Style

Jasmine Zik: 5 Tips That Would Make Your Natural Hair Grow

IMG_3086Do you ever wonder why your hair isn’t growing, yet you find it everywhere on the floor or stuck in your comb? The average growth of human hair is 1/2inch per month or 6inches per year. Hindered growth(increase in length) may be as result of 2 primary causes- Shedding and Breakage.

Shedding of hair is a natural process that’s unavoidable. On the average, we shed between 60-100 strands of hair daily. If you’re within this range, don’t panic. it’s normal, it would be replaced. In order for new hair to grow there has to be shedding, yes? But some people experience excessive shedding, sometimes it feels like you’re going bald!

hairg Hair loss (shedding and breakage) can be due to a lot of factors :

Daily activities like combing/brushing hair,washing hair(try doing green/black tea rinses or using aloe vera to minimize shed), packing in ponytails, bad handling of hair(impatiently taking out of protective styles, using wrong tools like narrow tooth comb )lead to hair breakage and hair loss.

Use of Heat (excessive): Chemicals contained in some of our hair products & chemical processes such as dye or relaxers, dries the scalp out, damages hair’s protein structure and in turn weakens the hair shaft which leads to hair breakage, and thus reduce the thickness of your hair. Use sulfate free shampoos & conditioners.

Health Factors:

Physical / Emotional stress
Pregnancy, sometimes during pregnancy but mostly postpartum.
Deficiency in Iron or lack of Vitamins(like Vitamin B), Protein or too much Vit. A
Heredity, Genes or Hormones
Illness/Medication like Lupus, chemotherapy, birth control pills

Before you start panicking, figure out what the cause of the excessive shedding or breakage is (you can go see a doctor). The next step is to grow back or speed up hair growth.

5  Tips to try:

• New Habits: Develop the habit of drinking lots of Water, it has a lot of benefits for your skin too! Eat foods, nuts and fruits that contain protein, vitamins, Iron,antioxidants, fish oil etc-good diet, basically. Exercise!(you don’t necessarily have to go to the gym) . Ensure your scalp is clean; also use apple cider vinegar.
  • Moisturize: Don’t forget that moisture comes from water and any product which you use as a moisturizer must contain water. This helps your hair stay healthier, minimize breakage and retain length. Seal with oil.
  • Massage scalp(at least every other day): The best oils to use are essential oils.Massaging helps ease tension in the scalp making it easier for blood flow to the scalp for hair growth. A friend once told me to turn my head upside down for a few seconds/minutes and I finally understood why it should work->blood circulation in scalp=hair growth
  • Use of supplements: Supplements like vitamins (A,B,C,D), biotin, Iron etc help boost your hair’s health. Be sure to take them along side a proper diet!
  • Low manipulative/protective styles: These prevent everyday manipulation of hair which causes breakage and helps in length retention. Don’t leave them in too long! Don’t forget to be patient during detangling.

Be patient with your hair, love it and it’ll grow.

Jasmine Zik is a Lawyer, Entrepreneur, Writer and Natural hair enthusiast. She helps individuals embrace their natural hair, finding everyday problems, solutions to issues girls/women face especially with their natural ‘unrelaxed’ hair and providing affordable products for easy management and healthier natural hair through her online platformwww.iamknotteebynature.com

1. Me

March 5, 2016 at 5:53 pm

People, supplements ARE NOT for everybody, my full head of hair is gone 🙁 because of supplements. (As in I’m now bald on the right side of my head)…..Just eat a balanced diet, condition and moisturize your hair trust me that’s all you need for a good head of hair.

