body shape in Nigeria and is widely embraced around Africa as we are known for fuller hips and thighs.

Nollywood actress and human rights activist, Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, is a perfect example of this shape.

Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde-Ebony-Magazine-February-2016-BellaNaija0003

Characteristics of the Pear Shape

• You carry most of your weight around your hips and your thighs
  • Your hips are larger than your bust
  • You have a nicely defined waist, which is your best feature

pear body shapeFor the pear shape, your hips and thighs are the widest part of your frame. To look your best, you should aim to create a balanced look, adding more fullness on the top half of your body and emphasizing your slim waist.

Wearing clothes that fill out your top half and flatter your lower body can help you achieve this balanced look.

Tips for Your Top

• Off shoulder or boat neck tops and V necks work well with your frame because it shows off your slim neck and equally slim shoulders.
  • Structured/textured sleeves help fill out your shoulders and make them appear broader. Shoulder pads are helpful here.
  • Create the illusion of a fuller bust by wearing tops with details around the bust. It could be pockets, embellishments, frills or a bow.
  • Wearing bright colours and patterns on top helps take attention away from your wider areas.
  • One golden rule for the pear shaped girl is to always accentuate your waistline, this is the beginning of wisdom.

Tips for Your Bottom

• High waist cuts skirts or trousers help draw attention to your waist and away from you hips.
  • A-line skirts and slightly full skirts that skim your body without creating more volume helps to conceal your wider areas.
  • Dark coloured trousers and jeans without visible pockets help create a slimming effect on your thighs.
  • Bootcut or tapered jeans and trousers.
  • Wide leg trousers and jumpsuits also look good with this shape.

Avoid

• Embellished details and bring colours or patterns around your hips/thighs.
  • Hem lines that finish at your widest part. Like mini skirts, shorts or jackets that stop at your hips or thighs, it draws attention to these areas.
  • Drop waist dresses hide your defined waist.
  • Skirts and trousers that are too tight.

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde clearly understands the importance of a defined waist.

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde in Ada by Alter Ego - BellaNaija Style - February 2014 - BellaNaija - 023

This green outfit also features a top with puffy sleeves that helps balance out her figure. In other photos she shows us how a peplum style top/jacket helps accentuate her curves as a pear shaped woman.

Omotola & D'banj

Omotola_Pampers_Meeting_28Aug14_Sync Media House-2

The shoulder detail on this blue peplum dress is another tip to draw attention to your top and create a fuller look.

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde Arrives in London for Amina Premiere - October 2012 - BellaNaija002

Love this peplum jacket.

In the next few pictures, Omotola shows us how she wears straight/wide leg trousers for the pear shape.

Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde (1)Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

It’s always important to highlight your waist either with an embellishment, a belt or a crop top, if you don’t mind showing skin.

Omotola-Jalade-Ekeinde

Another gorgeous pear shaped girl is Osas Ajibade.

2. Osas Ajibade

The fit & flare cut is perfect for the pear shape.

Osas Ajibade

With a smaller bust, pear shaped girls can get away with a plunging neckline or a cut out like Osas has here. The cut of this dress also works perfectly with her figure.Osas-Gbenro-Ajibade-Thank-You-Soiree-August-2015-BellaNaija0071

A fit & flare dress always works for a pear girl.

BellaNaija Weddings-Fola Lawal Photography-OSAS-GBENRO-635New York White Wedding Photos

Dress by Andrea Iyamah

BellaNaija Weddings-Fola Lawal Photography-OSAS-GBENRO-666New York White Wedding Photos

BellaNaija Weddings-Fola Lawal Photography-OSAS-GBENRO-010New York White Wedding Photos

Dress by Mai Atafo

For both of her wedding dresses, Osas opted for an off shoulder neckline which helps show off her neck and collar bone, part of her slimmest features.

Osas-Ighodaro-Birthday-Fuse-October2014-BellaNaija144

I love this look on Osas, that skirt is so me!

Jennifer Lopez is another pear shaped girl who hardly gets it wrong.

Jennifer Lopez attends the Costume Institute Gala Benefit to celebrate the opening of the "American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity" exhibition at The Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 3, 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America)

This sleeveless dress shows off her slimmest parts, her neck and slim waist. Zuhair Murad is her go-to designer and he knows just how to dress her body.

performs onstage during the 2015 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on November 22, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.

I think this is one of my favourite dresses ever. This Michael Cinco dress features a fuchsia ombré uplifted by Swarovski crystals. But its not about the dress, JLo looks amazing in this fit & flare dress, her waist looks perfect.

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 22: Host Jennifer Lopez attends the 2015 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on November 22, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Charley Gallay/AMA2015/Getty Images for dcp)

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA - FEBRUARY 25: Singer/actress Jennifer Lopez attends Meet Fox's "American Idol XV" Finalists at The London Hotel on February 25, 2016 in West Hollywood, California. (Photo by Emma McIntyre/Getty Images)

If you’re confident that you can rock it, a bodysuit, pencil dress/skirt helps show off your beautiful figure.

Shakira is another pear shaped girl with hips that don’t lie.LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 18: Recording artist Shakira attends the 2014 Billboard Music Awards at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 18, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images)

WHAT NOT TO WEAR IF YOU’RE A PEAR!!!
GettyImages-506743892

However, This outfit isn’t flattering for her because there’s no definition and it makes her look wider than she is. We love Shakira and this looks like a casual date night look but we don’t like this look because it hides her amazing body.

Don’t forget to show us ways you rock a trend on your Instagram page with the hashtag #BellaNaijaStyle telling us one thing you love about yourself/your body and we just might share your image in one of the body shape posts.

***

Look out for the next volume in the series, it’ll be for carrot shapes!

***

Photo Credit: pinterest.com | Jason Merritt/Getty Images | Emma McIntyre/Getty Images | Robert Marquardt/Getty Image | Larry Busacca/Getty Images North America | Charley Gallay/AMA2015/Getty Images | Kevin Winter/Getty Images | Sync Images | Fola Lawal

Eki is the Editor for BellaNaija Style and Lifestyle Editor for BellaNaija.com She has a Vogue Fashion Certificate from Conde Nast College of Fashion & Design and also attended Central Saint Martins, London College of Fashion and the University of Kent. Eki headed the Design Operations at a top Nigerian womenswear fashion brand before finding love at BellaNaija Style. Eki loves all things creative. Follow her on Instagram @ekiogunbor BellaNaija Style: [email protected] | @bellanaijastyle BellaNaija Beauty: @bellanaijabeauty BellaNaija Living: [email protected] | @bellanaijaliving

1. Zayneerb

March 14, 2016 at 11:19 am

Yeah… that’s me
    thanks bellanaija

2. Uju Lilian Ikegbune

March 14, 2016 at 11:39 am

Nice writeup Eki! I am pear shaped, I like to wear tank top, peplum top and wide tooth pants, it enhances my figure.

• Befuddled

March 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm

What are ‘wide tooth pants’? Are they comb-like trousers?? Work on your plurals too. If that fails, Try pidgin next time

• kele

March 14, 2016 at 1:26 pm

LOOOOOL. Stahp.

3. MR I TOO KNOW

March 14, 2016 at 11:46 am

nah so, everybody will they are pear shape and peanut shape even though they are apple shape, string bean shape and carrot shape….
    embrace your shape and please dress according to your shape!!

4. Tosin

March 14, 2016 at 11:47 am

translation:
    you resemble ‘igo beer’ – most of the juice is in the bottom.
    aka team arsenal defeat team manchester
    aka sister got the hips and ass.
    aka don’t let Timaya catch you for corner.

Comments:
    1. Love Yourself.
    2. Go and disturb men with all these oyinbo fruits matter :-/ You know they don’t have time.
    3. ‘Stylists’ though are getting free education. Thank you, Aunt Bella.

5. oga titus

March 14, 2016 at 11:53 am

come oh…. what about “S shape” “P shape” and “V shape” ?

6. Majestic

March 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Yea…so me!

7. Eileen

March 14, 2016 at 12:46 pm

She wants to hide her body.

8. bijouxthisbijouthat

March 14, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Ideally, i am supposed to be pear shaped but i have bad carbs diet get a better part of me so i am almost becoming an S shaped! Working on it seriously, i must maintain this figure at all cost!!

9. I said so

March 14, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Yes! I was looking forward to this post.I am pear shaped and sometimes its hard to shop for simple outfits. Most times when i buy clithing, i realise that will fit well at the hip line but leave a whole lot of space at the waist line because thats part is much slimmer.so these days i have learnt to just stick to peplum outfits or have my outfits custom made so its made to measure.

10. Kunbi

March 14, 2016 at 2:32 pm

I abdolutely love this post and love the different personalities used. I personally stalk omotola and Kim kardashian for my styling cause they embody that wholesome womanly mature but fresh exiting style I want. Biko is Kim kardashian too peal shaped or I have been half mis stalking oh!

• Majestic

March 14, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Kim isn’t pear shaped…she’s hourglass.