• jhennique

March 5, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Na lie! Where e go?
      Please what supplements were you taking? How did u use them? Did you neglect your hair just cos you were using supps? We’re you over manipulating your hair thinking supps were a magic potion? We need to get to the bottom of this #OperationBringBackYourHair

• Me

March 6, 2016 at 1:15 am

I was taking hair skin and nails by it works international. I wasn’t over manipulating the hair (it’s always in a bun or braided under a weave) and I take very good care of the hair. I’ve cut off the relaxed bit (too too painful, my hair was about 13 inches and now it’s immeasurable :(…sigh) I’m starting all over, when it’s strong enough in like 4 months I’d relax it, please I’m no team natural so don’t advice me to go natural, this life is too short for me to be carrying a difficult to comb and maintain head of hair just because I want to belong to a popular new trend… Thanks anyway

• Bola

March 6, 2016 at 1:07 am

Maybe you used Hairfinity. You were supposed to use supplements like b complex vitamins and folic acid, drink lots of water, eat foods high in fibre, also eat lots of onions and basically, have a balanced diet. In addition to using oils like castor and jojoba, peppermint and tea tree. And of course, patience.

2. Oluchy

March 5, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I used supplements too following steps in a blog i read…suddenly i started losing my front hairs…all of it i complained to dem and they recommended Shea butter to regain d lost hair and im using it right now but nothing nothing

• Abk

March 6, 2016 at 1:22 am

You guys need to stop using Hairfinity. People complain a lot about hair loss once they stop using it, and acne while using it.
      Just eat well, use oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, avocado and castor. Don’t make overly tight hairstyles, try to keep your hair moisturized, let your hair breath. Keep your hair clean. Have patience, and be careful of what you use. Research and study your hair, different things work for different people.

3. Fix it

March 5, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Oluchy go get you some high frequency machine on Amazon and watch that baby grow. It comes with a comb attachment, use it in your edges every day and you will be shocked with the results in a week. The machine stimulates circulation in the scalp and it’s cheap like 40 dollars. Don’t buy dermawand, too expensive with even less power.

As far as growth, add some kale and spinach to your smoothies and watch it flourish. I don’t do supplements but I take pre natals without any biotin in it for over all health. Plus I do wigs- kinky straight type wigs with my hair in cornrows underneath. I wash my braided hair once a week, and oil the ends twice a day to keep dryness at bay. Once a month I take out the cornrows and do it all over again. It’s working for me and the high frequency is keeping my edges like a nice bush. Hope this helps a natural haired sister. The struggle is real lol

4. Patty

March 5, 2016 at 9:47 pm

I tried a hair oil called edera, its an ltalian product on a blog, this oil has really help my edges grow and full. In english edera means ivy oil it is a multiuse oil.
    This is link where i found the oil naijamess.com

5. Anuolu

March 5, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Emu Oil is fantastic for restoring lost edges in a short period of time.
    You can get them here; konga.com/tabitha

• Abk

March 6, 2016 at 1:26 am

For restoring lost edges, I think the most effective method (from experience): a mixture of castor and coconut oil, with drops (I use a lot) of eucalyptus and peppermint oil. I massaged my scalp and edges frequently with it; I eventually started to see hair around my edges. My edges are now back. I constantly massaged my scalp at the time, whether my hair was in braids, weaves or not. And it worked.

6. Miss Mo

March 6, 2016 at 4:36 am

Rosemary oil and Amla oil (An Indian oil) too are very good for hair growth, darkening, strength and conditioning.

7. What can I use to grow my hair? Please don't recommend what you haven't used. Marketers stay off, I don't want another mecran saga pls.

March 6, 2016 at 9:13 am

Supplements not recommended?
    I currently have a pack of Perfectil gathering dust,has anyone used it?
    Yay or nay?

Really want to grow my hair, there are 10,000 products out there.
    Not up to 1% actually work.
    #sadsigh

8. aisha

March 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I have the most amazing dreadlocks. It’s just that relocking is hell. Any tips?

9. F

March 9, 2016 at 2:12 am

HEHEHE small, good to see your pics on here darling, I’ve seen your hair grow after your big chop in the past year it’s so amazing! And mine is still stuck, am coming to your house to get what you’re using!!!! lol, one love girl! See ya