11. jinkelele

March 14, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Most Nigerian women are pear shaped everything is in the ass and hips.
    Probably the biggest challenge when losing weight.

12. Big Tee

March 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

which one is pear again? I don’t know this things, what I know is that I like small bobby, big yansh and i prefer for my babe not to have big tummy. Thats all!!!

13. We

March 14, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Cos ma body too bootylicious for you babe!!!

14. We all pear joor

March 14, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Omotola, shakira, beyonce , Jlo , Osas … Damn all the hot chicks are pear shaped. Biko me too am pear shaped oh. I won’t gree even though my ass is like slippers at least my hips wide na? Wink wink abi I no join?

15. chichi

March 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm

okay now…i may be wrong but i think we are mixing things up here…Most of the women listed are hourglass/peanut shaped women and not necessarily pear shaped..Osas for example is not in any way, shape or form pear shaped..beyonce, shakira, kim, jlo and co are definitely hourglass shaped women…Typical examples of pear shaped women are juliet ibrahim, joselyn dumas and the new khloe…

• Lola

March 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Are you blind? Can’t you see how most of them are almost flat chested and skinny on top then VERY full at the bottom. #ReceiveSense

• chichi

March 14, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Oh how kind…I usually don’t receive sense from Rabid dogs but thanks nonetheless ☺

• jhennique

March 15, 2016 at 9:53 am

You think hour glass is about having bumbum and hips abi?
      Examples of pple with hour glass: Nicki Minaj. Kim K, Toolz. Dont get it twisted, you must have brezz too to be hourglass anything

• jhennique

March 15, 2016 at 11:06 am

*Example of

16. Marie Scarlett

March 14, 2016 at 8:43 pm

I’m pear shaped too, really proud of my tiny waist though I’m a little shy about my massive hips and thighs, I love my body!

17. The real dee

March 14, 2016 at 10:44 pm

I don’t even know which shape category I fall under abi am I shapeless ni ? ??. I have a sizeable breast, not small like Omotola and not big like Toolz. I have a big bossom, big like Omotola. I don’t know what category my waist falls under as it is not small and it is not as big as my bossom, if I had a flat stomach, it might look smaller but I’ll say its a little round. Then hips, my bosom is big so I can’t say whether its hips I have on my side or bottom. And then I have turkey thighs. Please o, what shape category am I? ? The only style dress that I can confidently say I look amazing in is peplum style.

• sultana

March 23, 2016 at 2:29 pm

This is me oh. i find myself in your description rather than all the foregoing apple shape, pear shape etc.

18. Ijustwonder,,,butIneverturntowanderer

March 15, 2016 at 7:20 am

,,,No wonder most men crave them all…All this shapes tossed together will make a good salad,,,dem go chop clean mouth.

19. jhennique

March 15, 2016 at 9:51 am

“..but we don’t like this look because it hides her amazing body” BN is t everytime show figure up n dan. Sometimes its okay to wear free clothes too. Let the body receive small breeze abeg

20. mz titilitious

March 16, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Pear shape all the way…

• Tosin

March 16, 2016 at 4:47 pm

so that’s not you in the photo? unless you have a spectacularly explosive lower body i don’t know.

re: tight jeans/low waist jeans – thank you o, writer, they made/make no sense with a curvaceous bum.
      besides the fact that they fall off, show orisirisi Babylon tings, they also waste the curve that is there that just wants to be hugged in some classic pants/trousers/white corduroys 😉 the low-waist designs were made to hep valley chics you know those tin oyinbo girls wey dey long like snake (i know they’re taking something to look that way…the party chic look)?
      that’s how my aloveh bought one tight jeans with low waist for me it was a mistake. the first time i didn’t know my yansh would be out when i sit, see me with short blazer had to off it and tie round my waist; then even after that when i’d wear with a longer top it was cutting off circulation in the thighs. plus it was killing my God-given amazing figure 😛 i can not come and go and die, you dat you are tin wear it.

every figure is amazing, by the way.

21. Tosin

March 17, 2016 at 7:44 am

Please don’t say my own is too much, but my best photo of the whole series so far (apple pear carrot – see, i’m a good student) is that Omotola green ankara.

And one of the big irritations I’ve had all this time is the whitey-whitey fashion. That and the suggestion that we’re correcting problems – add appearance of bobby here , put appearance of waist here – not enjoying freedom. Every body is beautiful. Every nigga is a star.

That said, may God blezz your minixtry as I remember a young friend with a normal poundo belleh and normal thick waist in those days posted a facebook picture of herself with i think a fat belt many inches wide as was the fashion and the belt was white or yellow and the clot was dark and i just prayed for her.